PDA

View Full Version : Name your irrational favorite players over the years.

nickman
06-13-2001, 12:21 PM
For me Mark Bailey was one. A big fullback in the late 70's. Had a few good carries but never panned out.

I also liked Steve Fuller from that same era. Alas he could never throw well enough to play.

A few years ago I was a Sean LaChappel fan and here lately I find myself in Atkins and Andrea O'Neal's corner for no apparent reason.

Iowanian
06-13-2001, 12:34 PM
I liked Benny Thompson.....special teams psycho, fire hydrants nightmare....

~and most any underdog from Iowania

ck_IN
06-13-2001, 03:32 PM
Mine was Dino Hackett MLB/assasin from Appalachia State.

Ya just got to love a MLB that breaks his helmet in practice hitting his OWN teammates. The Chiefs haven't had an enforcer since he retired. :(

JOhn
06-13-2001, 03:48 PM
Sean LaChappel

ROFLMAO.....

ATTN ****KCWOLFMAN****

Gotta tell the other half someone else remembers him :D

nickman
06-13-2001, 03:50 PM
In my hopes he looked like he had the potential to become the next Cris Collinworth.. Did not happen

JOhn
06-13-2001, 03:53 PM
nickman,]

Just his name is funny. Back when we all were on the old KCSTAR BB, we had a get togather, and during the conversation Sean was brought up by Wolfmans wife, as her Favorite or something along those lines. So I harass him about it.

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2001, 04:40 PM
Mighty Mouse.

NaptownChief
06-13-2001, 05:18 PM
FB Ernie Thompson

Phobia
06-13-2001, 05:45 PM
Danan Hughes - a former Hawkeye and all around good guy. Gave it up on every play - ST ace and training camp home run champion for several years running. I hated to see him go. Our ST haven't been the same since he left.

Bob Dole
06-13-2001, 05:47 PM
Todd McNair and Jonathan Hayes.

(And Bob Dole still thinks Cloud will be okay given the right situation and opportunity...)

And you had to love the dog-at-the-fire-hydrant stunt Bennie Thompson pulled (even if you shook your head in disgust and pretended you thought it was inappropriate).

NaptownChief
06-13-2001, 05:50 PM
Now that Bob Dole mentioned it, I have to add Todd McNair to my list....When playing video games I would always pull out the starter and try to run McNair into the ground...

milkman
06-13-2001, 06:06 PM
Danan Hughes has to be on my list. You may or may not remember this, but when he was released, I was on the BB telling everyone that the STs would sorely miss him. As Phil has pointed out, STs haven't been the same since.

Another was LB Chris Martin. He gave it everything on every play.

Joe_Camel
06-13-2001, 06:30 PM
Keith Cash...The spike on the poster of Buddy Ryan was classic.

aturnis
06-13-2001, 07:19 PM
Mark McMillan, he always came through with a great int. when in mattered. I remember a few years back he intercepted one at the end of the season, and if he had run it into the inzone....he would have tied or broken a record for most int.'s returned in a season, problem was there was a HUGE player in his way, so he chose to live and run out of bounds rather than die with glory.

Lake Dawson, I loved watching the guy.....I remember one play he caught the ball streched out with one hand, fell into a somersalt rolling into the endzone for the TD....I miss the great memories of the early 90's dominant Chiefs.

Mark M
06-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Most of my past favs are already on here ... Cash (the hero against the Oilers in the '93 playoffs), Hackett (crazy s.o.b.), Hughes (made the most of what he had) and McNair (one of the most underutilized Chiefs players ever).

But my top was Saleamuea (sp? ... dang Samoans--sp? can't even spell their island correctly). He always seemed like he was having fun.

Right now it's Browning, mainly because my wife met him, got his autograph for me and he is a genuinely nice guy.

MM
~~Knows that being nice only gets one so far in the NFL.

Cormac
06-14-2001, 07:16 AM
Brian Shay! (j/k) :D

I always liked Lockett and Lake Dawson. Injuries or system kept them from being as good as they might have been. Currently I'm siding with Bartee.

ChiTown
06-14-2001, 07:50 AM
I'll jump on the Todd McNair wagon. I never saw a player pick up more key 3rd down plays for the Chiefs than this guy (possibly Marcus Allen as a close second in those situations).

My favorite quote about McNair was from Kevin Harlan when he was the Radio announcer for the Chiefs. McNair had just picked up a huge 3rd down in the 4th qtr against the Raiders at the LA Coliseum to help us wind down the clock for the win. Harlan says " Todd McNair, more versatile than a Swiss Army Knife." Classic quote!

