PDA

View Full Version : So do you think it is official? How do you feel about it?

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
“Our job is to get this quarterback through the next six games, where he can be successful and win games. That’s the key. It’s about the quarterback. How can we make this guy successful?”

“I’m not going to send him out there and get him beat up and destroy his confidence. It does no good for his organization, and does no good for that quarterback. I’ve seen a lot of quarterbacks, all of a sudden you put them in positions where you know they can’t be successful, and all of a sudden you’ve got a disaster on your hands. We’re not gonna do that to this kid. We’re not going to do that to this football team. We’re trying to win, and there’s a way you win games. We have to win a certain way right now.”

It almost sounds like he is throwing in the towel on this season, but yet he talks about winning. He said the next six games, with no mention of the playoffs. What do you think?

Poll to follow

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 02:28 PM
No, HemiEd. Nothing so sinister.

He is just saying the Chiefs are going to coddle Brodie. They will not afford him the opportunities that Huard was given. It got Huard beat the hell up.

StcChief
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Carl has sold season ticket money....

rebuilding officially or not it's happening.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM

He is just saying the Chiefs are going to coddle Brodie. They will not afford him the opportunities that Huard was given. It got Huard beat the hell up.

And on other threads you advocate that they take off the training wheels.

Make sure you take all sides, GOATSE. That way you're sure to be correct once in a while.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

So why does he make it a point of saying the next 6 GAMES? Every other PC I have heard him give, he mentions the playoffs etc.

Oh, and even Herm Edwards should realize Brodie is much quicker to react than Damon. I can see it now, when Brodie does well and doesn't get hurt, it will be due to Herm's master plan.

damaticous
11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Why does it always seem that if an NFL team isn't have a good season it's always labeled a "Rebulding" season?

IMHO EVERY season is a "rebuilding" season. Coaches and players are always being replaced due to free agency, injuries, trades, etc... Very few NFL teams have the exact same players and coaches year after year.

It's just some teams/coaches deal with and utilize the changes better than others.

Chiefnj2
11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't have a problem with the quote. It makes sense. You don't put all the pressure on a young QB when the team has so many problems that aren't the QB's fault. You can't expect a young QB to come in and carry the team without a running game and without decent protection.

My problem is in the execution of that plan. Taking a knee with 3 timeouts. Punting on 4th and 1 from midfield. Throwing a 10 yard pass on the final play when you need a hail Mary. There's a difference between protecting Croyle and completely leashing him and the entire offense.

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
And on other threads you advocate that they take off the training wheels.

I still hold that position. In this thread I am merely recognizing what the Chiefs want to do. It doesn't mean I agree with it.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I still hold that position. In this thread I am merely recognizing what the Chiefs want to do. It doesn't mean I agree with it.

Fair enough.

For the record, do you agree with the approach the coaching staff is taking? I think it's best to limit Brodie's exposure to failure for now.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Why does it always seem that if an NFL team isn't have a good season it's always labeled a "Rebulding" season?

IMHO EVERY season is a "rebuilding" season. Coaches and players are always being replaced due to free agency, injuries, trades, etc... Very few NFL teams have the exact same players and coaches year after year.

It's just some teams/coaches deal with and utilize the changes better than others.
I would call that evolution. But to actually use the rebuilding word carries a lot of issues with it. What do players near the end of their career like Tony G, Donnie Edwards, Ty Law etc. feel about it? Do they put in a 100% effort, knowing they probably won't see the field when the team is rebuilt? Tony may be an exception, but point made.

I don't have a problem with the quote. It makes sense. You don't put all the pressure on a young QB when the team has so many problems that aren't the QB's fault. You can't expect a young QB to come in and carry the team without a running game and without decent protection.

My problem is in the execution of that plan. Taking a knee with 3 timeouts. Punting on 4th and 1 from midfield. Throwing a 10 yard pass on the final play when you need a hail Mary. There's a difference between protecting Croyle and completely leashing him and the entire offense.
I don't have a problem with it either, just trying to read between the lines. I find it odd that he excluded the playoffs in his game count, since that has always been a carrot the Chiefs front office waves every chance they get.

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Fair enough.

For the record, do you agree with the approach the coaching staff is taking? I think it's best to limit Brodie's exposure to failure for now.

I think he deserves to run the same gameplans Huard was running.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I think he deserves to run the same gameplans Huard was running.

