PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jeff Fisher

Mile High Mania
11-20-2007, 07:53 AM
I know he's a good guy and the perception is that he fields competitive teams more often than not... it sucks being in the same division as the Colts and to a degree the Jaguars, but how has he kept his job?

13+ seasons as the coach (including the 5 or so games in 1994)

If the numbers I saw are right, he's 103 - 96 in the regular season with 8 of those 13 seasons finishing with records of .500 or worse.

Prior to this season, his teams were 8-8 / 4-12 / 5-11 ...

Fisher's teams have 4 trips to the playoffs with a SB appearance and an overall 5-4 mark.

I'm not saying the guy should be fired, but I'm just curious how come he's never been mentioned as a coach on the hot seat. Sure, it won't happen this year... but, what's so special about Jeff Fisher as a head coach?

Mecca
11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Because he's basically gone through rebuilding twice now?

His record isn't great just due to the fact that he was there through 2 complete roster overhauls and the development of 2 young starting QBs.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2007, 07:56 AM
He makes chicken salad out of chicken shit and is a great game-day coach. He always has his players ready to play and motivated.

Phobia
11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
He was on the media hot-seat 3 or 4 years ago, the year after Bud Adams gave him a big-dollar extension and more front office responsibility. I said they were really stupid at that time. They'll let any idiot write for a newspaper. I'm proof of that.

Sure-Oz
11-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Hell of a coach, wish we had him

Chiefnj2
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I think he gets a pass because the cap problems the team had weren't his fault. They really had to gut the team.

Does anyone know of his involvement in the draft? Does he have a lot of power? Their drafts have been questionable in terms of talent and/or off-field issues.

FAX
11-20-2007, 09:45 AM
He's recovering from a cap meltdown. Been in rebuild mode for a few years.

My understanding is that, in the past, Reese had near-veto power in the draft. All that changed after the Vince Young pick which caused an internal power struggle that Reese lost and Fisher won. I've been told that Fisher didn't want Young and was highly pissed about the treatment of McNair. Fisher was on vacation when they locked McNair out of the facility.

FAX

Wile_E_Coyote
11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
He reminds me of the Cardinals former HC(name escapes me). Everyone thought he was great & wanted him to coach their team. He got fired & was never heard from again. In fact I think Fisher hired him

donkhater
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I like him. His teams are always prepared and usually play great defense (the year Baltimore won the Super Bowl it was the Titans NOT the Ravens that had the #1 ranked defense that year). Despite having a conservative/defensive slant to the game, he isn't afraid to try stuff.

I remember when he onside kicked at Indy everytime they kicked off so Peyton couldn't get the ball (the year he set the TD record). It damn near worked, too. In a lot of ways he is a lot like Bill Cowher.

But we got Herm Edwards. That's the same, right? :rolleyes:

Mile High Mania
11-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not suggesting that he's a bad coach, I like the guy. I just didn't realize that 8 of his 13 seasons were at or below .500 - you typically don't last long in the league with that type of record.

FAX
11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Keep in mind that the Tacks played without a stadium for 2 or 3 years, Mr. Mile High Mania. Their home games were at a college stadium in Memphis and they practiced in Nashville. Those conditions had an effect on his tenure and affected his w/l record. But, after they settled into the Coliseum, they went to the SB. Not too bad, really. Plus, they've played cap games like there was no tomorrow ... and sometimes there isn't.

In my opinion, he's the kind of coach that, when teamed with a good GM, would be consistently excellent.

FAX

donkhater
11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
I think you can just get a feel for coaches. You look at the guy, the way he talks and interacts with people and you can just tell he is a leader with charisma.

EyePod
11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
He reminds me of the Cardinals former HC(name escapes me). Everyone thought he was great & wanted him to coach their team. He got fired & was never heard from again. In fact I think Fisher hired him

You don't mean Denny Green do you? Cause no one forgot about him... "They were who they thought we were! And we let them off the hook!"

