View Full Version : Barry Bonds Indited by Grand Jury

Stinger
11-15-2007, 04:15 PM
For Purjury and obstruction of justice just announced over ESPN radio

Link to follow I am sure

~~Edit~~

First Link

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SUCA3G0&show_article=1

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, the culmination of a four-year federal investigation into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury looking into steroid use by elite athletes.

Der Flöprer
11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
It's been a long time since we've burned a witch at the stake. This should be interesting. The Barry Witch project.

FAX
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow. I'm no attorney, but that isn't good, is it?

FAX

Cochise
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Whoa. He could end up with the Pete Rose treatment.

(Not to mention the two felony charges...)

BigVE
11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
This is probably another p.r. stunt by Barry's agent...the guy just LOVES the spotlight. :)

kstater
11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10475622

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, the culmination of a four-year federal investigation into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury looking into steroid use by elite athletes.

The indictment came three months after Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader. Bonds, 43, parted ways with the San Francisco Giants after the season.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron, a grand jury was working behind closed doors to put the finishing touches on the long-rumored indictment.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserve

barry_smilez20
11-15-2007, 04:25 PM
he can still hit the ball though

Sure-Oz
Sign him Royals!!!!!!!!!!

hawkchief
Couldn't happen to a bigger douche.

While they're at it, MLB should be indicted on just plain being greedy and stupid.

Donger
11-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Barry Bonds Indited by Grand Jury

Is this a parody thread?

Valiant
11-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Couldn't happen to a bigger douche.

While they're at it, MLB should be indicted on just plain being greedy and stupid.

Well at least cable companies can obtain their baseball ticket opposed to the pricks over at the NFL..

StcChief
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
if this doesn't keep him out of cooperstown nothing will.

HemiEd
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Is this a parody thread?

ZING!

chasedude
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow... is he going to have an asterisk (*) next to his name in the books too?

Jim Jones
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Between this, Vick and O.J., ESPN is about to turn into Court TV.

BIG_DADDY
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM

LMAO ESPN sucks ass.

Halfcan
11-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Why couldn't they have done this 2 years ago??

BIG_DADDY
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
This indictment will make him the most famous athlete ever. Their doing him a favor. The way they have went after him is unpresidented.

alpha_omega
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
MLB should be indicted!!!!!!

Halfcan
11-15-2007, 05:05 PM
A symbol of a needle should be used next to all of his stats.

Between Roids and his hitting machine arm band-the guy is the biggest cheat in sports.

Demonpenz
11-15-2007, 05:16 PM
this should have been done along time ago. Finally the government does something right

BIG_DADDY
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
MLB should be indicted!!!!!!

Amen

Reaper16
Is this a parody thread?
I believe its a parity thread, actually.

BIG_DADDY
A symbol of a needle should be used next to all of his stats.

Between Roids and his hitting machine arm band-the guy is the biggest cheat in sports.

ROFL

Anyong Bluth
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Wow. I'm no attorney, but that isn't good, is it?

FAX

Feds have a 95% success rate. Either conviction or plea deal.

BIG_DADDY
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Feds have a 95% success rate. Either conviction or plea deal.

That's because they threaten everyone with their life if they don't say what they want them to. It's the American way.

BIG_DADDY
11-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Thank god I live in America where I am free. Free to say exactly what the feds want me to or lose the rest of my life over something this friggen lame.

Thrillhouse
11-15-2007, 05:47 PM
It only took an hour for Steven A. Smith to play the race card.

Spott
11-15-2007, 05:54 PM

That figures. I'd pay good money to see someone kick him square in the nads.

HolmeZz
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Clean out your ears. He didn't play the race card. He said some in the black community playing the race card is inevitable. He said Bonds is obviously guilty, but there are people in the black community who are going to make him out to be some sort of victim, like they did with Vick.

Anyong Bluth
11-15-2007, 06:03 PM
That's because they threaten everyone with their life if they don't say what they want them to. It's the American way.

Don't **** with the machine. This isn't a some shotty state's case. Feds have unlimited resources.

Truth is- why the F do I care about going after a roider in baseball... my tax dollars can be used in better ways... Pretty absurd, and I don't think its a race driven deal, but McGuire and the rest busted get no Fed attention.

What are the chances that the SF jury is gonna convict their local hero b/c no way Bonds pleas- its going to trial.

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Clean out your ears. He didn't play the race card. He said some in the black community playing the race card is inevitable. He said Bonds is obviously guilty, but there are people in the black community who are going to make him out to be some sort of victim, like they did with Vick.I was just watching ESPN. He was playing the race card.

EyePod
11-15-2007, 06:13 PM
learn to spell!! it's indicted! not indited!!

in·dite
–verb (used with object), -dit·ed, -dit·ing.
1. to compose or write, as a poem.
2. to treat in a literary composition.
3. Obsolete. to dictate.
4. Obsolete. to prescribe.

