PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Dump this team and plan for next year

Coach
11-11-2007, 10:57 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/357011-p2.html

Dump this team and plan for next year

By the end of the third quarter, Larry Johnson had seen enough.

With the Chiefs down two scores, Damon Huard woozily sitting on the bench, coming to grips with the end of his starting career, and Priest Holmes impressively shaking off two years of rust, Kansas Cityís highest-paid player limped out the front door of Arrowhead Stadium to his $450,000 Maybach 62 and chauffer.

By the end of the third, you knew all you needed to know about these Chiefs. Theyíre going nowhere, and itís time to make some very difficult decisions.

The AFC West standings might define the Chiefs as a first-place team, but Kansas Cityís 4-5 record, stuck-in-neutral offense and impossible-to-watch-and-stomach, 27-11 loss to the injury-riddled-and-mediocre Broncos told an uncomfortable truth.

The Chiefs are rancid, and the only way to clean the stench is to make all decisions with next year in mind.

We know what happens when you back into the playoffs with a shoddy offensive line, washed-up quarterback and unimaginative, in-over-his-head offensive coordinator. You get eviscerated by a legitimate playoff squad. You fail to pick up a first down until late in the third quarter. You play offense so bad that Chris Berman canít help but crack jokes when he shows the highlights on ESPN.

No one wants to see a KC-Indy sequel.

So itís time to move on. Time to play the young guys, not just at quarterback.

Huard is done. I like him. Heís taken a beating playing behind a line that is just as ineffective blocking the run as it is in pass protection. Huard hasnít complained. Heís absorbed the licks and tried to be more than what he is ó a backup quarterback.

Itís now time to see whether Brodie Croyle is more than a backup. Now is the proper time. The pressure is off. Johnson is down for the season. Everyone, especially the veteran players, can accept that the Chiefs are not a real playoff team.

For the record, I donít like Croyleís footwork. He doesnít step into his throws, and the ball sails on him. He threw an interception on Sunday for this exact reason. Itís an error thatís fixable, but itís also an error that can cost you games and ruin a career.

Itís also clear that offensive coordinator Mike Solari is an outstanding offensive-line coach. Heís not a play-caller. Heís been elevated to his point of incompetence. Next year Solari should be reinstated as line coach and work on re-establishing that unit as a force. The center, right guard and right tackle all must be replaced.

On Sunday, Solari blew the game. The Broncos own the leagueís worst run defense. Priest Holmes, to my surprise and probably the surprise of the coaching staff, looked damn good. He looked fresh. He looked shifty. He looked ready to carry the load and help the Chiefs win an ugly game.

Solari failed to take advantage. He chose odd times to throw the ball, especially opening the second half of a tight game with four straight passing plays, which resulted in a Huard interception and fumble.

When the game was over, I wanted to blame Holmes. I erroneously thought the Chiefs built a more aggressive game plan because Solari and Herm Edwards were unsure what Holmes could do in live action over an extended period. Itís hard for a coach to build a game plan around a guy who joined the team in late July, skipped the preseason and talks in circles.

I was wrong. After talking with several offensive players, I was assured the Chiefs built a Holmes-heavy game plan, and Solari failed to execute it. Holmes bounced outside for 11 yards in the first quarter, and Solari seemed to run Holmes inside too often the rest of the game.

I donít remember any screen plays for Holmes. Solari didnít make a concerted effort to get Holmes in space, let him use his vision and quicker-than-expected feet. Holmesí numbers werenít overwhelming (65 yards in 20 carries), but had Solari called the right plays at the right time, Holmes shouldíve had about 24 carries for 85 yards and three or four receptions for an additional 40 yards.

There were moments in Sundayís game when I had to remind myself to temper my outlook on Holmesí play because Denverís front seven is atrocious. But I am positive about one thing: even at age 34, Holmes is 10 times the back Johnson is in the passing game.

Holmes had little trouble and enthusiastically picked up Denverís blitzes.

