PDA

View Full Version : offensive changes...

Mr. Laz
11-14-2007, 11:56 AM
1. Be aware that wiegmann isn't a power center and the running game needs to be of the sweep,trap and pulling variety.

2. goodbye Kris Wilson. He brings nothing to the offense that another player can't do better. Gonzo is a better tightend, Priest is a better runner and receiver out of the backfield. Bring in Grigsby for extra blocking or if he sucks then don't use a fullback ... just add another wide receiver or tightend.

3. Start calling 2 plays in the huddle ... 1 run play, 1 pass play. I've seen defenses with 9 players in the box. Croyle needs to go to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense .... then hand signal and/or call out which of the 2 plays should be run. At least this will not have us running into a brick wall.

4. offense 101 ..... run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run. This is the best thing we can do to help our offensive line.

5. offense 101 (part 2) when a defense stacks the box and SWING pass does NOT count as an effective counter measure. We must thrown the ball past the 9 men in the box to get the needed results.

6. offense 101 (part 3) Running the ball 35 times and throwing the ball 35 times in a game is still not a balances offense IF you don't add unpredictability into the equation. running the ball 35 times in a row and then throwing it 35 times in a row is meaningless. Running it on every 1st down or throwing it on every 3rd down and you might as well just tell the defense your plays before you run them.

7. Must improve stretching the defense .... stretch is sideline to sideline and vertically down the field on a consistant basis if we are going to start dictating to the defense instead of letting them dictate to us.

8. formations .... we also need to change personnel groups more to force the defense to adapt as well. 2 wideouts ... 3 wideouts ... 4 wideouts ... 5 wideouts. 3 tightends. It keeps the defenses guessing and can cause sloppy mistakes.

9. Stay aggressive ... if your offense plays scared, if your Quarterback plays scared then you have probably already lost.

Have a Good Day!

Laz

Pushead2
11-14-2007, 12:13 PM
1. Be aware that wiegmann isn't a power center and the running game needs to be of the sweep,trap and pulling variety.

2. goodbye Kris Wilson. He brings nothing to the offense that another player can't do better. Gonzo is a better tightend, Priest is a better runner and receiver out of the backfield. Bring in Grigsby for extra blocking or if he sucks then don't use a fullback ... just add another wide receiver or tightend.

3. Start calling 2 plays in the huddle ... 1 run play, 1 pass play. I've seen defenses with 9 players in the box. Croyle needs to go to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense .... then hand signal and/or call out which of the 2 plays should be run. At least this will not have us running into a brick wall.

4. offense 101 ..... run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run. This is the best thing we can do to help our offensive line.

5. offense 101 (part 2) when a defense stacks the box and SWING pass does NOT count as an effective counter measure. We must thrown the ball past the 9 men in the box to get the needed results.

6. offense 101 (part 3) Running the ball 35 times and throwing the ball 35 times in a game is still not a balances offense IF you don't add unpredictability into the equation. running the ball 35 times in a row and then throwing it 35 times in a row is meaningless. Running it on every 1st down or throwing it on every 3rd down and you might as well just tell the defense your plays before you run them.

7. Must improve stretching the defense .... stretch is sideline to sideline and vertically down the field on a consistant basis if we are going to start dictating to the defense instead of letting them dictate to us.

8. formations .... we also need to change personnel groups more to force the defense to adapt as well. 2 wideouts ... 3 wideouts ... 4 wideouts ... 5 wideouts. 3 tightends. It keeps the defenses guessing and can cause sloppy mistakes.

9. Stay aggressive ... if your offense plays scared, if your Quarterback plays scared then you have probably already lost.

Have a Good Day!

Laz

Thanks Coach, I am ready now....

FringeNC
11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Agree with everything except the Kris Wilson thing. Having Kris Wilson in there adds the unpredictability you stressed. Kris Wilson is not that great at either receiving or blocking, but can do either one.

chop
11-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Agree with everything except the Kris Wilson thing. Having Kris Wilson in there adds the unpredictability you stressed. Kris Wilson is not that great at either receiving or blocking, but can do either one.

I thought they drafted Wilson because he could catch. He was going to be the secret weapon his rookie year until the injury.

Bump
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
we need a QB that's capable of reading a defense and calling an audible if need be. How many times do we have to run up the gut into a brickwall?

Rausch
11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Agree with everything except the Kris Wilson thing. Having Kris Wilson in there adds the unpredictability you stressed.

Unpredictability is one way of saying it.
Another is that you never know when he'll drop it, fumble it, or actually catch the damned thing for once...

