PDA

View Full Version : Column hype.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 07:07 PM
I've talked my editor into releasing my column online before it hits print tomorrow. In my column I take shots at everybody - the pessimists and the homers. So if you want a reason to hate me, it's gonna be up as soon as she gets around to it.
http://www.greenwooddispatch.com/sports_news.php

cdcox
11-18-2007, 07:10 PM
It would be better if we could read it right now.

Demonpenz
11-18-2007, 07:11 PM
freaking marine ex football players think they know everything

Fly O.T. McWall
11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
it would be better if we could see a little nipple.

and it doesn't have to be yours... i hear you married WAY up.

KcMizzou
11-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Personally, I'm scintillated.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Personally, I'm scintillated.
Wow. I should have used that word in the column.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 07:29 PM
It would be better if we could read it right now.Not really. We need to escalate your hopes only to have them dashed upon the unveiling of my tripe.

Demonpenz
11-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I can't wait for 10 words about football and 200 about tile floors.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I can't wait for 10 words about football and 200 about tile floors.
Are you waiting for me to quote you and respond to each and every word? That's not likely to happen.

KcMizzou
11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow. I should have used that word in the column.You should... I looked it up just to make sure I spelled it right.

Coach
11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
The coaching staff. You got outcoached. The offensive play calls were horrendous. If Croyle is ready to start..let him play. The division is up for grabs...go for the golden ring! Don't hope it comes to you.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
You should... I looked it up just to make sure I spelled it right.

I'll bet you spelled it with an "e" and thought it meant you were stinky.

KcMizzou
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
I'll bet you spelled it with an "e" and thought it meant you were stinky.LMAO

Eh, not really.

Demonpenz
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Are you waiting for me to quote you and respond to each and every word? That's not likely to happen.

I am just typing to type. I am pretty interested though. I am tired of the usual articles so predictible

Demonpenz
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
atleast this team isn't soft

Phobia
11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Here it is, fans. I hope it is worth the lengthy wait.

Coach
11-18-2007, 08:25 PM
If Jared Allen isn't one of the highest paid defensive ends in the NFL wearing an arrowhead logo on the side of his helmet in 2008 there's something seriously wrong with the system at One Arrowhead.

Needs a comma between 2008 and there's, me thinks.

Demonpenz
11-18-2007, 08:27 PM
allen is better than dt.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
allen is better than dt.
Wait, did you get the wrong column? That was from before the bye.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Ah - you must have read both of them.

Demonpenz
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
no i was just saying I think jarred is better than DT. DT was awesome at times but I couldn't depend on him game after game. jarred plays BIG and physical. If you have attitude like jarred you really don't have an off day. in my humble opinion I was always frusted because DT would look unstopable to other games when I would say " he needs to be in there on passing downs only"

Hydrae
11-18-2007, 08:42 PM
If Jared Allen isn't one of the highest paid defensive ends in the NFL wearing an arrowhead logo on the side of his helmet in 2008 there's something seriously wrong with the system at One Arrowhead.

Needs a comma between 2008 and there's, me thinks.

I also thought this sentence was awkward. Who is a higher paid defensive end in the NFL wearing an arrowhead logo on the side of his helmet now? Does Hali earn more than Allen?

Just picking, enjoyed the article as a whole. I agree that each person needs to make up their own minds about where this team is and where it is headed. I would feel more optomistic about the future if I had faith that the coaching staff can make use of the young offensive talent we have but I have not seen evidence enough to make me believe.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 09:00 PM
That sentence definitely sounded better in my head. I'm surprised neither of the editors hacked it up. Normally they catch my mistakes such as.

MIAdragon
11-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Not bad at all.

Smed1065
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Nice job.

Luzap
11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Good article Phil.

Well written and well reasoned.

Luz
we do have a nucleus for future greatness :)...

Phobia
11-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Good article Phil.

Well written and well reasoned.

Luz
we do have a nucleus for future greatness :)...

Would you like to buy a premium subscription for exclusive coverage of Chiefs football? Only $99,000.00 per year gets you your very own reporter and you'll get your own Chiefs tidbit in your inbox every morning. How 'bout it, Luz?