ďI talked with Priest for about an hour this week, just about what the offensive line was seeing and trying to do,Ē guard Brian Waters told me. ďHeís done a really good job of trying to understand what weíre doing.Ē

Ah, Iím off on a tangent talking about an old running back when the Chiefsí entire focus needs to be on getting younger.

To reach Jason Whitlock, call 816-234-4869 or send e-mail to jwhitlock@kcstar.com. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Does Whitlock have someone stalking LJ?

jjjayb
11-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh come on Whitlock. You know Priest isn't really going to play this year. He's only here to be on hard knocks right? Oh wait....

How about you apologize to the man you fat retard.

L.A. Chieffan
11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Solari is Whitlocks new scapegoat. Who will it be next week, FDE?

Coach
11-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm surprised Whitless isn't scapegoating on Herm's piss-poor management on when to put Croyle in.

That, my friends, was a no brainer. Herm's patience on this team is killing us as bad ad Vermeil's loyality.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Does Whitlock have someone stalking LJ?

Yea, i thought the same thing. Its obvious JW has a personal beef with LJ.

ChiefsCountry
11-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised Whitless isn't scapegoating on Herm's piss-poor management on when to put Croyle in.

That, my friends, was a no brainer. Herm's patience on this team is killing us as bad ad Vermeil's loyality.

Joe did that.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Solari can't win quite honestly. He runs the ball, he gets criticised. The throws it, he gets criticised.

Find a ****ing OL.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2007, 11:25 PM
For the record, I donít like Croyleís footwork. He doesnít step into his throws, and the ball sails on him. He threw an interception on Sunday for this exact reason. Itís an error thatís fixable, but itís also an error that can cost you games and ruin a career.

This scares me. Hopefully, he corrects this.

Coach
11-11-2007, 11:26 PM
This scares me. Hopefully, he corrects this.

Let's compare Croyle's 2nd year, with his footwork problems, to Damon Huards 11 year, with that as well.

Really, no difference. Only difference is Croyle has ample time to correct it. Huard does not.

kcpasco
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
How in the hell do you replace 3 members of your O-Line in 1 year. I have a bad feeling next year isn't gonna be much better.

:banghead:

unothadeal
11-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Solari can't win quite honestly. He runs the ball, he gets criticised. The throws it, he gets criticised.

Find a ****ing OL.
I agree. It's obvious that it's not Solari.

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
The Chiefs will never do this.....they'll play to get in to be competitive.

I expect Huard to be starting again next week and the rest of the year, that's just the Chiefs.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I expect Huard to be starting again next week and the rest of the year, that's just the Chiefs.

Huard doesn't start next week. I guarantee it.

Coach
11-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Ah, Iím off on a tangent talking about an old running back when the Chiefsí entire focus needs to be on getting younger.

Translation: Since I cannot come up with anything decent I will leave and try to save some face by saying anyone that responds to this is stupid... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Smilies/special.gif

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Huard doesn't start next week. I guarantee it.

We'll see it is everything that Peterson isn't about...

I expect Chad Pennington in here when the year is over.

kcpasco
11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Man I miss Roaf and Shields
Please come back
please please please please
:deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

Coach
11-11-2007, 11:39 PM
We'll see it is everything that Peterson isn't about...

I expect Chad Pennington in here when the year is over.

Wouldn't surprise me. In order for him to realize that, I think he would have to be at least 2% smarter than a tube of vagisil.

At this point I am thinking you would be better off asking him if he has change for a seven dollar bill. :shrug:

Tribal Warfare
11-11-2007, 11:42 PM

his footwork is fine, it's the lack of experience in NFL games is his downfall.

MadMax
11-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Find a ****ing OL.

Sosorry sucks as an OC if you can't see that then well, I guess its the same as you thinking Huard was good???

the Talking Can
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
I'd like to get paid for stating the obvious 8 weeks after it was obvious.

Sweet gig.

