PDA

View Full Version : You know when you think about it Laverne and Shirley really had miserable lives

ChiefaRoo
11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
1) They lived together in a rundown underground apt. in Milwaukee
2) They made crappy money at a brewery working on the line all day
3) They had two perverted upstairs neighbors who would walk right in anytime they felt like it
4) Shirley's boyfriend was a little greaser who danced for a living (hmmm, probably gay)
5) They spoke openly about not doing and and in Shirley's case how she didn't believe in doing it before marriage - yet she dated said greaser for years.... queer.
6) Bowling was their only source of recreation
7) They always talked about not having any money

All I'm saying is they were poor, sexually repressed, lower class women living in the upper midwest. Jeez, who wants to hear about that crap? I also suspect that Shirley's "boo boo kitty" vibrated, if you know what I mean.

Virtua Chief
11-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I think it kind of jacked how Penny Marshall became a big director and the other chick faded away. Same thing with Tom Hanks and Bosom Buddies and the other guy.

Count Zarth
11-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Cindy Williams almost played Princess Leia.

Virtua Chief
11-17-2007, 03:53 PM
That would have sucked. Al Pacino turned down the Han Solo role.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
11-17-2007, 03:56 PM
who the **** cares about any of this?

ChiefaRoo
11-17-2007, 04:00 PM
who the **** cares about any of this?

shut your canadian hole, eh.

blueballs
11-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Is this a thread about beards

KcMizzou
11-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Is this a thread about beards.

Skip Towne
11-17-2007, 04:05 PM
shut your canadian hole, eh.
Shut up, Squiggy.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-17-2007, 04:10 PM
They were lesbians.

blueballs
11-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Carmine was the living dildo

StcChief
11-17-2007, 04:30 PM
who cares about L sweaters and

spin off from Happy days that never worked.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Cindy Williams almost played Princess Leia.

So you're saying that she was indeed a lesbian?

And Shirley's relationship with Carmine was definitely one of convenience. He was gay and she was non-sexual.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I think it kind of jacked how Penny Marshall became a big director and the other chick faded away. Same thing with Tom Hanks and Bosom Buddies and the other guy.

Peter Scolari did NOT fade away. He's just more selective than Tom about the roles he selects.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I recognize that we write what we know, but I always find it funny that TV shows often have to write in a character who is an entertainer or a writer or some other type of performer. On Laverne and Shirley, someone at some point said, "And in this comedy about two female beer plant workers in Milwaukee, let's add...a dancer! That's it, a dancer. In Milwaukee." And everyone else around the table said, "Y'know, that's a great idea."

Jilly
11-17-2007, 05:13 PM

Balci? wait, is that the wrong show?

listopencil
11-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Balci? wait, is that the wrong show?

That's "Perfect Strangers".

Spott
11-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Penny Marshall was the "hot" chick on that show, but she has pretty much looked like a dude ever since.

Jilly
11-17-2007, 05:18 PM
That's "Perfect Strangers".

That's right! Whatever happened to Balci...that guy was hilarious...crazy sheep herder from....well....some country where there are sheep.

Count Zarth
11-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Penny Marshall was the "hot" chick on that show, but she has pretty much looked like a dude ever since.

Cindy Williams was better looking. Still is.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I always wondered how the Scooby Doo people could afford to do nothing but drive around in that van and solve mysteries. Did the benefactors of their mystery-solving pay them? It always seemed to me that they stumbled upon mysteries rather than being hired to solve them.

And did they all sleep in the van, or did they get hotel rooms at night, or at least on the nights that they weren't sleeping in haunted houses? They didn't seem poorly groomed enough to be the type of people who sleep in their car, so I'm guessing that they somehow had hotel money.

My guesses:

1. Freddy had a trust fund, and just brought the others along as his posse.

2. They were all bums, but Shaggy sold enough drugs to keep them comfortable.

3. Velma could've somehow been doing tech work or something, but back when the series started, there was no Internet or anything, so I don't think this would be the case.

4. I guess it's possible that Daphne was whoring herself out to support the group, but that's a pretty atypical model. Generally, whenever you have a group of people that includes one gorgeous woman, that woman is a free rider as opposed to being the breadwinner for the group.

My money is on Freddy and a trust fund.

Spott
11-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Cindy Williams was better looking. Still is.

Yeah, she was. But Laverne was the one that was played up as the hot chick. Cindy Williams was kind of like Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 05:24 PM

You thought Laverne was better-looking than Shirley? Really?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_20629~Laverne-Shirley-Posters.jpg

Are you sure you don't want to change your vote?

Count Zarth
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, she was. But Laverne was the one that was played up as the hot chick. Cindy Williams was kind of like Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.

I always like the quiet types anyway.

Jilly
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I always wondered how the Scooby Doo people could afford to do nothing but drive around in that van and solve mysteries. Did the benefactors of their mystery-solving pay them? It always seemed to me that they stumbled upon mysteries rather than being hired to solve them.

And did they all sleep in the van, or did they get hotel rooms at night, or at least on the nights that they weren't sleeping in haunted houses? They didn't seem poorly groomed enough to be the type of people who sleep in their car, so I'm guessing that they somehow had hotel money.

My guesses:

3. Velma could've somehow been doing tech work or something, but back when the series started, there was no Internet or anything, so I don't think this would be the case.

4. I guess it's possible that Daphne was whoring herself out to support the group, but that's a pretty atypical model. Generally, whenever you have a group of people that includes one gorgeous woman, that woman is a free rider as opposed to being the breadwinner for the group.

it's easy Rainman...they whored out Scooby... he may not have been pedigreed, but he could talk.

