PDA

View Full Version : So I got downsized yesterday

MahiMike
11-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Chalk up another one for corporate America. 22 yrs w/same company just makes you expendable.

I know there are other tech guys on here. My take is it's time to get out while you still can. Really looking to business owners on this site.

Thinking of buying existing biz or franchise.

Any suggestions?

KcMizzou
11-17-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm not gonna be able to be any help... but good luck to ya, man. Hang in there.

Spott
11-17-2007, 10:48 AM
What kind of work do you do Mike? I noticed you live in Jacksonville, too.

HolmeZz
11-17-2007, 10:53 AM
You're a Jimmy Dean sausage?

MahiMike
11-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Software developer. Old mainframe guy been doing SAP last 5 yrs. at Convergys. About the only SAP shop in town. Could travel to Orlando or Atlanta but don't really wanna. Own 5 homes in this town. I need to be here to monitor them.

They've been threatening for years to offshore us all. Almost a relief to finally get it over with.

Spott
11-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I knew that Convergys had been laying people off. You own 5 homes in Jacksonville?

BigRedChief
11-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Software developer. Old mainframe guy been doing SAP last 5 yrs. at Convergys. About the only SAP shop in town. Could travel to Orlando or Atlanta but don't really wanna. Own 5 homes in this town. I need to be here to monitor them.

They've been threatening for years to offshore us all. Almost a relief to finally get it over with.Started out in Oracle and VB but saw the writing on the wall and thats why I concentrated on Networking and Security. Business's don't want to offshore that field in I.T. They may outsource it to an American company but you still get benefits and good pay and will be on site.

Bwana
11-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Good luck Mike, I know something will come along soon.

burt
11-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Mike,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. There's been a lot of that going on here too, I have many friends that have taken "early retirement". Sucks. I wish I could help you out....and I do wish you well.

Dale

Buehler445
11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Mike,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't have too much to help you with. I know that Cabela's is going to open a store in the Atlanta area, and will be looking for an MIS technician. I'm sure the timeframe is more than you want to deal with, but it is the only thing I can help you with. PM me if you have any questions.

MahiMike
11-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I knew that Convergys had been laying people off. You own 5 homes in Jacksonville?

Yes, luckily they cash flow. Are you in the IT field?

Spott
11-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, luckily they cash flow. Are you in the IT field?

Not anymore. I used to be a techie, but now I'm an outside tech for BellSouth/AT&T. I was more of a hardware guy working when I worked inside. Are there any jobs at a place like CSX or some of the other bigger companies here for what you do?

FAX
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
You're a Jimmy Dean sausage?

ROFL

FAX

FAX
11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
The Jimmy Dean sausage reference aside, I'm really sorry to hear about this, Mr. MahiMike.

I understand you're in Jacksonville, correct?

FAX

Mojo Rising
11-17-2007, 12:40 PM
SAP used to be a hot skill set. It has been a few years since I was in IT but I don't think things have changed. Have you considered travelling and consulting? SAP Consultant should pull at least $100 per hour.

Dylan
11-17-2007, 01:47 PM

They've been threatening for years to offshore us all. Almost a relief to finally get it over with.

Having SAP experience has to work in your favor. I linked you to some of their competitors. Look to see if they feature Career Opportunities and download your resume directly to H/R. I work for a newspaper and I know that SAP developed new apps for the co's advertising department --or they're still working on it. So, the different types of industries you can work for can be endless. Our company is always looking for developers and IT employees.

I glanced at NYTimes.com and Monster.com (formed an alliance) and there are a ton of jobs posted on a daily basis. I believe you live in Jacksonville? Just redo the job search and be very specific with search words. Try adding SAP for experience.

Also, look at the different niche job boards online. CareerBuilder, Dice --which is a job tech board.

I left a link to Indeed.com. They search ton of jobs from job boards.

I would try SAP's competitors first. They love to hire talent from their competitors. .

Good Luck.

Competitors (http://money.cnn.com/quote/competitors/competitors.html?symb=SAP)

http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search.aspx?fn=&re=100&cy=us&brd=1&jsnonreg=1&pg=1&q=software%20developer&cnme=jacksonville&sid=23&rad=50&rad_units=miles

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/jobsearchengines/a/jobsearchengine.htm

Simply Red
11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
a few ideas. www.pomeroycomputers.com www.compucom.com www.nexicore.com www.servicenet.com

Hopefully these links work okay. Otherwise google the company name to get their URL.

Good luck bud! PM w/ any ?'s.

-SR

damaticous
11-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Check your PM's. I might be able to help you out.

beach tribe
11-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Get a job swimming around in the tank at Bass Pro Shop.

Phobia
11-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Bummer. Best of luck. I left the tech field about 6 years ago. I hated corporate America. My mouth is too big for any kind of career path.

Otter
11-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear Mike. I was laid off from a dream job at Harley Davidson a couple years ago and it's a kick in the pants but life goes on and things get better.