CoMoChief
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
It's a 4 way shit fest IMO, which all leads to why we are terrible offensively.

First I think the Oline is awful. A blind man could see that.

Secondly, Mike Solari is in way over his head as a playcaller. This is something we can all agree on as well.

Third, and which I don't think gets talked about a lot, Dick Curl in no way should be the Qb coach of this team.

Not to mention we have one of the most offensive dumbasses in football in Herm Edwards.

Add all of these factors up and you get a shitty KC offense.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Sosorry sucks as an OC if you can't see that then well, I guess its the same as you thinking Huard was good???

Does Saunders suck? He's fielded nothing but average offenses in Washington the last two years.

MadMax
11-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I agree. It's obvious that it's not Solari.

Derrr! It's not about the pass or run, it's the kind of pass and run plays this mastermind calls....He absolutely sux as OC.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2007, 11:48 PM
It's a 4 way shit fest IMO, which all leads to why we are terrible offensively.

First I think the Oline is awful. A blind man could see that.

Secondly, Mike Solari is in way over his head as a playcaller. This is something we can all agree on as well.

Third, and which I don't think gets talked about a lot, Dick Curl in no way should be the Qb coach of this team.

Not to mention we have one of the most offensive dumbasses in football in Herm Edwards.

I wrote about this a month ago...there absolutely NO ONE on this offensive staff with experience at planning or implementing a successful NFL offense.

NO ONE.

Solari's a n00b, Curl's claim to fame is NFL Europe, and it's not Herm's department.

The closest thing we have on this staff to a "guru" is Charlie ****ing Joiner.

MadMax
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Does Saunders suck? He's fielded nothing but average offenses in Washington the last two years.

I dunno I don't follow Washington. I am of the philosophy that NO coach in the NFL is a Genious or mastermind. Some are better than others.Also comes down to personell and how to utilize it.

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:52 PM
And that's how Herm likes it, he can tell them all exactly what to do. He wants to play that way....he still thinks scoring a bunch of points isn't the right way to play.

Nzoner
11-11-2007, 11:52 PM

I was thinking about that as I was watching the G-men-Cowboy game,6 seconds left in the first half and Eli is passing to Shockey trying to get into Fg range,KC on the other hand....

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I dunno I don't follow Washington. I am of the philosophy that NO coach in the NFL is a Genious or mastermind. Some are better than others.Also comes down to personell and how to utilize it.

You have to know how to use what you have though, you can't ask players to do what they aren't capable of doing.

MadMax
11-11-2007, 11:55 PM
You have to know how to use what you have though, you can't ask players to do what they aren't capable of doing.

I kinda think I said that in a round-about way lol

Count Alex's Losses
I was thinking about that as I was watching the G-men-Cowboy game,6 seconds left in the first half and Eli is passing to Shockey trying to get into Fg range,KC on the other hand....

Well, we were backed way the **** up. And do you really trust our OTs?

PastorMikH
8-8 could win the AFCW. (Shoot, 7-9 might for that matter). With this D, if Croyle can get some time with the starters in game situations to get on the same page they could do some damage in the playoffs

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I kinda think I said that in a round-about way lol

Yea pretty much LOL, thing is, the Chiefs are highly untalented all over the place.

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:56 PM
8-8 could win the AFCW. (Shoot, 7-9 might for that matter). With this D, if Croyle can get some time with the starters in game situations to get on the same page they could do some damage in the playoffs

Whatever you've been smokin, I want some.

This team isn't good enough to beat anyone who makes the playoffs.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Whatever you've been smokin, I want some.

This team isn't good enough to beat anyone who makes the playoffs.

HTF did we beat the Chargers then? Or compete with the Packers?

This team just confuses me. The effort and execution level we saw last Sunday against the Packers was good enough to beat Denver.

WHERE DID THAT TEAM GO?

Nzoner
11-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, we were backed way the **** up. And do you really trust our OTs?

