PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson injures knee

POND_OF_RED
11-11-2007, 02:22 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was helped off the field Sunday at Green Bay, walking gingerly on his right leg and favoring his knee.

Peterson

Peterson made an 11-yard catch in the third quarter when he was hit low by cornerback Al Harris in the middle of the field and went tumbling head over heels. The rookie writhed in pain on the field, and players immediately called over trainers.

Peterson spent several minutes on the ground, and then left the field limping with the help of trainers, who appeared to be looking at his knee on the sideline. He also tried to put weight on the leg on the sideline, and later was wearing a sleeve on it.

He did not return in Minnesota's 34-0 loss.

Fresh off the most prolific running day in NFL history, Peterson looked like a run-of-the-mill rookie Sunday.

The Packers' defense made Peterson its emphasis after watching him run roughshod over the San Diego Chargers for an NFL-record 296 yards along with three touchdowns in the Minnesota victory.

Peterson had 45 yards rushing on 11 carries against the Vikings to give him 1,081 yards this season. He also had three receptions for 14 yards before he came out.

Minnesota came in with the best running attack in the league, averaging 183.1 yards per game. But the Packers didn't allow Peterson to break free despite touching the ball on 11 of the Vikings' 17 offensive plays in the first half.

Peterson's best effort was a 12-yard run around right tackle before being dragged down by A.J. Hawk and Charles Woodson.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3105274

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm shocked.

Demonpenz
11-11-2007, 02:24 PM
durablity issues already?

ChiefGator
11-11-2007, 02:27 PM
That sucks. He is something special. Hopefully he bounces back.

Wa-Z
11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
sorry for all the fantasy owners

Huffman83
11-11-2007, 02:31 PM
He came into the league w/ durability issues.

ZootedGranny
11-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm shocked.

Count Zarth
11-11-2007, 02:37 PM
He burned bright, but fast.

Brock
11-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Yep, he sure was a great player. :rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
11-11-2007, 02:43 PM

Hes the next Billy Sims type player...

eazyb81
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, there goes my season if he's out. He was this year's version of LT.

Fruit Ninja
11-11-2007, 02:49 PM
earlier i was talking to a friend about AP. I was like, he's an awesome talent, but you know he's going to get hurt. he always has been hurt.

Bob Dole
11-11-2007, 02:53 PM
That sucks. He is something special. Hopefully he bounces back.

He typically does. While he's always had an injury issue, none of them have been chronic. He gets dinged and he gets healthy and comes back just as good as before.

BigRock
11-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Green Bay is taking out RBs left and right. THEY MUST BE STOPPED.

TinyEvel
11-11-2007, 03:01 PM
That blows.

Skip Towne
11-11-2007, 03:06 PM
At OU he dived/rolled into the endzone and, untouched, broke his collar bone.

Smed1065
11-11-2007, 04:07 PM
The way he leaps is great in college but will not be beneficial in the NFL, to a long term career.

hawkchief
11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Amputation scheduled for tomorrow.

KcMizzou
11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
At OU he dived/rolled into the endzone and, untouched, broke his collar bone.I remember that.

:shake:

POND_OF_RED
11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will miss Sunday's game against Oakland with a torn ligament in his right knee, coach Brad Childress said Monday.

Childress said Peterson tore his lateral collateral ligament in the Vikings' 34-0 loss to Green Bay. Peterson will not require surgery, Childress said.

"The good news is that the knee is otherwise stable and the injury is isolated to that ligament," Childress said. "I'm told that's a good-healing ligament."

Childress said the injury is not a season-ending injury, but he did not talk about when Peterson might be back.

"I'm real hesitant to put a timeline on that thing," Childress said.

The coach was informed by team doctors that ligament tears are graded on a three-point scale, with three being the worst.

Childress said he was told that Peterson's tear is "two-plus," but is not as serious as if it were an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), which would have required surgery and ended Peterson's brilliant rookie season.

"This is not one of those," Childress said.

Peterson was injured in the third quarter on Sunday in a 34-0 loss at Green Bay. Packers cornerback Al Harris hit him in the knee just as Peterson was about to make a cut downfield, and the star rookie writhed in pain for several minutes in a scary scene.

Losing the only offensive star they have will be a devastating blow to a unit that has struggled in every game that Peterson has not topped 200 yards rushing this season. It's been a one-man show in Minnesota, with Peterson accounting for 1,081 of the team's 1,551 yards rushing and eight of the team's 10 rushing touchdowns.

The No. 7 overall pick out of Oklahoma broke the single-game rushing record two weeks ago against San Diego, racking up 296 yards to put him on pace to smash Eric Dickerson's record for yards rushing by a rookie in a single season.

Now the Vikings will turn to veteran Chester Taylor, who topped 1,200 yards rushing last season and has been solid in spot duty behind Peterson this year. Taylor is averaging 5 yards per carry in a backup role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3106749

Valiant
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
That sucks I wanted him to annihilate the rushing records.. But this does open the door for a certain WR to take the lead for the rookie of the year award if he keeps pace..

FAX
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Damn. That's tough.

The good go down young.

FAX

Third Eye
11-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Weird, I have never heard of the LCL. I tore my ACL, and have heard of the MCL and PCL, but never the LCL.

Skip Towne
11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I'll bet it's swole.

EyePod
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I hate the fact that they say that 45 yards on 11 carries is normal for rookies. These people are freaking idiots for thinking that an average of 4 ypc is normal. If that was normal, then over half the league would be worse than rookies... the only argument I could see is that this "pedestrian" 4.1 ypc is less than their season overall 5.8.... UGH

FAX
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Weird, I have never heard of the LCL. I tore my ACL, and have heard of the MCL and PCL, but never the LCL.

For a second there, I thought AP might be some kind of medical freak, Mr. Third Eye. You know, where extra ligaments are the reason why he's so dad gummed fast and all. However, my crack team of spider monkeys have discovered that there is, after all, an LCL.

From the MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: "The lateral collateral ligament connects the end of the femur to the top of the fibula"

Sounds important.

FAX