PDA

View Full Version : Ben Stein on Christmas

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu . If people want a crèche, it's just as fine with me, as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution, and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica, but we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show, and Jane Clayson asked her "How could God let something like this happen?" (regarding Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response.
She said, "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"

In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc., I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.
Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it...no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards.
Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein

Demonpenz
11-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Ted Nugent?

Hydrae
11-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Interesting rant, especially considering the original poster.

DaKCMan AP
11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Murders, natural disasters, and other bad things didn't happen decades ago. :rolleyes:

chasedude
11-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Do you believe in God.... Buehler?... Buehler?

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Ted Nugent? WTF?

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Interesting rant, especially considering the original poster.

ROFL OK

Lancetastic
11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting your forwards here. Especially the ones that are a hoax.

http://www.benstein.com/121805xmas.html

JBucc
11-19-2007, 12:26 PM

http://www.benstein.com/121805xmas.htmlThe first part is real, the last part is fake. http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

Lancetastic
11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
The first part is real, the last part is fake. http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

Thus my posting the real content...

rageeumr
11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
WTF?

I believe that is in reference to the fact that about half of email forwards with outrageous quotes or stories seem to be attributed to Ted Nugent. The other half are Robin Williams.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:29 PM

http://www.benstein.com/121805xmas.html

Before your 66 posting ass starts trying to regulate what gets posted here maybe you should figure it out yourself first.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
I believe that is in reference to the fact that about half of email forwards with outrageous quotes or stories seem to be attributed to Ted Nugent. The other half are Robin Williams.

I snoped it before I posted it. He has also had some great quotes about our military before as well.

Mr. Plow
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Pwned.

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Ted Nugent?

Robin Williams.

Are you laughing?

Why yes, yes I am.

Consider it payback for the god-awful screenplay you wrote for the 80's miniseries "Amerika" Mr. Stein.

Great concept, but Ben...ya screwed the pooch. For that, I'll now laugh at your pain. :)

|Zach|
Inbox philosophers unite.

the Talking Can
Ted Nugent?

nope, George Carlin

JBucc
Thus my posting the real content...Listen Mister!

Cochise
11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Robin Williams.

Why yes, yes I am.

Consider it payback for the god-awful screenplay you wrote for the 80's miniseries "Amerika" Mr. Stein.

Great concept, but Ben...ya screwed the pooch. For that, I'll now laugh at your pain. :)

I bet it was better than that plodding preach-fest the day after though.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Inbox philosophers unite.

You shouldn't feel this is a threat to Zachback mountain. Tell ya what, give me your address and I'll send ya a butt plug for christmas to make it up to you.

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 12:38 PM
You shouldn't feel this is a threat to Zachback mountain. Tell ya what, give me your address and I'll send ya a butt plug for christmas to make it up to you.
WTF is a butt plug?

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:44 PM
WTF is a butt plug?

ROFL

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I bet it was better than that plodding preach-fest the day after though.

To quote the immortal John Bender, "Not even close...bud!". ;)

The Day After (while tedious) was over in 2 hours, and had the wonderful benefit of seeing the town of Lawrence, Kansas slowly die of radiation poisioning.

Luckilly, KC was hit by 2-3 large warheads, so it was over very quickly for us. :)

I didn't notice much anti-nuke talk (preaching) in the Day After. Just showing the effect a nuclear strike would have on places near a Major Metro area, but I haven't seen it in years. There well could have been a speech or three bemoaning the insanity that caused the attacks. I don't recall. :shrug:

Meanwhile, Ben Stein's half-baked propaganda abortion (while a great concept) clocked in at over 11 hours sans commericals (Aired over 7 nights). The majority of that 11 hours was devoted to lingering "looking forlorn" shots of the cast members, as melancholy music played.

Even worse, the "Hero" was Kris freaking Kristofferson? ROFL

Neither was a prize, but I found "The Day After" far less excruciating. I stuck with Amerika thinking it had to get better.....kind of like the '96 Chiefs season. I won't say Ben Stein stole those hours of my life, as I watched willingly. That said, it was a bad enough experience I'll laugh at the mans pain the rest of my days in revenge. :p

Lancetastic
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Before your 66 posting ass starts trying to regulate what gets posted here maybe you should figure it out yourself first.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

An email forward was posted with content attributed to a person that did not actually write it. Just because it contains some authentic content does not make the whole thing accurate and I wanted to dispel that notion.

Regarding my "66 posting ass", well I suppose if I posted every spam forward sent to me, I might have a higher count too.