Fly O.T. McWall
11-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Would you like to buy a premium subscription for exclusive coverage of Chiefs football? Only $99,000.00 per year gets you your very own reporter and you'll get your own Chiefs tidbit in your inbox every morning. How 'bout it, Luz?
i'll give ya $500 a year... youll just have to trus me.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Phil,

It was a good article and I know you're trying really hard to be "the voice of reason".

However, just because Herm Edwards is the coach doesn't mean the fans have to like his uber-conservative offensive style. I really hate how everyone holds up the Tampa and Baltimore Super Bowl wins and says, well, they did it, why not us.

The difference was Billick and Gruden took advantage of what their offenses could do and did them to the best that they could. They didn't blindly run plays because "they would minimize turnovers". I live in Baltimore . . . their offense, while inept at times, was aggressive and always looked for some way to score. Sure, their defense was in some ways the perfect storm that year, but their offense still had to put points on the board and Billick would never eschew an attempt to get at least another three points in a tied game.

Gruden rode a strong defense to the Super Bowl, but he ran an aggressive offense that kept chipping away at the opponents. Yes, his defense usually won the field position battles but still, their offense was not ranked #30 in the NFL and Brad Johnson knew how to throw the ball downfield and take what the defenses gave them. Damon Huard will never be mistaken for Brad Johnson and even though he's no longer behind center, Edwards is still afraid to call for passes longer than 10 yards.

Herm may be a great evaluator of players and he may be a great defensive mind, but he has no business being the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Yeah, I'll still watch the games at the local bar here or maybe listen to Mitch and Lenny on the internet radio, but I have declared a moratorium on any purchases of Chiefs stuff . . . no trips to KC, no tickets to the games (to include the games in Washington and Baltimore in 09), no new hats, no new nothing until we get some new blood at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

Yeah, I know. I'm only one person and I guess I'm not a "true fan". I'm just a pissed off one.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm just as frustrated as everybody else. I just don't like to tell people how they should think. I want to present all the variables and let people figure out where they fall rather than giving them my opinion as the gospel. I'm guessing I may become fed up and sling my strong opinion at some point but I really don't want to be the kind of wannabe journalist I've come to loathe.

Smed1065
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm just as frustrated as everybody else. I just don't like to tell people how they should think. I want to present all the variables and let people figure out where they fall rather than giving them my opinion as the gospel. I'm guessing I may become fed up and sling my strong opinion at some point but I really don't want to be the kind of wannabe journalist I've come to loathe.

See you got paid more from "erronous" than you thought.

;)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 10:04 PM

I understand your point of view and believe me, compared to the tripe the KC Star passes off as sports journalism, your article was a breath of fresh air.

I also appreciate the work that went into it.

I'm just frustrated. This team, even with its flaws, is so much better than it's looked the past few weeks. There's nothing wrong with being conservative when the situation calls for it. There <b>is</b> something wrong when you're coaching scared and losing games that should have been won.

Guess I'll start saving my money to visit Arrowhead in 2010 or 11.

Love the Chiefs. Hate the coach. Way of the world.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 10:08 PM
See you got paid more from "erronous" than you thought.

;)
I'm not merely talking about Nick. He's far too homer and kissass for me, naturally. I don't have a problem criticizing the team in print but I definitely prefer more of a balanced format, similar to my Two Plus Two column with his rag.

Smed1065
11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I thought that was your best point in the article. Everyone needs to decide for themselves.

I could not resist the shot though.

Donger
11-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I liked the second piece more, but both were worth reading. Nice work, Phobia.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Seriously? I put a lot more time and effort into today's column. In fact, the Raiders week column that was published was my draft. There was no editing.

Donger
11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Seriously? I put a lot more time and effort into today's column. In fact, the Raiders week column that was published was my draft.

Perhaps that's why I preferred it. Just an opinion, but maybe your drafts are more like you having a chat over a beer with a fellow fan?

Chief Henry
11-18-2007, 10:30 PM

I would agree with that. The 2nd piece was good too. I hope people click on it.