HolmeZz
11-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I was just watching ESPN. He was playing the race card.

I don't know if he did another piece on ESPN, but the piece Thrillhouse was referring to he completely mischaracterized. He said there would be some in the black community who would place the race card, make Bonds out to be a victim, and claim that a white athlete wouldn't get treated that way. Stephen didn't say that was how he felt. He said that's the perception.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Barry indicted, but our War criminals are probably somewhere teeing off...

America, The Beautiful.
Scapegoat Splendor!!!

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know if he did another piece on ESPN, but the piece Thrillhouse was referring to he completely mischaracterized. He said there would be some in the black community who would place the race card, make Bonds out to be a victim, and claim that a white athlete wouldn't get treated that way. Stephen didn't say that was how he felt. He said that's the perception.

I wonder who'll play the truth card?

OnTheWarpath58
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I can't help but think that if he hadn't lied to the grand jury to begin with, there wouldn't be anything to indict him over.

Thrillhouse
11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
I thought I heard Steven A. Smith say something to the effect of 'Bonds' race played some role in this, in some way no matter how big or small it may have been'.

I was messing around on the 'net at the time and could have misheard what he said, however.

Easy 6
11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Hopefully, when all of these troubles have passed...he & Albert Bell can open a popular sports bar called McAssholes.

Bearcat
11-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Yeah, every time I turn it on... it was on at 4:30 when I got home. Flipped it over to watch College Gameday and it's still on :cuss:

Don't most people get ESPN News? Can't they put this crap there?

HolmeZz
11-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I thought I heard Steven A. Smith say something to the effect of 'Bonds' race played some role in this, in some way no matter how big or small it may have been'.

I was messing around on the 'net at the time and could have misheard what he said, however.

He said that would be the perception some in the black community would have.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:45 PM
God knows no one non-Black will think race played a part in this situation. [/sarcasm]

Frazod
11-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Do I think Bonds sucks? Is a cheater? A prick? A racist? His own worst enemy? Kept out of Cooperstown? Yes, on all counts.

But do I consider him to be a true criminal, worthy of a FOUR YEAR investigation and all the resources and money spent on this crap, previous, present and future? NO.

Some Blackwater goon can go shoot up an Iraqi grade school for kicks and not even get so much as a slap on the wrist. But Bonds will probably go to jail over lying about something that is, at its heart, nothing more than entertainment.

Something is really wrong here.

AndChiefs
11-15-2007, 06:51 PM
I'd say that if Bonds was a likable guy: black or white, the lying probably would've been less likely to guarantee this indictment. The fact that he's a douche who's obviously in it for himself didn't help to soften any hearts.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Do I think Bonds sucks? Is a cheater? A prick? A racist? His own worst enemy? Kept out of Cooperstown? Yes, on all counts.

But do I consider him to be a true criminal, worthy of a FOUR YEAR investigation and all the resources and money spent on this crap, previous, present and future? NO.

Some Blackwater goon can go shoot up an Iraqi grade school for kicks and not even get so much as a slap on the wrist. But Bonds will probably go to jail over lying about something that is, at its heart, nothing more than entertainment.

Hello!!!

Thrillhouse
11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
God knows no one non-Black will think race played a part in this situation. [/sarcasm]

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton already have their gasoline and matches ready.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd say that if Bonds was a likable guy: black or white, the lying probably would've been less likely to guarantee this indictment. The fact that he's a douche who's obviously in it for himself didn't help to soften any hearts.

The professional sports world is full of jerks and assholes who've been protected and shielded by the media. And less likely to be persecuted in the court of public opinion.

Easy 6
11-15-2007, 06:54 PM

I'm in no mood for another "RACEATHON 07" tonight, we've been there & done that...but, has there EVER been a situation where a black guy gets in trouble & race ISNT brought up???

Cant a black guy EVER just be wrong without an ulterior motive from whitey???

Thats all i have to say, any reply stands on its own.

Easy 6
11-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Quite true.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton already have their gasoline and matches ready.

I never care who the messenger carrying my package is.
It's always the message that's important.

Let me get this out of the way though.
Both Sharpton and Jackson have done things that call their credibility into question...

Dirty little secret though...
The vitriol that comes along with their surnames has little do with that though.

(Don't tell anybody)

Frazod
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello!!!

I'm sorry, I did realize I had to quote you to agree with you.

But I don't think Barry's a scapegoat - he's just misdirection. Every now and then the elite throws a non-very-likable fringe member to the crows so that us little people can enjoy their public ruination and feel like justice still exists.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm in no mood for another "RACEATHON 07" tonight, we've been there & done that...but, has there EVER been a situation where a black guy gets in trouble & race ISNT brought up???

