PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 80's Computer Games/Arcade Games

Herzig
06-18-2001, 10:42 PM
Ok...feeling nostalgic again...i opened up my MAME emulator and had a blast from the past.. Here are a few of my favorites..

Disregard my order of things

1. The Zork Trilogy(Infocom games in general)
2. Gyruss(pumped many a quarter into this one)
3. Wizardry series PC games
4. Star Wars (stick graphics game)
5. Centipede
6. Elevator Action (Yeaaaah baby!!!))
7. Master of the Lamps(old Commodore 64..showing my age)
8. Bosconian (alie!!! alie!!!)
9. Donkey Kong series
10. Crazy Climber ( watchout for falling Sh*t!!!)...(Ouch!!!!!!)
11. Missle Command (classic)
12. Asteroids...ditto
13. Star Castle
14. Omega Race
15. Pitfall Harry
16. Pole Position
17. Time Pilot
18. Joust
19. Tempest
20. Defender

AustinChief
06-18-2001, 10:51 PM
Dig Dug!!!

...many hours at Pizza Hut in St. Joe....

--Kyle

Herzig
06-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Had to leave you guys a few!!!

JOhn
06-18-2001, 10:56 PM
Lemmings? I think that was the name of it.

Zork, that was the text based one right? Loved it.

Herzig
06-18-2001, 11:01 PM
JOhn...yep that's it... I had Enchanter, Planetfall, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well....all Infocom text-based games(made you use the old brain and imagination!!))

Herzig
06-18-2001, 11:06 PM
Did anyone ever get the old "Compute" Magazine and type their own games in Basic and machine language into their old 80's computers????

Spent many an hour doing this too...

Logical
06-18-2001, 11:14 PM
1. Missle Command (this is where the biggest percentage of my Qtrs went)
2. Centipede(also pumped a lot of quarters into this one)
3. Asteroids...ditto
4. PacMan Series (got to good at the patterns and became bored)
5. Donkey Kong series

Definitely DigDug

There were a ton of others but fortunately I have been able to forget, so maybe I did not waste too much money on them.

AJKCFAN
06-18-2001, 11:18 PM
In my eyes, nothing could ever beat the Intellivision Games.

I would literally kill to have the system repaired... still have the 90 cartridges stored away somewhere to play.

Got a Playstation Intellivision Classics game and that is simply amazing to go back and feel good!

Baby Lee
06-18-2001, 11:26 PM
1. Yeah, I too spent many an hour inputting games from COMPUTE magazine.

2. Pac-Man [actually Ms. Pac-Man, its faster] is STILL my favorite arcade game.

3. Hated Dig Dug, so slow. Get into trouble with one wrong move and 10-15 seconds of furious button pounding later, the inevitable comes to pass.

4. True love is pinball - '80's were great with the multi-levels and rails and extra flippers, etc. Pinbot, Haunted House, Addams Family [may have been in the '90's].

Rausch
06-18-2001, 11:48 PM
Galliga and the original Gauntlet that four people could play. 88 still counts as 80's!!!

I'm a videogame collector. I had one of the old ATARI's, the 7800 atari, still have an original NES, Sega Saturn, 3DO, Playstation, PS2(WAAAAAAAAY overrated and Dreamcast is a better buy) and a Dreamcast.

I still think the best home video game ever made was Excite Bike for the original NES....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ramps............

DaWolf
06-19-2001, 12:39 AM
I think some of the Ultima games I played were from the 80's. Those were pretty cool at the time. The Bards Tale series was good at the time too.

BTW, speaking of old games, if anyone wants to play some of the classic old PC games, go to:

http://www.theunderdogs.org/

They have a nice selection and a hall of fame.

Games sure have come a long way:

John Elway's Quarterback: 1987 (worst football game ever)
http://www.theunderdogs.org/games/j/jqback/jqback-c.jpg

John Madden Football: 1989
http://www.theunderdogs.org/games/j/jmadden/jmadden.jpg

Hardball 2: 1989
http://www.theunderdogs.org/games/h/hardball2/hardball2.jpg

Budokan: 1989
http://www.theunderdogs.org/games/b/budokan/budokan.jpg

KCinNY
06-19-2001, 01:05 AM
Missle Command was the most addictive ever, hated those damn smartbombs.