Dude I'm at the point where i don't trust ANYTHING about this team and that starts at the very top.

MadMax
11-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Yea pretty much LOL, thing is, the Chiefs are highly untalented all over the place.

sad but true. Damn sad thing is the man at the top is still in absolute control. :( Playing song by Metallica Sad but True

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2007, 12:02 AM

This team just confuses me. The effort and execution level we saw last Sunday against the Packers was good enough to beat Denver.

WHERE DID THAT TEAM GO?

That's the modern NFL. There isn't enough talent to go around, and as a result the rosters are very, very inconsistent.

Look at what the Chargers did against the Colts vs. the Vikings and the Vikings against the Packers vs. their effort against SD.

Mecca
11-12-2007, 12:03 AM

WHERE DID THAT TEAM GO?

Honestly I think the Chiefs have kept games closer than they should have been at points. Like the Green Bay game, they had a halftime lead and frankly were lucky it wasn't 17-0.

In several games they've had breaks go their way so the scores were close and down to the wire, they don't those and we see what happens.

Cochise
11-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Well, Solari can't build a doghouse without any nails.

SPchief
11-12-2007, 12:07 AM
That's the modern NFL. There isn't enough talent to go around, and as a result the rosters are very, very inconsistent.

Look at what the Chargers did against the Colts vs. the Vikings and the Vikings against the Packers vs. their effort against SD.

The Chargers did everything in their power to lose that game tonight.

boogblaster
11-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Play the youth.. open up the playbook.. get a return-man.. kick the Oline in the nuts everytime they come off the field.. send Sapp and Wesley to Dungver ........

MadMax
11-12-2007, 12:12 AM

WHERE DID THAT TEAM GO?

It's called luck...

Phobia
11-12-2007, 12:12 AM
How can he not remember any screens? I remember 2 very specifically - maybe a third.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2007, 12:14 AM
The Chargers did everything in their power to lose that game tonight.

Yeah, and they also went from giving up 300 yards rushing to picking off Manning 6 times.

FAX
11-12-2007, 12:17 AM
How can he not remember any screens? I remember 2 very specifically - maybe a third.

That is kind of silly on Whitlock's part, Mr. Phobia. I remember one and I didn't even watch the game.

FAX

Dylan
11-12-2007, 01:09 AM
"Kansas Cityís highest-paid player limped out the front door of Arrowhead Stadium to his $450,000 Maybach 62 and chauffer."

Does Jason Whitlock mean a "chauffeur" one who drives an automobile? I'm never sure what's going on in his head. The next thing that comes to mind is maybe he is talking about a furnace.

Someone please tell me if it's published in tomorrow's newspaper as "chauffer." Every writer needs a copy editor. lol

nitey nite! stayed up too late.

blueballs
11-12-2007, 01:10 AM
yak yak yak LJ is a cancer
yak yak yak I'm so controversal
yak yak yak BBQ

Dylan
11-12-2007, 01:13 AM
That is kind of silly on Whitlock's part, Mr. Phobia. I remember one and I didn't even watch the game.

FAX
ROFL

I wonder why McClatchy is losing money.

Sometimes Whitlock's articles leave you with a sense of walking in on the middle of a movie.

I don't mean to be critical -- but I just couldn't go on reading after I read about the small furnace in LJ's car.

Too funny.

Micjones
11-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Let's compare Croyle's 2nd year, with his footwork problems, to Damon Huards 11 year, with that as well.

Really, no difference. Only difference is Croyle has ample time to correct it. Huard does not.

Ample time? Well that depends.
He is only a Third Round pick.
We don't owe him a three year commitment.

7-game trial.
If he plays well... He buys himself a full-season in 2008.
If not... We move on.

I thought he played well today for the most part so...
I'm anxious to see more.

(D-Bowe dropped a PERFECTLY THROWN TD PASS today)

Croyle deserves some credit.
The interception was bad, but I think there was miscommunication between he and Gonzalez.