The one that you say got Huard beat up? Why do you think that's a good idea?

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 03:28 PM
The one that you say got Huard beat up? Why do you think that's a good idea?

Quarterbacks in this league get beat up. It's a fact of NFL life.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Guys who are being groomed as QBsOTF should not be put in the position of being beaten up.

IMO, they should be given time to learn the system with the starting guys before they're thrown to the wolves. Croyle hasn't been working with the first team guys on his own team, and he's never faced first team NFL defenses until just recently.

Again, IMO, Brodie's exposure to injury and mental failure should be limited at this point. I think Herm, et al., have actually played this transition well so far.

ChiefaRoo
11-20-2007, 03:51 PM
It almost sounds like he is throwing in the towel on this season, but yet he talks about winning. He said the next six games, with no mention of the playoffs. What do you think?

Poll to follow
I think Herm is right. Do you want Brodie taking a lot of five step drops with the O line in the condition it is in? He'd get killed.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Guys who are being groomed as QBsOTF should not be put in the position of being beaten up.

IMO, they should be given time to learn the system with the starting guys before they're thrown to the wolves. Croyle hasn't been working with the first team guys on his own team, and he's never faced first team NFL defenses until just recently.

Again, IMO, Brodie's exposure to injury and mental failure should be limited at this point. I think Herm, et al., have actually played this transition well so far.
You are going to find a lot of people that disagree with you on that one. Most wanted him in at the beginning of these season. I wanted him in at the Minnesota home game. But I think everyone actually thought the OL was upgraded this year. Heck most of us thought just removing Jordan Black would improve the offensive line. Shows what we know.

Donger
11-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I think Herm is right. Do you want Brodie taking a lot of five step drops with the O line in the condition it is in? He'd get killed.

Isn't this one of the reasons that Croyle seems to favor shotgun?

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Croyle hasn't been working with the first team guys on his own team.

He's received 40 percent of the snaps with the first team offense all year.

He's ready.

The Broncos let Cutler do quite a bit last year. He threw down the field in every game from the get go. So should Croyle.

KC Dan
11-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Nah, I just love losing 13-10 - keep it up Herm! That is why I won't be at Arrowhead this Sunday. Need a break...

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM

I don't disagree with him on this, just trying to decipher what he is and isn't really saying.
He is very prone to coach speak, so reading what he doesn't say is sometimes the only way to understand what is really going on IMO.
For what it is worth, according to FAX and others, Brodie is used to running for his life and should be right at home.

ChiefaRoo
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Nah, I just love losing 13-10 - keep it up Herm! That is why I won't be at Arrowhead this Sunday. Need a break...

I think next year is going to be a huge year for KC. If they fix the O-line RG, RT and draft a new center but keep Weigman to teach him the line calls etc.

Draft another good receiver - Jordy Nelson?

Pick up, draft or trade picks for a young CB with upside (I say trade picks because Tony G and a lot of the Vets aren't getting any younger and KC has a two year window after this season at best before another re-tool is needed)

Add it all up and if Brodie plays out the season well and comes back next year and takes it up another level then KC could have a heck of a run.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I think next year is going to be a huge year for KC. If they fix the O-line LG, RT and draft a new center but keep Weigman to teach him the line calls etc.

LG? You think Waters needs replaced? He is the only keeper IMO.

ChiefaRoo
11-20-2007, 04:05 PM
LG? You think Waters needs replaced? He is the only keeper IMO.

You know I meant RG. Sorry.

BigRock
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Weren't you the most outspoken person that Brodie shouldn't be exposed to this offensive line? That Huard would be the "pinata" and all that?

Now your position is that Brodie should be the pinata?

a1na2
11-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Interesting poll, but not enough answers to fit the question so I have to refrain from voting.

We are rebuilding, if you can't see that you need to visit your nearest O.D.

The bad news is that even when you are rebuilding you need to at least give the impression that you are trying to win games. To me it looks like 'the Hermit' is doing his best to limit the offense and not win any games.

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Weren't you the most outspoken person that Brodie shouldn't be exposed to this offensive line? That Huard would be the "pinata" and all that?

Now your position is that Brodie should be the pinata?

Brodie has clearly shown an ability to get rid of the football and move a little bit. Plus, I think he could survive getting whacked around for seven games. Huard's done his job nicely.

Besides, it's irrelevant. The Chiefs aren't gonna expose him.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
You know I meant RG. Sorry.