Count Zarth
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM

My guesses:

I just want to know how Rebecca Cunningham kept Higher for Hire going with ONE PLANE. Couldn't have been all that profitable, considering fueling costs. Maybe air freight was expensive due to rampant piracy.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5669/250pxtalespinnk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Spott
11-17-2007, 05:28 PM

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_20629~Laverne-Shirley-Posters.jpg

No, I didn't think she was hotter. But they played her up that way on the show.

Virtua Chief
11-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Peter Scolari did NOT fade away. He's just more selective than Tom about the roles he selects.

He's a great actor, but aside from collaborations with Hanks, he has Newhart, Camp Nowhere, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids: The Series as his career highlights. Love the guy though.

Baby Lee
11-17-2007, 05:42 PM
That's right! Whatever happened to Balci...that guy was hilarious...crazy sheep herder from....well....some country where there are sheep.
Meebos.

KcMizzou
11-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Are you sure you don't want to change your vote?I don't even know which is which.

Baby Lee
11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Well, Penny did havy Garry in her corner, being her brother and all.

KCinNY
11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't even know which is which.

I wouldn't either except they always had Laverne with a massive L on her shirt--presumably so the audience would always know which was which.

Along the same lines, I never knew which one was Cagney or Lacey or which one was Kate or Allie.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm probably one of about three people on earth who remembers this show, but sometime during my young days there was a show called "We Got It Made". I had to look up the title because I don't remember anything about the show other than the name of the female star, who had the most stunning figure of any woman on earth. It was this nonstop, start to finish jigglefest, and it looked like she had had implants and liposuction before implants and liposuction were invented. Her name was Teri Copley, and while she doesn't look as stunning in modern light since there are so many technology-made vixens around, back then she was a marvel to behold. I watched the show during its short run, but never heard any of the plot because all the blood had left my ears and brain for other places.

Information about "We Got It Made" for the interested reader:

http://www.jumptheshark.com/topic/got-general-comments/2143

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Got_it_Made

Here's a cast picture that doesn't do justice to Teri because it's not taken from the side.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/images/misc/wegotitmademessageboard.jpg

It's now very hard to find a picture of her where she's not naked, but here's a head shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/PrincessWhat/CAC/tericopley1.jpg

Baby Lee
11-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, Penny did havy Garry in her corner, being her brother and all.
Oh, and Cindy did stay on the scene, just not a major director. I think she did some producing. She's appeared in episodes of hit dramas. Also she was raising Kate Hudson along with her own kids with Kate's father/Goldie's ex.

crazycoffey
11-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Isn't this like comparing Oranges to Tangerines?

blueballs
11-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Laverne could open beer bottles with her teeth
what a woman

Bob Dole
11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Carmine was a boxer as well as owning a dance studio.

Rain Man
11-17-2007, 11:48 PM

It's amazing how often those two occupations go together.

listopencil
11-18-2007, 12:20 AM

I know I'd go from rages to riches
If you would only say you care
And though my pocket may be empty
I'd be a millionaire

My clothes may still be torn and tattered
But in my heart I'd be a king
Your love is all that ever mattered
It's everything

So open your arms and you'll open the door
To every treasure I'm hoping for
Hold me and kiss me and tell me you're mine evermore

Must I forever be a begger
Whose golden dreams will not come true
Or will I go from rags to riches
My fate is up to you

Must I forever be a begger
Whose golden dreams will not come true
Or will I go from rags to riches
My fate is up to you

ChiefaRoo
11-19-2007, 07:00 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZmimJGmrUQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZmimJGmrUQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

WTF are they smiling about? Laverne's old man was getting more action than either of them.

Hydrae
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I really do think this show was about how even when someone has a bunch of crap in their life, they can still be happy and maybe even reasonably well adjusted. There is more to happiness in life than sex and money.

ChiefaRoo
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I really do think this show was about how even when someone has a bunch of crap in their life, they can still be happy and maybe even reasonably well adjusted. There is more to happiness in life than sex and money.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that living near Lenny and Squiggy would be a dream for any young girl.

PS -Being poor and sexless sucks ass.

Hydrae
11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I think we can all agree that living near Lenny and Squiggy would be a dream for any young girl.

PS -Being poor and sexless sucks ass.

But it is not the end of life either.

ChiefaRoo
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
But it is not the end of life either.

Is there something you'd like to share with the board Hydrae? Perhaps a good cry on our collective shoulders? :P LMAO

Hydrae
11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Is there something you'd like to share with the board Hydrae? Perhaps a good cry on our collective shoulders? :P LMAO

Just not understanding why on earth you started a thread to bag on a show that has been off the air for what, 20+ years? Then ripping on them for enjoying the life they have even though it is obviously well below your personal standards. :shrug:

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
While we're on the subject, no one is going to deny that Peppermint Patty was a lesbian, right? After all, Marcy did constantly refer to her as "sir". And don't get me started on Ernie & Bert. I mean come on, they bathed together.

ChiefaRoo
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
While we're on the subject, no one is going to deny that Peppermint Patty was a lesbian, right? After all, Marcy did constantly refer to her as "sir". And don't get me started on Ernie & Bert. I mean come on, they bathed together.

yep.

ChiefaRoo
11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Just not understanding why on earth you started a thread to bag on a show that has been off the air for what, 20+ years? Then ripping on them for enjoying the life they have even though it is obviously well below your personal standards. :shrug:

Are you Carmine or just a humorless drone.