PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: The Future Is Now

Kerberos
11-16-2007, 05:54 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/16/gretz_the_future_is_now/

GRETZ: The Future Is Now

Nov 16, 2007, 6:07:39 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

OK Chiefs Fan, youíve been asking for it, youíve been demanding it. Now you have it.

Brodie Croyle is the Chiefs starting quarterback for the rest of the 2007 season, or as long as the teamís leaky pass protection allows him to remain in a vertical position.

For the better part of the last 20 years, or since the failure of 1983 first-round choice Todd Blackledge to establish himself as a successful NFL quarterback, Iíve heard Chiefs Fan lament the organizationís inability to draft and develop its own quarterback. A long list of veteran quarterbacks have passed through the position with the Chiefs over the last 20 years. Heck, the same could be said for the entire 48-season history of the franchise.

How about this: the Texans-Chiefs have never drafted and developed a successful NFL quarterback. Never. In that nearly half-century only Len Dawson and Trent Green really made the job their own. Dawson was the franchiseís starter for the better part of 14 seasons, led them to three American Football League championships, a Super Bowl title and a place in the Hall of Fame. He started 158 games. Green opened 88 games over his six seasons with the team. Both came to the team from other teams and in Dawsonís case, another league.

At various times coaches tried to make draft choices like Pete Beathard (1st-round/1964), Mike Livingston (2nd/1968), Steve Fuller (1st/1979) and Blackledge the next Dawson. None of them ever stuck. Livingston had the best chance, starting 74 games in the mid to late 1970s. His problem was the team was falling apart at the same time. Fuller started 31 games, Blackledge opened 25 and Beathard ended up starting just two games.

Now, another young colt holds the job, a third-round pick in just his second professional season.

I wonder Chiefs Fan if this might fall under the category of the old saying: ďbe careful what you wish for, because you might get it.Ē
Chiefs Fan are you prepared to be patient? Are you ready to watch your young, inexperienced passer through some balls that make you wonder if he has even a clue? Chiefs Fan are you sure you are ready to see your developmental quarterback scramble away from pressure and cough up the football with a fumble?

Make no mistake, unless Croyle is different than just about every other quarterback that has come down the NFL pike, those moments are ahead and they will be plentiful.

With the possible exception of Dan Marino and his Hall of Fame career in Miami, every quarterback worth anything in this league has gone through tough times before establishing himself. Itís a rite of passage; the old heat creates the nerves of steel that every successful quarterback must possess to endure the ups and downs of the position.
Chiefs Fan you havenít had to put up with that for a long time.

Blackledge came to the team in the year of the quarterback, one of six drafted in the first round. He was the leader of a national championship team at Penn State. He was a big, strong, smart and earnest young man, who had almost all of the intangibles that scouts and coaches are looking for in their starting quarterback.

He failed miserably. In those 25 starts, the Chiefs were 13-12. In 40 games with the Chiefs, Blackledge threw 26 touchdown passes against 32 interceptions. He fumbled 19 times. Thatís 40 games and 51 turnovers.

Chiefs Fan, thatís what happens with young quarterbacks.

I know itís been awhile.

Are you ready?

cdcox
11-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I'm ready. In fact, I don't think we'll be ready to make any kind of long-term evaluation on Croyle until the end of NEXT season. Blackledge had 25 starts before the Chiefs gave up on him. I think the only way you can even make the evaluation that soon was that he was getting worse with time.

I don't think we'll learn much about him in 7 games. That will provide an experience base for him to build on during the off season though.

Bob Dole
11-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Bob Dole is MORE than ready. While Bob Dole expects a solid ass-kicking this Sunday, Bob Dole is actually looking forward to watching the game for a change.

HemiEd
11-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Here is the difference that I see. Brodie is the best QB on this team, Blackledge wasn't even close.

thehead
11-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Bob Dole is MORE than ready. While Bob Dole expects a solid ass-kicking this Sunday, Bob Dole is actually looking forward to watching the game for a change.

Agree ,bring on Brodie Croyle :)

FAX
11-16-2007, 06:38 AM
"Are you ready to watch your young, inexperienced passer through some balls ...?"

Dang, Gretz. No.

FAX

Kerberos
11-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Could watching Croyle throw some panic throws for interceptions be ANY worse than watching Horrid do a "Backfoot Heave Interception Chuck" because his noodle arm doesn't have enough on it to get the ball where it needs to go....EVERY GAME?

I think NOT.

I am positive we are in for a long haul with Brodie if he succeeds as our QBOF. He is going to get UGLY before he gets better if Gretz is right.

