PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs win TOP and D dominates - any connection?

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Indy - 27:37
KC - 32:23

The Chief's D stayed fresh (whatever that means) until the final drive. Is there really a connection between an offense that can stay on the field and a defense that plays agressively?

We gave up just 214 yards of total offense to a team playing at home that was averaging 389 yds a game.

Was a Chiefs O that held onto the ball just a pinch more than usual a part of that dominance?

FringeNC
11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
We were always near the top of the league in TOP under Vermeil. It has dropped big-time since our offense has been Herminated.

CoMoChief
11-19-2007, 11:24 AM
3 things:

Turnovers, and bad playcalling on offense, and missed FG's.

In Herms style of play you MUST have a FG kicker that is money, otherwise watching the game can be a nightmare because Herm only wants FG's.

WE've only scored 13 TDs in 10 games. That right there should tell you something.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
We were always near the top of the league in TOP under Vermeil. It has dropped big-time since our offense has been Herminated.
QFT

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
KC has more 3 and outs than any other NFL team. I think what we saw yesterday (yes, this is homervision) was that if the O can make just a few 1st downs, this D can be downright nasty.

Mr. Laz
QFT again ....... because i think some people refuse to comprehend.

chagrin
any connection to what, us losing? Hmmm...

Mr. Laz
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
KC has more 3 and outs than any other NFL team. I think what we saw yesterday (yes, this is homervision) was that if the O can make just a few 1st downs, this D can be downright nasty.
spoken like a true martyball disciple

run the offense from a defensive point of view :banghead:

FAX
11-19-2007, 11:32 AM
3 things:

Turnovers, and bad playcalling on offense, and missed FG's.

In Herms style of play you MUST have a FG kicker that is money, otherwise watching the game can be a nightmare because Herm only wants FG's.

WE've only scored 13 TDs in 10 games. That right there should tell you something.

Yepperoobies.

FAX

Mr. Laz
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Yepperoobies.

FAX
did someone say 'boobies'?

:)

Micjones
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Herm's philosophy will never lead him to a Lombardi.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
spoken like a true martyball disciple

run the offense from a defensive point of view :banghead:

Not exactly. Although I see how you could arrive at that conclusion.

We ran 27 pass and 27 run plays yesterday. Although our rushing was http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/icons/poop-icon.gif, it burned clock, kept the Peytons off the field, and gave us a chance to win. I don't recall having a 5 minute advantage in TOP in any game this year.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Not exactly. Although I see how you could arrive at that conclusion.

We ran 27 pass and 27 run plays yesterday. Although our rushing was http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/icons/poop-icon.gif, it burned clock, kept the Peytons off the field, and gave us a chance to win. I don't recall having a 5 minute advantage in TOP in any game this year.
how many of those passes were beyond 5 yards?

Reerun_KC
11-19-2007, 11:52 AM

Not getting to the DV/Herm arguement.

But how many td's did we have in 2006 through the first 10 games?

StcChief
11-19-2007, 11:52 AM
and 1 min before half time were gimmees that we didn't use or do anything :banghead:

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
how many of those passes were beyond 5 yards?

The topic addresses relationship between TOP and defensive effectiveness. I agree, leashing Croyle was counter-productive, but keeping the Peytons off the field seems to have worked to our advantage. I also agree with StcChief that wasting our final possession of the 1st half was throwing up a white flag and demoralizing to the team. Sure could have used 1:15 and 3 TOs on our final possession.

BigRock
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
We were always near the top of the league in TOP under Vermeil.
That'll happen when the other offense only needs a minute and a half for an 80 yard TD drive.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
That'll happen when the other offense only needs a minute and a half for an 80 yard TD drive.

ROFL

steelyeyed57
11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't understand why everybody seems to feel so good that we lost, but it was close. Losing is losing whether you keep it close or not. Eventually, to win games, you have to stick your neck out and try and score some points whether it benefits the defense or not. I'm sure the defense appreciated keeping Manning off the field, but wouldn't they have appreciated a lead even more?

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't understand why everybody seems to feel so good that we lost, but it was close. Losing is losing whether you keep it close or not. Eventually, to win games, you have to stick your neck out and try and score some points whether it benefits the defense or not. I'm sure the defense appreciated keeping Manning off the field, but wouldn't they have appreciated a lead even more?

