PDA

View Full Version : First off, congrats to the 76ers on a great season and series...

Chiefs Pantalones
06-15-2001, 11:08 PM
you guys played with heart and determination. My hats off to the 6ers. Good job, guys. We'll see you guys again next year.

CG

My hats off to AI and co. don't walk with your heads down

Chiefs Pantalones
06-15-2001, 11:11 PM
And congrats to the Lakers, boy this is sweet, but it would be sweeter if it was the Chiefs, IMO, because I love football more than basketball.

CG

is waiting on destiny to hit One Arrowhead Drive once again

Chiefs Pantalones
06-15-2001, 11:23 PM
And my thoughts on Iverson have changed, this guy really does play with heart, I seen it on pregame when I looked into his eyes, you can tell the guy loves the game, and respects it and his teammates.

CG

took me awhile to find out what AI is all about

TEX
06-16-2001, 12:10 AM
Cody,
Your Lakers could learn a thing from you about CLASS! ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2001, 01:01 AM
Seriously, TX,

I now know what AI and his team are all about, I just couldn't see it at first, but it was right before the game, and it was just one of those things, I looked into AIs eyes and you could see all the heart and passion that guy had, and that he was going to try to pull his team through. A great moment, IMO.

CG

I'd rather have a player with heart on my team, than one with potential. AI could play on my team anyday

California Injun
06-16-2001, 01:07 AM
Cody,

You've obviously become mesmerized by NBC and the rest of the Eastern biased media.

True, the Sixers played hard this series but they had no more "heart" and "determination" than the Lakers did.

L.A. went into Philly and took 3 straight and did it convincingly. All one has to do is look back at the end of Game #2 when Iverson was running his smack at Kobe and clapping as he walked off the floor at Staples. (And that was classy?)

Philly figured they'd at least win 2 of 3 to take command of this series. There was even talk about them rolling the Lakers 3 straight "because our house will be rockin' as we got the best fans in the NBA."

No it was the Lakers that showed the "determination" and "guts" to take 3 straight in a hostile environment.

It was the "look" in the Lakers eyes that showed who wanted this series more.

I'm still waiting to hear the excuse Iverson will have about blowing off the postgame press conference.

Probably because he took this loss personal, eh? Maybe his "heart" was broken? The media will spin it around to make him look like a heroic warrior so who cares.

The trophy is back where it belongs and that is in Los Angeles.

Victory parade this Monday at Staples...

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2001, 01:16 AM
Cali,

I know the Lakers have heart and determination, too. And the better team won. But you gotta give credit to Philly. They never went away, and were usually in the game. They just didn't have the talent of the Lakers or to, of course, stop Shaq. He is so dominent. Like Kobe said, enjoy him, because he's the last center like this; one that can dominate a game like he does, inside the paint, and doesn't settle for jump shots. And the crap that those guys talk (like when AI and Kobe were jawing at each other, etc) thats basketball. Its all apart of the game, and just because they are making excuses and saying "we get no respect" that doesn't mean that they don't have respect for each other. Thats the competiveness of althletes, they'll make excuses, and such. Its great, IMO. Everything about it is great, IMO.

Logical
06-16-2001, 01:50 AM
Cody,

No disrespect intended but are you bouncing off the walls in your room. You just sound so totally hyper. Congratulations, there has been only four times after a Pro Sporting event that I remember having the type of emotions you are exhibiting.

1) Chiefs Superbowl victory
2) Royals finally beat Yankees and make it too WS
3) Royals win World Series
4) First time Laker won NBA title over Boston (God I still hate Boston and they are now pathetic)

Enjoy it these times are indeed fun.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2001, 04:13 AM
Jim,

Nope, I'm not. It just sounds like that. I'm excited, but I would be more excited if this were the Chiefs.:D. I know where you are coming from though, thats why I like talking (voices) better instead of typing, because with typing, you can't tell if a person is serious, etc, because you can't hear his/her voice, etc.

But don't get me wrong, I'm excited, I love it when Championships are won, but I'd rather this be the Chiefs, they are wayyyyyy over due.

CG

can't wait til the Chiefs hold up the Lombardi Trophy once again

milkman
06-16-2001, 08:42 AM
The east coast bias of the media makes it more difficult to acknowledge and give props to the 6ers for the heart they displayed throughout the playoffs.
And the fact they they never gave any credit to the Lakers for the heart that they displayed made it even more difficult.

