PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NFL Expert Smile on switch to Croyle

KCwolf
11-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Where should starting QB changes happen?
By Jeffri Chadiha
ESPN.com
Updated: November 13, 2007

Damon Huard has squired the Chiefs to a 4-5 record, which still is good enough to remain in contention for an AFC playoff spot, but he will give way to Brodie Croyle as the starting QB this week.

It's hard to imagine a tougher job for an NFL head coach than deciding when to change quarterbacks.

Some coaches say their choices all come down to something they feel in their gut. Others claim the players' efforts are all they need to make a switch. The reality, however, is that benching a starting quarterback is an epic risk -- and most head coaches usually don't like taking risks.

The point of all this is that we've reached that point in the season when certain teams have to start making the hard choices. New York Jets coach Eric Mangini was the first to rethink his depth chart, as he benched Chad Pennington a couple weeks back and turned his team over to second-year veteran Kellen Clemens. It was the smart move because the Jets, now 1-8, had to start thinking about the future anyway. In fact, several people wondered why it took Mangini so long to yank Pennington in the first place.

This week Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards joined the crowd as well; Damon Huard is now out as the Chiefs' starter and Brodie Croyle is in. It will be interesting to see how that one plays out but it won't be the only other quarterback change dominating the headlines. There are a few others to discuss so we'll get right to it:

1.Did Herm Edwards make the right decision in naming Brodie Croyle as the Chiefs' starting quarterback?

Yes. It's time for the Brodie Croyle era to begin because the Damon Huard era essentially had run its course in Kansas City. Croyle has a stronger arm and more mobility and if he'd been more consistent during the preseason, Huard never would have started in the first place. Croyle knows this. Huard knows this. And every other player in the Chiefs' locker room certainly understands this well.

The problem, of course, is that the Chiefs aren't toiling at the bottom of the AFC West. At 4-5, they are one game out of first place and they're trailing the same San Diego Chargers they beat by 14 points on the road earlier this year. That means Croyle has to resist his natural instinct to rifle risky passes into tight coverage. It's one thing to have a gunslinger's mentality. It's a whole different issue when that mentality leads to turnovers, especially for an offense that has plenty of trouble scoring points in the first place.

The good news here is that the Chiefs finally will see how tough Croyle really is. He'll be playing behind a feeble offensive line that left Huard shell-shocked and his best weapon, Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson, is nursing a sprained foot. So the smart money says he'll take his shots and he'll see plenty of blitzes. If he can make it through this with his confidence intact, he should have a solid future ahead of him.

RustShack
11-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Go Brodie Croyle! It's the Brodie Bowe Show!

chagrin
11-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Feeble Offensive line? I think I read no here that the O-line is fine and we shouldn't worry about it until the later rounds of the draft :rolleyes:

Pushead2
11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Hopefully Broadie can show us something....

Dartgod
11-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Feeble Offensive line? I think I read no here that the O-line is fine and we shouldn't worry about it until the later rounds of the draft :rolleyes:
What dumbass posted that?

Sure-Oz
11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Huard looked like Byron Leftwich back there, and would fall if wind hit him

DaFace
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Apparently, I've missed those posts, unless you're talking about something that was said during the offseason.