Galaga was a great one too.

AustinChief
06-19-2001, 01:57 AM
JC Johnny,

Mrs. Pac-Man!!!

I still haven't seen a Mrs. Pac-man game that I didn't beat the high score... (My only claim to fame!)

Love that game....

--Kyle

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2001, 02:54 AM
Championship Baseball - that game was impossible to beat. If it were down 10 runs it would score 11 to win. It wrote the book on computer/game cheating.

Herzig
06-19-2001, 03:03 AM
Da Wolf,

I loved Ultima III(Exodus)...that game consumed me until I finished it.

Herzig
06-19-2001, 03:05 AM
Tecmo Football was an all-time favorite with me and all of my friends

Punchout was another one....

Rausch
06-19-2001, 05:04 AM
TECMO BOWL-Pick the Faiders and run the snot out of Bo Jackson and ya' can't loose1

Tecmo Super Bowl-use the Steelers and the Merril Hodge/Barry Foster combo to maulball to easy wins...

Great games...

I think the current Madden series of games, especially the PS2 Madden, have dominated games "cheating" to win.....

Stryker
06-19-2001, 06:53 AM
Don't forget TRON and Moon Patrol.

Also Karatika! (Com 64). I too liked the Intellivision. We had them all growing up. I still have an NES, SNES, PSX, Dreamcast and N64.

I too believe that the PS2 is overrated. I'll wait for X-Box!

One of my very favorites would still have to be Asteroids and then Gyruss.

~ Have I played my life away :confused: I sure as hell have :p

Iowanian
06-19-2001, 08:30 AM
No "double dragon" :eek:

Tron
Afterburner
bubble bubble
space invaders
FROGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The game that made the most thrill was "custer's revenge".....I think I just liked it because it had Atari boobies though :)

htismaqe
06-19-2001, 08:35 AM
We played Tecmo Super Bowl until our thumbs would bleed...

I once rushed for 6351 yards in a single season with Christian Okoye...and DT had 61 sacks...

KCTitus
06-19-2001, 08:41 AM
Just a few of my favs...

Spy Hunter, Super Sprint, Wizard of Wor, Out Run, Galaga, Cliff Hanger and Dragons Lair.

Clint in Wichita
06-19-2001, 08:42 AM
I have a PS2, and I agree that many of the games available right now aren't worth purchasing...they rarely are when a system debuts.

However, many of the most anticipated titles will become available later this year such as Metal Gear Solid 2, Resident Evil 4, etc. As far as sports games, Madden 2001 on the PS2 is easily the best sports game ever IMO...including any PC game, and that does include graphics. It's worth the purchase price by itself, if you've got someone to play against. Not even a top-end PC with a GForce 3 video card can surpass the PS2.

BTW, the Dreamcast is going the way of the Atari. They've already quit making them, thus the low price. I recently read that Sega is getting out of the hardware market entirely and will begin developing software for the PS2.:eek:

It is a little pricey, but it is the most impressive system I've ever seen. It reminds me of the leap forward we all saw when the ColecoVision came out!

Clint in Wichita
06-19-2001, 08:45 AM
Titus,

I had forgotten all about Cliff Hanger. That game kicked arse!! I wish I could get my hands on one of those full-sized coin-op games!!

I've repeatedly heard about "emulators". What are they, how do they work, and where can I get one?

KCTitus
06-19-2001, 08:55 AM
I recently read on a website, digitalleisure.com that is mainly geared towards Dragons Lair that the same group is trying to purchase the rights to Cliff Hanger to release a PC version of the game.

The full size version of the game is VERY rare as only about 600 were actually in the U.S. alone.

Clint in Wichita
06-19-2001, 09:03 AM
Then it's really amazing that the one I played was located in a convenient store in Haysville, KS.

KCTitus
06-19-2001, 09:07 AM
The one I played was at a mall, so yes, it's pretty amazing...