I might have that written on my headstone.

Cardinals | Firing had minimal effect on D. Green
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:09:18 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports former Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green told ESPNews his dismissal had minimal effect on him. "I wasn't as disappointed as a lot of people think because we didn't play like we thought we would play. We left five games on the table that we should have won in the 2006 season, (and) we did the exact same thing in 2005 and 2004. My frustration level was very high," Green said. Green had not thought about getting back into coach. He is currently working on a DVD about fishing across the United State and is working as a public speaker.

Nobody EVER forgets about Denny Green... especially the pitiful Card fans... :)

Chiefnj2
11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I think you can just get a feel for coaches. You look at the guy, the way he talks and interacts with people and you can just tell he is a leader with charisma.

I agree. He has some intangible quality that inspires confidence. Case in point, last nights game he didn't know whether or not to throw the red flag on Young's TD scramble. They show him moving his arm back and forth not knowing what to do (not receiving word from above).

If that was Herm there would be 100 threads knocking him. But, Fisher's got that quality you trust.

Baby Lee
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
You don't mean Denny Green do you? Cause no one forgot about him... "They were who they thought we were! And we let them off the hook!"

I might have that written on my headstone.

Cardinals | Firing had minimal effect on D. Green
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:09:18 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports former Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green told ESPNews his dismissal had minimal effect on him. "I wasn't as disappointed as a lot of people think because we didn't play like we thought we would play. We left five games on the table that we should have won in the 2006 season, (and) we did the exact same thing in 2005 and 2004. My frustration level was very high," Green said. Green had not thought about getting back into coach. He is currently working on a DVD about fishing across the United State and is working as a public speaker.

Nobody EVER forgets about Denny Green... especially the pitiful Card fans... :)
I think he's talking about Dave McGinnis

Amnorix
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
IMHO he's a very good coach. He took a terrible team and saw it through the difficult relocation from Houston to Tennessee, and rebuilt it into a TRULY terrific team.

I can honestly say that the Patriots-Titans games during the 2002-2004 timeframe were pretty epic battles. The playoff game against them in 2003 was a very close contest, 17-14 or somesuch, and one of the most physical games I've ever seen.

Shortly afterwards, the ENTIRE team had to be completely blown up due to cap mismanagement, which I understand was not Fisher's fault.

IMHO Fisher is a top 5 NFL head coach. I thought of him and Cowher as being very similar in their ability to build really tough defenses, a good run game, and an overall tough, strong team that played consistently well.

And remember, he's ONE stinking yard away from being a SB winning NFL HC.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I think he's talking about Dave McGinnis

Yes, McGinnis. Most thought he was a great coach, but was held back by Bidwell & his cheap ways

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
And remember, he's ONE stinking yard away from being a SB winning NFL HC.

He was one yard away from tying the game, not winning it. But, yeah, I'd take him over any other current coach in the NFL not named Bill Belicheck (except maybe if I didn't want a sleazy jerk as my coach).

Cochise
11-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Everyone was slobbering all over him when Vermeil left, even though he was never available and he's nothing special anyway.

StcChief
11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, McGinnis. Most thought he was a great coach, but was held back by Bidwell & his cheap ways
the Deadbirds claim to fame with Bowtie Billie Bidwell.....

now he has conned-Phoenix in to a football palace maybe he parts with some of his money I doubt it.

Pushead2
11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
He was one yard away from tying the game, not winning it. But, yeah, I'd take him over any other current coach in the NFL not named Bill Belicheck (except maybe if I didn't want a sleazy jerk as my coach).

I'd take a high school football coach at this point.

StcChief
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Fischer would be a great coach in KC. I would welcome it in a heart beat.

Cochise
11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
All time record - 111-97
Winning seasons - 4 out of 14
Postseason - 5-4
Super Bowls - 0

You hate 8-8? He's the master of it. Hooray mediocrity.