PDA

View Full Version : Clayton said Chiefs real excited about Mayes, look to sign 2 WR's...

DaWolf
07-02-2001, 06:53 PM
Clayton said on NFL2Night that the Chiefs had Mayes in and he was svelte and making quick cuts and that had them real excited. Also said that they liked Charlie Jones, who looked real quick, and Dar Dar was in too. SAid look for them to sign two of these guys. We'll see...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-02-2001, 06:55 PM
Doh!

:D

keg in kc
07-02-2001, 07:02 PM
Good, as much as I'm a fan of giving the young guys a shot, I believe we need at least one veteran to go along with DA, as long as there is still competition for the spots. I think it's asking way, way too much of Minnis, Klemic or either of the Halls to expect any or all of them to play like they're savvy NFL veterans from the first snap of training camp...

KCJohnny
07-02-2001, 07:05 PM
Do the words 'Brett Perriman' ring a bell?
Let's hope whomever is signed, they can actually make the team.
KCJ
Had gotten all excited about Charlie Joiner's youth movement which now will probably be set back a couple years...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-02-2001, 07:08 PM
There's that great optimism again by Johnny "positive" Proctor!!!...:D

keg in kc
07-02-2001, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the youth movement, John. Vermeil has had nothing but glowing praise for Minnis, Klemic and J.J. Moses, and, in any event, even if Mayes is rostered September 9th (and I think he should be, veteran depth is key, even in a youth movement - it helps the learning curve) we will still have the 3rd and 4th wide receiver positions open, so someone (Minnis?) young will likely still play a big part in 2001.

Plus, we just plain need some veteran WRs for training camp. We have one wide receiver with significant NFL experience on our entire roster right now, that being DA (I outlined this on another post somewhere yesterday...).

DaWolf
07-02-2001, 07:18 PM
Depth and experience is never a negative. And we're going to be using so many WR's in this offense we need all the depth we can get, and experience in how to get off the line and make cuts at the NFL level. If the kids are good in camp they will get PT. However, it is unrealistic to believe that the kids can remain healthy or not hit the wall through a full NFL season. On top of that, if a guy like DA gets one of those nagging injuries that affected him the first couple of years, we need someone to step in...

Cannibal
07-02-2001, 07:27 PM
Derrick Mayes... *yawn*

Just another third tier free agent signing.

Let me know when we sign a real player [some day].

I'd rather see Minnis thrown into the fire.

KCJohnny
07-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Cody:
I see you have not read my latest column.
Thanks for the slam, though!
Ciao!
KCJ

CanadaKC
07-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Having gone to a couple of games in Seattle last year, I wouldn't
want Derrick Mayes on our team. Yeah, the guy runs good routes, but he's slow and a bad blocker. If we want speed,
he's not our man. And he may be svelt, but this guy's an injury
waiting to happen. Remember, there's a REASON Holmgren cut Mayes loose after seeing so much of him in Green Bay and Seattle.

DaWolf
07-02-2001, 11:46 PM
I highly doubt that there are going to be any first tier free agent signings available the rest of the offseason. After the first month all the proime guys were gone anyway, so whatever we get now is someone else's trash. There is no one available that is perfect. But if they can contribute and if they can provide depth and if they come cheap, I'm all for it...

Rausch
07-02-2001, 11:48 PM
If he REALLY IS the best of what's left, I'm all for him playing here....

Were there any interesting or impressive XFL or NFL Europe wr's out there last year?...Not one?

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 12:00 AM
Nobody who hasn't yet been signed that I know of, Brad, although we had two players (both Halls) who performed okay in NFLE.

We can complain all we want, that isn't going to make all the other teams release players we might want. The only possibility not discussed here that I can think of is to try and get Glenn away from NE. Other than that, it's basically Mayes or nothing, and if those are the only choices, I take Mayes...

There's a chance someone decent might be cut from a WR-rich team prior to the start of the season, but we need vets in camp.

Rausch
07-03-2001, 12:07 AM
Not to be a smart arse or anything, but Morris was a rookie last year.

How does loosing him cause us to need another vet?

It wasn't like the guy had 8 years of NFL experience....

Plus, I'd rather have 3 unproven youngsters with potential than 1 Derrick Mayes.....

Of course, by now Mayes probably IS the best option...

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 12:43 AM
We didn't just lose SlyMo, Brad, we lost Kevin Lockett also.