But the fact remains, they (the 6ers) did play with heart, and never gave up.
One needs only look to the the Spurs for an example of a team that was totally opposite to the 6ers.
When you look at those two teams, the Spurs were a more talented and balanced team. But Philly battled until the bitter end. The Spurs quit after game 2.

Now, when you combine talent and heart, then you have the Lakers.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2001, 11:00 AM
Good point, Milkman, well said.

California Injun
06-16-2001, 11:04 AM
Logical,

I vividly remember that Game #6 victory over the Celtics in The Gahden because I was there at the Forum for Game #5 expecting to run out on the court like an idiot to celebrate the first series win over the Celtics.

But then Dennis Johnson hit that jumper and I was left to drowing my sorrow in my lukewarm flat beer.

I do not feel one bit sorry for the Celtics and cannot wait until Red Aurebach's coaching Finals record gets dropped to #2 by Phil Jackson.

Or when the Lakers get #17 to topple the Celts 16 Titles.

Useless trivia: Did you know that Rick Fox chose #17 as a way to get back at the Celtics? He felt when they let him go that they would never get #17 so he throws this on his back to remind himself of the way he was treated in Beantown.

Gotta love that!!!

Logical
06-16-2001, 08:14 PM
Cal Injun

That is a great piece of trivia thanks.

nickman
06-17-2001, 01:21 AM
I can see the Lakers are the best there is right now. I still would like to see Shaq play basketball. I grow weary of watching him drop his shoulder and bash the opponent out of the way and then dunk. Watch old 80's basketball on ESPN classic and see how little contact there was back then.. That was basketball with flash and flow, not flash and bash.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-17-2001, 02:42 AM
nickman,

Actually...you kind of hit it right on the nail, earlier in the year, Shaq said that he's a football player that plays basketball, and will not try to change for the worst, but the best.

CG

whatever gets the "W's" and the Championships!

California Injun
06-17-2001, 11:36 AM
nickman,

You obviously overlooked the Moses Malone era in 1980s where he completely dominated the paint.

How about Darryl Dawkins with his multiple names for his dunks?

Kevin McHale's clotheslining of Kurt Rambis on that lay-up?

Maurcie Lucas (The Enforcer) for the Blazers?

Bill Lambier on the Pistons. Hell, the whole Bad Boy Pistons themselves!

Shaq's been in the league close to 8 years and nobody said anything about his style of play until he grabbed a ring last year. Now that he has stepped up his FT % this year he is getting slammed for size and ability to rumble to the hole.

Maybe the other players need to step up their games to offset the Diesel's awesome inside presence.

Give the man his due for dedicating himself to becoming a better player. We all know his singing career is not salvagable...

BIG_DADDY
06-17-2001, 12:54 PM
CI,

Interesting info. on Fox. Thanx. Do you think when Phil Jackson passes Auerbach they will rename the trophy for coach of the year to the Phil Jackson trophy?

I get tired of hearing everyone complain about Shaq. They foul the hell out of him and if he makes the bucket there is always a no call. They are changing the defences next year to allow more people to guard him as well which in BIG DADDY's opinion is a rule specifically aimed at him.He deserves everything he gets and then some. They can change the rules all they want but there never going to stop Shaq. :D

IMHO, the 76ers must sign Mutombo to have a chance of winning a championship. Can you imagine this series without Mr. leading with his beak.

Tx,

That last basket is still burning your arse, isn't it?

California Injun
06-18-2001, 12:20 AM
Daddy,

The NBA instituted the zone to eliminate the isolation plays seen so frequently. You know where the 4 other players stand on the opposite side above the 3 point line thereby drawing the other 4 defenders above the paint?

The zone will not affect fast breaking teams or the ones who can get into their sets quickly. If your outside guys are nailing the 3s then you won't see coaches use the zones too much.

As for the Diesel getting 5 guys on him? No way. The skill level in today's players prohibits leaving them wide open. Besides, we've seen a floating zone used effectively in the NBA so all this rule does is get rid of the stupid "illegal defense" calls by the refs.

Now if they would call travelling, palming, and 3 seconds like the rulebooks say.........