PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Game in the History of Arrowhead Stadium? MU vs KU?

KChiefs1
11-17-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm thinking it is.....:hmmm:

siberian khatru
11-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I think it is, too, which is quite a statement about the state of the Chiefs organization.

the Talking Can
11-17-2007, 06:21 PM
other than Steve Bono's first game...yes

siberian khatru
11-17-2007, 06:22 PM
other than Steve Bono's first game...yes

I think there were a lot of fights in the parking lot of that game, too.

Ari Chi3fs
11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
The Chiefs vs Colts was HUGE, but since KC lost... its not so huge now.

Spott
11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
I can honestly say that for the last couple of years I have been looking forward to Saturdays more that Sundays. There's been some big college games there, like when KSU beat OU a few years back. But this certainly seems like the biggest game ever at Arrowhead.

ChiefsCountry
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Its the biggest sporting event in the history of Kansas City actually. I was in Overland Park yesterday so me and my friend just stopped in to see what tickets where going for as of yesterday between $600-800 a piece. Suppose to jump up to a $1000 a piece next week.

The only game at Arrowhead that has came close was the Joe Montana vs. 49ers game.

siberian khatru
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I can honestly say that for the last couple of years I have been looking forward to Satruday's more that Sundays. There's been some big college games there, like when KSU beat OU a few years back. But this certainly seems like the biggest game ever at Arrowhead.

Same here. I've been feeling that same nervousness with MU Saturdays that I used to feel with Chiefs Sundays. I'm sure it's been the same with KU fans.

If MU and KU can maintain this level of success (or thereabouts), that would spell very bad news for Carl Peterson, methinks.

Frazod
11-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Has either Missouri or Kansas ever played a game at Arrowhead before?

Spott
11-17-2007, 06:38 PM
It's going to be weird seeing a stadium full of mostly Chiefs fans all rooting against each other.

DeezNutz
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Its the biggest sporting event in the history of Kansas City actually. I was in Overland Park yesterday so me and my friend just stopped in to see what tickets where going for as of yesterday between $600-800 a piece. Suppose to jump up to a $1000 a piece next week.

The only game at Arrowhead that has came close was the Joe Montana vs. 49ers game.

Not even close to the biggest game in KC history. For starters, try Game 7 in '85.

Messier
11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
A divisional playoff game is bigger than any college football game, except the national championship.

CoMoChief
11-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I wanna say that MU played there a couple seasons ago. Brad Smith's last season as a Tiger IIRC.

CoMoChief
11-17-2007, 06:48 PM
It's going to be weird seeing a stadium full of mostly Chiefs fans all rooting against each other.
It's gonna be a civil war just like it used to be.

ChiefsCountry
11-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Not even close to the biggest game in KC history. For starters, try Game 7 in '85.

For ticket wise it is, at least according to the ticket people.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2007, 06:51 PM
A divisional playoff game is bigger than any college football game, except the national championship.
Good try...

When have the Chiefs gotten this kind of coverage and hype over any game...

Never!

MU/KU game is 3 times more exciting than any Chiefs game in recent history.

Messier
11-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Good try...

When have the Chiefs gotten this kind of coverage and hype over any game...

Never!

MU/KU game is 3 times more exciting than any Chiefs game in recent history.

An nfl playoff game gets more hype and more pub than any regular season college game, nice try though.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2007, 06:56 PM
An nfl playoff game gets more hype and more pub than any regular season college game, nice try though.

This game is the biggest game in Arrowhead history.. Will have just as much or more local/national coverage than any of the Chiefs last 3 or 4 playoff failures...

Say what you want, but this game has more on the line for the respective states than the Chiefs could ever imagine.

I would venture to say there are more KU/MU fans than there are Chiefs fans.

Messier
11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
This game is the biggest game in Arrowhead history.. Will have just as much or more local/national coverage than any of the Chiefs last 3 or 4 playoff failures...

Say what you want, but this game has more on the line for the respective states than the Chiefs could ever imagine.

I would venture to say there are more KU/MU fans than there are Chiefs fans.

Well, sure there are, because of alumni and such. If you're arguing this game is bigger to the general KS, Mo area, then yes its one of the bigger games at the stadium, but as far as national importance, no. It's not the biggest game at arrowhead.

I see how in trying to make the game seem big you are also takinga shot at the Chiefs, but the Chiefs have hosted second round playoff games three times in the last twelve years, those are bigger games.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-17-2007, 07:06 PM

Can't say about mizery; KU played OU in Arrowhead a couple years ago.

ChiefsCountry
11-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Yep in 2005. MU played Arkansas State and KU played OU. Actually all of the old Big 8 has played at Arrowhead Stadium.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
but the Chiefs have hosted second round playoff games three times in the last twelve years, those are bigger games.

thanks for the painful memories...

Why don't you just rip our hearts out and shove it right back in our faces....

