PDA

View Full Version : Chip and Dip synergy

alnorth
11-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Regarding the very important world of potato chips and those substances in which they are dipped in before consumption, do you have any concerns with matching the appropriate chips with the correct type of dip? As we speak, I have realised that I bought French Onion chips, and some kind of spicy cheese dip, and I wonder if I have made an unholy error.

Count Alex's Losses
11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Cheese dip only goes with tortilla chips.

alnorth
11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Cheese dip only goes with tortilla chips.

Oops. You are almost correct, sir. Tortilla chips can traditionally go with salsa or cheese, but not usually anything else.

JBucc
11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I like cheese dip on regular potato chips. And on hot dogs.

cdcox
11-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Oops. You are almost correct, sir. Tortilla chips can traditionally go with salsa or cheese, but not usually anything else.

Guacamole

Bean Dip

7-layer dip

cdcox
11-17-2007, 02:02 PM
As far as potato chips go, you should use plain chips with dip. Flavored chips are for when you don't have dip.

FAX
11-17-2007, 02:06 PM

What about bean dip? Tortilla chips go well with bean dip. But frankly, that whole thing is a travesty. They make cheese flavored chips and salsa flavored chips, but no bean flavored chips. I have to believe that the bean dip people have a hand in this.

The same thing goes with soda pop flavored chips. If you had soda pop flavored chips, you wouldn't need soda pop. The American people are getting screwed on that one.

FAX

alnorth
11-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I hate Guacamole and dont care for bean dip, so I subconciously overlooked them both.

OK, we are agreed: tortilla chips are a special form of regular chips that only dont go with french onion.

Count Alex's Losses
11-17-2007, 02:10 PM
What about bean dip?

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3736/fritosbc2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Bump
11-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Tortilla chips go fine with spinach or crab dip as well.

FAX
11-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah. I forgot about spinach dip. You can throw in artichoke dip, too. It goes well with tortilla chips, although I think that's also made with spinach. I wonder why artichoke gets top billing in that dip? It's like artichoke is some kind of prima donna.

Screw you, artichoke. If you want all the pub, try going solo and earn it like spinach does.

FAX

RJ
11-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah. I forgot about spinach dip. You can throw in artichoke dip, too. It goes well with tortilla chips, although I think that's also made with spinach. I wonder why artichoke gets top billing in that dip? It's like artichoke is some kind of prima donna.

Screw you, artichoke. If you want all the pub, try going solo and earn it like spinach does.

FAX

Actually, the spinach is also an attention whore. While it demands top billing it wouldn't even have a job without mayonnaise and sour cream.

(10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (4 ounce) package Knorr vegetable soup mix
1 (5 ounce) package sargento grated parmesan cheese
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 quarter red bell pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 large round loaf pumpernickel bread or similar bread
2 tablespoons butter or margarine spread

stlchiefs
11-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I've never heard of anyone following Option A. Dipping Cheese chips in cheese dip and french onion chips in french onion dip? Sounds gross.

Personally I go for Tortilla chips in queso and Frito's in onion dip. If you have Tortilla chips around you're covered 9 out of 10 times.

RJ
11-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Celery works with any cheese or cream based dip.

FritosŪ are the benchmark for chips with bean dip.

Basic potato chips have no business near salsa. Same goes for guacamole. That is tortilla territory, period.

I do not dip flavored chips of any kind. Tortillas are meant for dipping, DoritosŪ are not. Plain chips are at home with dip, barbecue chips are not.

I'm a somewhat liberal guy, but I have my limits.

Phobia
11-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm convinced Alnorth has no clue what he's talking about. I don't know what took me so long to realize this. But this thread is all the evidence one requires.

StcChief
11-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Variety is the spice of life.

Psyko Tek
11-17-2007, 05:50 PM
tortilla chips work with everything
and are better than cracker in chilli

Baby Lee
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
tortilla chips work with everything
and are better than "The Man" in chilli
ROFL ROFL - Pinochet?

listopencil
11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I like flavored chips with dip. They still taste good when the dip is gone. I have never purposely purchased a plain bag of chips, in fact.

alnorth
11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
My worst fears were realised tonight. (Well, maybe not the worst, KU did win). French Onion chips and cheese dip do not go very well together... at all. Next time I will exercise more caution in the selection of the appropriate dipping substance to go with the chips that are available at home.