PDA

View Full Version : Would opening up the offense have resulted in a win?

Count Zarth
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
The Chiefs were obviously protecting Brodie Croyle today with the playcalling. Would letting him throw more, especially on first down, have resulted in a win over the Colts?

Redcoats58
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2007, 02:00 PM
YES.

Jesus.

When you have 1:15 left and three timeouts, against an angry Peyton Manning, YOU OPEN UP THE OFFENSE and try to take a lead at the half.

Croyle showed he's 100x better than Huard. Now if only the plays weren't called by absolute f*cktards.

Bob Dole
11-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Not giving up on 3rd and 18 with a ****ing draw play and handing the ball back to Manning owuld have gone a long way toward winning.

But in Herm's defense...Manning NEVER drives down for that win or anything.

You have to wonder if Herm ever watches a football game he's not coaching.

Count Zarth
When you have 1:15 left and three timeouts, against an angry Peyton Manning, YOU OPEN UP THE OFFENSE and try to take a lead at the half.

Even when your quarterback just fumbled due to shitty pass protection?

BigMeatballDave
Who knows? WE DIDNT ****ING TRY!

dj56dt58
Croyle single handedly put us in positions to win(along with the D of course), and Edwards/Solari single handedly handed the game to Indy

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes. Obviously, doing it the way they did resulted in a loss.

IF YOU DON'T TRY, YOU DON'T WIN.

FringeNC
11-18-2007, 02:04 PM
It may have resulted in a win or a loss. I prefer playing to win instead of playing not to lose. Herm is a ****ing disgrace as a head coach. How can anyone support this chickenshit football? It never results in championships!

Reaper16
Yes. The draw plays never worked from the start, but Solari kept calling them.

the Talking Can
duh

in the 4th quarter you have to at least try to win...Croyle was playing great and Herm said, "No, I'd rather lose than throw a pass."

Herm is dead to me.

blueballs
11-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Try NOT running it on first down
stupid ass Solari sucks the penis

the Talking Can
11-18-2007, 02:06 PM
you can't win without taking a risk...

this Franchise, and Herm, are more afraid of risk than losing...

cdcox
11-18-2007, 02:07 PM

On at least half the passing plays he had time to tie his shoes. More downfield passing on first and second down would have had a high chance of being successful.

Bob Dole
11-18-2007, 02:07 PM

There were quite a few more pass plays when he was NOT sacked than there were when he was.

Smed1065
11-18-2007, 02:10 PM
The announcers did not know a first down but even they stated maybe we should try something else on first down.

Coach
11-18-2007, 02:18 PM
The announcers did not know a first down but even they stated maybe we should try something else on first down.

Yep. They said something along the lines that the Chiefs need to do something different on first downs, since they are running on first downs, and the Colts are sniffing it out a little bit."

Ugly Duck
11-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Would opening up the offense have resulted in a win?

So the Chiefs had another fluke today, eh Goatcheese? Not to worry... Oakland had a fluke today as well. We still have 2 more flukes than you do....

KC Tattoo
11-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Pass on first downs!!!JHC

donkhater
11-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, let's see. The crappy play-calling we're seeing NOW isn't getting it done, so why not?

You don't have to go all run and shoot on their a$$, but for crissakes put a little bit of unpredictability in your play calling.

Conservative ----fine, I get it. Especially with the personell you have.

Conservative AND predictable?----LOSS Every time.

Count Zarth
11-18-2007, 02:24 PM
So the Chiefs had another fluke today, eh Goatcheese? .

This was no fluke. We're that damn good.

We'll kill you next week if we play that well.

donkhater
11-18-2007, 02:25 PM
All I know is that defensive coordinators get a lot of sleep the week they play the Chiefs cause they have about 15 minutes of plays to dissect.

Sleep well, Rex Ryan.

jjjayb
11-18-2007, 02:26 PM
How is being so frigging predictable in your play calling "protecting your quarterback"? If anything you are setting him up to get killed. Don't worry about defending the pass on 1st and 2nd down because they will be runs up the middle and draws. 3rd and long? Draw play. Third down and less than 10? Get after the QB. Kill him. It's a pass.

I have NEVER seen playcallling so obvious and predictable in all the years I've been watching football. It's no wonder we can't frigging score. Defensed know EXACTLY what plays we are going to run before we run them.

KCJohnny
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
On at least half the passing plays he had time to tie his shoes. More downfield passing on first and second down would have had a high chance of being successful.

Agree.
For most of the day the pass protect was very, very good.

Coach
11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
This was no fluke. We're that damn good.

We'll kill you next week if we play that well.

Gee, I didn't know having a 4-6 record is "damn good."

Get bent.

KCFalcon59
11-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Playing conservative was fine until the game was on the line. 2 late possessions and we run the ball instead of a play action or quick slant. Did we even run a slant play today. I don't think so. Hell we ran a slant like 15 times a game when Huard was in there. Anything but a run on first down on the last 2 possessions would have been better calls.