Here's the site dedicated to the game:

http://www.100megspopup.com/cliffhanger/

HC_Chief
06-19-2001, 09:10 AM
Clint is correct: the PS2 kicks some serious booty! :) Only problem: limited games right now. I own only three PS2 games: SSX(the BEST PS2 game!!!!), Madden 2001(I Prefer Uneccesary Roughness on the PC - only because it has a better team editor and you can create your own plays/playbook), and Kessan(WAY too short - but a very cool RTS)

The thing that sets the PS2 above all the others(including the upcoming X-Box): it plays PS1 games(backwards compatible) and it plays DVD movies :D

Speaking of PS1 games, Tony Hawk Pro Skater is <i>almost</i> as addictive as SSX. Soul Reaver is the coolest PS1 game I've ever played :)

Mark M
06-19-2001, 09:24 AM
Ahhh ... memories. I think this was listed in another thread, but for all of you old game fans out there, search for something called "mame" with whatever search engine you prefer (I use www.dogpile.com). You can download an emulator and over 3,000 old ROMs. Got it here at work (for Mac) and at home (for PC).

My two favs are Tempest and Tron, although the Tron ROM isn't out yet. :( Also like 1941 and Galaga, although I suck at both. I dig pinball games ... need to get one!

As far as the PS2, X-Box and GameCube go, word is the X-Box should blow them all away (the GameCube is from Nintendo and is for kids anyway, IMO). The X-Box has a 8 GB hard drive so no memory card will be needed, will come internet compatible right out of the box and have the same amount of games the PS2 will, only they will be released quicker. Microsoft has talked to a lot of game developers to see what they like in programming for a system, so it should be easier to develop games for it (unlike the PS2, which I hear is a pain in the a$$ to program for).

HC--
You can play PSX games on the PS2 which would be great for me since I have a PSX (complete with Mod Chip ... beautful thing!), but the resolution is the same and I can't play my "backup copies" on it. If Bleem could've had their packs done before the DC died, I would by a DC just so I can have enhanced resolution for my PSX games. They have a Gran Turismo 2 pack (best game I've ever played) and, after playing it on a friends DC, it's AMAZING!! Incredible resolution. Now if they could only get one out for Tomb Raider, my wife would buy one (she loves the TR series).

Can you tell I'm into this stuff?? It's too bad I don't have more $$. :(

MM
~~Needs a raise to support his gaming habit.

HC_Chief
06-19-2001, 09:26 AM
Mark - actually, you can adjust the spin speed and smoothness of graphics on the PS2. It makes a big difference on the PSX games :)

X-Box has some bada$$ titles coming out. Only problem: they scrapped the DVD player :mad:

Mark M
06-19-2001, 09:29 AM
HC--
What???!!!! When did this happen? I read something about the E3 convention and didn't hear about that.

Well ... that sucks. The PS2 still won't play my copies, which is what most of my games are.

MM
~~Will pay later for cheating now.

Stryker
06-19-2001, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind that eventhough the Dreamcast is going out that there are a heck of a lot of games that are cool and available for it. I also like the fact that the games are downloadable off of the newsgroups for FREE! :D I have approximately 135 DC games and more and more are becomming available.

I do aggree that Madden 2001 on the PS2 is the BEST I have ever seen.

For the arcade/coin-op emulator and games go to

mameplay.net (http://www.mameplay.net)

You will find all of your favorites! :cool:

I have a coin-op machine I got for $200 worth of computer parts 8 years ago in a trade (today I would say I got the better end of the deal :cool: ). It was a Missle Command upright that was converted to a Street Fighter II. I found that on ebay you can buy the JAMMA boards and the marquees as well for various games to convert the coin-op on the fly.

Stryker
06-19-2001, 09:50 AM
Mark M:

High five from Baton Rouge! I too have the MOD chip in my PSX. I had a neighbor come over to my house 1 1/2 years ago with a hand full of chips that someone had given him and he asked me if I knew what they were. When I looked into his hand I felt my knees go weak :p They were MOD chips so off to work I went installing them in mine, his and another friend. I started going to every Blockbuster and the like renting games to burn with Prasasi CD Right! Plus. After 237 games I called it quits (no more room in my CD tower :D ).