Cant a black guy EVER just be wrong without an ulterior motive from whitey???

Thats all i have to say, any reply stands on its own.

*Waving to the strawman*

I love it when people refuse to acknowledge the humanity of African-American people. If you've befriended honest, law-abiding people of moral standard CERTAINLY there must be a few coloreds who do, no?

Sheesh...

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2007, 06:59 PM

Something is really wrong here.Completely agree. I really wish our gov't would waste our tax dollars on something less useless.

Micjones
11-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry, I did realize I had to quote you to agree with you.

But I don't think Barry's a scapegoat - he's just misdirection. Every now and then the elite throws a non-very-likable fringe member to the crows so that us little people can enjoy their public ruination and feel like justice still exists.

The damage has long been done concerning our political exploits.
This administration doesn't need misdirection.

But, to your point, it does happen.

Easy 6
11-15-2007, 07:02 PM
*Waving to the strawman*

I love it when people refuse to acknowledge the humanity of African-American people. If you've befriended honest, law-abiding people of moral standard CERTAINLY there must be a few coloreds who do, no?

Sheesh...

OK, i said no reply here...but i HAVE to ask you to clarify this statement.

Thrillhouse
11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Although I agree Barry Bonds is somewhat of a scapegoat or a pariah if you will, I ALSO believe steroids is a bigger issue than some may lead to believe. Specifically in regards to our youth. Hell, just look at the deaths in professional wrestling.

JBucc
11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I agree with you guys. The Govurnment needs to quit wasting our money and time on this crap and deal with important issues, like preventing companies from reducing the size of their sausage logs while raising the price.

HMc
11-15-2007, 08:11 PM
this should have been done along time ago. Finally the government does something right

Yeah i guess this makes up for invading iraq hey

Cochise
11-15-2007, 08:44 PM
To be more clinical about this, what we probably have is the government holding some kind of positive test for PEDs, which should do to his legacy what probably should be done, and something else that says he's been dishonest about it this whole time.

He never was really denying that he had used steroids, he simply said he didn't know what he was using. The government is saying that the grand jury believes the evidence says that he did know, and he lied about it. Almost no one believes him now, after whatever this evidence is, it can only get worse for him.

We have probably also seen him play his last game - I am not sure what team would have a guy at the price he wants with two felony counts hanging over his head. He'd be a huge distraction, he himself would be distracted, and I don't think there is a fan base in the league that would have it.

I don't think there is a team that wants to burn goodwill in that way. How would Dayton Moore say to David Glass, we need to spend tens of millions on Barry Bonds despite all this? You could add two or three pieces with some upside for his asking price, without the baggage.

I think that he and his legacy, such as it is, are going to be finished when this is over in the court of public opinion.

Halfcan
11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
To be more clinical about this, what we probably have is the government holding some kind of positive test for PEDs, which should do to his legacy what probably should be done, and something else that says he's been dishonest about it this whole time.

He never was really denying that he had used steroids, he simply said he didn't know what he was using. The government is saying that the grand jury believes the evidence says that he did know, and he lied about it. Almost no one believes him now, after whatever this evidence is, it can only get worse for him.

We have probably also seen him play his last game - I am not sure what team would have a guy at the price he wants with two felony counts hanging over his head. He'd be a huge distraction, he himself would be distracted, and I don't think there is a fan base in the league that would have it.

I don't think there is a team that wants to burn goodwill in that way. How would Dayton Moore say to David Glass, we need to spend tens of millions on Barry Bonds despite all this? You could add two or three pieces with some upside for his asking price, without the baggage.

I think that he and his legacy, such as it is, are going to be finished when this is over in the court of public opinion.

Wow-nicely said. ;)

FAX
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
What does PEZ have to do with anything? Did Bonds rip somebody's head off and eat their liver?

FAX

Cochise
11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes. With fava beans and a nice cocktail of bovine hormones.

Mojo Rising
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
If he didn't lie like all of the others who testified this wouldn't be an issue. The Feds don't like being lied to. They did the same thing to Marion Jones. She lied and they pounced on her.

I personally don't think they are wasting tax dollars. They are just preserving the integrity of the justice system.

Coincidentally, Greg Anderson was released from prison today. There is some speculation that he finally rolled over. His lawyer (from Scott Peterson fame) denied that he co-operated.

I hope they next go after Bonds for tax evasion. I don't think it's right that a role model thumbs his nose at the law like he does. It doesn't set a good example for the kids who look up to him.

Mr. Laz
11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
i thought i just saw something about a judge's order to release Barry Bond's personal trainer.

looks like the trainer finally gave it up

i don't like Bonds at all .... but this is lame.

Dylan
11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Who do you think will pick up Big Head Barry "BALCO" Bonds*? http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/ponder.gif

Dylan
11-15-2007, 10:16 PM
AARP?