Kris Wilson is not that great at either receiving or blocking, but can do either one.

So since he sucks as both a blocker and a pass catcher he's a dual threat?

:spock:

Molitoth
11-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Croyle won't use Wilson like Huard did. (which is a good thing) so why waste a spot for Wilson on the field?

the Talking Can
11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
and any time that Bowe is in single man coverage THROW HIM THE G-D D-MN BALL....

the Talking Can
11-14-2007, 01:16 PM
I won't shed a tear when the Wilson experiment ends.

Brock
11-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't think I've seen the Chiefs call audibles since Bill Kenney was their quarterback. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that most of the better teams can change the play after the huddle.

morphius
11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
One I would like to see, stop bringing all of your people into the box, you have trouble running the ball with 7-8 men in the box, why bring in 10 with an 11th peeking in? They know we don't have the speed at WR to really make them pay with a play action pass.

chasedude
11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't think I've seen the Chiefs call audibles since Bill Kenney was their quarterback. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that most of the better teams can change the play after the huddle.

I've noticed this for awhile too. Manning calls multiple audibles on the line with very good outcomes. I guess he's just better at reading the defense than the cronies we've had for the last few years.

Chiefnj2
11-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Herm keeps saying he thinks Niswanger's future is at center.

Since Welbourn hasn't done well in the power game and seems to have lost a lot since his last suspension, why not try moving Weigman to guard and put Niswanger at his natural position? You'll have 3 fairly mobile inside linemen and you can try to run some more pulling plays.

morphius
11-14-2007, 02:21 PM
We have speed at WR, but we dont have an Oline that can pass protect long enough for them to open up, and we didnt (with Huard) have a QB that can get them the ball.
I think Kennison was the only real burner on the team. Parker is fast, but plays slow. Bowe isn't all that fast, but he fights for the ball. Sipio supposedly isn't very fast by NFL standards. I'm not sure about Webb, but I don't know that I have seen him blow past anyone, ever.

Micjones
11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Wilson can be effective if used properly.

He's masquerading as a FB, but he has a place in this offense. He's a resource. We just need to play to his strengths.

Hydrae
11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Herm keeps saying he thinks Niswanger's future is at center.

Since Welbourn hasn't done well in the power game and seems to have lost a lot since his last suspension, why not try moving Weigman to guard and put Niswanger at his natural position? You'll have 3 fairly mobile inside linemen and you can try to run some more pulling plays.

If Casey is considered too small for center I doubt he has enough beef for the guard position.

RustShack
11-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Bowe is fast enough to get past CB's and S's. His body size and amazing catch ability is just a huge bonus. He had Champ Bailey beat on the sure TD pass, just if the pass was thrown 1/2 an inch shorter.

siberian khatru
11-14-2007, 02:36 PM
3. Start calling 2 plays in the huddle ... 1 run play, 1 pass play. I've seen defenses with 9 players in the box. Croyle needs to go to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense .... then hand signal and/or call out which of the 2 plays should be run.

This is too complicated for our young receivers.

Calcountry
11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I've noticed this for awhile too. Manning calls multiple audibles on the line with very good outcomes. I guess he's just better at reading the defense than the cronies we've had for the last few years.It's not just reading the defense. He can drop a ball between 2 defenders and the Receiver doesn't even have to break stride to catch it. Almost like a handoff, and this is 25 yards down field.

Manning also carries out his playfakes as well as any QB in the NFL.

Remember Steve Deberg? Different style, but a killer playfake.

go bowe
11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
and any time that Bowe is in single man coverage THROW HIM THE G-D D-MN BALL....YES!!

MY MAN!!!

go bowe...

take some of the pressure off croyle, and help us score!!!!!1!

go bowe...

Chiefnj2
11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
If Casey is considered too small for center I doubt he has enough beef for the guard position.

So I've heard. Casey is only 5 lbs less than Lilja the RG from Indy that everyone wants to make a priority to sign this offseason.

Mr. Laz
11-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks Coach, I am ready now....
then get in there and kick some ass!!

CupidStunt
11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Offensive changes?

Roaf unretires > McIntosh

McIntosh > Terry/Turley

Rosie O'Donnell > Casey Wiegmann

A trained monkey > Kris Wilson

scott free
11-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Wilson can be effective if used properly.

He's masquerading as a FB, but he has a place in this offense. He's a resource. We just need to play to his strengths.

I agree, he did have some miscues last week...but who didnt???

He has good hands, decent speed, is big enough to body check LB's for passes & can outmuscle Safeties.

He's been COMPLETELY misused this year, the Indy game last year should be the blueprint for how to use him.