PDA

View Full Version : Help Undertanding What The Heck Happened Request

FAX
11-19-2007, 10:23 AM
For reasons only known to Satan, I had to attend a party yesterday during the game. I insulted the hostess, broke some expensive china, ranted loudly in tongues, and generally tried to be as rude as possible but, unfortunately no one asked me to leave and, therefore, missed practically this entire, history-making game.

Anyhow, it takes a few days for my game tape to arrive by mail and, in the meantime, I've been looking at the play-by-play and noticed a few things that I'd like to understand a little better. Any insight into these items would be greatly appreciated.

First Series:

3-12-KC 41 (11:24) (Shotgun) 12-B.Croyle pass short middle to 31-P.Holmes to KC 42 for 1 yard (28-M.Jackson).

We were in long yardage due to an OH call on Terry and a prior 3 yard run up the middle by Priest. Was this a middle screen? Dumpoff? Did Brodie look any other receivers before this option?

Third Series:

This looks like a darn nice drive. We wind up on the Indy 25/30 or so, get a false start penalty, and run Priest on 2nd and 8 and again on 3rd and 4. We had a lot of snaps on this drive, though. I'm wondering if any receivers were running routes in or near the endzone. Brodie had a lot of completions, but they were listed as short passes.

Fourth Series:

This is after the Manningception. We're on or around the Indy 30. Again, were we running any deep routes?

Fifth Series:

1-10-IND 31 (5:57) 12-B.Croyle pass incomplete deep right to 18-S.Parker.

A deep pass. Off target? Dropped? Covered?

Eighth Series:

1-10-KC 34 (14:09) 12-B.Croyle pass short left to 82-D.Bowe to KC 34 for no gain (28-M.Jackson, 50-R.Boiman).

Flanker screen?

2-20-KC 24 (13:08) (Shotgun) 31-P.Holmes up the middle to KC 27 for 3 yards (21-B.Sanders).

WTF?

Ninth Series:

1-10-KC 34 (5:08) 12-B.Croyle pass incomplete short left to 18-S.Parker.

Off target? Dropped? Covered?

2-7-IND 19 (1:34) (Shotgun) 12-B.Croyle pass incomplete deep left to 88-T.Gonzalez.

I would be grateful for any information you would be willing to share.

PS: Fisher and Co. are going to rip the goats a new one tonight. Market down.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post.

wutamess
11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Ninth Series:
S. Parker
Dropped an easy ass pass that hit him in a bad spot........

His hands.
He then looked at his gloves as if they turned slippery all of a sudden.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
FAX:
You will see when the tape arrives that 90% of Brodie's throws were 15 yard routes or less. He threw some lovely deep out routes. The staff had him on a leash to protect him. He did not need that. He was extremely poised, never got happy feet, ran out of the pocket when protection broke down, and set his feet most of the day. He was in the shotgun on 3rd downs mostly, and (surprise!) enjoyed good pass protection almost the whole game. The Chiefs were clearly playing not to lose with the draw plays on 3rd and long.
Croyle's play action was respected by Indy's D. He has a good ball fake. We used the fake stretch play as PA (the one Favre burned us with over and over again) and Brodie was able to look downfield and set his feet. I am sure he was coached to take the 4 yd checkdown rather than risk the deep routes over the middle.

His stats were unspectacular but he did as he was coached. Clearly, the team gave up many scoring opportunities with the draw plays and the brain dead decision to run out the clock with a first and 10 on our own 24 with 1:15 and all our TOs left.

Croyle can throw the deep ball. I'm 90% certain he was told not to.

kaplin42
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
For reasons only known to Satan, I had to attend a party yesterday during the game. I insulted the hostess, broke some expensive china, ranted loudly in tongues, and generally tried to be as rude as possible but, unfortunately no one asked me to leave and, therefore, missed practically this entire, history-making game.

Anyhow, it takes a few days for my game tape to arrive by mail and, in the meantime, I've been looking at the play-by-play and noticed a few things that I'd like to understand a little better. Any insight into these items would be greatly appreciated.