Don't you have any compassion for crying out loud?

Spott
11-17-2007, 07:10 PM
It will be better than any Chiefs playoff game because only half the folks will go home feeling dejected as opposed to all of them.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
It will be better than any Chiefs playoff game because only half the folks will go home feeling dejected as opposed to all of them.
Still going to be weird, talk about a house divided...

80K Chief fans split down the middle...

Skip Towne
11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Or the OU-KU matchup for the NC of BB at Kemper in'88.

blueballs
11-17-2007, 07:32 PM
When the hell does it start

DeezNutz
11-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Or the OU-KU matchup for the NC of BB at Kemper in'88.

That would be the other one, unless we go back to some classic NFL playoff games.

Point taken, however, that regarding ticket prices, this will be the biggest game, and it probably is the coolest event to grace Arrowhead, unfortunately for all of us.

Ari Chi3fs
11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
The biggest event other than this game, was Guns N Roses and Metallica in 1991.

Spott
11-17-2007, 07:41 PM
The biggest event other than this game, was Guns N Roses and Metallica in 1991.

The Cult/Metallica concert in the summer of 89 was my favorite.

:)

KCChiefsFan88
11-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Chiefs-Denver January 4, 1998

Nzoner
11-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Still going to be weird, talk about a house divided...

80K Chief fans split down the middle...

I remember reading an article from an east coast writer who was mentioning this.He was saying that it's really a sight to see that in this border war fans beat the hell out of each other on Saturdays and then share a brew on Sundays while cheering on the Chiefs.

I thought of it with it also being raider week,next weekend ought to have some hellacious stories.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2007, 10:40 PM
I remember reading an article from an east coast writer who was mentioning this.He was saying that it's really a sight to see that in this border war fans beat the hell out of each other on Saturdays and then share a brew on Sundays while cheering on the Chiefs.

I thought of it with it also being raider week,next weekend ought to have some hellacious stories.

To me, this means more to the midwest than the last 3 divisional failures of the Chiefs...

Lets hope the Ghost of Marty doesnt show up and ruin it for one of the teams... I think everyone would rather see that this isnt a real football game and be in comparison to the 03 Divisional game.

KChiefs1
11-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I think LSU losing has definitely upped the anty on this wild & crazy game!!

This game is for #1

Guru
11-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Chiefs-Denver January 4, 1998
He was pushed out. :)

Manila-Chief
11-23-2007, 08:36 PM
What? This is just a college game.

CupidStunt
11-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know.

One thing I do know is that the hype of the moment greatly influences one's ability to judge that, especially MU and KU fans.

barry_smilez20
11-23-2007, 08:40 PM
it has to be the chiefs arent a real team

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
It's #2 vs. #4 in a traditional Border/Rivalry game. The only way it would be bigger is if it were a Nat'l Ch.

Other than that, it would have to be an AFC Title game, or some odd event like the finals of the World Cup (which were in LA, IIRC).

Since Arrowhead has hosted none of those, then yup.

Messier
11-23-2007, 09:19 PM
it has to be the chiefs arent a real team

Lions=bye week

Bearcat
11-23-2007, 09:21 PM

You get a week to hype an NFL playoff game (unless it's the "pending matchup between the Colts and Patriots").... the hype surrounding this game has been going on for a month, and the local hype for a month and a half. It's the same with OSU/Michigan last year... we had a month to talk about it before it actually happened.

You don't have time to get sick of the hype surrounding an NFL playoff game (unless, again, it's part of the "pending matchup between the Colts & Patriots"). I've been sick of the KU/MU hype for a couple of weeks, at least. It's been on Sportscenter almost everyday for the past month, gets a segment of every halftime of every college football game this week, is on College Gameday, gets mentioned during every BCS discussion...

Chiefs/Colts last year? Colts are going to win, end of discussion.

Mojo Rising
11-24-2007, 12:07 AM

From a National perspective I think the Montana game was the biggest. Montana was an icon and the country was behind his comeback vs. his old team.

Arrowhead has also hosted several 2nd round playoff games where the Chiefs were the best team going into post season. Those were all bigger because the Chiefs were the likliest to win the championship of the teams still playing.

Most importantly, the biggest event in the US.

The winner of tomorrows game will likely be an underdog in the Conference Championship game and will be a surprise to appear in the National Championship game.

There is also no notable history in this rivalry (aka, 1 team knocking off the other to eliminate their Natl Champ possibility) like a OSU Mich, USC UCLA, etc. This is because both teams have been so bad.

Before cable. I don't even think this game was broadcast in KC every year.

plbrdude
11-24-2007, 06:40 AM
it will be till the chiefs host and win an afc title game and win sending them to the super bowl. i'm not gonna hold my breath though

Lzen
11-24-2007, 07:53 AM
He was pushed out. :)

And don't forget that BS holding call against Munusky(?).