Simplex3
11-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Although I agree Barry Bonds is somewhat of a scapegoat or a pariah if you will, I ALSO believe steroids is a bigger issue than some may lead to believe. Specifically in regards to our youth. Hell, just look at the deaths in professional wrestling.
Nobody forces you to take roids. Anyone that is so stupid that they don't know it can be dangerous isn't the kind of person we need reproducing anyway.

It's win/win when idiots kill themselves and don't take anyone else with them.

Simplex3
11-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I heard this on the radio driving home tonight. The thing I thought was funniest was his lawyer's quote that "when the truth comes out the feds' case will fall apart."

How many f**king times do we need to hear this bulls**t line from lawyers for morons telling us "once the truth comes out"? If the truth is so damned obvious and overwhelmingly in favor of your client you'd be spitting it out RIGHT NOW.

Morons selling stupidity to morons.

Dylan
11-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Who do you think will pick up Big Head Barry "BALCO" Bonds*? http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/ponder.gif

FBI? ROFL

Extra Point
11-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Hopefully, when all of these troubles have passed...he & Albert Bell can open a popular sports bar called McAssholes.

O'Roidley's has a better ring to it, IMHO.

Der Flöprer
11-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Anyone who thinks that this is a good thing, please step up and offer to foot the bill. The amount of tax payer money wasted on this whole ordeal is laughable. Not only that, but it comes AFTER he broke the record. Just absolutely stupid on so many levels. Thank you to the genius who decided to waste our money on this.

Valiant
11-15-2007, 11:57 PM
The prick deserves the asterisk but come on, a federal indictment??? None of their damn business with it or using my money to waste on the indictment..

Mojo Rising
11-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Anyone who thinks that this is a good thing, please step up and offer to foot the bill. The amount of tax payer money wasted on this whole ordeal is laughable. Not only that, but it comes AFTER he broke the record. Just absolutely stupid on so many levels. Thank you to the genius who decided to waste our money on this.

I think it is a good idea with my portion of Fed tax dollars.

AFTER he broke the record? If the Feds cared about that they would have indicted him before he broke the record. Then they could have prevented it.

The timing has more to do with a new Attornet General sworn in yesterday.

The crux of this case will be when Barroid denied injecting anything. The positive drug tests will prove the drugs he took were injectible. Second will be the flax seed oil and cream Anderson gave him.

They will chronicle Barroids obsession of everything that went into his body. Why wouldn't he care about the cream and clear?

Then the testimony of the Playboy chick who will confirm he took roids and maybe Conte as well.

ClevelandBronco
11-16-2007, 12:26 AM
The dewd
is screwed.

Der Flöprer
11-16-2007, 12:49 AM
I think it is a good idea with my portion of Fed tax dollars.

AFTER he broke the record? If the Feds cared about that they would have indicted him before he broke the record. Then they could have prevented it.

The timing has more to do with a new Attornet General sworn in yesterday.

The crux of this case will be when Barroid denied injecting anything. The positive drug tests will prove the drugs he took were injectible. Second will be the flax seed oil and cream Anderson gave him.

They will chronicle Barroids obsession of everything that went into his body. Why wouldn't he care about the cream and clear?

Then the testimony of the Playboy chick who will confirm he took roids and maybe Conte as well.

So the truth is worth ANY price to you right? I guess for me, at a certain point you ask yourself, Is this harming me or someone else? If the answer is no, put your money where harm IS.

Dylan
11-16-2007, 12:55 AM
"Each of the three statutes—perjury, grand jury perjury, and false statement—carries a five-year sentence."

The general rule is don't lie to the government under oath.

Sincerely,

Martha Stewart

nitey nite,

Lewis "Scooter" Libby

Unless you're friends with the U.S. Supreme.

Best,

Bill Clinton (42st President: 1993-2001)

Mojo Rising
11-16-2007, 01:13 AM
So the truth is worth ANY price to you right? I guess for me, at a certain point you ask yourself, Is this harming me or someone else? If the answer is no, put your money where harm IS.

If he is facing 30 years if convicted of all crimes then the American people must think his crimes are important.

Keep in mind that the Justice Dept dumped the local Fed Prosecutor last year. So, the new Grand Jury kept Anderson in jail because they had a case. Then a new Attny Gen was confirmed yesterday.

In other words, the cost to us would be less if there weren't other issues going on. They weren't just going to let everyone go free because there was unrest in the Attrny General office.

Yes. He is harming you and someone else.

1. The justice system. He lied about a crime he committed when he didn't have to because he was offered immunity.

(This harms you because if the govt. doesn't send a message that perjury is against the law then criminals at all levels will lie because if Barry can get away with it...)