I watched the game phobia and the 2nd half just killed me. It was blatantly obvious that we couldn't run the ball with any success, yet
there we go, handcuffing our self's to 2nd and 8 the intire 2nd half.
Croyle had composure, that was obvious too. Given that, we should have taken the training wheels off (more) to let him have the chance to succeed. If Croyle would have had the "deer in the headlights look"
then we should have runned the ball more, but that wasn't the case
imo. THats the fly in the ointment for em. Croyle looked comfortable in the pocket and did a decent job on the boot legs. I bet we win this game with 5 more play action pass plays.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Perhaps that's why I preferred it. Just an opinion, but maybe your drafts are more like you having a chat over a beer with a fellow fan?

Well, I did get a little formal at times this week. I don't know why. I guess I'm a little more loose and playful with my writing after a win while I'm trying to keep the frustration out of it after a loss. Maybe a losing column needs a sarcastic element.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, I did get a little formal at times this week. I don't know why. I guess I'm a little more loose and playful with my writing after a win while I'm trying to keep the frustration out of it after a loss. Maybe a losing column needs a sarcastic element.

Eh, it just takes a while to develop your own "style". Comes with practice. I cringe when I go back and read my old "clippings" from my sports articles and compare them to my current writing style.

Hell, I compare stuff I wrote last year to this year's and cringe. :eek:

Phobia
11-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I still like my first published column from 2005 the best of all of them. Strange.

Introduction: - My name is Phil Kloster but some of my limited readership may know me as ďPhobiaĒ. The nickname has been with me since the second grade. Some of you might not understand so Iíll explain further Ė Claustrophobia is a fear of closed spaces.

The pronunciation of my last name closely resembles that of this aforementioned phobia, or at least it did to the second grade playground bully who thought he was insulting me at the time. Iím pretty sure I didnít cry but I may have kissed his girlfriend behind the slide for payback. Thatís the way we rolled in the Iowa Ďhood.

Some of you already know me through years of discussion and others simply donít care to. Please skip to the Press Box portion of this story if you've already heard enough about me.

Beginning with the Kansas City Starís original discussion board, Iíve been a part of the small Chiefs online community for nearly a decade. In 2000 a large group broke from that site to form ChiefsPlanet.com. I managed ChiefsPlanet for 5 years. Iíve also spent time at nearly every other Chiefs related site around the internet including WildBillsChiefs.com, ChiefsCoalition.com, ChiefsHuddle.com, Chiefswarroom.net, and most recently WarpaintIllustrated.com.

Iíve ďmetĒ thousands of Chiefs fans online. I lost count of the in-person meetings of online friends at 300.

One of the associations of which Iím most proud is The 37 Forever Foundation. 37 Forever is a local, Chiefs related charity that raises money to send underprivileged and at risk youth through water safety and swim training. The ď37Ē portion of the Foundation name was the jersey number of Chiefs running back Joe Delaney, who lost his life trying to save three young boys in a tragic event in 1983. Joe Delaney jumped into the water despite the fact he could not swim. Please visit www.37forever.org for more information.

In early December of 2005, I left all my friends at ChiefsPlanet to manage the forums at Warpaint Illustrated and to write a column from a fan's perspective - among other things - for which Iíll now have the resources due to the backing of Scout.com and FoxSports. Iím nobody special. Iím a Chiefs fan with an online hobby and a passion for the Chiefs. Iím not a professional journalist as youíve surely deduced thus far. But I hope youíll find my writing interesting because Iím looking at the team from your vantage point combined with special access.

Press Box: The final home game of the season lent me the opportunity to view the Chiefs and their opponent, the Cincinnati Bengals, from the press box at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs were fighting for their playoff lives in hopes the Detroit Lions would do them a favor. As we all now know, the Lions roared for a half and then fell to the sixth-seeded AFC wildcard Pittsburgh Steelers.

I left the parking lot with anticipation early Sunday morning, earlier than I had ever entered Arrowhead to attend a game before. I tailgated with a bevy of friends that morning, just like every other pre-game ritual for games past, except I (gasp) drank no beer. I rode the elevator to the press box level after going through the pat-down lines. I requested a pat-down from a female. Instead, a large black male security guard who failed to see the humor in my request wrestled me into a submissive hold, ensuring I wasnít carrying any unauthorized contraband. After he confiscated my cell-phone flask, I finally arrived at the press box.