Saulbadguy
11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I kind of wondered why I was agreeing with Ben Stein up until that part of it.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
An email forward was posted with content attributed to a person that did not actually write it. Just because it contains some authentic content does not make the whole thing accurate and I wanted to dispel that notion.

Regarding my "66 posting ass", well I suppose if I posted every spam forward sent to me, I might have a higher count too.

You one of Jitard's friends?

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I kind of wondered why I was agreeing with Ben Stein up until that part of it.
Let the inbox philosophers bestow knowledge upon you.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I think the point was people get tired of the PC crowd pushing god our of everything. I know I do. That was the only reason I posted it.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Let the inbox philosophers bestow knowledge upon you.

You really should come out of the closet dude.

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I think the point was people get tired of the PC crowd pushing god our of everything. I know I do. That was the only reason I posted it.
Thats pretty reasonable.

You should have just said it.

Cochise
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I didn't notice much anti-nuke talk (preaching) in the Day After.

The first thing that jumps into my mind is Jason Robards muttering something about "Is this our legacy?" and for no reason, a burned up kid sits up right in front of the camera and screams.

I found it to be good campy fun though.

BigRedChief
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
nope, George Carlin
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by Demonpenz
Ted Nugent? <HR SIZE=1>

Nope, Andy Rooney:harumph:

Saulbadguy
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
It's not that big of a deal if someone says "Happy Holidays" in lieu of "Merry Christmas". Thanks for kicking off this topic early.

Demonpenz
11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I hate the politically correct trying keep church and state seperate. i guess those people are the new wave hippie liberals we have come to loathe in the 21st centery. They take our dogs, guns, and 5 ounces of jimmy dean sausage

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 01:31 PM
It's not that big of a deal if someone says "Happy Holidays" in lieu of "Merry Christmas". Thanks for kicking off this topic early.
What's wrong with people saying whatever they want. You want to say "happy holidays" knock yourself out. I want to say "Merry Christmas" who are you to tell me I can't?

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 01:32 PM
What's wrong with people saying whatever they want. You want to say "happy holidays" knock yourself out. I want to say "Merry Christmas" who are you to tell me I can't?
Is there an instance or example of somewhere you couldn't say Merry Christmas?

Ari Chi3fs
11-19-2007, 01:48 PM
WTF is a butt plug?

Its a mizzou fans pacifier.

Demonpenz
11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Its a mizzou fans pacifier.

vin diesel?

Sully
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
With the Christmas music beginning earlier, the holiday displays inching further and further into the fall, and the lights even going up on house4s already in my neighborhood, I was giddy at the prospect of waiting for the first "Christmas is under attack!!!!" thread. I wasn't disappointed.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Is there an instance or example of somewhere you couldn't say Merry Christmas?

I was simply responding. The Christ in Christmas has been on trial for some time now in this country. There are many examples of it posted every year right here at your mountain.

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok ok. I just have to say this first…I am a satanist…..oh what now christains (ur next)!!! Even though i can tell in everyway this is fake its funny as hell, but it has been given more thought than some of the other “fake” religions going around. I dont know why this was created because my person views see christains take there religion form paganism, Eygption Gods, and even for Roman Myths. I think mocking a religion is horrilbe in any form ( that means ge off my back christains!!!). So this is kinda like a F you to christains on ur side, but from me to you i think you lost you mind if you believe this. If you cant see or even detect it how did it come to be known? Pirates have been proven to be thieves and they still are today (which is more prof), and the fact about the natural world, hurricanes and ect. are getting worse because the world population is increasing rapidly. So before you start saying stuff that doesnt make since like christains that are against gay marrige you better look more it the facts than wha you believe.

-Blake

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh how I wish I could drive to u. Take all ur pasta away.

nicole

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I’m trying to be open minded, but when I looked at your “evidence” all you had was people’s opinions. That’s all fine and well, but I need a little more proof than that. You can’t just go around making up new religions and shoving it down people’s throats.

Tina

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
the Society is watching your activities with concern, as it includes:
- Active denial of HIS creation
- Active violation of the first commandment
- Implicit support for the cainitic and other heretical, blashemical or ungodly incarnations.

Therefore, the brothers of the Society have set you on the list of possible hunting targets.
You should revise your activities show that you are not tainted by the devil or work under influence of the Wyrm, as some brothers suggested.

We will keep an I on you. Should the unholy blasphemy continue, a well guided blade may find your throat at any time.

Be aware.
The Society of L.

