PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Rifle season opens in Kansas on the 28th. I wasn't planning on hunting this year; trying to cope with the death of my son but have several friends encouraging me to go. I will give it a go, I am trying to keep my head up and find activities I enjoy; Thank you Jayhawks, been the only thing I look forward to each week.

I was wondering about the Missouri hunters; I know deer season opened there last week and was curious how it went over there. Any big trophies?

And who else in Kansas is hitting the woods. For obvious reasons have not done any scouting this year, any word on how active the rut is?

tooge
11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
the rut is cookin pretty well right now. It is peak breeding for about 4 more days or so. I passed up a 6 point buck and a nice doe saturday bowhunting in Kansas near Pleasanton. I will hit the woods again this weekend. You should go out for sure. I just lost someone close to me also, and the aloneness in the stand was tough for a wandering mind. I would go, but I would sit in a blind or stand with another guy with you to pass the time. Just my two cents. Good luck and have a great time.

LabRat38
11-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I know I don't post much man, but I don't think your son is sitting up in Heaven right now saying, "I sure hope my dad skips deer season and stays sad forever". He wants you to continue you on with your life. Continuing on with your life, doesn't mean you are forgetting his. Go out and try to enjoy the time as much as you can. My thoughts and prayers are still with you. God Bless.

ChiefsFire
11-20-2007, 11:29 AM
If anything it will bring you closer to him....if possible...

I always think of my dad when on the lake or chasing quail on a cold snowy morning...

El Jefe
11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
If anything it will bring you closer to him....if possible...

I always think of my dad when on the lake or chasing quail on a cold snowy morning...

Good post, you gotta think positive and remeber the good times, just my .02

el borracho
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Dear season,

Sometimes I want to take you in my arms and cradle you like John Madden cradles a turducken; but sometimes I just want to go Rodney Harrison on your knees. Anyway, I think we both know this isn't going anywhere meaningful. I think it best that we part ways now, as friends. I'll always cherish the good times and hold a special place in my heart for you.

Love always,

~Chiefs fan

HonestChieffan
11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I got 5 really nice quality bucks...all on trail cam on a trail I have leading toward my stand...they never came past the stand but I do know where these boys were.

Good Luck in your season and do go. Dont stay home that would be a mistake.

jidar
11-20-2007, 12:51 PM
I got 5 really nice quality bucks...all on trail cam on a trail I have leading toward my stand...they never came past the stand but I do know where these boys were.

Good Luck in your season and do go. Dont stay home that would be a mistake.

I get thousands of bucks on a bi-weekly basis.
In fact, believe it or not, I'm a thousandaire.

stumppy
11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Go.

Staying at home will do nothing. Like LabRat said, your son would not want you to stay home. Maybe some time alone in the woods will help with your grieving. Or maybe some time with a good friend will help. I don't know for sure but sitting at home will not help and you know that your son would want you to go.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I am going to get out there...... I appreciate your thoughts and sentiments.

Where are the Missouri hunters? Was curious as to the success they had in the firearms season.

HonestChieffan
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Was a bummer Mike...the weather too warm for sure and the damn wind ...in timber was deafening. A good number of good bucks killed but total harvest will be down.

Check some of the posts at missouriwhitetails.com, that board has a great amount of participation.

BigVE
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Someone started a Missouri rifle season thread a week or two ago but there were very few posts about deer hunting.

From what I have seen/heard the rut is going strong right now but is slowing down and most guys feel that the rut should be about done by rifle season next week. I have seen a few nice bucks shot by bow-hunters so far, nothing huge. Good luck man.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Someone started a Missouri rifle season thread a week or two ago but there were very few posts about deer hunting.

From what I have seen/heard the rut is going strong right now but is slowing down and most guys feel that the rut should be about done by rifle season next week. I have seen a few nice bucks shot by bow-hunters so far, nothing huge. Good luck man.

Always seems to be the case.... double edge sword I suppose, have the season earlier and its too warm, wait until after Thanksgiving and the rut is slowing down.

BigVE
11-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I posted this in the hunting type things thread a few weeks ago. Some kid around Wichita got this during the youth muzzle loader season. Its a monster.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I posted this in the hunting type things thread a few weeks ago. Some kid around Wichita got this during the youth muzzle loader season. Its a monster.

I saw that in the Topeka newspaper....... wasn't that his first deer?

Midway Chief
11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
God bless you Mike. There is not much else I can say.
Here is how our group did on opening weekend; 6 pretty nice bucks. It was very warm and we didn't do very well after the opening morning. In fact, we only got one the 2nd weekend. Good luck on the upcoming season.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/Mizzou92/DSC01599.jpg

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
God bless you Mike. There is not much else I can say.
Here is how our group did on opening weekend; 6 pretty nice bucks. It was very warm and we didn't do very well after the opening morning. In fact, we only got one the 2nd weekend. Good luck on the upcoming season.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/Mizzou92/DSC01599.jpg

Damn nice hunting, where did you get all those? Good looking bucks there.

Midway Chief
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Howard County Missouri, right in the middle of the state. They were all between 8 and 11 points. We usually get between 12 and 20 opening weekend, but they just weren't moving much with the warm weather.

Daryle Lamonica
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7649/ad2 (http://imageshack.us)