PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo NFL Experts Frown on Switch to Croyle

KCJohnny
11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
The Chiefs are contemplating a switch to second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7834/;_ylt=AoDkwIJu9VQbt9CPxHeBOyur0op4), who replaced the banged-up Damon Huard (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4180/;_ylt=Ag9nkQxvhZIKD7amjMVu8KWr0op4) in the third quarter of Sunday's 27-11 defeat to the Broncos, and I don't think I like it. Croyle was basically handed the starting job in camp but couldn't perform well enough to win it, and now Kansas City, with Larry Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6363/;_ylt=AuCaIczNt9VuaHfkoHbpsqKr0op4) (foot) potentially out for an extended period, will have to put even more on its quarterback. And though it's easy to say Croyle, as the potential QB of the future, needs to play for the franchise to evaluate him, this is a 4-5 team that has a legitimate shot to win the AFC West.

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avvh04n2eG4ctk9HwH0TMehDubYF?slug=ms-morningrush111207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

RustShack
11-13-2007, 10:08 PM
When they predict me to win in FF I lose, and when they predict me to lose I win. They don't know shit.

Mr. Kotter
11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
When they predict me to win in FF I lose, and when they predict me to lose I win. They don't know shit.

Ditto.

Count Zarth
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Even I, the most ardent of Huard supporters, can see that this is dumb. Huard hurt the team last Sunday, big time, and was clearly getting worse as the season wore on. The injuries just piled up.

Brodie looked pretty good Sunday. He might not totally suck as I had previously thought. He definitely made throws Huard couldn't.

KCJohnny
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Even I, the most ardent of Huard supporters, can see that this is dumb. Huard hurt the team last Sunday, big time, and was clearly getting worse as the season wore on. The injuries just piled up.

Brodie looked pretty good Sunday. He might not totally suck as I had previously thought. He definitely made throws Huard couldn't.

Correct. Injuries diminished Huard's performance, not his ability.

God help Brodie to stay healthy, because if he gets pounded the way Huard was, we don't win another game this year.

FAX
11-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow. You're amazing, Mr. GoChiefs. Keep some ibuprofen handy. You may be the first person in history to suffer from intellectual whiplash.

FAX

Mosbonian
11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow. You're amazing, Mr. GoChiefs. Keep some ibuprofen handy. You may be the first person in history to suffer from intellectual whiplash.

FAX

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

mmaddog

SNR
11-13-2007, 10:30 PM

God help Brodie to stay healthy, because if he gets pounded the way Huard was, we don't win another game this year.Thigpen FTW

crazycoffey
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Yahoo Sports? Yahoo sports? Are we talking about Yahoo, sports?

http://sp1.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/2775033453 (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Djim%2Bmora%2Bplayoffs%26rs%3D 0%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26vf%3D&w=160&h=121&imgurl=www.cnnsi.com%2Fvideo%2Fsports%2F2001%2F11%2F25%2Fmora_7116.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.desipio.com%2Farchives%2F00000732.htm&size=19kB&name=mora_7116.jpg&p=jim+mora+playoffs&type=jpeg&no=1&tt=30&oid=5dc18951727897ca&ei=UTF-8)

MadMax
11-13-2007, 10:39 PM
The Chiefs are contemplating a switch to second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7834/;_ylt=AoDkwIJu9VQbt9CPxHeBOyur0op4), who replaced the banged-up Damon Huard (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4180/;_ylt=Ag9nkQxvhZIKD7amjMVu8KWr0op4) in the third quarter of Sunday's 27-11 defeat to the Broncos, and I don't think I like it. Croyle was basically handed the starting job in camp but couldn't perform well enough to win it, and now Kansas City, with Larry Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6363/;_ylt=AuCaIczNt9VuaHfkoHbpsqKr0op4) (foot) potentially out for an extended period, will have to put even more on its quarterback. And though it's easy to say Croyle, as the potential QB of the future, needs to play for the franchise to evaluate him, this is a 4-5 team that has a legitimate shot to win the AFC West.

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avvh04n2eG4ctk9HwH0TMehDubYF?slug=ms-morningrush111207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

You said Yahoo and NFL experts in the same sentence.. :p

Cochise
11-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Croyle might not fare as badly as we expect. I think Huard's problems were that he was only average at making throws, and only average at reading the field. He didn't missread the defense all that often, but he didn't process information fast enough to use the whole field on every play.

We know Croyle can make the throws, he's more than adequate there. We could see that when he was throwing outs and putting the ball right up where the receiver could reach it. Huard wasn't that accurate and didn't have the zip that Croyle has to make some of them.

He needs to learn how to read the game, and I don't know how you can do that besides playing the game and game speed. He might go out there Sunday and look awful, but we need to see if he gets better at reading the field as the season goes on.

An arm doesn't make you a good quarterback, it is just a base qualification that allows you to grow into one.