The press box is a large, windowed room with three tiers. The important, highly paid journalists sit in the first tier. The print beatniks get the second tier. With my apologies to Jonathan Rand, the internet geeks and names youíve never heard sit in the upper row. The box has a 200 person capacity. On this day, there are over 150 journalists in attendance. I was blown away by the sheer numbers. If youíre actually reading my column, you probably follow the Chiefs as closely as I do. I never fathomed it takes 150 people to keep the citizens of Kansas City abreast of developments at One Arrowhead Drive.

The press box stretches between the 35-yard lines and is entirely covered by sparkling clear glass windows. It is akin to watching a football game on a 100-foot wide HDTV. In other words, the view is enviable. Every Chiefs fan should enjoy this opportunity at least once in their lives.

The press corps conducts themselves professionally during the game. That means we arenít contributing to the noise at Arrowhead, but it's for the best. Most of the journalists are scribbling notes, whispering into a recorder or speaking into a radio microphone. Some of them are on laptops, utilizing the wireless internet setup in the press box to monitor the score of the Lions game. I am the only idiot sharing my experience via text posting with my friends on the internet.

From the third tier of the box it is impossible to see the jumbotron. We are at the mercy of the CBS feed that is being shown on 19-inch monitors scattered throughout the pressbox.

At halftime, Chiefs sponsor Sheridan's Custard provided custard to the press. After Star columnist Jason Whitlock held up the line for nearly the entire half, I took what few crumbs remained back to my seat and enjoyed the Chiefs trouncing of the Bengals. I surely wish that same team had traveled to Ralph Wilson Stadium to play the Buffalo Bills in early October.

At the game's conclusion we were all given packets of the final stats and whisked below to the depths of Arrowhead, to participate in Dick Vermeilís final post-game press conference. I was amazed to see the 60-by-30 foot room bursting at the seams with 13 television cameras, countless still cameras and dozens of sweaty scribes. A post-game press conference is no picnic, especially one billed as "Dickís Last Sob." It didnít take long for Vermeil to start sniffling. What you donít hear during the televised portions of a Dick Vermeil press conference is the hundreds of shutters opening and closing trying to capture the perfect snapshot of Vermeil in mid-cry. When heís smiling or simply speaking those same shutters are silent. These observations aren't an exaggeration, unlike the burly security guard pat-down depicted earlier.

Dick Vermeilís Legacy: As you can tell by now, I intend to keep my coverage of the Chiefs rather fun. I bring levity to my life daily. Laughter is a key ingredient to my sanity and that of my family. I think most people covering the Chiefs take themselves and the team far too seriously. I planned to inject some of my personality into my writing by offering a different twist. The final portion of my article will not be like that. I am reporting on an impression that I had and a lesson 5 years in the making. I hope that youíll learn it more quickly than I.

For most of Dick Vermeilís tenure, I considered his press conferences to be lip service. I developed a healthy dislike for his seemingly scripted answers and endless excuses for his players and staff. During Trent Greenís first season, I coined the spelling ďTrINTĒ. I was an embittered fan. Rufus Dawes might have suggested I had been afflicted with listening to sports talk radio disease. Bob Gretz would have labeled me ďclassless and derangedĒ.

Despite the predictable tears ten seconds into the press conference, I felt a genuine passion in Vermeil's words. There was a lot of emotion in that room and it wasnít flowing unidirectional from the podium. It was pouring from the Hunt family sitting in reserved seating on the second row, from Carl Peterson standing near the doors and from various Vermeil family members scattered around the room. Even Mrs. Peterson wiped at a tear during one portion of the presentation. There is a lot of love for Dick Vermeil within the Kansas City organization, and I even felt some of my own.

Towards the latter portion of the conference, Vermeil was asked about some of his fondest memories over the past five years in Kansas City. For five years the man has preached his relationship mantra in the media and to anyone who would listen. You canít listen to Dick Vermeil speak passionately without some mention of the word ďrelationshipĒ. His relationships built and further cultivated in Kansas City were his high point, he explained.

