PDA

View Full Version : Was it just me, or did A.I. suck?

DaWolf
07-02-2001, 12:28 AM
I thought Teddy Ruxpin did a good job with his role, but overall I think Spielberg should have spent more time working on this film. I like Kubrick, so I've got to wonder if he were around whether a better product wouldn't have been put out. Spielberg shoulda tried harder on this one...

mcan
07-02-2001, 01:49 AM
You are right on. AI would have been a world or two better had Kubric been on board. There was too much dialogue and too much explaining. the first few scenes were not needed and the voice over was stupid. The story is right up Stanley's alley and some the shots looked right out of 2001. That's a good thing, but Steven Speilburg should NOT have writtin this script. Why not give it to a sci fi writer? Or David Mammet or something. Although it was good to see Stanley Kubrick's name up on the big screen one last time, this one is frustrating. It was so... ALMOST good.

Clint in Wichita
07-02-2001, 08:30 AM
My desire to see AI faded dramatically as soon as I saw that the little turd from "The Sixth Sense" (another highly overrated movie) was starring in it.

HC_Chief
07-02-2001, 08:52 AM
I liked AI. Sure, it had a lot of technical flaws, but that is to be expected. I went in with low expectations - perhaps that is why I wasn't as mad about this movie not being 'great' as some people.

Osment did a great job.

<i>The Sixth Sense</i> overrated? I think not - that was an excellent film :)

Clint in Wichita
07-02-2001, 08:55 AM
SS was a blatant rip-off of "Jacob's Ladder"...a far superior movie IMO.

Actually, I knew the ending to "Sixth Sense" far earlier than I should have only because I had seen JL several years ago.

HC_Chief
07-02-2001, 09:09 AM
I disagree completely. JL was an excellent film too - but nothing like TSS.

I can see how the plot twist at the end of TSS could be construed as a likeness of JL's lead coming to grips with his own mortality, but that would be the only similarity... and a very vague one at that.

BIG_DADDY
07-02-2001, 01:04 PM
Haven't seen A.I. yet and am not exactly excited about seeing it after reading this thread. I am not sure what Clint's problem is with the kid. "Sixth Sence" was pretty weak but I thought that he did a good job in "Paying Forward".

Clint in Wichita
07-02-2001, 01:20 PM
It's just my personal taste. Since I ceased BEING a kid, I haven't enjoyed many movies in which a kid was the star. There are a few exceptions, but SS wasn't one of them.

SS would've been a better movie if it had actually been about a kid that sees dead people & nothing more. I wanted to see streets full of dead people...ghosts everywhere. Instead, I get 3 or 4 dead people and an ending stolen from Jacob's Ladder. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

Fat Elvis
07-02-2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Clint in Wichita
It's just my personal taste. Since I ceased BEING a kid, I haven't enjoyed many movies in which a kid was the star. There are a few exceptions, but SS wasn't one of them.

SS would've been a better movie if it had actually been about a kid that sees dead people & nothing more. I wanted to see streets full of dead people...ghosts everywhere. Instead, I get 3 or 4 dead people and an ending stolen from Jacob's Ladder. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

Hey the kid in SS was a heck of a lot better than the kid who played Anakin Skywalker in Episode 1 of Star Wars......

keg in kc
07-02-2001, 03:27 PM
Yeah, mesa hated Anakin more than mesa hated Jar Jar Binks. ;)

I haven't seen A.I. yet, so I can't comment on that.

I enjoyed both Jacob's Ladder and The Sixth Sense, as well, so I'm neutral in that debate.

I hate kids, however, so I will say that most movies with child actors turn me way, way off.

mlyonsd
07-02-2001, 10:33 PM
I liked the little "turd" in The Sixth Sense, I can't name a better movie in the last 3-4 years.

A.I. on the other hand was a big let down. You don't expect to go to a Spielberg movie and feel bad during it. It was "Pinnochio" with an ending like the little wooden boy was thrown in the bonfire.

Definitely a downer.

Rausch
07-02-2001, 11:58 PM
I loved the questions AI raised.....Sorry, didn't even look 6 threads down to see this one before creating the other one...DUH.....

Anyway, I liked the idea of man's ignorance costing him, and the innocence of a child(or robot) leading to his.........you know.....

I loved the progression of robot to boy, and if anything, I think AI ripped of Bicentennial man...That was a clear illustration of the same idea....

DaWolf
07-03-2001, 12:13 AM
I thought the concept was brilliant and thought provoking, but my problem was with the implementation of it on screen. It just didn't seem to all come together like it should of, it just seemed to drag on and on. \and you're right, throughout the whole movie I kept thinking Bicentennial Man.

I've seen mixed reactions. Some people liked it, and some didn't. I had high expectations and was disappointed. I do as always encourage everyone to go see it (be it on the big screen or DVD) and draw their own conclusion...

Rausch
07-03-2001, 12:36 AM
As I've said 800 times, for me, the questions I was forced to answer that the movie brought up were more intertaining than the actual film.

What exactly is life?

When is something no longer human?

What qualifies as human?

Why do we think only human life is important and significant?