PDA

View Full Version : Oven cooking a turkey

luv
11-19-2007, 12:05 AM
For those of you old-fashioned people who still use an oven to prepare your turkey, how do you prepare it? Any special rubs? What do you use to stuff it?

I don't like to cook my dressing in the bird. I was thinking of butter, apples, and onions. Also, was thinking of just brushing it with olive oil to cook it.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Old fashioned? Are you kidding? People have been smoking and frying birds for centuries. Oven cooking is new-fangled by comparison.

luv
11-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Old fashioned? Are you kidding? People have been smoking and frying birds for centuries. Oven cooking is new-fangled by comparison.
Alright, so how do all of you cutting edge people prepare your bird for the oven?

:p

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Much better. I wouldn't know. I've never prepared a bird in the oven. I'm guessing you cook it on 375 for several hours until the internal temperature is 180, mopping once an hour to keep it moist.

cdcox
11-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Butterball. Follow the pamphlet. I did my first one when I was in my 20s and didn't have much cooking experience. Absolutely fool proof. One of these days, I'd like to try a fresh turkey.

cdcox
11-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Maybe you've already bought your turkey and its too late to buy a Butterball. If you haven't bought your turkey, your really should since it takes several days to thaw in the fridge. There are ways to speed it up...

More info needed.

luv
11-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Maybe you've already bought your turkey and its too late to buy a Butterball. If you haven't bought your turkey, your really should since it takes several days to thaw in the fridge. There are ways to speed it up...

More info needed.
Dad bought the smallest bird he could find. He guessed 10 pounds. There will only be three of us. I don't believe it's a Butterball. It's currently in the fridge.

I've cooked a turkey before. I'm just wanting to try something new.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Dad bought the smallest bird he could find. He guessed 10 pounds. There will only be three of us. I don't believe it's a Butterball. It's currently in the fridge.

I've cooked a turkey before. I'm just wanting to try something new.
Then try it. If somebody has already done it, it's not really new then. Stuff it with apples and whatever else you mentioned. That's what's fun about cooking, trying different things you think will work.

cdcox
11-19-2007, 12:33 AM
We stuff ours with sausage stuffing. Other than that, we are pretty standard.

Apples are sweet and onions are savory -- I'm not sure about mixing them. I'd google around to see if anyone else had tried it.

Same with the olive oil. I doesn't do as well at high heat as canoloa or veg. I'd do some research before trying it.

luv
11-19-2007, 12:37 AM
We stuff ours with sausage stuffing. Other than that, we are pretty standard.

Apples are sweet and onions are savory -- I'm not sure about mixing them. I'd google around to see if anyone else had tried it.

Same with the olive oil. I doesn't do as well at high heat as canoloa or veg. I'd do some research before trying it.
You can mix sweet and savory. I got the olive oil idea from Food Network.

I'm willing to try it, but I think dad is going to be stuck on stuffing. He's in charge of sides.

cdcox
11-19-2007, 12:39 AM
You can mix sweet and savory. I got the olive oil idea from Food Network.

I'm willing to try it, but I think dad is going to be stuck on stuffing. He's in charge of sides.

Sounds like a plan then. Let us know how it comes out.

Valiant
11-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Shit we just deep fry them now and eat it like chicken fingers.. Takes way less time and tastes awesome.. Also roasting a pig this week for my family since we had our Big family dinner last Saturday..

luv
11-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Shit we just deep fry them now and eat it like chicken fingers.. Takes way less time and tastes awesome.. Also roasting a pig this week for my family since we had our Big family dinner last Saturday..
It was good to kind of meet you Saturday. I was the girl in the stands.

Mecca
11-19-2007, 02:02 AM
I wonder if anyone will set their house on fire deep frying a turkey.....like that All State commercial.

luv
11-19-2007, 02:04 AM
I wonder if anyone will set their house on fire deep frying a turkey.....like that All State commercial.
I've never deep fried one, but I've heard that's easy to do if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

I was thinking about marinating my turkey. I don't think I have a container big enough, though.

Valiant
11-19-2007, 02:32 AM

LOL, you cut it up first..

tommykat
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
For those of you old-fashioned people who still use an oven to prepare your turkey, how do you prepare it? Any special rubs? What do you use to stuff it?

I don't like to cook my dressing in the bird. I was thinking of butter, apples, and onions. Also, was thinking of just brushing it with olive oil to cook it.

Butter, apples and onions? :eek: :shake: You tend to take after your Dad for adventure with cooking....however, can we stick to a normal one just this one time? :D

penguinz
11-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I've never deep fried one, but I've heard that's easy to do if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

I was thinking about marinating my turkey. I don't think I have a container big enough, though.Use your bath tub!

Donger
11-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Do they still put the neck (or whatever it is) inside the turkey?

penguinz
11-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Do they still put the neck (or whatever it is) inside the turkey?That is the turkey penis!

Donger
11-19-2007, 05:30 PM
That is the turkey penis!

Oh. That kind of puts a damper on the "hung like a bird" expression.

AZORChiefFan
11-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Cooked 3 Turkeys using this method.

Good Eats Brined Turkey (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html)

1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
1 gallon iced water
For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil

Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.

A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500 degrees. Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine.

Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil.

Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350 degrees F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.

Cochise
11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
someone's got to:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cooking+a+turkey+in+an+oven

StcChief
11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
If you go oven route... Use a cooking bag time drops saves from drying out.

BigVE
11-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I have fried, smoked, baked many turkeys and by far the best one I ever made was in the oven. I bought one of those oven roaster bags to put the turkey in. I injected it with a garlic marinade the night before. I put it in the oven around 2 a.m. on about 225 until about 9 a.m when I raised the temp to 375 until the timer thingy popped up. Keep a pan of water in the bottom of the oven too. Worked great for me.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Smoked Prime Rib Roast this year.

AZORChiefFan
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM