PDA

View Full Version : Poison Oak: Best Cures

KC Kings
11-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I do a pretty good job staying out of poison oak/ivy in the summer, but seem to get it in the winter when the leaves have died back but the oil is still there. After 3 days of dragging deer through the brush and clearing out fence lines, I have poison oak covering most of my upper body and spotted areas on my legs. What are the best remedies you have used for it? I was exposed probably on Saturday because the rash is leathery and covered in blisters.

I tried Zanfil, a $30 1oz tube of product that worked in the past, but I didn't use it until last night so I think it was too late by that point. I made an appointment for the doctor for tomorrow, and haven't been to a doctor in years for this problem so I don't know if they have shots/pills that can knock it out quickly. We are going to Toledo this weekend for Thanksgiving, and can't stand the thought of a 12 hour drive tormented by poison oak, or I would tough it out. Benadryl seems to work pretty good but it puts me to sleep.

What are your proven remidies?

Pushead2
11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Jizzum

StcChief
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I got pregdazone from the Dr. for Poison Ivy,Sumac,Oak
works great it's a steroid.

KC Kings
11-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Jizzum
Not only no, but hell no. That is one of the few places left that doesn't have the rash.

tooge
11-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I got pregdazone from the Dr. for Poison Ivy,Sumac,Oak
works great it's a steroid.
That is about all that works. As far as paliative treatment, benedryl is probably the best over the counter.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Step 1 - Scratch an infected area
Step 2 - Apply hand to balls
Step 3 - Wait for itching sensation
Step 4 - Give a random girl the tea bag

DMAC
11-13-2007, 09:49 AM
ANTIFREEZE LMAO

Come on people!!??

kepp
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Alcohol or gasoline. It just needs to be dried out. I usually scratch until it bleeds and then apply rubbing alcohol. Of course, probably not when its covering 75% of my body.

Stryker
11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
What are your proven remidies?

Avoid both.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Without a Dr.'s visit you're pretty much SOL

RockChalk
11-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Alcohol or gasoline. It just needs to be dried out. I usually scratch until it bleeds and then apply rubbing alcohol. Of course, probably not when its covering 75% of my body.

this is a proven remedy for me as well. i'd much rather have a scratch/scab and have it hurt like hell temporarily than have the non-stop itching for 3 or 4 days.

but then again, i wouldn't go to that much trouble or pain if i had it covering most of my body. i typically only do that when it's on my legs or arms.

damaticous
11-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I used to get it so bad that I couldn't walk. I was literally bed ridden for 2 weeks once in Jr. High.

The only things that work for me are the dr. Shot and prednazone pills, Benadryl, and DOMBORO. It's a powder that can be bought over the counter. I put it in a cup of water and soak a wash cloth in it. Then I scratch and dab the ivy areas. It helps for about 1/2 hour to an hour with the itching.

LabRat38
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey man,

Do get to the doctor ASAP. The sooner the better, if your doctor doesn't have some kind of walk-in service, I would go to another clinic for this. If your body is covered that bad they will probably give you an oral steroid pack to take (prednisolone/prednisone I believe). Make sure to take all of it, otherwise the itching you feel now will come back worse. The steroid will suppress your bodies immune response to the poison ivy, which is what is causing the itching. They also may give you a prescription strength topical anti-pruitic cream to help as well. With a case that is really bad you could be itching for over a week. Trust me, I've been there.

MIAdragon
11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
spray starch

Pushead2
11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Iodine.

Hog Farmer
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Find a mud puddle and flop in it.

MIAdragon
11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Just pee on it

chasedude
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I've had some serious cases in the past, I'm very allergic. I've always gone to the Dr. because nothing over the counter has ever worked for me. The Dr. has given me 2 different things in the past, Prednisone and some other shot. The first time I had a serious case I couldn't get rid of was Prednisone. I didn't like the side effects. It made me feel jittery like I was on a Coke or Meth run. One good thing came out of the side effect though, I did clean my house from top to bottom. The second was a steroid shot and it was much better.

Edit: BTW, I believe there is now a tincture you can now take in the spring make your body "immune" from it.

penguinz
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
The first time I had a serious case I couldn't get rid of was Prednisone. I didn't like the side effects. It made me feel jittery like I was on a Coke or Meth run. not a normal side effect of prednisone.

MIAdragon
11-13-2007, 11:47 AM
not a normal side effect of prednisone.

sure it is, Iíve been on it for migraines and felt the same.

Gonzo
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Just pee on it

The R. Kelly remedy?

chasedude
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM

I'm not normal :p

StcChief
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey man,

Do get to the doctor ASAP. The sooner the better, if your doctor doesn't have some kind of walk-in service, I would go to another clinic for this. If your body is covered that bad they will probably give you an oral steroid pack to take (prednisolone/prednisone I believe). Make sure to take all of it, otherwise the itching you feel now will come back worse. The steroid will suppress your bodies immune response to the poison ivy, which is what is causing the itching. They also may give you a prescription strength topical anti-pruitic cream to help as well. With a case that is really bad you could be itching for over a week. Trust me, I've been there.
yeah. I forgot about the heavy duty cream to apply. ......

I tried it with 1% OTC cream first. no real luck. had it around my eyes and they were closing up.

Groves
11-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Anytime you take a steroid, there's potential for a lot of weird side effects that some people just don't experience. The endocrine system is one complex dude.

Fish
11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
This stuff works very very well..... there's an "ultra" version of this that is the best stuff I've ever found....

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5416/963bc3.jpg

Edit: http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/150_0000078969_0000128793.jpg

jagerdrinker
11-13-2007, 01:22 PM
The dry solvent that is utilized to clean weapons works very well on drying it out. I'm horribly allergic to poison ivy, and when I was in the Marines, one trip to the armory would heal everything. I don't know what there is to buy commercially, though.