Mark M
06-14-2001, 08:28 AM
I just remembered someone ...

"Touchdown" Joe Valerio. Four career receptions, four career touchdowns. One would think the opposition would've caught on to the ol' tackle eligible play.

MM
~~Loves to see O-linemen get their chance.

Iowanian
06-14-2001, 09:08 AM
i always liked Joe Phillips....He and Dan Saleamua always seemed to enjoy what they were doing.....not to mention the success of the D during their tenure.

~Assumed Dino Hackett was a given.

Phobia
06-14-2001, 11:07 AM
Jonathan Hayes and Kevin Lockett were on my list as well.

Hayes due to playing through diabetes and he was a Hawkeye.

Why did you list Hayes, Dole?

Lockett always popped up from a catch with a giant smile on his face. You gotta love someone who loves to play the game. I truly believe he left for a starting job not because he wanted a higher salary, he just wanted to touch the ball more often.

Uncle_Ted
06-14-2001, 12:08 PM
I've gotta vote for Danan Hughes as well. Back in college, I saw him make a snow angel in the end zone after a TD one wintry day ... back when the Hawks were tough. :)

JohninGpt
06-14-2001, 01:13 PM
I liked the left footed kicker we had in preseason the year after the kicker who's name I will not mention blew the Colts game. I think the guy's name was Bjorn Nitmo. One week he was bending nails on some construction crew and the next week he was in NFL training camp. Actually he made some good kicks in preseason but he was ultimately cut. Oh well, good underdog story without a happy ending.

John

aturnis
06-14-2001, 05:27 PM
Nick Gallery, never saw him play for us.....I don't think he made it past training camp.....but I'm voting for him cuz his house is about 6 miles from where I am now.....well, his families home. His little brother just graduated and is also a great Field Goal kicker, he may see the NFL field someday.....

NaptownChief
06-14-2001, 05:34 PM
I think Nittmo had a decent CFL career before getting cut in our camp...He was a pretty solid kicker...

Chiefaholic
06-14-2001, 09:54 PM
I've always been one of those guys that rooted for the underdog while everybody else rooted for the stars. A few of my personal favorites would be....

1. Anthony Davis- Drafted in the 11th round by Houston and came to KC virtually unknown.

2. Greg Manusky- He might not of had the physical skills to be a quality starter. But, he was one tough SOB on special teams.

3. Danan Hughes- Pretty much for the same reason as Manusky.

4. Erik Hicks- I recall this kid his first year in preseason and thought he had the skills to be a heck of a player. What more can you ask from a guy that nobody thought was good enough on draft day.

5. Mike Maslowski- I recall following this guy through in NFL Europe. Just think, he was originally penciled in as a long snapper. Fortunatly for the Chiefs, he got an opportunity to start due to an injury and turned out to be NFL Europe defensive MVP. ( Doesn't he look intimidating as heck with his helmet off? He just looks mean)

6. Louie Aguiar- Yeah, a punter seems like an odd favorite. But, how many punters were as consistant as Louie? When you were deep in the opponents endzone, you could count on Louie to get the ball off befor the defense got to him.

7. Kimble Anders- An undrafted FA castaway from Pittsburgh that the Chiefs turned into a perenial Probowler.

8. Tony Richardson- This guy doesn't get enough recognition for the pounding hits he lays on opposing LB's. A class act that does his job well when called upon and NEVER complains about lack of carries.

This year..... Terdell Sands- While I admit I've never seen him play. How can you not root for a guy of his size to not at least make the practice squad? Obviously from his collegic record he's not the brightest guy on the field. Hopefully our assist. coaches can teach him the fundamentals since academics won't keep him off the field in the NFL.

Alton deFlat
06-15-2001, 01:05 PM
I think Nitmo might have made the team had the Chiefs not traded for Pete Stoyo late in the pre-season. Seems like that's when that all happened.

58Forever
06-15-2001, 01:59 PM
Morris Stroud...any guy that could block a FG by standing under the goal post and batting it away is okay in my book....

Yeah, Yeah, I don't think he ever did it, but at least he tried..:D

nickman
06-15-2001, 02:03 PM
I think Stroud did actually block a couple. How many out there remember Walter White? He had a couple of good years before he went away.