2. The IRS by his tax cheating. I am surprised this case hasn't come forward yet. BB sold $80k worth of memorbiglia to buy his mistresses condo in Arizona. He did not file this income on his return. This escalates the burden on you and every tax payer.

3. He cheated us all by stealing both HR records which used to be the most cherished records in sports. This is not prosecutable. However, by prosecuting him, Bud could eliminate his records from history.

SPchief
11-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Awful. The number 2 team goes down tonight. On Sportscenter, they show limited highlights of the game to open then proceed to say "and moving on, the next 60 minutes of sportscenter will be about Barry Bonds"

KC_Connection
11-16-2007, 01:55 AM
It sucks that we have may have seen the last of the greatest player my eyes will likely ever see, but he shouldn't have lied under oath, that was dumb.

Cochise
11-16-2007, 07:01 AM
The prick deserves the asterisk but come on, a federal indictment??? None of their damn business with it or using my money to waste on the indictment..

I think he ought to get the same treatment as anyone else who lied to a grand jury would get.

Simplex3
11-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Barry knocking back a little vitamin R? No harm to anyone else.

Barry lying under oath in a court? Different story. You can't arbitrarily decide who does and doesn't get to lie under oath, or what it's ok to lie under oath about.

seclark
11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
f@ck barry bonds
f@ck a-rod
and f@ck those little pussy 12oz tubes of jimmy dean sausage.
sec

penchief
11-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Don't worry. Maybe the president will give Bonds the same kind of pardon that Libby got for perjury and obstruction of justice.

Bwana
11-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Don't worry. Maybe the president will give Bonds the same kind of pardon that Libby got for perjury and obstruction of justice.

Maybe not.........

Cochise
11-16-2007, 10:48 AM

This is just another example of the corporate thieving corruption culture of dishonesty cancerous fatcats buzzword eating lying republican liars, trying to hate our elderly freedoms and retirement prescriptions for entitlement and health care notices of halliburton compassion and buzzword oil price rights.

pikesome
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
This is just another example of the corporate thieving corruption culture of dishonesty cancerous fatcats buzzword eating lying republican liars, trying to hate our elderly freedoms and retirement prescriptions for entitlement and health care notices of halliburton compassion and buzzword oil price rights.

:spock:

You just distilled the entire Washington DC forum down to one post. Oh...you forgot to fit Ron Paul in there. How about:

This is just another example of the corporate thieving corruption culture of dishonesty cancerous fatcats buzzword eating lying republican liars, trying to hate our elderly freedoms and retirement prescriptions for entitlement and health care notices of halliburton compassion and buzzword oil price rights which Ron Paul will sweep away, riding on a landslide victory.

There you go.

BIG_DADDY
11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
If he is facing 30 years if convicted of all crimes then the American people must think his crimes are important.

Keep in mind that the Justice Dept dumped the local Fed Prosecutor last year. So, the new Grand Jury kept Anderson in jail because they had a case. Then a new Attny Gen was confirmed yesterday.

In other words, the cost to us would be less if there weren't other issues going on. They weren't just going to let everyone go free because there was unrest in the Attrny General office.

Yes. He is harming you and someone else.

1. The justice system. He lied about a crime he committed when he didn't have to because he was offered immunity.

(This harms you because if the govt. doesn't send a message that perjury is against the law then criminals at all levels will lie because if Barry can get away with it...)

2. The IRS by his tax cheating. I am surprised this case hasn't come forward yet. BB sold $80k worth of memorbiglia to buy his mistresses condo in Arizona. He did not file this income on his return. This escalates the burden on you and every tax payer.

3. He cheated us all by stealing both HR records which used to be the most cherished records in sports. This is not prosecutable. However, by prosecuting him, Bud could eliminate his records from history.

If he played for the Dodgers you would be supporting him. The only reason are all behind it is he played for the hated Giants.

The government shouldn't be involved in policing sports, period. They have spent 12 million on this witch hunt so far it's friggen ridiculous.

penchief
11-16-2007, 02:09 PM

So, what do you have against a pardon? Bonds rocks. This is all a left-wing government conspiricay to deprive him of his free market rights.

Pushead2
11-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Fah Q Bonds.

Cochise
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
:spock:

You just distilled the entire Washington DC forum down to one post. Oh...you forgot to fit Ron Paul in there. How about:

There you go.

Actually if I were going to do that, I'd have to reply to every post in every thread in the lounge with a post about Run Paul.

Mojo Rising
11-16-2007, 08:37 PM
If he played for the Dodgers you would be supporting him. The only reason are all behind it is he played for the hated Giants.

The government shouldn't be involved in policing sports, period. They have spent 12 million on this witch hunt so far it's friggen ridiculous.

Not true. I wouldn't support Bonds. And, I really don't have a lot of hate for the Giants.