I was hoping so, but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. ;)

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Interesting poll, but not enough answers to fit the question so I have to refrain from voting.

We are rebuilding, if you can't see that you need to visit your nearest O.D.

The bad news is that even when you are rebuilding you need to at least give the impression that you are trying to win games. To me it looks like 'the Hermit' is doing his best to limit the offense and not win any games.

You think Herm is intentionally losing?

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Brodie has clearly shown an ability to get rid of the football and move a little bit. Plus, I think he could survive getting whacked around for seven games. Huard's done his job nicely.

Besides, it's irrelevant. The Chiefs aren't gonna expose him.

Huard did his job nicely last year. This year he's stunk up the joint.

Maybe it's Huard. Maybe it's a garbage OL. Maybe it's subpar receivers. Maybe it's an amemic running game. Maybe it's a lousy job of playcalling.

Maybe it's most of those and Croyle shouldn't be thrown to the wolves yet.

No, they won't expose him, if they can help it. That's as it should be.

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM

I was talking about Huard playing the role of tackling dummy. You know, so Croyle didn't have to.

KC Dan
11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I, for one do not think hermie is intentionally losing. But, I am confident that he is not intentionally trying to win a game. He is just trying to not lose it. This is a failed strategy.

ChiefaRoo
11-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Maybe it's Huard. Maybe it's a garbage OL. Maybe it's subpar receivers. Maybe it's an amemic running game. Maybe it's a lousy job of playcalling.

Maybe it's most of those and Croyle shouldn't be thrown to the wolves yet.

No, they won't expose him, if they can help it. That's as it should be.

I think it's clearly the OL, especially the last few weeks. If Chris Terry doesn't whiff and get Brodie smashed after .4 seconds in the pocket last Sun. then he wouldn't of fumbled and KC would have been right there for the win in Indy.

ChiefaRoo
11-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I, for one do not think hermie is intentionally losing. But, I am confident that he is not intentionally trying to win a game. He is just trying to not lose it. This is a failed strategy.

Herm is playing classic oldschool Martyball right now. Frankly, it's ok with me as the QB needs reps in live game action without getting killed and KC needs good picks in next years draft. 6-10 or 7-9 doesn't bother me at all at this point.

KC Dan
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Herm is playing classic oldschool Martyball right now. Frankly, it's ok with me as the QB needs reps in live game action without getting killed and KC needs good picks in next years draft. 6-10 or 7-9 doesn't bother me at all at this point.
Unfortunately, I have almost resigned myself to that as well. Doesn't taste too well either...

FAX
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM

I see this as a little bit worse than M-ball, Mr. ChiefaRoo. This is the most tentative offense I've ever seen. Ever.

FAX

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 04:44 PM
I see this as a little bit worse than M-ball, Mr. ChiefaRoo. This is the most tentative offense I've ever seen. Ever.

FAX

This is very similar to the offense you would have seen if you had watched Jay Cutler's first games last season.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Agreed, I liked the earlier comment, "he keeps getting the same results from trying the same thing."

"I keep cutting it off and it is still too short."

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
This is very similar to the offense you would have seen if you had watched Jay Cutler's first games last season.

No, trust me, it's not. The Broncos weren't nearly this pathetic. They turned Cutler loose to an extent.

a1na2
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM

I can't say, but the circumstantial evidence seems to be mounting.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I can't say, but the circumstantial evidence seems to be mounting.

I have had my doubts about the efforts against his "Brother" in both of his Indy games. The playoff game and this one.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 05:04 PM

FAX

I know this is going to be hard to believe, but the Marv Levy Wing-T was worse, much worse.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
No, trust me, it's not. The Broncos weren't nearly this pathetic. They turned Cutler loose to an extent.

No, trust me, I experienced it. There's a difference between Cutler's experience so far and Croyle's first game.

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
There's a difference between Cutler's experience so far and Croyle's first game.

Absolutely. That's what I'm saying.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow, over 60% think they have no idea what they are doing.

Rain Man
11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I really wish that Brodie's headset would fail so that he can't hear the plays that the boneheads are calling and has to call his own. Everybody would be a lot better off.

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
I really wish that Brodie's headset would fail so that he can't hear the plays that the boneheads are calling and has to call his own. Everybody would be a lot better off.
If only they could be so lucky. How could we sabotage it? Maybe you know someone out in Denver who could check with Shanahan?