First Series:

3-12-KC 41 (11:24) (Shotgun) 12-B.Croyle pass short middle to 31-P.Holmes to KC 42 for 1 yard (28-M.Jackson).

We were in long yardage due to an OH call on Terry and a prior 3 yard run up the middle by Priest. Was this a middle screen? Dumpoff? Did Brodie look any other receivers before this option?

Third Series:

This looks like a darn nice drive. We wind up on the Indy 25/30 or so, get a false start penalty, and run Priest on 2nd and 8 and again on 3rd and 4. We had a lot of snaps on this drive, though. I'm wondering if any receivers were running routes in or near the endzone. Brodie had a lot of completions, but they were listed as short passes.

Fourth Series:

This is after the Manningception. We're on or around the Indy 30. Again, were we running any deep routes?

Fifth Series:

1-10-IND 31 (5:57) 12-B.Croyle pass incomplete deep right to 18-S.Parker.

A deep pass. Off target? Dropped? Covered?

Eighth Series:

1-10-KC 34 (14:09) 12-B.Croyle pass short left to 82-D.Bowe to KC 34 for no gain (28-M.Jackson, 50-R.Boiman).

Flanker screen?

2-20-KC 24 (13:08) (Shotgun) 31-P.Holmes up the middle to KC 27 for 3 yards (21-B.Sanders).

WTF?

Ninth Series:

1-10-KC 34 (5:08) 12-B.Croyle pass incomplete short left to 18-S.Parker.

2-7-IND 19 (1:34) (Shotgun) 12-B.Croyle pass incomplete deep left to 88-T.Gonzalez.

I would be grateful for any information you would be willing to share.

PS: Fisher and Co. are going to rip the goats a new one tonight. Market down.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post.

Fax,

As you will see in your game tape, and more than likely have read on the Planet, the coaching staff did not want to go deep at all yesterday.

There were 5 offensive plays called.

Run to the left
Run up the middle
2 step drop dump pass to the WR at the LoS
Shotgun HB Draw
Punt

And yes, the order of the play calling was pretty much the same. You may mix up the 2 step drop and either of the run plays for 2nd down, but virtually every 3rd and long was a the HB draw.

Even when going deep made sense, Herm's, Solari's and Curl's idea of stretching the field was a 5 yard out route to TG.

I would lay bets that your day of social torture would be considered rather pleasant to any of us fans that got to sit and watch the utter abortion of a game that the coaches led the team to yesterday.

As I said in the game thread, it's hard enough to beat the opposing Defense, the home team fans, sometimes the refs, but to have to compete against your own coaches on top of that is quite literally a recipe for failure and ineptitude.

HonestChieffan
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
The secret plays have not been used, have faith.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
As I said in the game thread, it's hard enough to beat the opposing Defense, the home team fans, sometimes the refs, but to have to compete against your own coaches on top of that is quite literally a recipe for failure and ineptitude.
:bravo:

DeezNutz
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Dear Mr. Fax,

Based on your posts, you seem like a swell fellow, so I offer this advice with nothing but your best interest in mind: Do NOT watch any tape of this weekend's game and please don't continue to think about the game. I've been in the belly of the beast and have managed to survive, but ohhhhh the horror, the horror. Unfortunately, though, we've lost some of our best planeteers. Rain Man might never be the same...Don't willingly follow this path.

FAX
11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys. I continue to feel strongly that Croyle has the makings of an excellent NFL quarterback and I was worried about the whole "handcuffs" thing.

Based on the plays that were executed, it looked like we were still not stretching the field and that we maintained our predictability on first down. Also, to a large extent, there was still a tendency to run or throw the short pass in long yardage situations. I had expected something a little different after the QB switch.

Herm said in a press conference last week that he told Brodie the best thing he could do for his head coach was play with a "smile on his face". I interpreted this statement as trying to take the pressure off the young QB. What Herm apparently doesn't understand is that Brodie would feel much less "pressure" if he were allowed to play his game - which is to air it out and score some friggin' touchdowns.

