PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network local channels

svuba
06-26-2001, 05:16 PM
I heard that if you use Dish network you can subscribe to KC local Channels even if you do not live in the KC area.

If this is true it is extremely important as it would save all of us out-of-towners $150 per year

Please Somebody help.

Can I get KC channels Out-of Town using a satellite system?
Which system & how do I do it?

:confused:

NaptownChief
06-26-2001, 05:35 PM
Not sure about Dish Network but if you have DirecTV you can get them if you use a KC area address...You can have your bill paid by autopay using a credit card...

I would imagine that Dish Network would be similar cause the distribution of the local networks has a lot of legal red tape envolved...This whole issue ended up in court and took about 3 years to finally get resolved...

svuba
06-26-2001, 05:40 PM
jl80

Sounds good, but Direct-TV uses a phone line to verify certain information about your subscription. My understanding is their computer dials your phone number to see where your card is, if the # is not a KC area number I don't think they will sell you the KC channels.

chief52
06-26-2001, 06:33 PM
I doubt very seriously whether DirecTV would allow this, unfortunately. They were sued by "local" affiliates to prevent network feeds being brought into their area. The local affiliates own the rights to the network feed in their respective markets. Before this suit, I was getting an east and west coast feed for all 4 major networks. It was sweet. Unfortunately I think we are out of luck in trying to get the KC feed in other areas like myself in Northern California.

Would love to have someone show me I am wrong, however :)

NaptownChief
06-26-2001, 08:04 PM
They tell you to hook a phone line into your reciever...But you don't have to. If you don't hook up a phone line then they won't let you order any sports tickets like NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA Pass etc.etc...But they will continue your regular service. I assummed based on his original post that he doesn't want to pay for the season ticket so this program would work for him.

chief52
06-26-2001, 08:13 PM
jl80;

I think you are correct. They will shut your sports off if you do not have a phone line connected...I tripped over my phone chord and eventually they cut off my MLB. I called and they reconnected as soon as I hooked it back up. Hardly seems worth giving up NFL package in order to get just the Chief games. I mean, that is on the entire time here...but there is the morning or afternoon games as well. Would love to be able to watch local KC news...pre and post game stuff, etc. etc.....

NaptownChief
06-26-2001, 08:19 PM
Yep, I couldn't part with the Season Ticket for anything...That is the greatest thing since the invention of the air conditioner.:D

Chiefs Pantalones
06-26-2001, 08:53 PM
This is great, Jl80!

I don't live in the KC area but I can get them if I don't hook up my phone line to it and if I give them a KC area code and credit card, etc.? Tell me more about it, please?

CG

thinks this is whoa!

Skip Towne
06-26-2001, 09:17 PM
I am a satellite tecnician for both Dish network & Directv. I am not as knowledgeable as a CSR (Customer Service Representative) but will help where I can. You do have to keep a phone line hooked up to receive ANY sports package. NFLSunday Ticket included.This thwarts any effort to use a KC address to get the local network feeds.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-26-2001, 09:27 PM
Thanks Skip,

So all I have to do is keep the phoneline, and change the area code, etc.? And if this works out, I probably won't get NFLST this year.

morphius
06-26-2001, 10:08 PM
Skip Towne - Does that include local network feeds, as they are not a sports package like NFL Sunday ticket and the such, but are instead just a set of channels like Disney channels?

Just want to verify.

Skip Towne
06-26-2001, 10:18 PM
Hey Cody, glad to help when I can. I don't entirely understand what you want to do. I will throw out a couple of deals & you can come back with specifics. If you have an "Aunt Nellie" in KC,take your receiver to her house & hook it up to her dish.If she has 2 receivers, unhook the secondary (usually the bedroom) & hook up your receiver. Call directv, 800 730 4742 & tell them you are installing a third receiver. After they "hit it" verify you have programming (check channel 245), then thank them & hang up. Re-connect her receiver and go home. Hook up to your own dish & you are in business. You now owe your aunt $5 per month. You will get everything she gets except pay per view movies. ( They are specific to the receiver they are ordered from) If she doesn't subscribe to something you want, have her order it & you pay for it. You will both get it. NFL Sunday Ticket requires a phone line to each receiver so you won't get it. You can't use a phone line to your receiver or they will catch you & turn you off. The slippery devils!!

Rausch
06-27-2001, 07:24 AM
I managed to get east and west coast channels, but I got the big diss when trying to get Local KC channels....

TO my dismay, no preseason games are available in my area. I should kill all the technicians at the local cable company, since they are responsible, but instead I'm forced to simply turn on the radio and listen to average coverage on my local station.....