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I like what use guys do but most of the time, you just bring up crap. You love to make comments on people’s hate mail, fair enough its their fault for caring about your pitiful cult.
-reflector

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I am worried that perhaps your religion is not based on real evidence that God wrote.

God bless,
Cinta

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
anyways stop making up these stories and get real!!!!
gets really annoying!!!
your making the world even more havoc than usual!!!

<3 C.H.

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Take head, the day of judgement is near …

~MS. KESHA~

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I’ve never been one to bash other people’s religions, but I just think that what you have started is ridiculous.

-Chelsey

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Is that all you got borracho? LMAO

el borracho
11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
There are more but I didn't want the joke to get too played out. ;)

mikey23545
11-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I can't believe Liberals haven't imprisoned everyone that thinks like Stein yet.

Oh, wait....That probably happens after Mrs. Bill Clinton gets elected.

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I can't believe Liberals haven't imprisoned everyone that thinks like Stein yet.

Is there any place you can't say Merry Christmas?

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 03:16 PM

I've never had anyone jump me for wishing them a "Merry Christmas", but I've had some yammerheads give me grief for saying "Happy Holidays". :shrug:

Oh, and **ck Ben Stein. But not for the fake "war on xmas" crap. It's about as real as the Wiccans who complain about the "war on Samhain".

This year I'm taking a page from Vlad:

"Happy feast of Sol Invictus, Everyone".

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 03:18 PM
I've never had anyone jump me for wishing them a "Merry Christmas", but I've sure had some yammerheads give me grief for saying "Happy Holidays". :shrug:

Oh, and **ck Ben Stein. But not for the fake "war on xmas" crap. ;)
I ran into a lot of problems like that when I worked for a national corporate retailer. Kind of a headache. But funny at times.

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I ran into a lot of problems like that when I worked for a national corporate retailer. Kind of a headache. But funny at times.

Thankfully I've not had to deal with the public in a retail situation for many years.

I can imagine, though. The three or four times I've been hassled for saying "Happy Holidays" is from some yammerhead in line with me, who takes exception to me greeting the cashier that way.

Each time it happens I just say "Have a nice Yule", and then ignore them.

RedDread
11-19-2007, 03:28 PM

If you're a true social Liberal then you could give a crap less what anyone believes as long as their right to practice it is protected and not enforced on the general population by law.

Oh and along those same lines, I could give a crap less what e-mails you're receiving but please keep your inbox spam off my lounge.

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Thankfully I've not had to deal with the public in a retail situation for many years.

I can imagine, though. The three or four times I've been hassled to saying "Happy Holidays" is from some yammerhead in line with me, who takes exception to me greeting the cashier that way.

Everytime it happens I just say "Have a nice Yule", and ignore them.
I had a particular instance where I got in trouble. I used to do the happy holidays thing. So I said this to someone as they left...he turns around and basically says its a shame that he can't go back here because he has enjoyed shopping there for years. I looked at him a bit confused not connecting what he was talking about. He talked about how he thinks its terrible that they are pushing god out of so and so. My mind was rolling its eyes but I just did the customer service thing basically saying apologizing that he felt that way and hoping he came back to shop with us in the future. It seemed like he was going to walk out at that point and then he came back and wanted to debate the issue as a whole. I should have kept my mouth shut but it wasn't like I was in some dream job. I basically told him I didn't understand how this place could do anything to get in between him and is spirituality or hinder it in any form. I kept thinking to myself, you can do anything you want man...say Merry Christmas until the cows come home. Thats fine. Nobody from this store is trying to tell you what to do...

The manager overheard and wasn't too happy. Thats ok, I should have just shut up.

But when I hear all this come up all I can do is role my eyes. Because it is all so fake and not representative of an actual problem. It is these little shallow things that mean nothing. In this country you are free to worship as you wish. Thats one of the best things about this country. Macy's and Office Depot can't change that.

BIG_DADDY
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
If you're a true social Liberal then you could give a crap less what anyone believes as long as their right to practice it is protected and not enforced on the general population by law.

Oh and along those same lines, I could give a crap less what e-mails you're receiving but please keep your inbox spam off my lounge.

FU, here's another one on the real hero's by Ben Stein.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein.asp

irishjayhawk
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Anyone who thinks Christmas is about any god or religious figure thereof has obviously been asleep for the last, umm, 50+ years.

