PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: More Liberal Teaching In Our Schools.

BIG_DADDY
06-20-2001, 01:35 PM
I have not verified it's authenticy yet, but it certainly looks real and wouldn't surprise me a bit. This one hits home with me being an avid MXer. Sorry it is sooooooooo long.

From the NEMX.org board:

Teacher Uses Students as Political Puppets!

About a week ago, a tragedy started to unfold in the Coventry Connecticut high school 9th & 10th grade
English classes that should shock anyone. Especially anyone who believes in the right to free speech and
the right for a person to have their own opinion. Constitutional issues to say the least.

"I went home and told my dad about this and he first thought I was full of crap" states Meagan, a student
in Ms.Chamber's English class.

The assignment?
A LETTER TO THE STATES ENVIROMENTAL POLICE ABOUT HOW DIRTBIKES AND ATV's ARE A MAJOR
CONTRIBUTER TO CONNECTICUTS POLLUTION PROBLEMS.

Meagan, an avid MX racer herself and author of her own Motocross web site, sat in class in disbelief.
"I asked her if I could write about something else" states Meagan, " because I did not want to write to the
state about this. Her(Ms.Chambers) answer :'NO'. So I told her I would write it, but I didn't want it sent in
to the state and that it is kind of hypocritical of me to write something bashing dirt bikes when I race
them myself… her answer 'this is the assignment, you do it the way its assigned or you fail.' "
This politically motivated, opinionated writing assignment was to be 25% of the student's final grade!

Meagan's father, hoping to resolve the situation, arranged to have a conference with Ms.Chambers.
He attempted to explain how she can not force her students to write about something to the EPA from
her opinion. Ms.Chambers told him it was not her problem and left the room. Meagan's father would have
to arrange a meeting with the school principal to address the situation any further.

Meagan's father then talked with the Board of Education where Ms.Chambers was "overruled" as they put
it. However! Ms.Chambers still forced all of the remaining kids in the class to complete the original
assignment!
"One other kid who races go-carts also felt the same way I did" says Meagan "but from what he said he
did it anyway."

Meagan's father was able to get the school to accept an article which she wrote for racing Motocross,
but so far her grade still stands at FAILING!!!

On Wednesday, Meagan and her family are heading to Virginia for a regional Motocross race this coming
weekend. Her final grade for English still listed as "failing" because she stood up for herself, her rights, and
refused to propagate a self-interested and politically manipulative writing assignment which Ms.Chambers
is currently mailing to the state offices under the misleading pretence that these are the opinions of the
students!

How can this happen?
How can the teachers whom we trust with the education of our children be allowed to force an opinion on
them. Especially when it contradicts the personal views, opinions and beliefs that parents raise their
children to have! This goes far beyond the topic of off road vehicles or any other environmental issues.
This issue is of a teacher who is forcing her students, under penalty of failing her class, to write a paper
voicing her opinion and then mailing it into the senate under the claim that these are the concerns of the
students. Even those students who try, in vein, to voice a differing opinion!

Below you will find a listing of contact information pertinent to the town of Coventry Connecticut, their
Board of Education, and CT Senate contacts. Please contact as many of these people as you can and let
them know that a terrible crime is being committed against the Constitution for which we stand. There is
no place in any American classroom for this "do what your told or fail" manipulation of our nation's children!

If you do not act on this, you have only yourself to blame for the results.
-Mark Tolokan
kloudkicker@snet.net
PS: I am merely a concerned person relaying this story to the American public who needs to be aware of
what tragedies are invading our children's classrooms. For more information and details, please direct your
attention to the Coventry Public High School and the Coventry Board of Education. That is where the
"spotlight" needs to shine.