UGH.......Someone cracks this code, tell me....The only way I know of are the illegal as can be "cracked cards" or "descrambler" method, which are basically more expensive than just BUYING all the darn channels!

:mad:

svuba
06-27-2001, 09:29 AM
Skip:

I live in California..
I want to get the Chiefs coverage provided by the local KC stations, but do not want to spend the $150 for Sunday Ticket.
I am in the process of moving, and have put my Direct-TV account on hold.

Here is the only way that I think it could work.

1 I send my reciever to someone in KC, they plug in the power & the phone line, and subscribe to my package + the local KC channels. (Hoping I couild do this without my friend setting up the dish)

2 My Reiciever is shipped back to me in CA where I plug into the dish, but do NOT hook up a phone line.

This would allow me to recieve the local channels for the KC area including Chiefs Games & Chiefs news YEEEE-HAAAAW.

Would this work? Is there an easier way?

BIG_DADDY
06-27-2001, 09:31 AM
Just get yourself an "H" card and call it a day. :cool:

LD for KC
06-27-2001, 09:47 AM
svuba: I tired to do the same thing from Flagstaff Arizona. "No legal way" will Dish Net allow it. I even wrote the CEO a complaint letter, which their legal department responded to by phone. I spent 6 weeks getting the waivers myself, and it all came to nothing.

I just had Direct TV install a system, and they say "NO WAY" also. My family, and my wifes family both live back there. I wanted to get the news, and of course the preseason games, but, "no F--king way".

I just bought the NFL Ticket from Direct TV, from Direct TV for $129.00

LD for KC

Skip Towne
06-27-2001, 09:53 AM
svuba - your plan will work. Your Kansas City connection willneed to rig up a temporary dish if he does not have one.A chain link fence post works great. Bury the post about 21" in dirt,plumb it, put dish on it and find the sat with the on screen signal meter. Directv will send a "hit" thru the dish. Before you hang up, check to see that ch.202 is present as well as the locals. Pay yearly or by credit card to avoid messy mailing addresses. Pull up fence post, send receiver anywhere.

KCinGA
06-27-2001, 10:02 AM
Damn! I have DISH network and was hoping to subscribe to KC area channels this year for the coming football season. DirecTV was just too high. I admit, NFL Sunday Ticket is pretty damn awesome... but it just costs too much to get it right now. I really can't justify paying that much.

Last I heard, though, DirecTV is waiving the installation charges and proposing a $19.95/mo charge for the 1st 3 months. My guess is that for the remaining 9 months will be charged a premium package price of $80/mo. That's just a guess. It was what they wanted to charge me last year, when I decided to choose DISH network instead.

Guess I'll have to go to the local watering hole and check out some Chiefs' games there. <sigh>

KCTitus
06-27-2001, 10:07 AM
A couple of things, while it's cheaper and you would get local news on the team, you'd miss a lot of games in the process. The beauty of Sunday Ticket is not only do you get KC, but you also get to see games that have an impact on us as well.

One of the things that was really aggravating about living in KC, was the inability to see the Denver or Oakland games when KC was shown while at home because of NFL Broadcast restrictions.

Why would you sacrifice 8-10 games a week to get 2 or 3?

svuba
06-27-2001, 10:11 AM
Skip One more question for you:

Do the LNB units become damaged easily?

Because I moved recently and I put my LNB in a nice craftsman toolbox. To my dismay when I unpacked my stuff from the moving truck the front of my toolbox had a large Burn spot on it where somthing had rubbed off the paint. This leads me to believe that the toolbox, and everything inside it bounced around a lot.

Now I have spent countless hours on the roof trying to get a F***ing signal, and my wife has not heard any change in the beeps. I hooked this system up in LA in about an hour, this time I have been up there five times for about 45 minutes each f***ing time.

Either the LNB is F***ed up, I'm too damn stupid to set up a sattelite system, or my my wife is inside with her middle finger extended towards the roof laughing her A** off.
which do you think it is?

svuba
06-27-2001, 10:13 AM
KCtitus:

Im on a budget man!

KCTitus
06-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Touche`...Completely understandable.

Skip Towne
06-27-2001, 12:57 PM
Svuba - I do not suspect stupidity here. Especially since you have found the signal before. The LNB's are very hardy & will stand much abuse. I have dropped them from the roof numerous times. If your LNB is a dual, try using the other "F" connector jack. Also, the elevation setting for California is different from KC. It should be set around 46or 47 degreesfor this area.(You can go into "installation" in your diagnostics to check what is rightfor your zip code). Also, make sure your pole is plumb, and there are no obstructions (Trees,etc.) between the dish and the satellite. With these things done, start to the east side of due south (Use a compass) & move the dish very slowly to the west. You should hit the sat just west of due south. If all this fails, it is probably your LNB. One more thing, if you have a voltmeter, put meter on "volts-DC". Put the black lead on the fitting & the red one on the copper "stinger". You should see between 13 & 18 volts. If you don't, your wiring has an "open" & the receiver can't get power to the LNB.

Gaz
06-27-2001, 04:18 PM
Skip came to DooDah Lite and hooked me up with DirecTV. We talked some Chiefs and I watched while he did all the work.

From each according to his ability…

The picture is awesome!

Thanks, Skip.

xoxo~
Gaz
Digitally enhanced.

BIG_DADDY
06-27-2001, 04:38 PM
Svuba,

Did you get the response I sent you?

Bob Dole
06-27-2001, 05:09 PM
So if Bob Dole bought someone's used DishTV receiver and dish, took the receiver to MO and hooked it up to the folk's system, called the number and asked to add a receiver, waited for the "hit" than drug the thing back to Texas and installed it, Bob Dole would have everything the folks have as long as they keep the service? (Assuming Bob Dole never plugged in the telephone line connection in Texas...)

Then Bob Dole could keep the regular cable TV service and switch to the DishTV feed to pick up the KC game on Sundays.

Sounds too good to be true.

Skip Towne
06-27-2001, 07:06 PM
Bob Dole would never do such a thing! But yes, it would work. My question is why would yo want the dish only on Sunday. Are you a masochist or something? Do you enjoy the grainy picture & poor service the cable company provides? Just kidding, sort of. Your ersatz dish system will only add $5.00 to your folks bill per mo. You may want to keep the cheapest package cable offers to get local channels. Both Dish network & Directv require phone lines to all multiple receivers toprevent shenanigans such as this. Since yours won't be plugged into your folks phone, there is the possibility they will shut it off. But what have you lost? I have never heard of them actually shutting off a receiver for not being on the phone line. But it is possible.

NaptownChief
06-27-2001, 07:50 PM
Good suggestion Bob Dole. I was getting ready to make the same. You don't even need to go through all those steps...If you have a buddy in the KC area already on DirecTV he can add a second receiver for a couple bones a month. He just has to call in and give them the ID# of your receiver. No phone line needed. If he has sports packages, his primary receiver will need the phone line but they won't discontinue service if the second receiver is not hooked up to a phone line. I have a couple of buddies who did this for the last couple years..

Skip Towne
06-27-2001, 08:22 PM
jl80- Hey, I don't want to start an argument here but I install these for a living. When I do a dual install, the CSR makes me do a systems test to prove both receivers are hooked to the same phone line. With a single receiver, the phone line is not necessary. I don't know how your buddies ever got away with just calling in the serial number. (Directv also wants the access card number). Why don't you call Directv @ 800 730 4742 and ask them if you can just add a second receiver by calling in the serial number. The answer will be NO. Please let me know if this is wrong. It would save me a lotof work to do it your way!!!

Skip Towne
06-27-2001, 10:09 PM
Hey - svuba - didja get your dish workin'? If not, let me know. If you did, let me know what was wrong in the first place. I gots to know!!!

NaptownChief
06-28-2001, 09:03 AM
Skip,

Things might very well have changed since they did that about 2 or 3 years ago...But he just said he bought a new receiver and installed it in a bedroom without a phone jack...They probably wised up to that by now...

svuba
06-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Skip;

I will let you know for sure when I get back up there it will probably happen this weekend.

Big Dady:

My Smoke signal reciever must be broken cause I did not get a message from you.

BIG_DADDY
06-28-2001, 12:51 PM
Svuba,
I sent it again, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

WackyRuss
06-28-2001, 03:25 PM
Skip,

Can I plug my HU card into my ant receiver instead?

2ndly, where can I get an H card (Big_Daddy said it can be done with an H card)

Thanks

Skip Towne
06-28-2001, 04:09 PM
wacky Russ - I don't know what you mean by "ant receiver". HU cards can be hacked but is not a very wise investment. They are wide open to ECM's(Electronic Counter measures) like Black Sunday. Also, HU cards can not be used in an emulator set up. H cards are hard to come by.I pick up one now & then,usually from someone who didn't pay their bill and were shut off. H cards, even Black Sunday types may be used in an emulator set up. - jl80 - I'll bet you are correct in saying your buddies didn't need a phone line for 2nd receivers several years ago. For the last couple of years, they have become mandatory. No phone line (to both receivers) no programming.

BIG_DADDY
06-28-2001, 04:23 PM
I know several people who got their H cards on E-bay. There are some people who just buy and sell these cards and have a long history of selling good cards. I would pick one of those guys. A great sight for picking up additional information is www.hackhu.com This is complicated enough to find someone in your area who has done it right before unless you are very computer literate. It will probably run you around $600.

BIG DADDY

Or at least that is what I have heard.

WackyRuss
06-28-2001, 10:01 PM
Big_Daddy must own one of the cool H card

Skip

How man H card do you have? Do you have any for sale?

Skip Towne
06-29-2001, 08:01 AM
Sorry, Wacky Russ, I don't have any H cards at present. I just kinda stumble on to them while working. I haven't gotten one in quite a while. Directv is having them "expire" so that you have to send them in for a "new" card. Pretty convenient, huh?

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2001, 08:17 AM
Yea, that cracks me up. Like they are EVER going to be able to stop those who are still going at this point. Everyone they were ever going to knock out they did with Black Sunday. When they retire the cards the people they take out will just go get HU cards. They should develope an emulation unit for those before too long. How long did it take them to work around Black Sunday. 30 day? wooooooooooooooooooo. Direct TV is just wasting their money at this point fighting any further. They are also putting alot of $$$$$$ in the pockets of the hackers who are supposed to be the enemy every time they do this.

BIG DADDY

Never underestimate the ability of the modern day hackers. Especially when they can make a ton of money by developing the product first.

Skip Towne
06-29-2001, 07:38 PM
Big Daddy - I don't think you get the entire picture here. Directv is not about to quit going after hackers. Your comment that Black Sunday getting them all they would ever get ignores the fact that this is an ongoing battle. Directv is owned by Hughes Network Systems. Hughes Network systems is owned by General Motors. Hughes builds & launches satellite systems. GeneralMotors builds cars. Both companies can & have kicked Bill Gates' a$$. They are not easy to whip!! There is presently a hack for HU cards. It entails putting the card directly into the receiver a la the old H card. It is extremely vulnerable to a powerful ECM such as Black Sunday but also to small fry "hashes" such as disruption of the audio & or video. Emulation is proving very successful but, as you pointed out, will cost around $600. This cuts down the market considerably. This round to Hughes. Subject to change. Stay tuned!!

WackyRuss
06-29-2001, 10:20 PM
Skip, Big_Daddy,

Since the H card is so good, can Hackers duplicate it (faked card)?

Rausch
06-30-2001, 12:05 AM
Big Daddy,

and these hackers, the one's with the superhuman abilities to unlock scrambled channels with a single bound, hang out where? :D

I have this monthly bill problem, and......

BIG_DADDY
06-30-2001, 01:42 AM
Brad,

http://www.hackhu.com is a good place to start. The information after ECMs will usually appear there. For now, BIG DADDY hears the best way to do this is with an "H" card. You will need an emulator and a programmer. Vector makes some real great products that I have been told work. You will also need a full time computer to do it right. The rest of the information you shouls be able to get off of the sight.

Wacky,

No, and I don't know why.

Skip,

And I hope they don't stop. The very few that are left in the bad boys club would have it no other way. Thank god for the the hackers that constantly blow through all of the ECMs. BIG DADDY has no doubt that they will eventually kill the "H" cards for good. BIG DADDY also feels that it will take no more than 40 days for the GOOD GUYS to break code and supply emulation for the "HU" cards. I am really not impressed with what Hughs, GM and the rest of the boys have done. After all, it was the hackers that showed them how to do Black Sunday after they were busted. If the engineers are so freakin smart, why did they need the hackers to pull it off?

BIG_DADDY
06-30-2001, 01:44 AM
BTW, BIG DADDY also hears that once you have your tv hooked up like that there is really nothing like it.

BIG DADDY

Or at least that is what I have heard.

Skip Towne
06-30-2001, 06:28 AM
Big Daddy - I don't think the Directv engineers need the hackers. I think they ARE the hackers. Who else would be in such a postion to possess the knowledge to do this. And so quickly. Even though these people make 6 figure salaries, they don't see the harm in picking up a quick mil by passing along a few tips to their buds.

WackyRuss
06-30-2001, 09:46 AM
Skip,

How much it would cost us to have all the movie (excluding the ppv), and those basic channels?

Big_Daddy,

I went to the HackHU link this morning and they were mentioned bootloader, what is it? is it a tool that you can use for the HU and H card? They were also mentioned something about harshing the HU card (for the last few days), question is, can you fix it once it goes down?

Thanks

Skip Towne
06-30-2001, 12:03 PM
Big Daddy - I don't want to represent myself as an expert on these "alternative" methods of receiving signal.I'm not. I have been around those that participate & some of it has rubbed off on me. What is true today might not be tomorrow.Today, as I understand it, the HU card that has been "hashed" is no longer good. Using an HU card in this manner is too risky for the cost. Plus, it ruins a card. A bootloader is an attachment to the computer that actually makes changes to the micro chip on the card. You don't need this unless you are wanting to get "in the busines" (Not advisable). What you do need is 1. An old computer that has two comm ports. 2. An emulator board 3. An unlooper 4.Knowledge of how to do it. I don't even have a computer. I am on this board via Webtv.

Rausch
06-30-2001, 12:44 PM
BIG DADDY,

I own a Mac, know nothing of programming languages, can't even figure out how to put up a web page or pics, and have limited financial muscle....Or, I'm broke.....

Basically, there is no easy fix as in buying a descrambler similar to cable users is there?

BIG_DADDY
06-30-2001, 01:14 PM
Brad,

That is correct, there is no easy way. I would highly suggest NOT doing this unless your very knowlegeable in this area or have someone that is. Even then, at times it can be very trying and time consuming. It IS great though, no doubt. Season tickets to every baseball, basketball, hockey and football game. 6 channels of streaming porn running 24 hours a day, :eek: and an unbelievable selection of movies starting up about every thirty minutes. You also get all the BIG PPV events. I like the Ultimate fighting championships myself. You also have all of the main networks running in all 3 time zones as well.

BIG DADDY

Or at least that is what I have heard anyway.

Rausch
06-30-2001, 01:27 PM
Wow........

Now, hypothetically, if someone(say Joe) were to contact someone(say Bill) could Bill send Joe the necessary requirements to indulge in sinful film and sport ecstacy?

Say, after establishing trust and a friendly relationship "aquire" the necessary hardware POST construction or programming?

Like Bill building the model car FOR Joe and then sending it to him per whatever agreement? :cool:

BIG_DADDY
06-30-2001, 01:35 PM
Skip,

I am no expert either, believe me. I do happen to be around several people who are knowlegeable in this area though and am just passing on info. I am sure that you are right about some of the engineers as well. Black Sunday was set up however, by some hackers that had been busted and were being forced to help out Direct TV OR ELSE sort of thing. There continues to be alot of guys working this from the other side. I am sure it will keep changing and evolving too. The only constants are going to be DTV spending a boat load to stop this from happening and the hackers raking it in every time the game changes. 90% of the people that I know, that used to do this, don't anymore. It became too complicated at some point and they stopped. That is what I meant when I said that they stopped all of those that they are going to. The very few left will never stop no matter what they do, they will always find a way around.

Russ,

These are the packages that direct tv offers http://www.directv.com/programming/programmingpages/0,1093,135,00.html You still do not get local channels. Season tickets are about $169 each I think.

Skip Towne
06-30-2001, 01:55 PM
Russ - I think we are in similar situations. Not players, but fans. I don't see where ECM's & such cost Directv much money. It appears to be done in-house with the regular staff that would be needed without ECM's. Directv seems to be winning right now. Emulation will work but is expensive & could be defeated at any time. It is an evolving process that is likely to continue for a long time.

BIG_DADDY
06-30-2001, 02:05 PM
I could see Bill pointing Joe in all the right directions and helping him decipher his way around things when they go bad. I am out of here till probably Monday for now. Gotta go watch the MX Nationals.

Skip Towne
07-01-2001, 04:40 PM
No, Brad, there is no "easy fix" that I know of. The cable companies aren't very smart and their product is relatively easy to steal. Also, their product isn't very good & therefore isn't worth spending much money to protect. Not so with satellite. I am seeing "H" cards for sale on e-bay. Usually packaged with a receiver, remote and dish. One deal even offers to send you "only the parts you need". To "save freight". The price is still the same.

svuba
07-02-2001, 08:06 AM
Skip,

Thanks for your help. As it turns out there was an open in the cable between the reciever & the Dish. There was a 3-way splitter in the basement that the previous tennant had installed. I removed it and replaced it with a single adapter.

I would never have figured this one out without your help. I actually thought that I had proofed the line before, because I took my reciever onto the roof with an extension cord just to verify that the blue screen was showing up downstairs, wich it was. What I did not realize was that the LNB is powered by the reciever through the coax. Anyway thanks alot it is working now!

Skip Towne
07-02-2001, 06:35 PM
svuba - so glad to help. My last service call was the same thing. I tried to talk te guy through it & he assured me he had voltage @ the LNB. He didn't. I am always glad to help a BB buddie. Allyou have to do is ask!!!