PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Davis Not Guaranteed the Starting Job

NaptownChief
06-30-2001, 02:12 PM
Broncos | Battle at Running Back - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
14:53 PT: Patrick Saunders, of the Denver Post, reports for the Sporting News that Denver Broncos RBs Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson will be competing for the running back position through the preseason games. Gary has shown no signs of problems from his surgically repaired knee during minicamps.

If he didn't win the job what the hell would they do with him? That is a very expensive back up...You think they would deal him?

JimNasium
06-30-2001, 05:25 PM
Maybe, but not to us.

Garcia Bronco
06-30-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jl80
Broncos | Battle at Running Back - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
14:53 PT: Patrick Saunders, of the Denver Post, reports for the Sporting News that Denver Broncos RBs Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson will be competing for the running back position through the preseason games. Gary has shown no signs of problems from his surgically repaired knee during minicamps.

If he didn't win the job what the hell would they do with him? That is a very expensive back up...You think they would deal him?

That's why it's a BS story. If he can run and cut and take the hits, then he'll start. It's like last season when we brought in Gus to "compete" for the starting QB job.

NaptownChief
07-01-2001, 08:49 AM
Garcia,

What if Mike Anderson clearly outperforms him? Are you guys going to put a lesser team on the field solely due to who's receiving the biggest paycheck? I sure hope so... :D

Garcia Bronco
07-01-2001, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by jl80
Garcia,

What if Mike Anderson clearly outperforms him? Are you guys going to put a lesser team on the field solely due to who's receiving the biggest paycheck? I sure hope so... :D

I really don't think MA can out perform him.

NaptownChief
07-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Garcia,

I don't think so either but hard to say if he will be the back he was two years ago before all the injuries....

KCJohnny
07-01-2001, 02:26 PM
Davis was running out of Gas even before his injury. I would spot Davis at #3 behind Andersen and Gary.
I wish the donx would have dealt Anderson to KC.

Garcia Bronco
07-01-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by KCJohnny
Davis was running out of Gas even before his injury. I would spot Davis at #3 behind Andersen and Gary.
I wish the donx would have dealt Anderson to KC.

I wouldn't say he had run out of gas, but all will reveal itself soon I suppose.

BIG_DADDY
07-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Yea right, what a bunch of bull. TD will start all year unless he is injured.

KCPHILLY
07-02-2001, 08:54 PM
Yea right, what a bunch of bull. TD will start all year unless he is injured

I Agree 100% BD.

morphius
07-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Actually, if I remember corectly TD was not doing that great before the injury. He was trying to run like the cut block was still legal, and wasn't able to do it and had a hard time playing the run for 2-4 yard gaines up the middle. I'm not saying that TD will not start, but the other guys did a better job of that style of running then TD did last season, IMO.

Doubts that it really changes anything, but I think it was an issue.

Garcia Bronco
07-02-2001, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by morphius
Actually, if I remember corectly TD was not doing that great before the injury. He was trying to run like the cut block was still legal, and wasn't able to do it and had a hard time playing the run for 2-4 yard gaines up the middle. I'm not saying that TD will not start, but the other guys did a better job of that style of running then TD did last season, IMO.

Doubts that it really changes anything, but I think it was an issue.

Right before the injury we had a first year QB. Defenses didn't have to respect his arm or his reading ability. That way the could focus on the run. Plus, the could get after the QB.

morphius
07-02-2001, 10:29 PM
Garcia - I'm just saying that he was less effective w/o the now illegal chop block, and we stopped him without adding any more people to stop the run. He also looked frustrated running for those 3-4 yards, tried to hard to make something happen when it wasn't there, and would not get those hard nosed yards.

I still doubt that he will not earn the starting spot, and either RB below him will have to put on a show to take the spot, but there is a, very slight, possibility it could happen.

Of course as many injuries as he has had since eating that chunky soup, he might want to switch his diet :)

keg in kc
07-02-2001, 10:32 PM
I think Morph was talking about last season, Garcia, not 1999, and, if so, he's right: Davis averaged just over 3.6 yards per carry on 78 carries last season.