I'd like to see how he responds to being named the starter uneqivocally by the HC. Next week poses a great challenge.

Depending on what happens with Freeney...
The Colts present some interesting challenges for the young gun.

Pushead2
11-12-2007, 02:04 AM

you mean Huard? we all know we're going to see him named as the starter.

Micjones
11-12-2007, 02:07 AM
I think the coaching staff has every reason to make the switch at this point.

Count Alex's Losses
11-12-2007, 02:09 AM
I think I changed my mind. Maybe Solari IS a problem. The Chiefs ran three straight times inside the 10-yard line today. To not even try a play-action pass in that situation is inexcusable.

Bob Dole
11-12-2007, 07:05 AM

Find a ****ing OL.

Bob Dole is pretty sure that if he can sit on his couch in Texas and successfully call out the next play Solari is going to call at about an 80% success rate, the opposing defenses (who, incidentally, get paid to study tendencies all week) are doing even better. Did anyone happen to notice how frequently Denver seemed to have the perfect defense for the play called before our guys even broke the huddle?

Sure, the O-line is a weakness. But they are what they are at this point in the season. Playcalling should be fluid and agile and adjustable--and doing it well is an art.

Solari is a 4 year-old with a burnt ochre crayon.

Easy 6
11-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Whatever next years plan may be, it MUST include bringing in a Bonafide & Papered QB Coach.

There clearly isnt anyone on the staff capable of helping Brodie raise his game.

Left to their own devices, Solari & Curl will DESTROY him.

the Talking Can
11-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Whatever next years plan may be, it MUST include bringing in a Bonafide & Papered QB Coach.

There clearly isnt anyone on the staff capable of helping Brodie raise his game.

Left to their own devices, Solari & Curl will DESTROY him.

wisdom

Reerun_KC
11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Ample time? Well that depends.
He is only a Third Round pick.
We don't owe him a three year commitment.

7-game trial.
If he plays well... He buys himself a full-season in 2008.
If not... We move on.

I thought he played well today for the most part so...
I'm anxious to see more.

(D-Bowe dropped a PERFECTLY THROWN TD PASS today)

Croyle deserves some credit.
The interception was bad, but I think there was miscommunication between he and Gonzalez.

I'd like to see how he responds to being named the starter uneqivocally by the HC. Next week poses a great challenge.

Horrid wasted our season, plain and simple. He is an 11 year backup and we don't owe him a three year commitment yet we started that shit bag and thought he was going to lead us tot he super bowl....

We owe Croyle a deep apology if anything...

Calcountry
11-12-2007, 08:41 AM
8-8 could win the AFCW. (Shoot, 7-9 might for that matter). With this D, if Croyle can get some time with the starters in game situations to get on the same page they could do some damage in the playoffsI'm afraid that Croyle getting time with these starters is going to get him killed.

Calcountry
11-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Seriously. Do you think Croyle is looking forward to our tackles dealing with Dwight Freeney?

Mecca
11-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Seriously. Do you think Croyle is looking forward to our tackles dealing with Dwight Freeney?

Freeney got hurt last night....

Either way it's a solid point, Croyle has a not so nice injury history to go with it.

Calcountry
11-12-2007, 08:44 AM

WHERE DID THAT TEAM GO?I'ts very simple to gameplan the Chiefs, that's how. All you have to do, is NOT turn the ball over on us.

Heck, you can even get a bunch of penalties and it won't matter, just don't turn the ball over.

The only way we have been winning is by getting turnovers.

Herm's game plan: run run pass punt, pray for turnovers.

Chiefnj2
11-12-2007, 08:46 AM
The Chiefs competed with the Packers because the Packers had a bad game in the first half.

Rausch
11-12-2007, 08:46 AM

If he can get rid of the ball quick enough behind this O line to avoid getting sacked he can do it behind any O line.