At the risk of turning this into a political topic do some research on "H-1B Work Visa" and vote for the candidates who oppose. There aren't many because it helps get the highest tier rich but there are a few.

You'll be fine.

StcChief
11-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Mike
this is becoming so common, but runs under the new radar....... it's really about illegal workers (our backbone) :) BS.

I know too many folks in this BS.

Absolutely at every turn will do everything I can to stop jobs being shipped to India... F those DnFs.

If you got your skills in order hopefully you can recover and move on.

One door closes another opens.

Go luck.

CaliforniaAlbanach
11-17-2007, 05:10 PM
sorry to hear that mate. I was all happy cause I finally got a job yesterday!

Simply Red
11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey Mike,

If you decide you are willing to relocate to Atlanta; I actually could be a lot of help. This company has found exceptional success.

You'd need to shave and all though ;)
www.prosysis.com

MahiMike
11-17-2007, 06:19 PM
SAP used to be a hot skill set. It has been a few years since I was in IT but I don't think things have changed. Have you considered travelling and consulting? SAP Consultant should pull at least $100 per hour.

Yes I can go to Hotlanta and commute but not my 1st choice. Also my son's flag football coach. I'd really miss him. I wanna pursue a small business. I'm a real estate investor on the side, but it's slow right now.

If there are any small business ideas out there, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

NUMBER7
11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Mike...sorry to hear...these are crazy times. Hang in there.

MahiMike
11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Having SAP experience has to work in your favor. I linked you to some of their competitors. Look to see if they feature Career Opportunities and download your resume directly to H/R. I work for a newspaper and I know that SAP developed new apps for the co's advertising department --or they're still working on it. So, the different types of industries you can work for can be endless. Our company is always looking for developers and IT employees.

I glanced at NYTimes.com and Monster.com (formed an alliance) and there is quite a few jobs. I believe you live in Jacksonville? Just redo the job search and be very specific with search words. Try adding SAP for experience.

Also, look at the different niche job boards online. CareerBuilder, Dice --which I believe is just for Tech jobs.

I left a link to Indeed.com. They're suppose to seach all career sites listed online.

I would try SAP's competitors first. They love hiring their competitors talent.

Good Luck.

Competitors (http://money.cnn.com/quote/competitors/competitors.html?symb=SAP)

http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search.aspx?fn=&re=100&cy=us&brd=1&jsnonreg=1&pg=1&q=software%20developer&cnme=jacksonville&sid=23&rad=50&rad_units=miles

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/jobsearchengines/a/jobsearchengine.htm

Cool. Thanks a bunch!

MahiMike
11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Get a job swimming around in the tank at Bass Pro Shop.

Now THAT's funny! But it won't work. I need salt water..

Dylan
11-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Cool. Thanks a bunch!

I did one simple search at NYTimes.com and came up with a slightly different list than Monster's job seekers.

However, if you're thinking about posting your resume to Monster.com upload it through NYTimes.com and it will appear in both sites. It will not work the other way around.

NYTimes.com (http://nytimes.monster.com/Search.aspx?cy=us&q=software%20developer&qb=andor&disableselection=all&tm=30d&sort=rv&fromsearch.x=47&fromsearch.y=9&pg=1&lid=380&re=95)

burt
11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Now THAT's funny! But it won't work. I need salt water..

Mike, in HS, you were just a minnow!

Skip Towne
11-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I know a guy who is a real estate investor. He determines which direction the town is growing then builds a car wash just outside of town. He operates the car wash until the town grows up around him. And the car wash pays for the land. Then he tears down the car wash and sells the land.

Mr. Laz
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I know a guy who is a real estate investor. He determines which direction the town is growing then builds a car wash just outside of town. He operates the car wash until the town grows up around him. And the car wash pays for the land. Then he tears down the car wash and sells the land.
money to make money

kcfan82
11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
There is one massive tech company in KC that is still growing, I think most techs know who it is *cough* Cerner *cough*

EyePod
11-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I have trouble with people just buying franchises. My father went into business with someone else and bought a Dunkin Donuts. That went well, so they ended up buying 4 more. Then Dunkin corporate forced us to open a store in a local mall where we didn't want to, but had to because they can make you do things like that. The store bombed, taking any money that needed to be put into the stores which were doing well. My father and the business partner should have stopped taking pay from the stores, but both had retired from their other jobs. Long story short, my father had to go back to work, and he is no longer even on speaking terms with his business partner, and they're trying to sell the shops, but this process is long and arduous. Also, if you open up one of these businesses, you have to be prepared for a fulltime job, because that's the kind of attention that you need to have to make them do well.

Skip Towne
11-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I'd stay as far away from a partner as possible. It usually doesn't work.

Fairplay
11-18-2007, 11:04 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGQeEGi16nc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGQeEGi16nc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

BigRedChief
11-18-2007, 02:35 PM
There is one massive tech company in KC that is still growing, I think most techs know who it is *cough* Cerner *cough*
Not for long. Most of those jobs are programming jobs and eventually those jobs will be overseas also.