PDA

View Full Version : Freeney may have Lisfranc

jjchieffan
11-14-2007, 04:16 AM
I know there has been speculation that LJ has the same injury, so I thought I would post this. Sorry if repost. I didnt see anything on this elsewhere.

The Indianapolis Colts already expect Dwight Freeney not to play for several weeks because of a left foot injury, but now there's reason to believe the Pro Bowl defensive end's season might be over.

Though more tests have to be completed for the team to make a final determination, a source said Tuesday that Freeney might have suffered a Lisfranc injury in Sunday's loss to the San Diego Chargers. If additional tests verify the initial diagnosis of the midfoot injury, the source said Freeney will need season-ending surgery.

Players who have suffered Lisfranc injuries, even those not needing surgical repair, have needed months to rehabilitate.

In the wake of Freeney getting hurt, the Colts didn't take any chances; on Monday, they placed a waiver claim on defensive end Simeon Rice. The 34-year-old Rice was let go by the Broncos on Friday after he requested his release.

On his weekly radio show Monday night, Colts president Bill Polian said the initial timetable for Freeney's recovery would be three to four weeks.

The Colts signed Freeney in July to a six-year deal, paying an average of $12 million. He has 21 tackles and 3½ sacks in Indianapolis' 7-2 start.

Freeney experienced a lot of pain Sunday when he suffered the injury. He had to be carted to the locker room and left Qualcomm Stadium wearing a boot. He told friends he could have been hurt when a Chargers blocker stepped on his foot when he was making a spin move.

Swelling in the foot is preventing a final determination of the injury. But if the prognosis is a Lisfranc, Freeney would be finished for this season, although the prognosis of a return in the 2008 would be good.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli was included in this report.

pr_capone
11-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Funny..... until this season I had not even heard of a Lisfranc. Now this is the second player in 2 weeks.

plbrdude
11-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Funny..... until this season I had not even heard of a Lisfranc. Now this is the second player in 2 weeks.

it's the new epidemic

Kerberos
11-14-2007, 06:37 AM

Ty Law had this injury three years ago before he signed with the JETS. He was hurting the whole year he played for them 9+ months AFTER the surgery.

From what I have read it is NOT an easy injury to overcome and takes a ton of rehab.

DaKCMan AP
11-14-2007, 06:39 AM

Lisfranc was the latest rage when Ty Law got hurt a few years ago.

chop
11-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Kevin Jones suffered the same injury at the end of last year. It took him close to a full year to recover.

HypnotizedMonkey
11-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Peyton Manning is gonna get hogtied!

Dave Lane
11-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Actually my info is that is what LJ has as well.

Dave

Pushead2
11-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Great Rice will be sacking Croyle :(

TRR
11-14-2007, 07:38 AM
LJ wouldn't be walking without crutches if he had a lisfranc type injury to his foot. It is very painful.

Tribal Warfare
11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
LJ wouldn't be walking without crutches if he had a lisfranc type injury to his foot. It is very painful.

One can with the proper painkillers and toughness, I was walking around with a dislocated kneecap when I was 19.

TRR
11-14-2007, 08:13 AM
One can with the proper painkillers and toughness, I was walking around with a dislocated kneecap when I was 19.

The knee is different. If you have a lisfranc type of injury, you cannot put any weight on the foot, and doctors would not let him walk without assistance if this were the case. It has nothing to do with medication or toughness.

What I didn't see though was if LJ was wearing a protective boot. It didn't look like he was.

Tribal Warfare
11-14-2007, 08:16 AM
The knee is different. If you have a lisfranc type of injury, you cannot put any weight on the foot, and doctors would not let him walk without assistance if this were the case. It has nothing to do with medication or toughness.

What I didn't see though was if LJ was wearing a protective boot. It didn't look like he was.

One can put weight on it, but it's very tender in doing so. My dad saw the replay, and noticed that the docs had to tell LJ not to walk on it when he came off the field. This was due to the uncertainty of how severe it was.

TRR
11-14-2007, 08:22 AM
One can put weight on it, but it's very tender in doing so. My dad saw the replay, and noticed that the docs had to tell LJ not to walk on it when he came off the field. This was due to the uncertainty of how severe it was.

Initially...However, he was walking without assistance during the game against Denver. Which would not be possible with a lisfranc type of injury....period. Doctors would not have let him walk around without crutches, etc...if they feared that it was more than just a badly sprained foot.

boogblaster
11-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I'd rather have Rice playin than Freeney ....