Last season we had three experienced receivers going into training camp, Alexander, Lockett (a 3 year vet at the time with 50+ receptions) and Andre Rison.

This year we have Derrick Alexander. That's it. Nobody on the team other than Mikhael Ricks (now a TE) and Chris Thomas have played any significant amount of time as a WR.

Joe Seahawk
07-03-2001, 12:55 AM
Great hands...bad work ethic...Probably the best available receiver, other than Terry Glenn.

Holmgren is tired of his program.

Not a team player, he needs to be the star, even though he runs a 4-7 40 and cant block to save his life....:)

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 01:00 AM
Yeah, Joe, that pretty much reflects what I think about him; I don't want him, exactly, but I think we need to have some experienced depth, and I just don't know who else there is to get. I'd take a look at Glenn, but he has attitude problems as well, and isn't a free agent (yet) anyway. Other than that, there's just not much out there, and that's put us into a bad situation.

Joe Seahawk
07-03-2001, 01:14 AM
We need a veteran receiver as bad as you do, and Holmgren would not even consider Mayes, or Dawkins for that matter...Just not much out there right now....

Rice choosing Oakland hurt the hawks more than it will help the Raiders...jq called it back in April the bastige told me Rice would be a Raider...I hate when that sumbitch keeps calling the accurate shots! Koren Robinson a Seahawk...yep, jq called it back in february (actually that is one prediction I'm happy about)

So jq, who's going to win the Superbowl?..!!DONT ANSWER THAT!...Who will win the pac-10....:)

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 01:34 AM
I'd actually say you need a vet receiver even more than we do. I like Darrell Jackson as much as the next guy, but he's got a tough road to hoe. I had forgotten just how inexperienced your offense is (buying into all the preseason "expert" hype I guess...) when you couple the WR situation with the inexperience of Hasselbeck.

Joe Seahawk
07-03-2001, 01:41 AM
Luckily, we have a good solid O-line and a running game to support Hass...Our depth at the receiver position is a HUGE question mark.

In Holmy I trust...(at least until we post a 10-6 2001 season)

or so....Joe

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 01:51 AM
Yeah, the thing you're really missing, though, is a safety valve for Hasslebeck, either a vet receiver or TE.

Jerry, oh Jerry, where are you when Joe needs you!

Joe Seahawk
07-03-2001, 02:00 AM
Heath Evans...The kid is a stud!...Plus Ricky has been known to catch a hot pass or two....Rice would have been nice, but Robinson is loaded with potential...blah-blah-blah....Lets play some FOOTBALL...:)

week 2 will be a sad day in Kansas City....:)...Joe

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 02:10 AM
Week 2 will be sad only because KC wins 31-10, and too many people bet the "over" :D

Joe Seahawk
07-03-2001, 02:13 AM
I forgot all about this guy.

Jones makes his mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 2, 2001
NFL Europe

HEADING into World Bowl IX, Berlin wide receiver Dwaune Jones felt he and his fellow Thunder wideouts could have a big impact on the NFL Europe League championship game.

The Seattle Seahawks allocated wide receiver almost proved to be prophetic in his pre-game statements as he caught 6 passes for 161 yards and 2 touchdowns, while Ahmad Merritt added 5 receptions for 41 yards and a 17-yard touchdown catch.

Demetrius Brown and Joerg Heckenbach complete the receiving corps and they combined for 6 catches for another 42 yards.

Jones' touchdowns came on 46 and 53-yard bombs from Jonathan Quinn - the latter coming late in the game to give the Thunder a 24-17 victory over the Barcelona Dragons in front of 32,116 fans at the Amsterdam ArenA.

"This is a great feeling to lift the World Bowl, said Jones. "I thought we had the best receiving corps in NFL Europe and I think we proved that in this game.

"We were pumped up going into the game and it was great playing with Jonathan Quinn. I knew if I kept getting open he would get me the ball.

"Jonathan is a high-calibre quarterback and he's going to do well in the NFL this season. I love playing with him and he's the best quarterback I ever played with."

Jones' stunning performance in World Bowl IX capped a wonderful season for the speedy wideout. Jones caught 33 passes for 577 yards and 5 touchdowns, ensuring he will be full of confidence heading into training camp with the Seahawks.