Most people would presume the high point of his tenure would have perhaps been a record-breaking performance by Dante Hall, a specific victory, winning streak, or records broken by a special running back. Not Dick Vermeil. He said that nothing can take his relationships away, no matter how well or poorly the Chiefs perform on the field. Until today I had largely ignored those words. Finally, theyíve struck a chord within me.

Therefore, in my mind, Dick Vermeilís legacy in Kansas City isnít his 13-3 season and playoff flop. Itís not the Super Bowl expectations and super playoff failure. Itís not even his NFL record busting offenses (or defenses) over the years. Dick Vermeilís legacy in Kansas City Ė Dick Vermeilís legacy in the entire NFL - is his relationship-building.

In the end, whether you loved him or hated him, you should take a lesson from the man. Heís built an entire career Ė and a legacy Ė upon relationships and family. You may not have his checkbook or Porsche, but you can emulate the effort he places in maintaining his relationships just the same. Thatís my plan.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Nice article.

I can see why you're proud of that one.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Nice article.

I can see why you're proud of that one.
So you agree - I'm getting worse.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 11:01 PM
So you agree - I'm getting worse.

No. I think your writing <i>technique</i> has improved from that article to this one. The only major difference is the passion in your writing.

I just think you were inspired by the events that you saw and they really moved you to write an article from the heart. Your skills were a little rougher in your first article, but there was something in the first article that sang when I read it.

The <i>passion</i> in that article was different from the article you posted today. You've traded some passion for objectivity (which is not always a bad thing - Fatlock can be passionate and still be a poor journalist), but don't stifle your natural style to be objective. You have a love for the game of football and for the Chiefs. Go with it. You can clean up the excessive homerism when you do your first set of edits. ;)

Write with a clear eye AND passion. :thumb:

(Yeah, I know, easier said than done).

Phobia
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I've no doubt my passion has been stripped through several unfortunate events over the past 2 years. It's something I should work on, clearly.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I guess you're suggesting the objectivity angle is causing the rest to suffer?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
I've only read a few of your articles (I didn't do the Warpaint thing). But, knowing you, I think (and remember, file this under "O" for opinion") you should write your first draft of the article with whatever emotion is driving you at the time.

Then, set the article aside for a bit and when you do your first set of edits, come back with a cooler eye and see what is passion and what is hyperbole. Unless you have a deadline of an hour after the game, you should have time for a cooling off period to come back and give it a good clean up. That's where your objectivity will come into play and you can balance what motivated you to write with a need to tell both sides of the story.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks again. My deadline is actually as soon as I can finish Sunday afternoon.

Donger
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM

Just be yourself and don't force anything (see some of GoChiefs' work).

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-18-2007, 11:27 PM
No problem.

You're better man than I am. These days, I am having a <b>hard</b> time being objective about this team. If I had to turn around an article that quickly, it would be pretty "salty". ;)

Phobia
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Just be yourself and don't force anything (see some of GoChiefs' work).

Donger
11-18-2007, 11:35 PM
ROFL

Perhaps SOME subtlety is in order.

Skip Towne
11-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Here it is, fans. I hope it is worth the lengthy wait.

Steve Largent? You're comparing Bowe to Steve Largent? Largent was a small, slow, white WR from Tulsa. A great, to be sure, possession receiver. But he was nothing at all like Bowe. Tim Brown wasn't like Bowe either.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Steve Largent? You're comparing Bowe to Steve Largent? Largent was a small, slow, white WR from Tulsa. A great, to be sure, possession receiver. But he was nothing at all like Bowe. Tim Brown wasn't like Bowe either.
Read the context of the statement. Jeesh.
If the Chiefs feed Bowe the ball frequently, he'll easily become our version of Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, or Tim Brown Ė players who sustained their respective franchises' vertical game for extensive careers.

Smed1065
11-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Its late.

Bi-Focals have have limits depending on the time of day.

Skip Towne
11-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Read the context of the statement. Jeesh.
Very deceptive. You're expecting your readers to read between the lines. Bowe is more like TO and Randy Moss. Big guy with great hands and YAC. Certainly nothing like you are describing. I guess it is just me but I was shocked to see Brown and Largent compared to Bowe. Especially Largent.