===============================================================================
Contact Information:
Offending Teacher: Ms.Chambers
...Coventry High School
...9th & 10th grade English

Coventry High School
Pricipal: James Conro (860) 742-4515
Address: 78 Ripley Hill Road, Coventry CT 06238
Board of Education:
Kathleen Ryan, Larry Golden, Linda Sumner, Donald Scussel, Tracy Enders,
Larry Pientrantonio, Douglas Raymond (D-4, R-3)

***Meets 2'nd and 4'th Thursdays of month at the
School Administration Offices
1700 Main Street
Coventry, CT 06238-1654
Phone: (860) 742-4502 FAX: (860) 742-9056.

Education:
Superintendent of Schools: 742-4501
Superintendent of Schools: Michael Malinowski (860) 742-4500
School Business Manager: Sherry Holmes
Coventry Town officials
Town manager: John A. Elsesser, 742-6324
Town council:
Chairwoman, Joan A. Lewis
James Clark
William G. Hoffman
David A. Ruth
Linda A. Scussel
Joseph F. Malon
Shelton J. Stewart
Town clerk: Ruth Benoit,742-7966.

Town Hall:
1712 Main St, Coventry 06238
(860) 742-7966, Fax; (860) 742-8911 (Town Clerk)
(860) 742-7331, Fax; (860) 742-5770 (Police Dept)

County: Tolland
Area: 37.3 sq. miles
Population: 11,500

Clint in Wichita
06-20-2001, 01:46 PM
You've got partisan politics on the brain.

Even if it's true, and it probably isn't, the problem is caused by a stupid $20,000/year teacher.

NaptownChief
06-20-2001, 01:47 PM
I should be shocked by something like this. Sadly, I am not. :mad:

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-20-2001, 01:56 PM
If this is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it's not), then I'm flabbergasted.

This is a prime example of <B>WHAT'S WRONG WITH EDUCATION TODAY</b>.

We don't teach them how to survive in today's world. We don't bother ensuring they're able to read, write, cipher or speak in a manner that will help them get ahead in life. We don't raise up a generation of kids who are curious to know WHY things are and who know HOW to find out for themselves.

No, we're too busy teaching them that Columbus was involved in Genocide, that Washington and Jefferson should be hated because they were slave owners, that it doesn't matter what you do or say as long as you support the right cause .... :mad:

(goes and takes a stiff drink to calm down)

No, I don't think I could teach in today's society. I think I'd make it about 2 months before the school board was on to the fact that I'd really be teaching insted of promoting the latest NEA propaganda.

(is starting to think that home schooling is becoming the wave of the future out of self-defense.)

BIG_DADDY
06-20-2001, 01:58 PM
Clint,

If that is not the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is. You are about as partisan as they come.

BIG DADDY

Not giving up his guns, dogs, or motorcycles.

Clint in Wichita
06-20-2001, 02:25 PM
My point wasn't that you're partisan...we all are, although I do fall in the middle on most issues. It seems like I'm a liberal because the only waaay off-center topics on this board almost always come from the right.

My point was that it seems like you HUNT for this stuff. It's one idiotic teacher who came up with this assignment on her own.

Phobia
06-20-2001, 02:26 PM
The problem is caused by a stupid $20,000 a year, TREE HUGGING teacher trying to pawn her beliefs off on impressionable children as fact.

Some people just don't get it. Directed at nobody other than said teacher.....

Clint in Wichita
06-20-2001, 02:39 PM
If she were intelligent, she would know better than to assign such a task, even if she really believes that junk.

Mi_chief_fan
06-20-2001, 02:41 PM
No, I don't think I could teach in today's society. I think I'd make it about 2 months before the school board was on to the fact that I'd really be teaching insted of promoting the latest NEA propaganda.