We aren't going to see a good QB step onto the field Sunday. We just hope to see a better one step off of it.

smittysbar
11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
They don't follow enough to know shit. I am so sick of people saying he was handed the job and lost it. Yes he had a bad game. But he clearly was better in River Falls, what I don't get is so was Printers (better than Huard).

crazycoffey
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
We aren't going to see a good QB step onto the field Sunday. We just hope to see a better one step off of it.

I agree with everything you're saying, to extend on it I want to add only that we have a better QB stepping ON the field this sunday too.

KCwolf
11-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Not according to ESPN...... :shake:

BWillie
11-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Last week I picked up Brodie through waivers. I could smell something was going to go down and Damon would suck balls as usual in the upcoming game.

ESPN doesn't know anything anyways. But honestly, how much worse can our offense get?? Does switching the QB really make that big of a difference? HONESTLY

Count Zarth
11-14-2007, 01:03 AM
ESPN doesn't know nothing. Honestly, how much worse can our offense get?? Dpes switching the QB really make that big of a difference? HONESTLY

Well, we could go from an average passing offense to a horrible one.

J Diddy
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Well, we could go from an average passing offense to a horrible one.

or vice versa

Count Zarth
11-14-2007, 01:43 AM
or vice versa

Average to top 10? Unlikely.

BigMeatballDave
11-14-2007, 01:46 AM
LMAO What abilities?

Nelson Muntz
11-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Average to top 10? Unlikely.

Since when is average top 10? He said vice-versa, which means horrible to average based on the statement he was quoting.

Count Zarth
11-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Since when is average top 10? He said vice-versa, which means horrible to average based on the statement he was quoting.

He had to have meant average to top 10. Our passing offense is far from horrible at the moment.

Nelson Muntz
11-14-2007, 02:38 AM
He had to have meant average to top 10. Our passing offense is far from horrible at the moment.

He didnt have to mean that. All it said was average to horrible offense, which he replied "or vice-versa". No where did it state top 10 offense. Try reading whats actually typed, instead of adding your own opinions.

Count Zarth
11-14-2007, 02:54 AM
PASSING offense. Read it again.

HypnotizedMonkey
11-14-2007, 03:44 AM
Croyle mentions that he has to make some big plays to give the offense a spark.. if he doesn't pick his spots well he's gonna get burned. He can fire the ball in there, though. I think the only way we make the playoffs is if we win in Indy... which will take GREAT play from the QB, GREAT play from the Defense, and an Offensive coaching strategy that baffles even the Colts. I question if this team has all of that in them.

I had half a mind to run onto the field in that Denver game to let the security beat the sh!t out of me to put me out of my misery.

And *F* Adam Vinatieri.

CrazyHorse
11-14-2007, 03:59 AM

So you admit that you're an idiot. We finally agree on something.

CrazyHorse
11-14-2007, 04:10 AM

You're not going to shit your pants like you did over lettin Gunther go as head caoch are ya? Oh boy.

a1na2
11-14-2007, 04:20 AM

FAX

Now that is priceless!!!!!!!!!

intellectual whiplash

FAX
11-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Croyle might not fare as badly as we expect. I think Huard's problems were that he was only average at making throws, and only average at reading the field. He didn't missread the defense all that often, but he didn't process information fast enough to use the whole field on every play.

We know Croyle can make the throws, he's more than adequate there. We could see that when he was throwing outs and putting the ball right up where the receiver could reach it. Huard wasn't that accurate and didn't have the zip that Croyle has to make some of them.

He needs to learn how to read the game, and I don't know how you can do that besides playing the game and game speed. He might go out there Sunday and look awful, but we need to see if he gets better at reading the field as the season goes on.

An arm doesn't make you a good quarterback, it is just a base qualification that allows you to grow into one.

Great post, Mr. Cochise. I'll be very disappointed if Chiefs fans come down on Croyle too early. Every good to great QB in the history of the world took time to develop, learn to read defenses, adapt to NFL speed, relax into his game, and gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches. Every single one.

The Chiefs have a real opportunity now. If they chicken out, this episode will turn out to be just another failure, but it doesn't have to be. All Brodie really needs to accomplish is to improve his game with every passing week - which he has the ability to do. If, in the meantime, we win some games, that's a bonus.

FAX

Lonewolf Ed
11-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Yes, he did! Throws such as the "spiral." :)

Cochise
11-14-2007, 09:06 AM

Who gives a rip what your passing offense is when your total offense is #30 or whatever we are now after that abominable performance Sunday against one of the worst defenses in the league?

Cochise
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Great post, Mr. Cochise. I'll be very disappointed if Chiefs fans come down on Croyle too early. Every good to great QB in the history of the world took time to develop, learn to read defenses, adapt to NFL speed, relax into his game, and gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches. Every single one.

I'm behind him, definitely through the end of this year. I think we probably need to let him go through the offseason cycle as the #1 and training camp too, let him start the season next year as the starter. If by this time next year we haven't seen any improvement, then we can move in another direction.