We don't good that we lost. We feel good that we didn't get mauled with a brand new QB in his first start ever on the road against the world champs.

True, points were what we needed, but we have been getting poor TOP all year (KC Leads the NFL in 3-and-outs). I was just asking the Q on whether an offense that can stay on the field longer benefits a D teetering between good and dominant. Yesterday they were dominant.

Fruit Ninja
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
We don't good that we lost. We feel good that we didn't get mauled with a brand new QB in his first start ever on the road against the world champs.

Speak for your ****ing self. I do not feel good at all. I feel sick. I would have had an easier time if we got our asses handed to us. Like one of them "supposed' Players said. I can handle losing, but i cant handle not trying. The offensive playcalling didnt allowed for the team to pull ahead. This is 2 weeks in a row imo that the offensive coaches cost the Chiefs a victory. We should be 6-4 with alot of confidence. Instead we are 4-6 with a locker room of upset all players.

Calcountry
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
The topic addresses relationship between TOP and defensive effectiveness. I agree, leashing Croyle was counter-productive, but keeping the Peytons off the field seems to have worked to our advantage. I also agree with StcChief that wasting our final possession of the 1st half was throwing up a white flag and demoralizing to the team. Sure could have used 1:15 and 3 TOs on our final possession.My TIVO failed for some reason, to record the game yesterday. I was able to tune in just in time to see the final drive. Seriously, was there anything more that I needed to see to know which was the better team?

A loss is a loss, whether you have lots of fun at the "circus" and can't force a team to punt once, or, if you can't pass on first down, control the clock, bore everyone to tears, and your D can't stop them when it is money time?

The Patriots know how to assemble, coach, and play football.

They are as greedy, on both sides of the ball, as a High School team that is running up the score to get ranked nationally. That is what the goal should be for every team in the league, not some bullshit excuse that running up the score is "arena league", and the Offense needs to not score so the Defense doesn't have to go back out there so soon and get tired bullshit. If the D wants to get the fug out of there, how bout some three and outs against the other team. Screw them if they can't keep doing it every time their on the field.

The O's job is to fuggin SCORE TOUCHDOWNS, not pansy ass FG's. Herm should get a real life clue about this. Every rule change in Regards to FG's, since the 70's, has been introduced to discourage this antiquated archaic boring ass type of gameplan from being produced on a football field! They use to have the Goalposts on the Goal line. The ball use to be returned or spotted at the 20 on missed kicks. Then it was spotted on the LOS or 20 whichever was better for the receiving team, then they went all out and made it spotted at the spot of the hold on missed kicks.

KNOCK KNOCK HERM! Is there anybody in there? We have to score TOUCHDOWNS to compete in this league and more than one of them please.

Chief Faithful
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Think about what we saw: 1. a good strong armed young QB prove he really is the QBOTF, which this team has never had. 2. a dominate young receiver like this team has not seen since Otis Taylor. 3. a good young defense that is only a couple CB's away from being dominate for years to come. There is much to be positive about as a Chiefs fan.

Very good the team has more 3 and outs, but that does not win the game unless the offense can use the extra downs to score points.

As Croyle matures and the offense demonstrates execution on the field I think they will open the play book. I just want them to take advantage of Croyle's arm now by opening the play book to the chapter on downfield passing.

Calcountry
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't understand why everybody seems to feel so good that we lost, but it was close. Losing is losing whether you keep it close or not. Eventually, to win games, you have to stick your neck out and try and score some points whether it benefits the defense or not. I'm sure the defense appreciated keeping Manning off the field, but wouldn't they have appreciated a lead even more?Or keep on praying for a pick 6.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Think about what we saw: 1. a good strong armed young QB prove he really is the QBOTF, which this team has never had. 2. a dominate young receiver like this team has not seen since Otis Taylor. 3. a good young defense that is only a couple CB's away from being dominate for years to come. There is much to be positive about as a Chiefs fan.

Very good the team has more 3 and outs, but that does not win the game unless the offense can use the extra downs to score points.

As Croyle matures and the offense demonstrates execution on the field I think they will open the play book. I just want them to take advantage of Croyle's arm now by opening the play book to the chapter on downfield passing.

Chief Faithful the OFFENSE has more 3-and-outs...

:(

Amen on the first 3 points!