I don't understand why people want us to miss the playoffs and tank the season. If we start Croyle and somehow blunder in it's only a positive. It means that not only did Croyle help turn the season around but he also gained playoff experience. This team doesn't have a ton of post-season experience...

donkhater
11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Bob Dole is pretty sure that if he can sit on his couch in Texas and successfully call out the next play Solari is going to call at about an 80% success rate, the opposing defenses (who, incidentally, get paid to study tendencies all week) are doing even better. Did anyone happen to notice how frequently Denver seemed to have the perfect defense for the play called before our guys even broke the huddle?

:) :)

Funny you should say this. Yesterday I called about 5 plays in a row and my wife (who watches NO football) just sat there in awe. She said, "You watch too much football". I just shook my head. It's pretty sad how obvious it's become.

I basically did the same thing last week. The only time I was wrong was the screen to LJ for a touchdown.

Let me repeat that: The only time a schmuck on his couch in Indiana incorrectly called a play, it resulted in a TD.

suds79
11-12-2007, 09:27 AM
For as much as I am a believer that players make coaches look good or bad, I saw something in Solari I didn't like yesterday.... Perhaps I should of caught this before...

Every time the Chiefs line up, go through an elaborate shift, it was a run to Priest. If you Tivoed the game just watch the 1st drive. I promise you that they run Priest on the same play 3 times... Just to different sides. Just watch it.

If I can pick that up, how could DCs not?

O-line needs replaced & Solari needs to demoted.

Furthermore, McIntosh needs to be moved to RT. He's not good enough to be the LT of a quality team. That should be your best O-linemen.

Baby Lee
11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
go through an elaborate shit
ROFL ROFL - just trying to visualize the logistics, TP prefolded, a crisp new copy of the New Yorker, maybe a cup of cocoa on the ledge of the bathtub, candles naturally.

Lancetastic
11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't know that Solari was ever the best OL coach either. Roaf was already established when he came to KC. We just got lucky that his knee was not as bad as the Saints thought. Shields was already in his prime and Waters was just entering his. We definitely did not develop any offensive linemen during his tenure or we would not be in the shape we are today. Even Roaf was quoted (though admittedly I cannot find it) as saying Solari was not great at developing new talent.

suds79
11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
ROFL ROFL - just trying to visualize the logistics, TP prefolded, a crisp new copy of the New Yorker, maybe a cup of cocoa on the ledge of the bathtub, candles naturally.

:LOL: Didn't see that. thx

xbarretx
11-12-2007, 10:06 AM
as much as it pains me to agree with Whitlock.......i agree with 97% of what he said.

FAX
11-12-2007, 10:18 AM
If he can get rid of the ball quick enough behind this O line to avoid getting sacked he can do it behind any O line.

I don't understand why people want us to miss the playoffs and tank the season. If we start Croyle and somehow blunder in it's only a positive. It means that not only did Croyle help turn the season around but he also gained playoff experience. This team doesn't have a ton of post-season experience...

Having watched Croyle in college (somewhat more than I'd like, by the way), I know this about him. He's not a china doll. Much has been made about his injuries, but he's been sacked more that Mr. Redrum_69's mother and lived to tell the tale.

And, not only is he a tough little bastard, he is a competitor - a fighter, a scrapper, a battler - whatever you wish to call it. If people remember Saleaumua, they will recall that, off the field, he was a genial guy - always smiling and laughing. But, on the field, he was a friggin' monster who brought death and destruction. Croyle seems to be like that. During the day, he is a slow talkin' good ol' boy. But, between the chalk, he likes the taste of fresh blood.

If Hermoine hasn't lost the team yet (I count this as a real possibility), I think that Brodie can generate some enthusiasm and some energy with his on-the-field approach and attitude. And, if the three stooges don't ruin him by forcing him to checkdown in every situation, I think he can and will win games for us.

FAX

DaKCMan AP
11-12-2007, 10:28 AM
We definitely did not develop any offensive linemen during his tenure

Brian Waters

xbarretx
11-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Having watched Croyle in college (somewhat more than I'd like, by the way), I know this about him. He's not a china doll. Much has been made about his injuries, but he's been sacked more that Mr. Redrum_69's mother and lived to tell the tale.