I bought the Dreamcast when one of those friends had 86 games from the Warez groups and I found out that I did not have to install any chips in the DC. When I heard about the newsgroups, DiskJuggler and CDRWin...well you know the rest! ;)

~sometimes he who delays does not pay!

HC_Chief
06-19-2001, 10:00 AM
Mark - I guess they put it back in (<i>many</i> people b*tched and moaned when M$ announced it's removal) It WILL play DVD movies, but a remote 'upgrade' is required. <table width=320 border=2 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0><tr><td colspan=4><center><b>Specifications of Xbox and PlayStation 2</b></center></td></tr><tr><td width=33%>&nbsp; </td><td width=33%><b>Xbox</b></td><td width=33%><b>PlayStation 2</b></td><td width=33%><b>Nintendo Gamecube</b></td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>CPU</b></td><td width=33%>733 MHz Intel</td><td width=33%>300 MHz</td><td width=33%>405 MHz</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Graphics Processor</b></td><td width=33%>250 MHz custom-designed X-Chip, developed by Microsoft and NVIDIA</td><td width=33%>150 MHz Sony GS</td><td width=33%>202.5MHz ATI Chip</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Total Memory</b></td><td width=33%>64 MB</td><td width=33%>38 MB</td><td width=33%>43 MB</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Memory Bandwidth</b></td><td width=33%>6.4 GB/sec</td><td width=33%>3.2 GB/sec</td><td width=33%>3.2 GB/sec</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Polygon Performance</b></td><td width=33%>125 M/sec</td><td width=33%>66 M/sec</td><td width=33%>??? M/sec</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Sustained Polygon Performance (full features)</b></td><td width=33%>100+ M/sec (non-gameplay)</td><td width=33%>20 M/sec (non-gameplay) </td><td width=33%>6-12 (real gameplay) M/sec</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Micropolygons/particles per second</b></td><td width=33%>125 M/sec</td><td width=33%>Not supported</td><td width=33%>???</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Particle Performance</b></td><td width=33%>125 M/sec</td><td width=33%>150 M/sec</td><td width=33%>??? M/sec</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Simultaneous Textures</b></td><td width=33%>4</td><td width=33%>1</td><td width=33%>8</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Pixel Fill Rate - No Texture</b></td><td width=33%>4.0 G/Sec (anti-aliased)</td><td width=33%>2.4 G/sec</td><td width=33%>??? G/sec</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Pixel Fill Rate - 1 Textures</b></td><td width=33%>4.0 G/Sec (anti-aliased)</td><td width=33%>1.2 G/Sec</td><td width=33%>??? G/Sec</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Compressed Textures</b></td><td width=33%>Yes (6:1)</td><td width=33%>No</td><td width=33%>Yes (6:1)</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Full Scene Anti-Alias</b></td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>No</td><td width=33%>Yes</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Storage Medium</b></td><td width=33%>2-5x DVD, 10 GB hard disk, 8 MB memory card</td><td width=33%>2x DVD, 8 MB memory card</td><td width=33%>??? Optical Disc, ½ MB memory card, soon to be 64 MB</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Audio Channels</b></td><td width=33%>256</td><td width=33%>48</td><td width=33%>64</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>3D Audio Support</b></td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>No</td><td width=33%>Yes</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>MIDI DLS2 Support</b></td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>No</td><td width=33%>No</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Broadband Enabled</b></td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>Future upgrade</td><td width=33%>Interchangeable broadband module, separate purchase</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Modem Enabled</b></td><td width=33%>No</td><td width=33%>No</td><td width=33%>Yes, 56K (separate purchase)</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b><i>DVD Movie Playback</b></i></td><td width=33%><i>Remote control package required</i></td><td width=33%>Built in</td><td width=33%><b><i>No</b></I></td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Game pad included</b></td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>Yes</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Maximum resolution</b></td><td width=33%>1920 x 1080</td><td width=33%>1280 x 1024</td><td width=33%>Unknown, but up to HDTV resolution </td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>Maximum resolution (2 x 32bpp frame buffers +Z)</b></td><td width=33%>1920 x 1080</td><td width=33%>540 x 480</td><td width=33%>Unknown, but up to HDTV resolution</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>HDTV Support</b></td><td width=33%>Yes</td><td width=33%>Limited</td><td width=33%>Yes</td></tr><tr><td width=33%><b>US Launch Date</b></td><td width=33%>Fall 2001</td><td width=33%>Fall 2000</td><td width=33%>October 2001</td></tr></table>

Mark M
06-19-2001, 10:15 AM
HC--
Thanks for the info!! I will actually probably wait until next March before making another system purchase ... give them time to come out with games and fix any bugs. Besides, I'll need to save up some $$ (I find it sad that, with two college degrees, I can't just go buy one. :( I really need to win the freaking lottery!)

