PDA

View Full Version : At what age did you learn about Santa Claus?

Mr. Plow
11-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm curious.

I have an 8 year old - soon to be 9 - that, as far as I know, still believes in Santa Claus. He's almost caught us a couple of times, but never enough to dismiss Santa. Personally, I'm thinking this is his last Santa Christmas.....can I say that word or should I use Family Get Together Day?

So, roughly what age did you find out and at what age did you break the news to your kids?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
WHAT? Santa not real? Your Lying arent you?

Mr. Plow
11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I hate it when I ruin it for Santa, Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny. Sorry man....

Simplex3
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM
I was that kid that had the whole kindergarten class in tears for letting it out of the bag.

DMAC
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM
My folks told me from the start. I had to keep the secret from my classmates.

Long story short, my childhood was training for "How NOT to parent your children".

C-Mac
11-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm curious.

I have an 8 year old - soon to be 9 - that, as far as I know, still believes in Santa Claus. He's almost caught us a couple of times, but never enough to dismiss Santa. Personally, I'm thinking this is his last Santa Christmas.....can I say that word or should I use Family Get Together Day?

So, roughly what age did you find out and at what age did you break the news to your kids?

Isn't it interesting that so called "christian" values such as not lying,
"do not be lying to one another"(Colossians 3:9), go out the window on so called "christian" holidays?

Mr. Plow
11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
I really think the whole concept of Santa Claus makes Christmas....ooops, Family Get Together Day......that much more fun for them. So, if my kids can hold onto it a little longer, I'm for it.

DMAC
11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
"do not be lying to one another"(Colossians 3:9), go out the window on so called "christian" holidays?They didn't in my family.

Mr. Plow
11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
"do not be lying to one another"(Colossians 3:9), go out the window on so called "christian" holidays?

Strange, yes. But that's not what this thread is about.

boogblaster
11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Every day some SOB busts me bubble .....

Joie
11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I found out on my own when I was about 8. I didn't tell my parents I knew because I didn't want to ruin it for them. Mom officially told me when I was ten at Easter (she took me Easter Bunny shopping with her for my younger brother). I was sworn to secrecy and they told him two years later at Christmas.

Our girls mother told the kids when the youngest was five. They asked us for confirmation. Aces and I told them we still believe in Santa and did our damndest to bring him back for the girls. It worked! She will be 8 two days before Christmas.

I never intend to tell the girls or our future children that Santa isn't real. Life's going to kick them soon enough. Why help it along? Keep the magic as long as you can.

Baby Lee
I don't know how early I figured it out, but I know for damn sure I never let on to my parents that I had. Santa brought the cool presents. So long as that was the dynamic, I was gonna play along.

Cochise
I figured it out on my own, we had a pretty small house and they only have so many places to hide presents.

JohninGpt
My parents told me about Santa when I was very young. I can't wait til he climbs down my chimney this year!

C-Mac
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
They didn't in my family.
Tis rare indeed. I assume the same with the Easter Bunny?

KurtCobain
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
6 or 7ish

C-Mac
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Strange, yes. But that's not what this thread is about.
Sorry, I thought your query was when to tell the truth to your child?

Demonpenz
11-19-2007, 10:44 AM
My old man told me the i think around 5 it was somewhere between him throwing a beer can at me and putting a cigerette out on my neck.

luv
11-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I have an older brother who let me know when I was about 6 or 7.

Joie
11-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Tis rare indeed. I assume the same with the Easter Bunny?
Thats how our girls mother is. This Halloween is the first time in five years they got to go trick or treating. Aces and I have never managed to have them on Halloween until this year. She's hellbent on destroying all the things that I consider childhood.

So....Santa and the Easter Bunny always comes to Daddy's house. The tooth fairy almost got caught recently, so she'll need to be more careful in the future.

Mr. Plow
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I thought your query was when to tell the truth to your child?

My query was about Santa Claus, not religion.

Valiant
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM

I wish on of the values was not to ****ing shop on black friday..

Wile_E_Coyote
11-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Santa is real, but is more like a virus

JohninGpt
11-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I wish on of the values was not to ****ing shop on black friday..
I stay home with the kids, the Mrs. is the combat shopper.

StcChief
11-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Santa Who?

JohninGpt
11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Santa is real, but is more like a virus
Santa Ebola better stay the hell away from my chimney!

stumppy
11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I have three older brothers. They told me when i was about 4 just to be mean.
That was one of many memories I have of day to day life with three of my own personal tortureer's.

Edit:

Now that I think about it I was only 3. They all laughed at me while I kept crying and saying " Yes there is a Santa".

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
I think I caught them when I was 4 or 5. I kept playing the game for several years because I was afraid "Santa" would stop delivering if I told them I knew he wasn't real.

chasedude
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
My old man told me the i think around 5 it was somewhere between him throwing a beer can at me and putting a cigerette out on my neck.

That's F'd up dude!

Nzoner
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I know he's real I saw Mommy kissing him when I was 5

luv
11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I had a friend whose daughter was turning 10 on Christmas Eve a few years ago. She hadn't told her about Santa. I urged her to. Better to find out from her mom than to get ridiculed due to saying something about him in front of classmates. I could see her getting laughed at by saying, "Santa got me...."

Gonzo
11-19-2007, 12:10 PM

KCFalcon59
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Just after Xmas this past year I pulled my 8 year old son over and asked him how much he enjoyed all the gifts he received this year. I then proceeded to tell him the truth and he just got a big grin on his face when he realized it was his dad that bought all those great gifts for him. He took it well.

Iowanian
11-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I'll wager the sweet, 8lb 2oz baby Jesus disagrees.

I really think the whole concept of Santa Claus makes Christmas....ooops, Family Get Together Day......that much more fun for them. So, if my kids can hold onto it a little longer, I'm for it.

I see little harm in letting children enjoy that excitement and innocence that will soon enough be replaced by reality. Let them milk it for all its worth.

They're probably old enough to start understanding the REAL reason for the season when they figure it out.

Brock
11-19-2007, 01:04 PM
I think it was the 3 years straight that I didn't get anything.

Iowanian
11-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Brock's memories of Christmas are only of Grandbrock's lessons, using stockings purchased the day after last Christmas and meat sticks to demostrate proper circumcisions.

C-Mac
11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
My query was about Santa Claus, not religion.

Sorry, I felt since the "religious" holiday of Christmas(Christ's mass) and the "religious" mythical character Santa Claus(Saint Klaas) were synonymous with each other, my comment was an applicable. Your query was desiring to know what others opinion's were on what age you should stop lying or being dishonest to your kid would be, and I simply suggested that perhaps there is wisdom in the principle of never starting....whether your religious or not.

Donger
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
About six years old. I didn't like the concept of a stranger creeping around the house, so I set some booby traps to catch him.