KCFalcon59
11-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Chiefs Fan you havenít had to put up with that for a long time.

We've only watched Huard perform like a rookie all year. We're ready.

stevieray
11-16-2007, 07:08 AM
This move is so overdue.

that is all...

Reerun_KC
11-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Gretz, anything is better than Huard, whom your boss thought had the best chance to win now. Your bosses QB quit on his team last weekend...

shut up, go back to pittsburg. You suck!

scott free
11-16-2007, 07:22 AM
There WILL be a faction that bays for blood when he makes a few ugly mistakes...but not me, you cant improve on the pine.

Let the schooling begin.

Lonewolf Ed
11-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Gretz is just defending King Carl's philosophy of bringing in cast-off QBs from other teams. I remember what a great idea it was to bring in San Fran's 3rd string QB because he was so familiar with the West Coast Offense... and I will never forget his fire, competetive spirit, and courage as he did a hook slide on the one yard line on 3rd and goal. Curse and damn you, Steve Bono!

Kerberos
11-16-2007, 07:37 AM
There WILL be a faction that bays for blood when he makes a few ugly mistakes...but not me, you cant improve on the pine.

Let the schooling begin.

Since when did Hootie qualify as a "Faction"?

As you are right and a few will want to Inevitably make a that Proverbial "Moutain out of a Mole Hill" I think we can all agree that frustration will get the better of us at some point.

I just hope Brodie can live up to some of the hype people have put on him. If he can make the best of every chance he gets I am sure we will ALL breath a sigh of relief come next August when training camp starts and Horrid is either gone or back where he belongs at the start of the season.... ON THE SIDELINES with a clipboard in hand. :thumb:

scott free
11-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Since when did Hootie qualify as a "Faction"?

I think that a few bad games will cause the ranks of F-Troop to swell.

Warrior5
11-16-2007, 07:46 AM
"Be careful what you wish for; you might just get it."

Pure dumbassery? Or is Gretz just meeting a deadline when he doesn't have anything to write about? Maybe both.

I fully expect the Colts to destroy the Chiefs on Sunday.
Crap! We was assaulted by dem Tigers when we was in the Bocage country. You know what I mean by assaulted? WELL I MEAN ASSAULTED!

But how can anything less than "good" come from Croyle starting? He's going to get sacked. He's going to throw picks. He's going to display poor judgment. At times, he may even look like Captain Checkdown (but with a cannon instead of the Wobble Launcher). I don't care...

Croyle will show promise and start developing, or he'll prove to be a bust over the rest of the season and we start looking at a QB acquisition. Either way, that's progress.

Rausch
11-16-2007, 07:53 AM
While I'm glad Croyle is starting now I don't understand why people care where a good player comes from.

You think Rams fans don't count their ring, or enjoyed it any less, just because Warner was from the EU league? Doubtful.

I want to see the Chiefs win a super bowl. I don't care what style, what players, or how old they are...

trndobrd
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
I think that a few bad games will cause the ranks of F-Troop to swell.

That's why I say Herm played it right.

It was really great proposition for Herm. If Huard comes in as a world beater, great. If he Huard starts and stinks it up, then bring in the kid without having a QB controversy. Now Croyle can play relaxed, without worrying about being yanked, and Herm isn't going to have to answer the "are you thinking about pulling Croyle?" question after every game.

Coogs
11-16-2007, 07:59 AM

:thumb:

scott free
11-16-2007, 08:02 AM

It was really great proposition for Herm. If Huard comes in as a world beater, great. If he Huard starts and stinks it up, then bring in the kid without having a QB controversy. Now Croyle can play relaxed, without worrying about being yanked, and Herm isn't going to have to answer the "are you thinking about pulling Croyle?" question after every game.

Thats a very good point.

Rausch
11-16-2007, 08:06 AM

Exactly.

Since Herm waited to the point a large number of fans were chanting "Brodie! Brodie!" he can make the move knowing the fans are behind it. At the start of the season some were for Croyle, some for Huard, and Herm had the "win now" mentality.

He gets pts from the team for letting the best man win and he gets pts for knowing when to bench the starter for ineptitude as well. He waited until about 99% of the fanbase agreed with the Croyle move before making it...

Otter
11-16-2007, 08:10 AM
:skip:

This isn't how we've done things in the past!!! We tried it once and it didn't work!!!

Don't let the cat near the baby or it will steal it's breath and don't put your hat on the bed and don't walk under that ladder!!!

---
Bring on Brodie baby!

patteeu
11-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Let the schooling begin.

Unfortunately, I bet that faction will be pretty big here at CP by the end of the season.

scott free
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, I bet that faction will be pretty big here at CP by the end of the season.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!

Chiefnj2
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM

Sadly, it will happen at Arrowhead. The kid was booed in preseason for crying out loud. It'll be a good excuse when Carl signs Chad this offseason.

InChiefsHell
11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
This has indeed been a pretty genius move by Herm...he waited until the right moment to start the kid, gave Huard all the chances in the world to keep Brodie on the bench...then when Huard got exposed at HOME and lost the game for us, he could put in Brodie without any second guessing. He knows now that Brodie will get a pass for inexperience when he screws up that Huard couldn't and shouldn't get. Herm is not a stupid man.

Go Brodie GO!!

patteeu
11-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Thats a very good point.

I agree. But in fairness, it was a good point when Hootie made it before the season too. (I'm not taking anything away from trndobrd here because for all I know, he thought of it first).

Coogs
11-16-2007, 08:29 AM
It'll be a good excuse when Carl signs Chad this offseason.

That right there should be enough to get the entire fan base behind Croyle. Plan B is Pennington. :shake:

Rooster
11-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Chiefs Fan, thatís what happens with young quarterbacks.

I know itís been awhile.

Are you ready?

CRAP!! NO!! I changed my mind. Put Huard back in. Your are so right Gretz.

Baby Lee
11-16-2007, 08:33 AM
With the possible exception of Dan Marino and his Hall of Fame career in Miami, every quarterback worth anything in this league has gone through tough times before establishing himself.
Tom Brady?
Granted Aikman and Manning had their growing pains, but I don't remember McNabb or McNair being anything but promising. They might have had growing pains to some extent, but I don't remember them 'Ryan Leafing' up the joint. Leftwich was as good as he was gonna get pretty early on, though he was constantly plagued with injuries, but that's not the same as growing pains. Carson Palmer came in as a QB with more skills than the rest of his team, not a QB growing into his role.

Baby Lee
11-16-2007, 08:37 AM
I fully expect the Colts to destroy the Chiefs on Sunday.
I think the D will have a plan. I don't expect a victory, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something strongly resembling last year's playoff game, with the question of whether Brodie's throws are better than an addled Green's determining whether we make it closer.

Baby Lee
11-16-2007, 08:39 AM
The kid was booed in preseason for crying out loud.
Damned sentence structure ambiguity, I spent 30 seconds trying to remember when Brodie cried out loud in the preseason.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Sadly, it will happen at Arrowhead. The kid was booed in preseason for crying out loud. It'll be a good excuse when Carl signs Chad this offseason.

shows how classless and uneducated some of the chiefs fans really are.

Always reminds me of the Alan Iverson "practice" rant.

To boo someone in practice is a pretty bush league thing to do. Welcome to Camarohead.

Chiefnj2
11-16-2007, 08:47 AM
shows how classless and uneducated some of the chiefs fans really are.

Always reminds me of the Alan Iverson "practice" rant.

To boo someone in practice is a pretty bush league thing to do. Welcome to Camarohead.

It's going to be brutal for the kid. Even last week you'd think people would finally be excited about the team giving Croyle a shot and watching him play. Nope. Stadium emptied out early in the 4th.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
It's going to be brutal for the kid. Even last week you'd think people would finally be excited about the team giving Croyle a shot and watching him play. Nope. Stadium emptied out early in the 4th.

Bringing Horrid in the 3rd Qtr, then him melting down and quiting on the team didnt help the fanbase any, Starting Croyle in the 3rd, would of kept arrowhead rocking the rest of the game. But bringing in the kid after Mr Wobble Launcher Quit, just sent the fans home early.

Yeah there will be no shows, but those are the True fans that honor Carl and Mediocrity.

Yeah it will be brutal for Croyle, but at least those who are there will get to see the Chiefs building for the future.

FringeNC
11-16-2007, 09:08 AM
When evaluating Croyle, we need to look at the offense as a whole, not just Brodie's QB rating. If the the threat of Croyle using his big arm opens up the running game, that's big.

Rausch
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Bringing Horrid in the 3rd Qtr, then him melting down and quiting on the team didnt help the fanbase any, Starting Croyle in the 3rd, would of kept arrowhead rocking the rest of the game. But bringing in the kid after Mr Wobble Launcher Quit, just sent the fans home early.

That, and by the time he did come in there was no realistic chance he could win the game. He might play good, throw a TD or a big bomb, but the game was decided at that point. It was still a loss to a dog$#it Denver team, at home, with the division on the line.

donkhater
11-16-2007, 09:17 AM
brady stepped in as a rookie, played great, and hasnt stopped.
Brady stepped in in his second season. Roethlisberger has also played pretty well right off the bat. His first three seasons they didn't lean on him much, but that game time experience is sure paying off now with a terriffic season.