Listening to sports radio was funny yesterday. The 1st 4 callers all said no matter what the evidence was, if they were on the jury, they would vote innocent.

The government is simply investigating an illegal steroids operation (Balco), it just so happened that athletes were the main clients of Balco. This is not the govt. trying to manage sports.

BB is a role model for kids. If he lies and skates then kids will think it's OK to lie. They will also think steroids is OK. Steroids are very damaging to kids.

Dylan
11-16-2007, 11:46 PM
http://nationallampoonsplog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/bonds-hero.jpg

Demonpenz
11-17-2007, 12:24 AM
the sad thing about that picture you just posted is if you set it as your wall paper....you better use the stretch feature. It is much more lifelike

Boyceofsummer
11-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Now they want to take down one of the icons that brought so much revenue to the game of baseball. MLB wanted the home run to flourish in American ballparks. Money money money. The Yankees are allowed to out spend every team every year. But this is fair and is not enhancing one franchise. Lets put an asterisk on every Yankee pennant and World Series. Bonds passed MLB drug testing during his career. He'll be exonerated.

Dylan
11-17-2007, 04:47 AM
the sad thing about that picture you just posted is if you set it as your wall paper....you better use the stretch feature. It is much more lifelike
I'm proud of the two noble investigative reporters from the San Francisco Chronicle who broke a story that sportswriters were unwilling to do. The story reaches far beyond the dope users -- it's a series behind the dealings of Victor Conte and the company BALCO -- which created performance-enhancer drugs to dozens of athletes to ensure they earned their place in the record books.

At the same time, there is plenty of blame to go around -- Bud Selig, Major League of Baseball, the Players Association and various high level officials tried to suppress the evidence. While they're at it, put an asterisk by a few of those names.

* I lifted the photo above off a site. I found it funny. ;)

Mojo Rising
11-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Now they want to take down one of the icons that brought so much revenue to the game of baseball. MLB wanted the home run to flourish in American ballparks. Money money money. The Yankees are allowed to out spend every team every year. But this is fair and is not enhancing one franchise. Lets put an asterisk on every Yankee pennant and World Series. Bonds passed MLB drug testing during his career. He'll be exonerated.

When Bonds was juiced there was not a test for players. If you would have said he never failed a test you would be right. However, he never passed a test during the years in question.

Plus, the Balco drug was designed to be un-detectable.

The Fed indictment sites that BB failed internal Balco tests and that is the crux of the case.

Dylan
11-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Track star Marion Jones was stripped of her world title. Will Major League Baseball protect the home run list of Aaron & Mays? Or did the Feds wait until Bonds broke Hank Aaron's record to pursue their case? If the Feds case falls apart, you can bet the I.R.S.' case won't. lol

The New York Times

Doping Officials Question Baseball’s Policy on Drugs

By JULIET MACUR
Published: November 17, 2007
MADRID, Nov. 16 — After years of criticizing Major League Baseball for what he called useless, toothless drug-testing policies, Dick Pound, chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency, chastised the sport again Friday, saying that Barry Bonds’s indictment on perjury charges confirmed that the league’s doping problems were “out of control.”

“The professional leagues have consistently denied they are cheating their public and putting their athletes at risk by saying there is no problem, there is no drug use,” Pound said. “When forced to acknowledge that there is, and these investigations are starting to show that it is really widespread, they are turning the other way.

“We’ve seen this before, in cycling, and we all know what happened to that sport — it nearly destroyed itself.”

As Bonds was indicted Thursday, Pound and 1,500 antidoping, government and sports officials convened here at the World Conference on Doping in Sport to discuss and ratify a revision of the world antidoping code, and to address strategies to fight doping.

Though the code is far more detailed and sophisticated than baseball’s drug policy, Pound admits that it is far from foolproof in catching athletes who cheat. There will always be drugs that are undetectable and athletes who find ways to skirt the system, he said, using the track star Marion Jones as an example of an athlete who was on a doping program but was caught only when law enforcement intervened.

Jones, a five-time Olympic medalist, last month admitted to making false statements to government agents and using performance-enhancing drugs leading up to the Olympics in 2000, three years before the World Anti-Doping Code was adopted.

“It’s extremely troubling that she was tested 160 times in her career and never tested positive,” Pound said. “I like to think that we can figure out what went wrong if anything went wrong.”
Many officials here were not surprised that the Bonds case had escalated to a criminal indictment, in connection with the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative investigation. They said baseball’s drug policy was too porous and its out-of-competition testing too spare to be an effective tool against performance-enhancing drug use.

Each year, only a maximum of 60 off-season drug tests are conducted on the league’s 1,200 players. “Until there is out-of-competition testing without notice, any time of day or night, 365 days in a year, there will be problems in our professional leagues,” said Scott M. Burns, deputy director for state and local affairs at the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

Burns, the United States’ representative to the World Anti-Doping Agency, said some leagues gave their players advance notice when it came to drug tests, giving those players time to rid their system of any substance that may produce a positive test.