But I agree, there will be plenty of people who bail the first time he has a bad game. Probably the Huard fluffers first. But this season is over... as if it were worth trying to salvage before anyway.

AZORChiefFan
11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Personally I want an Offense that can run up the score to 6 pts by halftime. I want an offense that leads or is near the top of the NFL in 3 n outs.

patteeu
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Last week I picked up Brodie through waivers. I could smell something was going to go down and Damon would suck balls as usual in the upcoming game.

ESPN doesn't know anything anyways. But honestly, how much worse can our offense get?? Does switching the QB really make that big of a difference? HONESTLY

Wow, no offense, but you must have a pretty rotten QB on your fantasy team to be interested in Croyle with this Chiefs' offense.

RustShack
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
I have Croyle on my team, behind Brees and Warner.

morphius
11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I like how people keep bringing up the fact that Croyle was handed the job in camp and couldn't take it, but keep forgetting that Huard only won the job because he was injured and had "experience". Huard did absolutely nothing to win the job.

FAX
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm behind him, definitely through the end of this year. I think we probably need to let him go through the offseason cycle as the #1 and training camp too, let him start the season next year as the starter. If by this time next year we haven't seen any improvement, then we can move in another direction. ...

I totally agree with this statement, Mr. Cochise. As I look around the league through my new time-shifting binoculars, it's clear that (although outliers do exist) it takes at least a year for a young quarterback to get comfortable and additional years to become competitive. I tell you, I genuinely envy those teams that have had the patience and vision to develop their own quarterbacks and can basically relax about that position and focus on building talent elsewhere for the next 5 to 10 years. Consistency and confidence at the QB position is critical to success.

FAX

FAX
11-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I like how people keep bringing up the fact that Croyle was handed the job in camp and couldn't take it, but keep forgetting that Huard only won the job because he was injured and had "experience". Huard did absolutely nothing to win the job.

Not only that, Mr. morphius, but I honestly don't believe that Croyle was all that "horrible" in pre-season. The quick hook mentality at this point will kill us deader than we already are. I was heartened, however, by Hermoine's statement (was it yesterday?) when he said all he wants to see from Croyle is game-to-game improvement in his play.

FAX

Delano
11-14-2007, 09:54 AM
And *F* Adam Vinatieri.

Huh? Jealous much?

Frosty
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
The Chiefs need to take a page out of the Browns' plan and concentrate on rebuilding the line. Part of why DA is having such success there is that he frequently has all day to stand back there and wait for Edwards and "The Solja" to open up.

Cochise
11-14-2007, 09:58 AM
The Chiefs need to take a page out of the Browns' plan and concentrate on rebuilding the line. Part of why DA is having such success there is that he frequently has all day to stand back there and wait for Edwards and "The Solja" to open up.

Yeah, if I were rebuilding a team, it would start with the offensive and defensive lines. The only exception might be to have QB precede those, since they take longer to develop.

Frosty
11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah, if I were rebuilding a team, it would start with the offensive and defensive lines. The only exception might be to have QB precede those, since they take longer to develop.

A good O-line goes a long way to helping with that QB development. It's amazing the jump Derek Anderson made from the last games of last season to this year, despite not being the starter through training camp. Joe Thomas was a gigantic part of that. I think Croyle could make a similar jump.

FAX
11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
A good O-line goes a long way to helping with that QB development. ...

Key, Mr. arc. Absolutely key.

I harbor a vague but growing fear that the fans will come down hard on Croyle in situations where the o-line is the actual culprit. Like blaming a bug for an invasion of mucilaginous, blue globs of malice.

FAX

Molitoth
11-14-2007, 10:36 AM

I agree. Huard won the job based on his performance last year. Basically he had the team in a spark, and benching him for TrINT was stupid. I think Carl and Herm wanted to make up for that.

It wasn't that Croyle looked horrible in preseason, the Entire offense sucked balls. Half the starters didn't play, and they were in vanilla. Was Croyle supposed to go out and throw a bunch of TD's to win the job? Manning wouldn't have done that.

FAX
11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
... It wasn't that Croyle looked horrible in preseason, the Entire offense sucked balls. Half the starters didn't play, and they were in vanilla. Was Croyle supposed to go out and throw a bunch of TD's to win the job? Manning wouldn't have done that.

Yepperooties.

FAX

HypnotizedMonkey
11-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Huh? Jealous much?

..that we're not in first place anymore after that Medlock-inspired fourth quarter suckfest by one of the greatest kickers of all-time?

:hmmm:

sure, why not?

Frosty
11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I harbor a vague but growing fear that the fans will come down hard on Croyle in situations where the o-line is the actual culprit.

Of course, the Huard backers will point to the same thing for Huard. I am hoping, though, that Croyle's mobility and arm will help overcome the inadequacies of the O-line somewhat, though I am not expecting miracles.

StcChief
11-14-2007, 11:39 AM
name two things that can' be used in the same sentence....

Yahoo Sports and experts