PDA

View Full Version : Allen is wreaking havoc on opposing offenses

aturnis
11-14-2007, 05:57 PM
An ESPN Insider story I haven't seen posted yet...but I'm not an insider. Can anyone help? Sorry if repost.

Allen is wreaking havoc on opposing offenses (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?id=3109982&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fid%3d3109982)

By Jeremy Green

Updated: November 14, 2007

Maybe he has a chip on his shoulder. Maybe his two-game suspension the league handed down has lit a fire under him. Maybe he's inspired by impending unrestricted free agency.

Whatever the case may be, Kansas City DE Jared Allen is taking his frustrations out on opposing offenses this season.

Demonpenz
11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
It's against board policy to post inside information

kstater
11-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Ask GoChiefs, he has insider information

aturnis
11-14-2007, 06:00 PM
really?

Deberg_1990
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Its too bad he doesnt play for a better team

Valiant
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
It's against board policy to post inside information

But you can illegally get nfl film off of here.. go figure..

JohninGpt
11-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Ask GoChiefs, he has insider information
I thought that was premium content.

Crashride
11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
we used to put insider articles up all the time...

FAX
11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't know what the article says, but if I were an opposing team, I'd be sending cases of liquor over to JA's house every week.

FAX

kstater
11-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't know what the article says, but if I were an opposing team, I'd be sending cases of liquor over to JA's house every week.

FAX

As long as it goes to his house and JA stays there, I see no problems with this.

Nelson Muntz
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Ask GoChiefs, he has insider bullshit

FYP

aturnis
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
crashride...I'll ask again, who is the INCREDIBLE hulk in your sig?

barry_smilez20
11-14-2007, 09:20 PM
ive heard allen gets a swig of whiskey on the sideline for every sack he gets

StcChief
11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Just face plant Manning right in their turf.

barry_smilez20
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Just face plant Manning right in their turf.

and after he does that the score shall be 69- 0 colts

Thig Lyfe
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Who in their right mind would PAY for ESPN shit?

Crashride
11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
crashride...I'll ask again, who is the INCREDIBLE hulk in your sig?

The vid is here....... http://www.zshare.net/video/30544896fd5a3f/

from this thread......

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=169211

gta0012
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Now thats a body...i just don't believe she would have a good face haha

barry_smilez20
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Now thats a body...i just don't believe she would have a good face haha

i bet her face is straight hott

KcKing
11-14-2007, 10:22 PM
If I were to guess on what the rest of the article said... It'd probably go something like this...

----------

Maybe he has a chip on his shoulder. Maybe his two-game suspension the league handed down has lit a fire under him. Maybe he's inspired by impending unrestricted free agency.

Whatever the case may be, Kansas City DE Jared Allen is taking his frustrations out on opposing offenses this season.

Allen did not have an offseason to remember. He was looking for a long term commitment from the Chiefs, but instead they saddled him with the highest tender (teams matching the Chiefs' offer would need to surrender first and third-round picks) that you can give to a player who is a restricted free agent. Then Allen discovered he would have to serve a two-game suspension for a violation of the NFL's new code of conduct policy, but none of that has slowed the DE from taking care of business on the field.

Jared Allen
Defensive End
Kansas City Chiefs

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Solo Ast FF Sack Int
32 26 6 2 10 0

He is on a mission right now to prove the Chiefs wrong. He has done that thus far in a big way, which is going to put the Chiefs in a precarious position this offseason. Do they pay the highly-productive cornerstone of their defense or let him walk because of the baggage he carries off the field?

Allen always has been a very good player, but something seems different this season. He is only 1.5 sacks away from tying his single-season career high of 11, which he did in 2005 during a 16-game season. So far he leads the NFL with 9.5 sacks and he has done it in two fewer games than everyone else.

I went inside the film room and came away with some thoughts on how Allen has become one of the most feared pass rushers in the NFL this season.

The first thing you notice is his intensity and high motor. As an offensive tackle in this league you better be in good condition because Allen is not going to take a down off. So, you need to be ready to play on every single snap.

Another thing that jumps out when you go to the tape is that he looks much quicker and more explosive than in years past. To be a feared pass rusher in NFL, you need to have excellent first-step quickness and explosion. This season he is getting more sacks because of his ability to put his foot in the ground quickly, get up the field and turn the corner. Plus, due to his motor, Allen is a guy who is also going to get some sacks when the QB has trouble finding a receiver, because he never gives up on a play.

Allen is not the fastest or most athletic DE in the NFL, but once he gets on that edge and gets the offensive tackle on his hip, the effort and desire become a huge factor again. His motor and effort allow him to close quickly on the QB once he turns the corner. Allen always has been a great technician as a pass rusher. In the past he did not win often enough with speed, but now that he has added that speed element to go with his quick hands and counter moves, he is a guy who can keep offensive coordinators up at night.

You also have to give the Chiefs' staff credit this season for Allen becoming a more dominant player. They are moving him around a little more to the left and right side, which can create more mismatches that are in his favor.

Allen also has what some other top pass rushers don't have and that is the ability to play the run as well. Allen is an excellent leverage player and he comes off the ball low and gets into the tackle square. Plus, he uses his hands well to counter and shed at the point of attack. When you try to run away from his side, his motor once again becomes a factor because he gets down the line extremely quickly. Due to his ability to play the run and rush the passer, Allen is one of the most versatile defensive ends in the game.

If Allen does hit the open market, time will tell what his value will be. Some teams will shy away because of the character concerns and some won't. I can't speak to what he does off the field, but I can speak to what he does on the field and that is wreak havoc on opposing offenses. If he has a second half of the season like the first, the Defensive Player of the Year award will be within his grasp.