FAX

ROFL :doh!:

StcChief
11-12-2007, 11:57 AM
KC Star - Dump Fatlock and build for the future.

the Talking Can
11-12-2007, 11:59 AM

And, not only is he a tough little bastard, he is a competitor - a fighter, a scrapper, a battler - whatever you wish to call it. If people remember Saleaumua, they will recall that, off the field, he was a genial guy - always smiling and laughing. But, on the field, he was a friggin' monster who brought death and destruction. Croyle seems to be like that. During the day, he is a slow talkin' good ol' boy. But, between the chalk, he likes the taste of fresh blood.

If Hermoine hasn't lost the team yet (I count this as a real possibility), I think that Brodie can generate some enthusiasm and some energy with his on-the-field approach and attitude. And, if the three stooges don't ruin him by forcing him to checkdown in every situation, I think he can and will win games for us.

FAX

THIS IS SPARTA

Phobia
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know that Solari was ever the best OL coach either. Roaf was already established when he came to KC. We just got lucky that his knee was not as bad as the Saints thought. Shields was already in his prime and Waters was just entering his. We definitely did not develop any offensive linemen during his tenure or we would not be in the shape we are today. Even Roaf was quoted (though admittedly I cannot find it) as saying Solari was not great at developing new talent.

I disagree with this thought. A line coach's job is to develop players, yes but there's so much more than that. For many years during Solari's tenure the Chiefs were thought to have one of the best if not THE best line in the NFL. Solari deserves credit for that. He's clearly a great line coach. I don't think we can take that away from him no matter how poorly we think he does as a coordinator.

Count Alex's Losses
11-12-2007, 12:11 PM
How could such a great line coach think scabs like Terry and Welbourn were suitable starters? Unless you think they were forced on Solari...which is another problem altogether.

Dylan
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
After talking with several offensive players, I was assured the Chiefs built a Holmes-heavy game plan, and Solari failed to execute it. Holmes bounced outside for 11 yards in the first quarter, and Solari seemed to run Holmes inside too often the rest of the game.

I donít remember any screen plays for Holmes. Solari didnít make a concerted effort to get Holmes in space, let him use his vision and quicker-than-expected feet. Holmesí numbers werenít overwhelming (65 yards in 20 carries), but had Solari called the right plays at the right time, Holmes shouldíve had about 24 carries for 85 yards and three or four receptions for an additional 40 yards.

It sounds more like the typical Herm Edwards game plan to me. ...

DaKCMan AP
11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
How could such a great line coach think scabs like Terry and Welbourn were suitable starters? Unless you think they were forced on Solari...which is another problem altogether.

Yeah, if Solari was competent we would have signed Orlando Pace and Steve Hutchinson this past offseason.

Count Alex's Losses
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah, if Solari was competent we would have signed Orlando Pace and Steve Hutchinson this past offseason.

I dunno man, there were serviceable guards out there. Buffalo got Derrick Dockery. Solari needed to put his foot down and say "NO! I cannot work with this POS Welbourn."

Zouk
11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I dunno man, there were serviceable guards out there. Buffalo got Derrick Dockery. Solari needed to put his foot down and say "NO! I cannot work with this POS Welbourn."

7-years $49 million with an $18 million signing bonus for a mediocre guard. That's not exactly how the Pats and Colts were built. This team needs to be built the right way this time, no panic quick fix moves.

Chiefnj2
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
This team needs to be built the right way this time, no panic quick fix moves.

This team needs a nice 5 year game plan.

chiefsfan1963
11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Our 2007 season was over after last year's playoff performance!

During the offseason they did nothing different to improve the OL. Solari was not demoted. THe pre-season was an embarrassment.

We should have played our young players from the beginning.