Christmas = Consumas

Demonpenz
11-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I wonder how people who get worked up over merry christmas get through everyday life. Life is going to kick your ass. If you let "merry christmas" bother you how the hell are you going to react if your wife leaves you, or you get fired, your parents realitives get cancer and you have to take care of them. Big Deal people who get worked up over stupid shit are going to have a nice piece of shit pie delivered to their doorstep one day and they will wish that the only thing they had to worry about is a fat guy from a small town wishing them a merry ****ing christmas asshole!

irishjayhawk
11-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I wonder how people who get worked up over merry christmas get through everyday life. Life is going to kick your ass. If you let "merry christmas" bother you how the hell are you going to react if your wife leaves you, or you get fired, your parents realitives get cancer and you have to take care of them. Big Deal people who get worked up over stupid shit are going to have a nice piece of shit pie delivered to their doorstep one day and they will wish that the only thing they had to worry about is a fat guy from a small town wishing them a merry ****ing christmas asshole!

That's why I don't mind it at all. See my post above. It's more Consumas than anything else.

Micjones
11-19-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm Christian and I personally don't mind anyone substituting "Happy Holidays" for "Merry Christmas". I mean... There's so much more to be concerned about.

People need to quit.
Pushing God out does suck. But so does pushing God on people.

mikey23545
11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm Christian and I personally don't mind anyone substituting "Happy Holidays" for "Merry Christmas". I mean... There's so much more to be concerned about.

People need to quit.

I know. It's almost like they're trying to turn Christmas into a religious holiday.

alanm
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I believe it was forbidden last year at Walmart until there was a big uproar.
But then Walmart is becoming a leftist company to appease the liberals. Or secular progressives or what ever their calling themselves these days. :)

Micjones
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I know. It's almost like they're trying to turn Christmas into a religious holiday.

It is for some. Just not for everyone.
And that's okay.

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 06:16 PM

People need to quit.

:clap:

Sadly, there will always be a yammerhead or three ready to jump you because you're either:

a) A heathen, detracting from someone elses take on the "true meaning" of Christmas

b) A nutjob, who can't let others celebrate in their way because your too busy pushing your faith on others

Mikey23545, it was always a religious holiday, even before the Christians "appropriated" it.

Enjoy the "Feast of Sol Invictus" Mikey23545, and Merry Christmas Micjones. ;)

|Zach|
11-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I believe it was forbidden last year at Walmart until there was a big uproar.
But then Walmart is becoming a leftist company to appease the liberals. Or secular progressives or what ever their calling themselves these days. :)
Wait, Walmart wasn't letting customers say Merry Christmas?

listopencil
11-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow, what a huge pile of whiny bullshit.

Pitt Gorilla
11-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I snoped it before I posted it. He has also had some great quotes about our military before as well.So, Snopes says a good deal of it did not come from Ben Stein, yet you claim (in the title, no less) that it does?

Saulbadguy
11-20-2007, 06:52 AM
I had a particular instance where I got in trouble. I used to do the happy holidays thing. So I said this to someone as they left...he turns around and basically says its a shame that he can't go back here because he has enjoyed shopping there for years. I looked at him a bit confused not connecting what he was talking about. He talked about how he thinks its terrible that they are pushing god out of so and so. My mind was rolling its eyes but I just did the customer service thing basically saying apologizing that he felt that way and hoping he came back to shop with us in the future. It seemed like he was going to walk out at that point and then he came back and wanted to debate the issue as a whole. I should have kept my mouth shut but it wasn't like I was in some dream job. I basically told him I didn't understand how this place could do anything to get in between him and is spirituality or hinder it in any form. I kept thinking to myself, you can do anything you want man...say Merry Christmas until the cows come home. Thats fine. Nobody from this store is trying to tell you what to do...

The manager overheard and wasn't too happy. Thats ok, I should have just shut up.

But when I hear all this come up all I can do is role my eyes. Because it is all so fake and not representative of an actual problem. It is these little shallow things that mean nothing. In this country you are free to worship as you wish. Thats one of the best things about this country. Macy's and Office Depot can't change that.
Retards like that should be put to sleep.

Dr. Van Halen
11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Take head, the day of judgement is near …

~MS. KESHA~

Better to take then to give, I suppose.

God bless Xmas!

chasedude
11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
That's why I don't mind it at all. See my post above. It's more Consumas than anything else.

LMAO @ Consumas... Isn't that what the holiday's are for? Buying a bunch of crap on your CC with no way of paying it back. Then defaulting on the bill and go into bankruptcy and bleed the country dry?

Lancetastic
11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Ben Stein really knows what's up.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
She said, "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"
so if we pray more then we won't have anymore hurricanes?

she's stop just short of pulling a Pat Robertson

BIG_DADDY
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Retards like that should be put to sleep.

OK Hitler.