Sure-Oz
11-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Kevin Jones suffered the same injury at the end of last year. It took him close to a full year to recover.
Yeah, he has pain in his foot now and may miss sunday's game due to it because of the thanksgiving game. So it's still a healing process that takes over a year.

ct
11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Freeney is officially done (http://colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=c3e22e35-a839-457b-ac16-744d17b6bdea)

Wednesday, November 14
FREENEY OUT FOR SEASON

By John Oehser - Colts.com

Three-Time Pro Bowl Defensive End Placed on Injured Reserve

INDIANAPOLIS – The concern became official on Wednesday:
Dwight Freeney’s season is over.

Freeney, the Colts’ three-time Pro Bowl defensive end, sustained a LisFranc injury in his left foot against the San Diego Chargers Sunday night that will reqire surgery. He has been placed on the Injured Reserve list, the Colts announced in a statement Wednesday.

Team physicians anticipate a “full and complete recovery in time for the 2008 season,” the statement said.

Placing a player on injured reserve means he cannot return that season.

The Colts have claimed three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Simeon Rice off waivers from the Denver Broncos, a move announced by Colts President Bill Polian Monday night.

The Colts officially announced Rice’s acquisition Wednesday afternoon.

Freeney, the No. 11 overall selection in the 2002 NFL Draft, has a franchise-record 60 sacks in six NFL seasons. He had 3.5 this season and also had a team-high 19 pressures.

Freeney also had forced a team-high four fumbles this season.

Rice, who was released by the Denver Broncos on Friday, had signed with the Broncos on September 3 after being released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Rice, a 12-year veteran and the third overall selection in the 1996 NFL Draft, has 121 career sacks, second only to Michael Strahan of the New York Giants among active players. He played in eight games with two sacks last season before being placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

Rice started one of six games played with the Broncos this season, registering eight tackles and no sacks. He played six seasons with Tampa Bay, from 2001-2006, registering 69.5 sacks in the Tampa 2, one-gap style of defense.

Dungy coached the Buccaneers from 1996-2001.

Also on Wednesday, the Colts re-signed to the active roster cornerback/returner T.J. Rushing, who was released last Friday. They also signed Devin Aromashodu, a wide receiver who spent training camp with the Colts.

Aromashodu was signed off the Houston Texans’ practice squad.

The Colts also placed linebacker Victor Worsley on injured reserved and signed linebacker Brandon Archer to the practice squad.

StcChief
11-14-2007, 11:34 AM
That should help McIntosh and Brodie out.

Sure-Oz
11-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Huge loss, good thing they got a washed up Simeon Rice.

ct
11-14-2007, 11:35 AM
And Carl just made a mental note...

Wile_E_Coyote
11-14-2007, 11:43 AM
They just picked up ROFL Rice so they could ROFL get some info on how to play the Chiefs ROFL

Sure-Oz
11-14-2007, 11:44 AM
They just picked up ROFL Rice so they could ROFL get some info on how to play the Chiefs ROFL
His answer was "they suck"

Wile_E_Coyote
11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
His answer was "they suck"

& he didn't even play them ROFL

MIAdragon
11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Great Rice will be sacking Croyle :(

http://www.snapoffracing.com/forums/images/smilies/signsmilies/rice.gif

naa I dont think he will be effective at all.

AZORChiefFan
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I worked in a frame shop in "Ahwatukee" (South Phx) when Rice was a rookie or 2nd year player for the Cards. He came in to have a couple of his Jerseys framed. Dude was freakin huge and well no polite way to put it but dumb. Dunno how this will translate into his play on Sunday, I doubt much.

Coogs
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Freeney, the No. 11 overall selection in the 2002 NFL Draft, has a franchise-record 60 sacks in six NFL seasons. He had 3.5 this season and also had a team-high 19 pressures.

Freeney also had forced a team-high four fumbles this season.

They may have got Freeney at #11, but we got the real player in this draft at #6 and only had to trade up a couple of spots to do that. :banghead:

BigRedChief
11-14-2007, 12:31 PM
more offically offical news
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3110140

AZORChiefFan
11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.nocensorship.us/images/lisa_frank.gif

This Lisfranc stuff is pretty bad.

Tribal Warfare
11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Initially...However, he was walking without assistance during the game against Denver. Which would not be possible with a lisfranc type of injury....period.

WRONG, If you are a board certified ER physican like my dad then I'll listen to you.