Count Zarth
11-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Gee, I didn't know having a 4-6 record is "damn good."

Get bent.

Go ahead and work out your frustrations. Why people hate me for loving this team, that still has a chance to win the division, is beyond me. It's mean-spirited.

Anyong Bluth
11-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I get trying to protect Brodie to a degree, but seriously, on 3rd and 18 you've got a WR and TE that can play jump ball. You know INDY is going to umbrella to prevent getting the 1st down! YOU HAVE TO LET A BRODIE MAKE A PLAY THERE!

CROYLE HAD A 101.56% & 99.15 rating, and that's with them limiting him...

I"m not saying the kids gonna walk in and be gang busters but hell, we can clearly ACTUALLY help our running game by passing it downfield now and loosening things up!

ClevelandBronco
11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Go ahead and work out your frustrations. Why people hate me for loving this team, that still has a chance to win the division, is beyond me. It's mean-spirited.

Remarkably, I'm with GOATSE on this one. Brodie was protected with the playcalling. Open it up and you risk damaging the QBOTF's confidence with a few first-game mistakes. You guys ought to be pretty proud of this game. I think once you calm down you'll see that you're getting close to being on the right track.

Coach
11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Remarkably, I'm with GOATSE on this one. Brodie was protected with the playcalling. Open it up and you risk damaging the QBOTF's confidence with a few first-game mistakes. You guys ought to be pretty proud of this game. I think once you calm down you'll see that you're getting close to being on the right track.

I disagree. I think the only way you're gonna know if your QB is gonna be decent is to at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think his confidence is the problem at all. I believe he was already confident even before this game started. It's just to me, piss-poor coaching management and playcalling is the problem.

NUMBER7
11-18-2007, 02:49 PM
No we do not have the deep threats for that type of offense.

the Talking Can
11-18-2007, 02:53 PM
The Chiefs were obviously protecting Brodie Croyle today with the playcalling. Would letting him throw more, especially on first down, have resulted in a win over the Colts?

we'll never know because our coaches would never take that risk....

Bearcat
11-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Playing conservative was fine until the game was on the line. 2 late possessions and we run the ball instead of a play action or quick slant. Did we even run a slant play today. I don't think so. Hell we ran a slant like 15 times a game when Huard was in there. Anything but a run on first down on the last 2 possessions would have been better calls.

Exactly my thought.

I'll take the first three quarters... even with all the stupid screens and whatever. If you want to say it kept us in the game, fine, I can deal with that.

But, the two drives in the 4th quarter... especially the one at 14:53. You drive, score a TD, force the Colts to punt... and then you hand off on first down (again), setting up a screen to Bowe (again), and it's 3rd and 12.

WHAT THE HELL? You just drove down the field.

So, you force them to punt again. Hand off (again), pass on 2nd down (again, but 7 yards). First down, hand off... 2nd down, why would Croyle get sacked? How the hell did the Colts know we were going to pass on 2nd and 15? 3rd & 18.

Game over.

Bearcat
11-18-2007, 02:57 PM
I disagree. I think the only way you're gonna know if your QB is gonna be decent is to at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think his confidence is the problem at all. I believe he was already confident even before this game started. It's just to me, piss-poor coaching management and playcalling is the problem.
I agree... granted, i don't know him personally, I just don't see him as a fragile-minded quarterback. He was slinging it around in the preseason, and I think he's fine with doing it now. Yeah, you can't completely air it out and let him throw 15 INTs the rest of the season....

But if he's in the game because he gives you the best chance to win, give him a chance to do that.

bobbything
11-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Exactly my thought.

I'll take the first three quarters... even with all the stupid screens and whatever. If you want to say it kept us in the game, fine, I can deal with that.

But, the two drives in the 4th quarter... especially the one at 14:53. You drive, score a TD, force the Colts to punt... and then you hand off on first down (again), setting up a screen to Bowe (again), and it's 3rd and 12.

WHAT THE HELL? You just drove down the field.

So, you force them to punt again. Hand off (again), pass on 2nd down (again, but 7 yards). First down, hand off... 2nd down, why would Croyle get sacked? How the hell did the Colts know we were going to pass on 2nd and 15? 3rd & 18.

Game over.
Quoted for absolute truth.

KCJohnny
11-18-2007, 03:55 PM
His stat line is pretty close to what he did on the field.

Keep in mind that this was the league's #3 defense and we have no running game. We played the world champs in their stadium to a tie with :04 remaining.

That's the toughest game Brodie will play all year. The rest are gravy compared to that.

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2007, 04:40 PM
No we do not have the deep threats for that type of offense.

Dwayne Bowe isn't a deep threat? That's news to me.

headsnap
11-18-2007, 04:53 PM
IMHO, giving him a chance to WIN against the Super Bowl champs in his first start would have done more for his confidence, than a couple of ints would have done to damage it.