“Then they say, ‘We tested negative!’ They hold that up, like they don’t have a problem,” Burns said. “But until they have an independent entity in charge of the testing protocols, they haven’t gotten serious.”

For some leagues, adopting the World Anti-Doping Agency’s code may pose a problem: They may have a flood of athletes caught under those strict rules. After seeing a sport like cycling buckle with so many athletes testing positive, league officials may be leery of subjecting their sport to the same scrutiny.

In recent years, cycling has experienced a series of doping scandals. Floyd Landis, the 2006 Tour de France winner, was stripped of the title after testing positive for synthetic testosterone during the race. Sponsors have fled. TV stations have refused to cover the Tour. Some fans have begun to mistrust their heroes; others have backed away. More than 50 cyclists are accused of being connected to the Operation Puerto blood doping case in Spain, in which a doctor was suspected of giving blood transfusions to athletes.

“The world is changing and you have to have tough antidoping rules to keep your sport going,” Pat McQuaid, head of the International Cycling Union, said. “You can’t live in your own world and think that everything will be O.K. because governments and police are involved now, and we’ve had to up the ante to keep our sport clean.

“Baseball should have been smart enough to realize that this was coming,” he said.

Pound said the sticking point to signing onto the world antidoping code for many leagues was the code’s strict sanctions. Under the current rules, the minimum penalty for testing positive is a two-year ban. The revised code calls for a possible minimum ban of four years if there are “aggravating circumstances,” which would include being involved in doping schemes.

“You could hear the pros saying: ‘A two-year suspension for a little thing like drugs? No way, man!’” he said. “The leagues want Moose to be out there 20 games a year, or 180 games a year, playing their sport.

“Unless they make big changes, I guarantee you that something like this Bonds situation will happen again and again.”

Mojo Rising
11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Track star Marion Jones was stripped of her world title. Will Major League Baseball protect the home run list of Aaron & Mays? Or did the Feds wait until Bonds broke Hank Aaron's record to pursue their case? If the Feds case falls apart, you can bet the I.R.S.' case won't. lol

BB sold $80k of merchandise and didn't report it. I am angry that the IRS hasn't gone after him already. BB made between $15 and 20 M a year and leaves us regular Joe's to pick up the tax bill on the merchandise he sold to buy his Mistress a condo.

stevieray
11-17-2007, 02:36 PM

seek professional help.

Dylan
11-17-2007, 03:37 PM

BB sold $80k of merchandise and didn't report it. I am angry that the IRS hasn't gone after him already. BB made between $15 and 20 M a year and leaves us regular Joe's to pick up the tax bill on the merchandise he sold to buy his Mistress a condo.

One thing for certain, the IRS will be there at the end of day, paper in hand -- penalties and interest added up the night before to collect their money. The IRS is most powerful agency in the history of the world. ... ROFL

Dylan
11-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I owed them about $300. this year. Paid them... and still got a letter that they're looking to seize my assets.

damn

Simplex3
11-17-2007, 04:04 PM
One thing for certain, the IRS will be there at the end of day, paper in hand -- penalties and interest added up the night before to collect their money. The IRS is most powerful agency in the history of the world. ... ROFL
The IRS is f**king insane. I just got another letter for a deal they said three months ago was resolved.

Basically they want to penalize me for not filing a form that they would penalize me for filing and they've admitted as much.

I would kill people if it would get the Fair Tax implemented. No question.

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Not true. I wouldn't support Bonds. And, I really don't have a lot of hate for the Giants.

Listening to sports radio was funny yesterday. The 1st 4 callers all said no matter what the evidence was, if they were on the jury, they would vote innocent.

The government is simply investigating an illegal steroids operation (Balco), it just so happened that athletes were the main clients of Balco. This is not the govt. trying to manage sports.

BB is a role model for kids. If he lies and skates then kids will think it's OK to lie. They will also think steroids is OK. Steroids are very damaging to kids.

First of all there are not a bunch of kids on steroids. Very damaging? I suppose anything could be if taken wrong. A roll model, no he's an athlete Randy. Some athletes choose to become positive roll models but that shouldn't be a prerequisite to playing the game of being singled out to go after.

If you believe Conseco everyone was juicing or the majority were. Barry is the only guy they are going after and the level they have taken it to is beyond ridiculous.

I had no idea you were such a big government guy. Ever since this Balco case it has been used as an excuse for our government to get involved in all sports. I can't believe you are attempting to say otherwise. When the president of the United States uses his state of the union address to get into roids we have a serious problem with our governments lack of focas. When you have the senate majority leader heading up the investigation on steroid use in baseball I don't know how you can say the government isn't getting involved.