Looking forward to CP, his staff, Herm, and his staff to be let go!

If The Lamar Family don't want to compete any more please do us a favor and sell this franchise to owners that give a damn!

J Diddy
11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
THIS IS SPARTA

for the rest of the season we dine in hell

picasso
11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Find a ****ing OL.

Solari is a huge problem with this team!
Yes our oline sucks but Solari's play calling is not to the strengths of this team and he lacks any sense of what needs to happen to insure that the team is successful.
Yesterday on the one series that lost the game IMO Croyle threw on a first incomplete, threw for a second BOMB incomplete, threw on a third and 10 incomplete. Ended up taking a 52 yard field goal and we miss giving Denver excellent field position. STUPID!!! The bomb lost momentum after a good drive and we give it back at midfield. Stupid playcalling!!!

Should have punted and given them a long field if we didn't gain any yardage on four attempts. Where in the frick was Priest during that fiasco? If we gained at least 8 yards and we had to kick and made it we would have been less than a touchdown out of the lead and kicking to Denver after the score.

Solari needs to go!!

Count Alex's Losses
11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
The bomb lost momentum after a good drive and we give it back at midfield. Stupid playcalling!!!

People have been bitching about not throwing deep all year. Now we do it and you're pissed

I thought it was a great call. Bowe barely missed scoring a touchdown. The players didn't execute.

FAX
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
for the rest of the season we dine in hell

ROFL

FAX

Rausch
11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Our 2007 season was over after last year's playoff performance!

http://www.bureau-13.com/icon/moron.gif

Baby Lee
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.bureau-13.com/icon/moron.gif
You gotta remember, when 1963 and Logical spoon, they form Taijitu.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Find a ****ing OL.

You can say that until you're blue in the face, it won't change perception.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
By the end of the third quarter, Larry Johnson had seen enough.

With the Chiefs down two scores, Damon Huard woozily sitting on the bench, coming to grips with the end of his starting career, and Priest Holmes impressively shaking off two years of rust, Kansas Cityís highest-paid player limped out the front door of Arrowhead Stadium to his $450,000 Maybach 62 and chauffer.

Wow. That speaks volumes.

tooge
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
This team needs a nice 5 year game plan.
Man, I know this was said in jest, but it is sooo true. Whether carl peterson is at the helm or not (I hope not), we need about 2 more years and the chiefs should be able to field a very good team. Look at the teams that have been great over the years. 1990's cowboys and 49ers, 1980's 49ers, patriots of the last 6 years, colts of the last five years. Steelers over the last 10 years. What have they all had? It is real easy. Offensive lines (great D lines too). Norve Turners cowboys, Al Saunders chiefs, Bill Walsh's 49ers, Dick Vermiels Rams, Tony Dungy's colts. They had great QB's too, but theyalso had great running games, all of em. They all had multiple probowlers on those O lines. We have one very good player in Waters now, and the rest are backups. Give the chiefs two more drafts, a few key FA's, and they will return to at least good offensive form.

Dave Lane
11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Solari is Whitlocks new scapegoat. Who will it be next week, FDE?

How about the man in charge of the team? Herm

Dave

picasso
11-12-2007, 05:39 PM
People have been bitching about not throwing deep all year. Now we do it and you're pissed

I thought it was a great call. Bowe barely missed scoring a touchdown. The players didn't execute.

Yeah I am pissed because of that pass it was a bad decision. It's a great call if your within field goal range, 10 yards closer or you have a lead or you're running the ball efficiently. It's not a great call if you fail to convert and you give away field position trying to kick a 52 yarder and miss. In that area of the field they should have been more dink and dunk to put themselves into a position to score either way. They had just got their ass handed to them in 9 seconds, they needed to be more diligent with their decision making. They didn't execute on any down in that series let alone the bomb.

Count Alex's Losses
11-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah I am pissed because of that pass it was a bad decision.

:spock:

Always a bad decision to throw to your receiver who is open for a touchdown.