FAX

kaplin42
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys. I continue to feel strongly that Croyle has the makings of an excellent NFL quarterback and I was worried about the whole "handcuffs" thing.

Based on the plays that were executed, it looked like we were still not stretching the field and that we maintained our predictability on first down. Also, to a large extent, there was still a tendency to run or throw the short pass in long yardage situations. I had expected something a little different after the QB switch.

Herm said in a press conference last week that he told Brodie the best thing he could do for his head coach was play with a "smile on his face". I interpreted this statement as trying to take the pressure off the young QB. What Herm apparently doesn't understand is that Brodie would feel much less "pressure" if he were allowed to play his game - which is to air it out and score some friggin' touchdowns.

FAX

I think it was in the middle of the 3rd quarter, or perhaps the start of the 4th, after ANOTHER run to the left on 1st down, one of the announcers said "The Chiefs should think about changing up on 1st down, the defense is keying on the fact that they are running it."

Seriously, the game plan, and play calling was depressing, and I would not blame the veterans on the offense to sit out. If the coaches aren't even gonna try, why should the players.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 12:06 PM

FAX
Actually, the last thing Brodie looked was spooked. He's as cool as a cucumber, ice in the veins, Montana-like. Seriously. He was asked by the KC media after the game if he was nervous. He looked kinda surprised to be asked that and calmly said, "no." This guy does not need a leash!

FAX
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I think it was in the middle of the 3rd quarter, or perhaps the start of the 4th, after ANOTHER run to the left on 1st down, one of the announcers said "The Chiefs should think about changing up on 1st down, the defense is keying on the fact that they are running it." ...

ROFL

This has passed ridiculous on the right and is well on its way to insanity, Mr. kaplin42. Surely to God, Herm can come to understand what everyone else already knows.

Then again ... I think we said that around week one or so.

FAX

FAX
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Actually, the last thing Brodie looked was spooked. He's as cool as a cucumber, ice in the veins, Montana-like. Seriously. He was asked by the KC media after the game if he was nervous. He looked kinda surprised to be asked that and calmly said, "no." This guy does not need a leash!

Anyone who watched him play in college will tell you that worrying about his toughness, composure, and desire is wasted energy, Mr. KCJohnny. I've never understood those concerns. Getting up to game speed? Sure. Learning how to read NFL defenses? Absolutely. Those things can be expected to take time, but he's mentally tough - he had to be behind that excuse of an oline at Bama.

My main concern at this point is that Herm, Curly, and Mo will gut his game. If they do, it will be just another example of the Chiefs wasting good talent for no good reason.

FAX

HemiEd
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Herm's "Brother" got a much needed victory however.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Anyone who watched him play in college will tell you that worrying about his toughness, composure, and desire is wasted energy, Mr. KCJohnny. I've never understood those concerns. Getting up to game speed? Sure. Learning how to read NFL defenses? Absolutely. Those things can be expected to take time, but he's mentally tough - he had to be behind that excuse of an oline at Bama.

My main concern at this point is that Herm, Curly, and Mo will gut his game. If they do, it will be just another example of the Chiefs wasting good talent for no good reason.

FAX

Here's where Carl can actually do some good. The knock on CP is that he can't win the big one and that he can't draft and develop a champinship QB. Carl, go out and get Brodie some weapons. Lethal weapons. Then tell Herm that BucBall is for teams that don't have good QBs. We have a good QB.

I am very impressed by Brodie's character, leadership, poise and self-confidence.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Dude, if you ever wondered how an NFL team runs the draw play to perfection, watch yesterday's game. The Chiefs broke many records in the little known "draw" category. I couldn't be prouder. Hopefully Canton will hold a special ceremony.

HemiEd
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Dude, if you ever wondered how an NFL team runs the draw play to perfection, watch yesterday's game. The Chiefs broke many records in the little known "draw" category. I couldn't be prouder. Hopefully Canton will hold a special ceremony.

ROFL You just reminded me of all the Chiefs Planet bitching about the Offensive records claimed by the Chiefs. It was less than two years ago IIRC.