(is starting to think that home schooling is becoming the wave of the future out of self-defense.) [/B]

This is one of the most misleading quotes from the extreme right that i've seen on this board. What does the school board, a collection of citizens elected by the voters in a school district, have to do with the 'liberal agenda' of the NEA? Absolutely nothing. The board members most likely sit across the table from the NEA during contract talks. Truth is, the NEA has little say in the development of a districts curriculum, they simply advise the administration & board members. Trying to link the NEA with ANY schools curriculum or common practices is done so simply out of blind hatred, whether warranted or not.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-20-2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mi_chief_fan

This is one of the most misleading quotes from the extreme right that i've seen on this board. What does the school board, a collection of citizens elected by the voters in a school district, have to do with the 'liberal agenda' of the NEA? Absolutely nothing. The board members most likely sit across the table from the NEA during contract talks. Truth is, the NEA has little say in the development of a districts curriculum, they simply advise the administration & board members. Trying to link the NEA with ANY schools curriculum or common practices is done so simply out of blind hatred, whether warranted or not.

Doesn't know whether to laugh or cry reading the above post. Will settle for laughing.

The <b>Extreme right</b>? BWA-Ha-ha-ha-ha (stops to wipe a few tears from his eyes)

I love how you can label me when you've never met me. You don't know me from Adam, but you're willing to hang a label on me because that "label" then exempts you from having to deal with <b>ME</b>. Now, I'm a little icon in your mind that you can tuck away rather than actually finding out ANYTHING about me. Pfeah. Personally, I'm an economic conservative and a social moderate, not that it's any of your business.

You have little to no experience with some of the school boards that I, personally, have dealt with. I don't expect you to unless you'd lived where I had. However, I know perfectly well that teacher in MD schools who don't toe the line somehow don't get their contracts renewed, teachers with good credentials and academic achievements.

But, if you think the Teacher's unions don't have any say in the hiring, firing, awarding tenure, choosing the curriculum, etc., then things are <b>WAY</b> different up in Michigan than they were in Tennessee, Texas, Maryland (places I've lived since I've had a child), plus in Missouri (where I did work as a substitute teacher and my mom babysit for teachers since I was 5, so I think I have an insight on how the system works). Now, if you've taught in any of those states and have some evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) to prove me wrong, by all means, let me know.

--------------------
First defense of a liberal, start calling names and hanging labels on people who disagree with your position.

Lightning Rod
06-20-2001, 03:01 PM
This could have been a valuable assignment had it been handled differently. If she were to have the class write a letter to their congressmen or EPA what ever they should have been allowed to pick the topic. In a debate class I had a teacher who intentionally assigned me a position that he knew was the opposite of my beliefs. This in retrospect was a good thing. It certainly did not change what I thought but, caused me to closely look at the other side of the issue. Had this been an assignment just to write he paper for her I would have no problem with it. To assign them a topic with a particular political slant and require them to send it to the EPA is just plain wrong.

Mi_chief_fan
06-20-2001, 03:31 PM
MCF,

OK, a couple of things:

1) I didn't mean for you to think I was labeling you. If that's what you thought, i'm sorry. Where you stand socially & economically, you're right again, is none of my business.
2) I didn't say teachers(and if you want to associate all teachers with the NEA, fine) had no say in all of the things you listed, I said they had little say. After all, the final say does fall with the administration, and eventually, the school board.

BIG_DADDY
06-20-2001, 03:34 PM
Clint,
No I don't HUNT for these topics. Just checking the motocross news. I am also fighting for the right to keep riding my 2 stroke on the weekends. There seems to be an endless stream of taxation and legislation in this country and a great majority of it seems to come from the left.
Some examples of outrageous legislation purposed out here in California:

1. A complete ban on 2 stroke engines, right down to your lawnmower. (EPA)

2. No Pitbulls within the city limits of San Francisco. (Dianne Fineswine)

3. No barbacueing (EPA)

4. Endless gun legislation. I don't even know where to begin.

Let's see that's Guns, dogs, motorcycles and eating for gods sake. Is there nothing that is sacred.:confused:

BIG DADDY

Just put me out of my misery :mad:

Mi_chief_fan
06-20-2001, 04:45 PM
The BBQ thing is rediculous, but from this article, it seems I agree about the Pit Bulls:

http://portal.compuserve.com/gatewaynet/news/editorial.asp?floc=NT-SL3-pitbull&idg=/cp/news/cntopics/slot2/slot2.asp=Pa

Don't know why it isn't working, but here's the story.

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP). 3 pit bulls savagely attacked a 10 year old boy who was riding his bicycle his parents had just given him for doing well in school.

The dogs ripped off both of Shawn Jones' ears and bite wounds all over his face, arms, and upper body Monday night, Police said. He was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday after 3 1/2 hours of surgery.

Dr. James Betts said the boy would be hospitalized at least a month. It took about 4 hours just to clean the wounds, Betts said.

Shawn was riding his bicycle he had just been given by his mother, Alisa Frost, and his stepfather when the dogs attacked him in nearby Richmond. They knocked him off the bike and bit him repeatedly.

Police Sgt. Enos Johnson said Benjamin Moore, 27, and Jacinda Lynn Knight, 33, both of Richmond,were arrested on suspicion of keeping dogs that cause injury or mayhem. The couple, which owned the dogs, was being held on $115, 000 bail.

Moore told police he abandoned 2 of the dogs in Oakland and 1 in Richmond after the attack, but authorities believe the dogs are hidden.

BIG_DADDY
06-20-2001, 05:00 PM
That is strange, no article comes up.:confused:

BIG DADDY

Bottom line is personal responsibilty for your pitbull. I have had 3 and they didn't hurt anyone.

Mi_chief_fan
06-20-2001, 05:05 PM
It's all personal responsibility until someone gets they're ears ripped off. ;)

ChiefGator
06-20-2001, 05:25 PM
Big Daddy,

Not to totally dispute all your points.. but mostly they are wrong. Lived in the "City" and even worked in the city you claim as home for AOL for a while. Still have family in the bay area. May be legislation in the house for these items now, but certainly not in place as laws.

1) Two Stroke Engines... Simply not true. Any two stroke Motorcycles are not banned. I think the new Honda VTX is 2-stroke and you can rent them in the city.

2) No BBQ.. uh.. never heard that. Totally bogus IMO.

3) No pitbulls? More like no animals of any kind that attack and kill neighbors.

Mark Sullivan
(Happy his UPS worked while he was typing this.. damn Summer storms)

BIG_DADDY
06-20-2001, 05:56 PM
Sunshine,

Come on sunshine, you have to read what posted. I said PURPOSED LEGISLATION not LAW. BTW, the pitbull thing is law and is just not stringently enforced. Fineswine implimented it after some drug dealers were putting their stash on these dogs collars and when the cops would come they would have to take down the dogs and the dealer would say it wasn't his dog.

The barbacue thing was purposed legislation that was in Chronical. I just did a search and nothing came up. I guess you would just have to believe me as I am usually able to find the documentation to back up what I have read in the past 98% of time.

The motorcycle thing and 2 stroke engines has been well documented. They have already began cracking down. If you own a 2 stroke motorcycle made after 97' you can only get a red sticker wich limits you to riding only half the year. It is the first step of multi teared legislation aimed at removing ALL 2 stroke engine use by 2010

As far as guns go, I don't think we need to get into that as we all know they expect us to protect ourselves with pillows here.

BIG DADDY

Would never lie to you.

BIG_DADDY
06-20-2001, 06:07 PM
BTW, If my memory serves me right I believe I printed that article on the planet once. (barbacues and 2 stroke engine article) Maybe some of the members remember or Austin could tell me how I could do a search of threads that I have posted. Anywho it's true.

splatbass
06-20-2001, 07:23 PM
"we're too busy teaching them that Columbus was involved in Genocide"

I'm probably crazy for posting this, but..., Columbus WAS involved in genocide, any unbiased, accurate reading of hitory proves this. It seems that if our "heroes" did something bad, conservatives want us to whitewash it and pretend it didn't happen. On Hispaniola, (now called Haiti), the indiginous Indians were EXTINCT within 50 years of his arrival. They were enslaved, and the women and YOUNG girls (as young as 9) raped. This is not made up, it is in the journal of Columbus' second in command.