Joe Seahawk
07-03-2001, 02:30 AM
We had one of the worst defenses of all time last year...And we still played well enough to win at Arrowhead ....frikkin Kitna! But seriously, With Walter Jones, Steve Hutchison, chris gray, Floyd wedderburn, and Chris McIntosh on the line..And Ricky and shaun at tb and Evans at fb the running game should be good enough to make Proctor...well...oh never mind.

Hass knows the offense better than Kitna did/does. I can honestly say that the offense is not my concern.

Randle, Eaton, Kirkland ,Robertson...All unknowns to me (as far as how they will perform this year) ...

In Mike I must trust....:)

hawaiianboy
07-03-2001, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Joe Seahawk

Rice choosing Oakland hurt the hawks more than it will help the Raiders...jq called it back in April the bastige told me Rice would be a Raider...I hate when that sumbitch keeps calling the accurate shots! Koren Robinson a Seahawk...yep, jq called it back in february (actually that is one prediction I'm happy about)

So jq, who's going to win the Superbowl?..!!DONT ANSWER THAT!...Who will win the pac-10....:)
=========

I always cheer the Huskies even though I can't stand the coach.... but I think USC will be the team to beat this season with Norm Chow working his magic at O-coordinator.....

Rice to Oakland was from June Jones.... I took alot of flack on the Raider board for saying 1) we would sign Rice 2) saying I preferred Rice over Dre and that Dre should not be brought back.....

Koren has the skills to be great... and the future Big 3 of Koren, Alexander and Hass looks very promising.... I really like the offensive line the Walrus has put together... I think we'll see a much improved and dangerous 'Hawk team this year...... Maybe you won't need a Bull sh*t call from the refs to beat us this year....

Otter
07-03-2001, 06:38 AM
My take on the receiver situations is this:

The only possibility out of any the receivers mentioned of coming in and making a difference is Terry Glenn. If, and I stress if, he becomes available then the Chiefs probably arenít going to get him anyway. The market for good WRs is a big one and the Chiefs simply canít compete with most teams because of their salary cap position.

Besides Mayes there is not much out there. I remember Donald Hayes from the Panthers became a free agent and was doing really well and improving year after year. Anybody know if he signed with anybody? If he is still free he is definitely worth a look.

Joe,

I predict the Haws to finish 2nd in the AFC west this year. Their improved defense and their running game will win a couple and Hasselback is definitely an improvement over Kitna. Plus I think the walrus is going to start bringing it all together this year.

For what its worth, I picked the AFC perfectly last year.

ChiTown
07-03-2001, 08:50 AM
JQ

Are you a SC fan?? If so, care to make a wager on the the K-State v. USC game on Sept 8th??

Let me know

Chi

~Always looking to make a quick buck

htismaqe
07-03-2001, 09:18 AM
I'd much rather have Charlie Jones than Mayes. He's been a starter in the league. He's quick, and he doesn't have any attitude problems to speak of...

MrBlond
07-03-2001, 09:43 AM
I would hate to sign Mayes now and find someone better after training camp cuts. Mayes would be a panic signing and we all know how those have turned out.

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 09:53 AM
Signing Mayes now should in no way preclude signing another player released during training camp; we would simply cut him if he doesn't work out or if someone better comes along. Since he has gotten no interest whatsoever from any other NFL teams, I doubt seriously he'll be getting much of a signing bonus from us.

hawaiianboy
07-03-2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ChiTown
JQ

Are you a SC fan?? If so, care to make a wager on the the K-State v. USC game on Sept 8th??

Let me know

Chi

~Always looking to make a quick buck
=======

WOW!!!

K-State is playing someone of substance before the end of October??

What happened Ball St,North-Southeast Carolina and Boston Air Conditioning University were all booked up??
========
Nah, not a USC fan... I just think that Norm Chow can do for Carson Palmer, Sultan McCullough and Kareem Kelly what he did all those years at BYU and last year at NC State... especially in the no defense playing Pac 10....

I'm always up for a wager though ... get back to me the week of the game as right now I have no idea what kind of squad K-State has...

PunkinDrublic
07-03-2001, 03:45 PM
It's hard hard for me to believe anything Clayton says I mean how is this guy an NFL expert he looks more like a waterboy. This guy has probably spent more time getting his head flushed down the toilet then he has being around football. Seriously one look at the guy and I'm thinking about the last time I had to go to H&R Block to do my taxes.