Stryker--
My mod is actually an external one. It plugs into the I/O port in back. Haven't had any problems with it (sound of knocking on wood). I only have about 20 games or so, mainly because I don't play it nearly as much as I would like, and because I really only play sports games and some driving games (I love NCAA Football series for their dynasty mode, Triple Play—where the Royals are doing very well ;) and GT2). My wife likes the adventure games (Tomb Raider is her favorite, Silent Hill—which kicked a$$, and that's about it. She prefers the puzzle aspect rather than the killing. We are aslo huge fans of the Risk game ... and she's good at it.) She doesn't have the hand/eye coordination, so I "drive" while she "navigates". It's a good time. I really don't like those kind of games, but I make the sacrifice for her.

About the DC ... how can you copy the games or download them? I thought they were part DVD??

MM
~~Really needs a new job.

HC_Chief
06-19-2001, 10:20 AM
Mark - you should get <i>Soul Reaver</i> for your wife! It is much like TR, but much, <i>much</i> darker. The character you play is Azrael - a reincarnated vampire. Your quest is to topple the Kain empire and seek revenge for your execution at the hands of the vampire elite. By far, the coolest game I've played for the PSX. (can get it at Best Buy for ~$20) :)

NaptownChief
06-19-2001, 10:23 AM
One of the greatest game of all time was one of the most basic....RBI Baseball for Nintendo.

Stryker
06-19-2001, 10:29 AM
Mark:

You can't actually go out and rent the DC games and copy them. The "Pirates" use a modified serial cable that connects to a port on the DC and to the PC. They then RIP the game which takes a certain software package and other tools. They say it takes 24 hours to RIP one game.

Since so many groups out there are doing it, the games come out by the truck load. DC games are on a GD versus CD but they do it. The games are then broken down to 20 MB files (usually 6 - 35 per game) and uploaded to a Warez site or newsgroup.

When on a newsgroup you can use Newsgrapper or Xnews to download the files in RAR format. When all files are downloaded (usually 20 - 30 minutes per game) you can use WinRar to combine the files to a CDI image or BIN image. They can then be burned on an 80 min CD with CDRWin or Disk Juggler. Most of the games are self boot (put it in and turn the DC on) some use a boot CD (the old swap trick) and Voila! :D

Stryker
06-19-2001, 10:33 AM
most of the games are not 1GB but put on a GD for the purpose of copy protection (called dummy files). When the "game" is actually extracted it is more in line of 230 - 717MB. If the game is really big they will down sample the music tracks or delete some of the cut scenes (very rare though). The burned games run flawlessly and the covers and CD labels can be downloaded from www. mega-search.net (http://www.mega-search.net)

When it is all done they look like the real McCoy!:D

DaWolf
06-19-2001, 01:15 PM
RBI baseball ruled, as did Baseball Stars.

My favorite football series of all time was the Front Page Sports: Football Pro series. Incorporated career mode the way it should have been implemented before other games followed. I loved building a team and watching them play...

redhed
06-19-2001, 08:35 PM
Haven't read the thread, but I loved Karate Champ!

Full point!!

California Injun
06-19-2001, 08:45 PM
Rock-em, Sock-em Robots

"Hey! You knocked my block off!"

Of course the PC Police would catergorize this under the Violent Games category.

I've got a combo NFL Bltiz 2000/ NBA Showtime arcade game in my Game Room.

There's something about the volume levels and being able to stand upright that makes this better than the TV models in your livingroom.

Factor in the 100% cut I get ($1.00 for an entire game) from the neighborhood kids and you can see why this version rocks!!!!

:D