PDA

View Full Version : Your best day

Lightning Rod
06-14-2001, 12:06 PM
The topic on who would you invite to dinner got me thinking. I’m still working on the answer to that and an answer to the following. Using the "City slickers" rulebook, ya can’t say the day you got married or the day your kid was born. If you could go back in time and re-live one day. What would it be? What was your best day?

Gaz
06-14-2001, 12:21 PM
The day I watched my Dad bowl a 300.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still waiting for his shot at perfection.

keg in kc
06-14-2001, 12:37 PM
That's a tough one. I've had a couple of good days (as compared to many, many bad ones).

Probably the best one was playing baseball as a senior in high school, striking out 17 or 18 batters in shutout against a highly-rated team during a local tournament in front of lots of scouts. I guess most of my glorious memories were as a pitcher, but most of my worst are, as well; I could have been good, I think, but I had a terrible attitude and temper following my recovery from knee surgery. It has probably cost me millions, literally. But, despite that, I still have a few random memories, all involving large numbers of strike outs, hehe, and this tournament is the one most remembered.

A close second is the first day I played at the Montreaux Jazz Festival in Switzerland a few years ago, with my college jazz ensemble. That was an amazing time.

Lightning Rod
06-14-2001, 12:43 PM
This is a tough one.
I might have been my 24th??? Birthday. I went to the local drinking establishment for a few. I saw a girlfriend I had recently split up with, sitting with her new guy. I wasn’t all that happy about it. The next thing I new gal after gal after gal came up and asked me to dance. Must have been 20 of them, never have I received that kind of attention before or since. The old girl friend had quite the scowl on her face, it was truly priceless. At the end of the evening a pretty young thing I was aquatinted with took me home and she had continued to give presents.

That was a good day

Phobia
06-14-2001, 12:54 PM
My best day was Feb 28, 1991. I rode a 5 ton truck into Kuwait City 1 day after the last Iraqi rode out of town. I've never seen a more jubilant bunch of people in my life. I was tired, filthy, hungry, and hadn't been laid or seen my family in 6 months (exclusive of one another :D), but that was probably the best day of my life.

Still waiting on 3 women + me in a bed and maybe the best day will change.... ;)

JohninGpt
06-14-2001, 01:06 PM
The day I completed Chief Petty Officers Initiation. After enduring two months of intense training, one night of extremely intense training, and a session in "court", I was accepted as a peer and an equal. The relief I felt when the Master Chief said "congratulations Chief", and I realized he was talking to me was incredible. Something like this doesn't mean a whole lot to most people, but I know there are a few members of this board who are or have been in the Navy that know what I'm talking about.

John,
Chief Petty Officer, USN

KPhobia,
Shortly after you rolled into Kuwait City in a 5 Ton, I rolled into Zakho in Northern Iraq in a 2 1/2 Ton with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 133. I don't count that as a great day though, that was the beggining of our deployment not the end :rolleyes: .

ChiTown
06-14-2001, 02:11 PM
The whole experience of being at Game 7 of the 1985 World Series, and watching the Royals beat the STL Cardinals. It was a day filled with emotion and exitement and one that I'll never forget. That has to rank right up there with the first time I got laid.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2001, 04:44 PM
BIG DADDYs best day was when one of his receptionists who had recently graduated and her best freind were leaving and probably wouldn't be able to see each other again. Her freind was going away to college and she had just received her first big break as a model and was leaving for L.A. They wanted to go out for some sushi and wanted to know if I would take them for a farewell present. A bunch of sake and a few screw drivers later I opened up the club to go hot tubbing and let's just say one thing led to the next.:D It was an all night affair.

BIG DADDY

Would love to live that night over.

Clint in Wichita
06-14-2001, 05:19 PM
I'm still waiting on mine.

If this topic were about HYPOTHETICAL best days, it would be much easier to come up with an answer.

Otter
06-14-2001, 06:04 PM
Lucky enough to have a couple days that would fit into this category, but since we are on a football board…

Played high school football for a small Catholic School. We pretty much sucked year in and year out but one game stands out above all.

We were playing the Raiders of our division - the hated Miners. They kicked our arse every year and then rubbed it in and added insult to injury with late hits, eye poking and jabs to the kidneys in the pile that would grow around the ball.

We would have short-lived vengeance although, compliments of yours truly.

On that cool autumn night I ate up the miner corner backs like a plate of hot wings during Monday Night Football in present day.

I had a total of 10 catches for 172 yards. Two of them being over the shoulder, in stride, TD catches for over 55 total yards. One of the two was actually an over the shoulder, in stride, one-handed catch for a TD. To add insult to injury in return I threw a TD pass into a very crowded end zone. It was a 30-yard throw, on a frozen rope, to my fellow WR who wasn’t facing me or stationary when the throw was made. Hit him right between the numbers as soon as he turned around.

To this day I’m glad that night happened not only for the short-lived glory but also because I have a miniature idea of what goalie Patrick Roy or even Joe Montana meant when the say “I was in the zone that day.” I think I said a total of 5 words that game. No end zone celebrations and when I wasn’t playing I would stand alone on the side lines facing the game but not watching what was going on. Kind of surreal actually.

Wish I knew what happened that night.

BIG_DADDY
06-14-2001, 06:09 PM
This is a football BB? Oh yea, sorry.

BIG DADDY

Gets carried away sometimes.;)

Otter
06-14-2001, 06:13 PM
Big Daddy,

Who cares if its a football board or not! I'd trade my day with your day in a minute!

You could have the pokes in the eye and watching your back for 2 months. I'll take the bubble baths and women. ;)

jAZ
06-14-2001, 06:54 PM
I haven't had kids yet, so I suspect my best day has yet to come.

But so far, my best day was college graduation. I spent 10 years working towards my degree (ok the first 4 weren't exactly spent "working"). I had to give a speech at commencement dinner, and I told the audience that I owed my wife an apology, because that night (started crying, BIG SAP!) was the best of my life... even better than our wedding day.

Some people were pretty unhappy with that, but my wife understood. She was proud too.

It was a pretty good day. :)

Mark M
06-15-2001, 05:52 AM
Can I have BIG_DADDY's day??? ;) You, sir, are a lucky man. Came close to that once ... I guess the girls just weren't drunk enough (although they were just as fine one at a time :D )

Actually, my best day was November 2, 1985. While I'm paying for it now in some ways, I had my first cigarette, first beer, first doobie and first lay in the span of 5 hours at a friends party. The cigarette was a Marlboro, the beer a Heineken, the weed of the kindest variety and the girl a senior while I was a freshman.

MM
~~Went from being a geek to being popular in one night.