Phobia
11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Very deceptive. You're expecting your readers to read between the lines. Bowe is more like TO and Randy Moss. Big guy with great hands and YAC. Certainly nothing like you are describing. I guess it is just me but I was shocked to see Brown and Largent compared to Bowe. Especially Largent.

Why would I compare to TO and Moss - players who bounce from team to team when I'm painting a picture of productive longevity, preferably for the Chiefs?

Ari Chi3fs
11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Good article, that could have been great had you dogged Mizzou in there somewhere.

Skip Towne
11-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Why would I compare to TO and Moss - players who bounce from team to team when I'm painting a picture of productive longevity, preferably for the Chiefs?
Because he is their type of receiver. Nothing like what you are portraying. So are you just writing about what you hope will happen? I can get that from Athan and GoChiefs. I hold you to a higher standard.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Heh. Well thank you. Obviously the point I was trying to make is beyond you. Yes, I do realize Largent was a smallish white guy and Bowe is a huge black guy. You're right, comparing the two based on that would have been pretty silly, which is why I qualified it.

Skip Towne
11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Heh. Well thank you. Obviously the point I was trying to make is beyond you. Yes, I do realize Largent was a smallish white guy and Bowe is a huge black guy. You're right, comparing the two based on that would have been pretty silly, which is why I qualified it.
You're right, I'm just too old to comprehend why you used Largent and Bowe in the same article. The two are 180 degrees apart in everything.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Heh heh. I don't know that it's an age based problem for you. Maybe it's more of a narrow mind thing.

Skip Towne
11-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Heh heh. I don't know that it's an age based problem for you. Maybe it's more of a narrow mind thing.
Yeah, I missed your point completely. I hope it doesn't happen to your readers. Perhaps in your next column you can compare and contrast Spud Webb and Wilt Chamberlain. :p

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I missed your point completely. I hope it doesn't happen to your readers. Perhaps in your next column you can compare and contrast Spud Webb and Wilt Chamberlain. :p
Wilt never won a sanctioned dunk contest. Spud did.

Skip Towne
11-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Wilt never won a sanctioned dunk contest. Spud did.
Good point.

Brando
11-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Now that is premium content!

Brando
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM
BTW...you should have refrenced the "farting teddy bear" ad in today's coupon insert of the Star.

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2007, 01:42 AM
Very deceptive. You're expecting your readers to read between the lines. Bowe is more like TO and Randy Moss.

I would replace Moss (different style) with Sterling Sharpe. He has great hands, and will move the chains

Phobia
11-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I would replace Moss (different style) with Sterling Sharpe. He has great hands, and will move the chains
Yeah and Sterling had a career ending injury. I wasn't comparing WR styles in this column, I was comparing longevity and production - building up hope for Bowe's future.

Baby Lee
11-19-2007, 09:09 AM
'Abubble' is one word in the sense you are using it.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 09:22 AM
'Abubble' is one word in the sense you are using it.

Yeah, that's the way I typed it. My spell checker didn't like it so I looked it up in an online dictionary. They didn't like it run together either.

Fly O.T. McWall
11-19-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/abubble

chasedude
11-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Nice Article Phobia!

HemiEd
11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice read Phil. :thumb:

Valiant
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
It ****ing sucked, but I did not read it either.. Was their any naked pictures of hot women in it?? I might read it then..

tooge
11-19-2007, 12:04 PM
All the BS about what type of receiver so and so is aside, all three of those (this years and the '05 one) were very good. Some of the loss of passion certainly is age related. I feel it. It is just not as fun to get drunk, sit in crappy weather, and scream as loud as a can as it was 15 years ago. Of course, I will be 41 in a few months, so it is expected. I know it is probably the same with you Phil, two teenage girls, wife, home, career. The passion is still there, it just needs a winning team to bring it out. I happen to like your style of writing. It is very "fans perspective". I have always wondered, "what the hell does Adam Teicher know about football that I dont?'' Certainly that spankstein never played a down. Well, nothing, which is why the style we are force fed by the media is usually so frustrating to read. Keep it up.

Fly O.T. McWall
11-19-2007, 12:25 PM
well... .your certainly no eileen weer.