58Forever
06-15-2001, 02:41 PM
Can you imagine if that was still legal...every time would have an 7 foot B-Ball player with a 40" vertical jump

nickman
06-15-2001, 02:44 PM
Yeah they are just taking all the fun out of it. I can still remember the comments that Stram like to surround himself with very tall players. I remember a picture of him between Buchanan and Ernie Ladd at 6'9".

58Forever
06-15-2001, 02:58 PM
I played golf in the same tourny as Hank one day, he's a short little bastard anyway, shorter then me and no one will ever confuse me with a basketball player...:D

But damn, he did have some big/tall players....

nickman
06-15-2001, 03:00 PM
He was a good coach for the first decade. Then he got hung up on the loyalty thing and never adjusted to the changes in the game and got passed by. Had some great years and great players.

KCPHILLY
06-15-2001, 06:26 PM
BENNY THOMPSON was an animal. I think he came from the JETS or GIANTS. I remember being excited when I heard we picked him up and he didn't disappoint.

I was always a big supporter of McNAIR. Never understood why he didn't see more touches.

SALEAMUA no doubt. Wasn't he originally a "scab" who hung on from the strike or "plan B" FA or something? Had a hell of a nose for the ball.

What I liked most about AGUIAR was he was never afraid to lay some wood on someone... shame he had to do it so often towards the end.

I was a MIGHTY MOUSE fan from his PHILLY days. He became a little to animated though.

Always wanted to see TRICH get more involved. Glad to see he's finally getting his props. Also felt strong on HICKS the first time I saw him.

I'd have to say O'NEIL is a guy I'd like to see get a shot now .

In the mid to late 90's there was a Safety from KU or KSU. I don't think he ever made the cut but I remember a few years of pre-season. He used to lay some serious hits on people. Sometimes helmet to helmet. I think a hit may have ended his chances of a career. I think his name was TERRY? Does anyone remember this guy?

Clint in Wichita
06-15-2001, 06:56 PM
A safety with the last name "Terry" (Doug, maybe?) that played for the Chiefs in the early/mid 90s. Not that talented, but an insane hitter.

JOhn
06-15-2001, 06:59 PM
Yea that was him. I remember the preseason when he was trying to make the team. Knocked himself out in a hit against a BILLS player. Had to be taken of the field on a stretcher. he did make the team for a year or 2

Rick Stephens
06-15-2001, 07:37 PM
While reading this thread there are some great names from the past mentioned. Morris Stroud was mentioned and I can remember a game where he leaped up and caught the ball just before it got to the crosssbar which was legal back then.

Does anyone here remember when Hank Stram worked out Wilt Chamberlin and was trying to sign him to a Chiefs contract. This is true, Stram wanted Chamberlain to stand in front of the goal post to jump up and knock the ball down before it crossed the crossbar for a field goal and wanted him as a tight end. Hank said that there were no defensive backs in the AFL who could cover a 7' tight end. I can remember Hank saying how impressed he was at Wilt catching and handling a football.

You had to love Hank he was always looking for guys who would give him and edge. He was truly an innovator as a head coach.

Bearcat
06-15-2001, 08:33 PM
Brian Shay... because I saw him play at NWMSU one time, and he looked like the next Barry Sanders.

And now he's at the same place Barry is..... home.

TEX
06-15-2001, 11:13 PM
Jack Lambert was my all time irrational player. That guy was just plain STUPID - MEAN!
A guy named Butkis had a screw loose also!

nickman
06-15-2001, 11:52 PM
Yeah Doug Terry was the name you were looking for. He was a tweener. Not fast enough for corner and not big enough for safety but he sure could hit.

nickman
06-16-2001, 12:00 AM
How many remember MacArthur Lane?

TEX
06-16-2001, 12:42 AM
I remember McArther Lane well...what an A$$ but he could run!

KCJohnny
06-17-2001, 01:59 PM
In no order:
Todd McNair. This guy COOKED.
Sean Lachappelle. I thought he was good!
Donnell Bennett. Cannot explain it. The sight of Bennett busting through the Oakland secondary is one of my all time greatest Chiefs memories.

KCJ

nickman
06-18-2001, 06:35 AM
Yes KC your support of Donnell was legandary. Especially in the face of his less than 1 yard a carry. I cannot figure out whether he was not good enough or just unlucky. Seems like he got hit in the backfield more than the others, but was that lack of mobility or just the fact that they knew basically what he was going to do.

Maybe he will turn it on in WASH.

California Injun
06-18-2001, 08:11 AM
Anyone remember Robb Thomas WR?