Here is the kicker, nothing is going to change. Athletes will always be looking for an advantage and adding a bunch more substances to the banned list every year is just going to turn other sports into what cycling is becoming, a joke.

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Don't even get me started on the IRS. I have some old stuff I am going over. I live up to my end of the deal every time and they never live up to what they say they will do. First million will stay here then I am going to start moving 50% off shore.

Mojo Rising
11-17-2007, 05:36 PM
First of all there are not a bunch of kids on steroids. Very damaging? I suppose anything could be if taken wrong. A roll model, no he's an athlete Randy. Some athletes choose to become positive roll models but that shouldn't be a prerequisite to playing the game of being singled out to go after.

If you believe Conseco everyone was juicing or the majority were. Barry is the only guy they are going after and the level they have taken it to is beyond ridiculous.

I had no idea you were such a big government guy. Ever since this Balco case it has been used as an excuse for our government to get involved in all sports. I can't believe you are attempting to say otherwise. When the president of the United States uses his state of the union address to get into roids we have a serious problem with our governments lack of focas. When you have the senate majority leader heading up the investigation on steroid use in baseball I don't know how you can say the government isn't getting involved.

Here is the kicker, nothing is going to change. Athletes will always be looking for an advantage and adding a bunch more substances to the banned list every year is just going to turn other sports into what cycling is becoming, a joke.

Steroids are damaging to kids. If kids inject testosterone and hormones into their bodies while they are developing their bodies will stop producing them naturally.

Barry was the only one that lied and that is why they are going after him. This is not the Congressional hearings that had Palmeiro, Sosa, etc on the panel. This was a criminal investigation.

Like it or not Barry is a role model. Comes with the territory and the paycheck. Kids look up to him and follow what he does.

And, here's the real kicker...when all other Outfielders go to negotiate their contracts, they are compared to Barroid when their salary (worth) is determined. No pressure.

Big govt. guy? You sound like Denise complaining about the Patriot Act.

(I know that's not gonna sit well.)

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Steroids are damaging to kids. If kids inject testosterone and hormones into their bodies while they are developing their bodies will stop producing them naturally.

Barry was the only one that lied and that is why they are going after him. This is not the Congressional hearings that had Palmeiro, Sosa, etc on the panel. This was a criminal investigation.

Like it or not Barry is a role model. Comes with the territory and the paycheck. Kids look up to him and follow what he does.

And, here's the real kicker...when all other Outfielders go to negotiate their contracts, they are compared to Barroid when their salary (worth) is determined. No pressure.

Big govt. guy? You sound like Denise complaining about the Patriot Act.

(I know that's not gonna sit well.)

Yea well the Patriot Act is the most unpatriotic thing we could have passed. I agree with Denise on that one.

Face it, you're a BIG government guy.

Mojo Rising
11-17-2007, 05:53 PM
If you consider Big Government as prosecuting someone who knowingly went before the Grand Jury and lying...then I am.

Just think if you were up on murder charges and someone falsely testified that you did it and you got the chair.

I know that is beyond what Barroid lied about but where do you draw the line? It is a slippery slope.

The fact is that Barroid knew he couldn't steal the HR record like he did and he was trying to preserve his HOF candidacy so he lied. He was the only one that lied so the Feds went after him.

The Feds don't like to be lied to.

If he would have pulled a Giambi he would be playing for the Mariners next year.

BTW. How many World Series Championships do the Giants have? How do they compare to the Diamondbacks and Marlins?

kstater
11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I think he ought to get the same treatment as anyone else who lied to a grand jury would get.

So the government spends 4 years and millions of dollars on everyone who potentially lies to a grand jury?

Mojo Rising
11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
So the government spends 4 years and millions of dollars on everyone who potentially lies to a grand jury?

Potentially? So Barroid did not knowingly take steroids and HGH? I guess it was flax seed oil.

TEX
11-17-2007, 06:30 PM

Who cares? Not everyone has the resources Bonds has to hide facts. It might take longer to prove someone like him is guilty.

kstater
11-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Who cares? Not everyone has the resources Bonds has to hide facts. It might take longer to prove someone like him is guilty.

So your saying how much money someone has should affect the way an investigation is run?

OnTheWarpath58
11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Bottom line is this:

If Barry had gotten his juice from anyone OTHER than BALCO, we wouldn't be talking about this.

Wrong lab, wrong time.

This isn't a witch hunt, the Feds aren't picking on BB.

His name was ALL OVER the BALCO labs when the raid took place.

It's not like they were chasing Bonds specifically, he just got hung up in the net.

And again, he wouldn't be in this position has he not LIED to the Grand Jury. Or cheated on his taxes. Or basically implied to the government that he was untouchable.