FAX
11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Sadly, it will happen at Arrowhead. The kid was booed in preseason for crying out loud. ...

Fie on those classless bastards. I urinate on their placemats.

FAX

Chiefnj2
11-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Fie on those classless bastards. I urinate on their placemats.

FAX

They don't have placemats. They need the extra money to buy two of the smaller sized Jimmy Dean breakfast sausages; and not the damn Sage and Maple Syrup kind either.

shaneo69
11-16-2007, 09:34 AM
GRETZ: The Future Is Now

"OK Chiefs Fan, youíve been asking for it, youíve been demanding it. Now you have it."

I wonder if Gretz is talking to TRUE Chiefs Fan, or IDIOTIC SPORTSRADIO Chiefs Fan.

Chris Meck
11-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't think Huard 'quit' on the team. I think Huard lacks SKILLS, not heart.

Kerberos
11-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Well put. I also do not doubt his heart....just his arm stregth and his ability to read a defense accurately.

Demonpenz
11-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I am ready to give him a chace, and if he plays poorly we still have huard waiting in the wings

C-Mac
11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Are you ready to watch your young, inexperienced passer through some balls that make you wonder if he has even a clue? Chiefs Fan are you sure you are ready to see your developmental quarterback scramble away from pressure and cough up the football with a fumble?

Huard has prepared us Chiefs Fans very well, trust me...we are all ready.

Fruit Ninja
11-16-2007, 01:52 PM
We we prepared to suck? well, isnt that what we have been doing for 37 ****ing years?

Kerberos
11-16-2007, 02:33 PM
We we prepared to suck? well, isnt that what we have been doing for 37 ****ing years?

I wouldn't really catagorize the Chiefs of the 90's, (as a whole) as "SUCKING", but they definitely were challenged in a different way.

Our defense was MUCH more dominate for the most part and our offense was usually middle of the road, no frills etc etc

Our offense right NOW is no where near middle of the road and our defense is still one or two players away from dominate.

HemiEd
11-16-2007, 02:39 PM

I think the fans merciless boos were the last straw, he had more weight on his shoulders than he could handle. He quit IMO, he gave it all he had and it wasn't enough.

Kerberos
11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the fans merciless boos were the last straw, he had more weight on his shoulders than he could handle. He quit IMO, he gave it all he had and it wasn't enough.

Arrowhead crowd AND some pretty pissed off fans can be harsh to any QB that doesn't perform well. No playoff wins since 93 can cause fans to lose patience FAST.

It seems to me Green got boos at the end of last season because he was sucking in some of the remaining home games IIRC.

He probably didn't deserve the boos either but they came nonetheless.

milkman
11-17-2007, 07:07 PM
While I'm glad Croyle is starting now I don't understand why people care where a good player comes from.

You think Rams fans don't count their ring, or enjoyed it any less, just because Warner was from the EU league? Doubtful.

I want to see the Chiefs win a super bowl. I don't care what style, what players, or how old they are...

I don't think anyone really cares where the QB comes from.

The reason many of us cry for the Chiefs to develop their own is that, as CD Cox showed in another thread, the best chance of playing for a champioship, and actually competing for that opportunity for a number of years, are with a young guy that the team has developed.

listopencil
11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Wow, what a terrible writer.

Count Zarth
11-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow, what a terrible writer.

Can you believe this schmoe is on the hall of fame selection committee?

KC Tattoo
11-17-2007, 09:02 PM
:hmmm: We could have had Dan Marino, or Jim Kelly, but NOOO we just had to have Bleckledge. So we waist another 20 some years on old reject QBs that other clubs have given up on. I am ready for the growing pains, I am ready for a young QB to start and develop into a quality Chiefs QB. It has been painfull to watch these 30+year old QBs not take us anywhere in the playoffs.

It is going to be fun to watch a young QB grow and get better each week. Our offense has been horible to say the least. I'd rather watch a young QB make mistakes and learn from them than for an 11 year career back up QB making mistakes that he should not be making.

Getting Brodie and D Bowe on the same page is going to be huge. Add Sippio and Gonzo, damn look out!!!

Like I say, if Joe Freeking Montana couldn't get us a Super Bowl how do they expect any other old QB get us one. Most successfull teams that have won SBs built their team through the Draft. Herm is trying this now, I believe it is the best way to do it.

Halfcan
11-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I think Broadies wife should have to show her beaver every time he throws and INT.