He was an early version of Tim Dwight. Small white guy that could run with pretty good hands.

Phobia
06-18-2001, 10:31 AM
Yeah - Robb Thomas rocked. He wasn't the fastest guy nor were his routes the most crisp but when he caught the ball, he hung onto it. I remember several times when he was laid out so bad, he had to be helped off the field but he always hung onto the ball.

Mark M
06-18-2001, 11:04 AM
Robb Thomas!! Great call ... gave skinny white guys like me hope! Too bad I'm slower than the last day of school. :(

No one's listed Ted Popson. The block he threw when he took out two players so Gannon (I think it was Gannon ... could've been Elvis) could score a rushing TD was a freaking classic!! He just laid himself out flat, taking out one guy with his upper body and the second with his legs when he swung around.

MM
~~Hardly ever forgets a good block.

Baby Lee
06-18-2001, 11:07 AM
My ego is too large to call any of my favorite players irrational. Dino Hacket was a MAN, the man when I was growing up. Steve Deberg was a journeyman who was the right QB at the right time for our team. Just when Schott was putting the hard-nosed D, here's this throwback, playing with a broken pinky, guy at QB to give the O some cred.
The guy I liked who I think the board will find most irrational is, say it with me, Elvis. Maybe I'm a neophyte, but I had never seen someone so hated by the hometown fans make so much improvement throughout the years. To me it was like if Roseanne had started the National Anthem the way for which she was so famous, then when the booinbg commenced, she summoned up the ability to outsing Whitney Houston by midsong. His decision to leave notwithstanding, Elvis embodies [for me] the adage "don't let the bastards get you down."

Alton deFlat
06-18-2001, 11:17 AM
How about Gary Barbero or better yet, Elmo Wright. Ya gotta love that name.

Mark M
06-18-2001, 11:18 AM
JC--
DeBerg actually broke his pinky, not his thumb. But I remember them trying to put in place and he trying to take snaps with it no more than 5 minutes after it was snapped. He's forever in my book as someone who had more guts than ability ... and that counts for a lot.

MM
~~Will forever respect DeBerg.

Baby Lee
06-18-2001, 12:21 PM
Thumb? Who said thumb?

JC-Johnny

- - loving the 'edit' function. :) :) :)

rexrx
06-18-2001, 01:50 PM
A guy who tried twice to make the team and each time came up short-----

Kirby Dar Dar

Love the name. Love the TD he scored in pre-season at Arrowhead. Ah, we could've been a contender!

nickman
06-18-2001, 01:53 PM
JC- I would agree that Hackett was probably not an irrational choice.. He was good and entertaining to watch. I was thinking more of guys that sat the bench or were in training camp you got attached to despite their obvious short comings.

Lightning Rod
06-18-2001, 03:00 PM
Willy Tait? TE Preseason player that caught everything.

Brain Shay- Would have easily surpassed Walter Payton if he only had a chance.... and some talent :)

Iowanian
06-18-2001, 03:06 PM
you all forgot Jesse"butterfinger" Haynes.

~As a NWMSU alum I wanted to see him succeed.

Lightning Rod
06-18-2001, 03:09 PM
Haynes

Ah yes wasn't he " The secret weapon"

spe725
06-18-2001, 03:15 PM
Yes, the "secret weapon"...

April 19, 1998
Grunhard On Jesse Haynes,

"(Jesse Haynes) may be one of the best backs we've had here in a long time. And I've been with a lot of great ones. (The Chiefs) put him on the practice squad on purpose last year. They didn't play him in the preseason last year because they were afraid if anybody saw him on film that they would go grab him right away," said Chiefs' center Tim Grunhard.

Lightning Rod
06-18-2001, 03:19 PM
Oh by the way,

Where the heck are all you Ted White is the next Farve/Elway/Young all wrapped into one. The "GREATIST FREE AGENT PICK OF ALL TIME!" guys at? he he he LMAO

Iowanian
06-18-2001, 03:22 PM
I watched Haynes a few times in college...he definitely looked like the real deal at DIII....but so did Brian Shay;)

~didn't go to many games because most of the football players were arseholes and the team pretty much sucked......the winning thing started after my sr year.

~Haynes could have been good if he didn't drop the ball every 3 carries.

Phobia
06-18-2001, 03:23 PM
I certainly wasn't one of those White-asm posters. I was looking forward to seeing him do something but I can honestly say I never pimped him as the "next anything". That and the Shay fans just goes to show that a STARved fan will say just about anything sometimes.....