PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii v. Kansas

Frazod
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Interesting comparison between Hawaii and Kansas. I actually have some newfound respect for the Warriors.

At least they tried to schedule some real competition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3118572

Monday, November 19, 2007
Hawaii gets schedule penalty while Kansas gets a pass

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>
By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

Hawaii coach June Jones wanted his football team to open the season at Michigan. The Wolverines wouldn't play the Warriors and instead hosted Division I-AA Appalachian State, which beat Michigan 34-32 in one of the biggest upsets in college football history.

Hawaii was scheduled to play Michigan State this season, but the Spartans paid $250,000 to cancel the game. Jones tried to replace the Spartans with Southern California, but even the Trojans wanted no part of quarterback Colt Brennan (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145275) and the Warriors' high-octane offense.

"We offered to play everybody," Jones said. "No one wanted to play us."

With two weeks left in the regular season, Hawaii is one of only two unbeaten teams left in major college football. The Warriors are 10-0 and ranked No. 15 in the BCS standings. Hawaii has to finish in the top 12 of the final BCS standings to receive a lucrative at-large berth in a BCS bowl game, or in the top 16 and ranked higher than one of the champions of the traditional BCS conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac-10 and SEC).

Even if Hawaii beats No. 19 Boise State on Friday night (ESPN2, 9 ET) and Washington on Dec. 1 to finish the regular season at 12-0, the Warriors aren't guaranteed of playing in a BCS bowl game. It will be up to the voters in the Harris Interactive Poll and coaches' top-25 poll, two of the main components in the BCS formula, to put them there.

"We knew before the season started that we had to win them all to get any respect," Jones said. "We've kind of focused on one at a time and it's worked for us. All I know is we beat Arizona State in a bowl game last year and we've won 20 of our last 21 games. We'll line up and play anybody."

Kansas is the only other unbeaten team left in major college football. The Jayhawks are 11-0 and ranked No. 2 in the BCS standings. Kansas is in its lofty and unprecedented position because it scheduled wisely, to say the least.

The Jayhawks didn't play Oklahoma, Texas or Texas Tech, three of the strongest teams in the Big 12, during the regular season. The Big 12 office, and not the Jayhawks, set the conference schedule.

But Kansas' nonconference schedule -- home games against Central Michigan, Division I-AA Southeastern Louisiana, Toledo and winless Florida International -- was created to make the Jayhawks eligible for a bowl game.

The soft schedule might end up being Kansas' ticket to the BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7 in New Orleans.

If Kansas beats No. 4 Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City on Saturday and then beats No. 10 Oklahoma or No. 13 Texas in the Big 12 championship game on Dec. 1, it will probably play for the national title. Certainly, the Jayhawks' last two victories would suggest they're worthy of playing for the national championship.

But Kansas' first 11 games suggest otherwise. In fact, if the Jayhawks didn't play in the Big 12, the Jayhawks would be in the same boat as Hawaii. They have played only three teams with winning records -- Central Michigan, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are each 6-5. Furthermore, the 11 opponents Kansas has played so far have a combined record of 47-75.

Hawaii's 10 opponents, including two Division I-AA foes, are a combined 34-76.

The Jayhawks haven't been penalized for playing a soft schedule; the Warriors have been penalized heavily.

During the past five weeks, when Kansas beat two teams that are close to firing their coaches (Nebraska and Texas A&M), two teams with losing records (Colorado and Iowa State) and one of the most inconsistent programs in the country (Oklahoma State), the Jayhawks climbed from No. 13 in the BCS standings to No. 2.

During that same time frame, when Hawaii beat San Jose State (in overtime), New Mexico State, Fresno State and Nevada (they played mostly without the injured Brennan in that game), the Warriors actually fell from No. 14 to No. 15 in the BCS standings.

"It wasn't like we didn't try to go out and schedule good teams," Brennan said. "We tried to play everyone. We couldn't get anybody to take the offers. This is what we've dealt with and this is our schedule. I know we've won some close games and it's been a crazy year, but this team knows how to win. That's what's scary about us -- this team is used to winning."

And the Warriors can beat only the teams that are willing to play them.

irishjayhawk
11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I must point out a couple things:

1) Hawaii has almost dropped about every game they've played. Which makes their "soft schedule" look ridiculous. Whereas, Kansas has handily beat most teams on the schedule save for the first two road games of K-State (hostile environment) and the first true out of state game (Colorado). And in the latter, if you watched the game Kansas dominated.

2) You can cry schedule all you want to this point. But if Kansas wins at Missouri, no one can say that they haven't played anyone. I don't see Hawaii having two of these games ahead of them....

And, FWIW, I'm of the persuasion that thinks MU is the better team all around.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Hawaii is scheduled to play Florida at the beginning (week 1 or 2) of next season.

Frazod
11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey, I just thought it was an interesting read. :shrug:

HemiEd
11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
You are obsessed Tim! :) WE need you over in the Herm bashing threads right away!

KC_Connection
11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Has anybody been watching Hawaii this year? If they make the BCS, they will have most certainly been the worst team ever to make it there. They aren't very good at all.

irishjayhawk
11-20-2007, 02:46 PM

I guess for those complaining that MU is getting stepped on in the media. :p ;)

Lzen
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
You know what? This whole KU schedule thing is getting stupid. Here's something that I read on another bb.

....two thirds of the BCS poll is still decided on by humans so public opinion counts quite a bit....

Looking at the non-con, KU played a team in Central Michigan that went 10-2 last year, won it's league and won it's bowl game. They also played Toledo to whom KU lost last year, so I'm sure at the time nobody was thinking of them as a cupcake. Florida International was a replacement for South Florida who postponed their game to next year, and Louisiana Tech was probably a cupcake just like every other team likes to schedule.....

The way I understand it, KU blew out the cupcakes and Hawaii struggled with bad teams. That is the main difference. Just because the scores at aTm and CU were close at the end does not mean the games were really that close. If you watched those games, you knew KU was in control throughout.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I actually have some newfound respect for the Warriors.

somehow i think you would find "respect" for anyone against KU

ROYC75
11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Gee Tim, still trying to find more fuel for a "FIRE ". Bushwacker be damned, Lawrence has already burned down once, it's not happening again. ;)

Stewie
11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Are you MU people feeling scared? Bringing up every little thing that "proves" your team is better. Last time I checked KSU ran the ball all over your asses and they don't have anything close to McAnderson or Sharp.

Frazod
11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I guess for those complaining that MU is getting stepped on in the media. :p ;)

I didn't even post on that thread. :harumph:

:)

MIAdragon
11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
The average margin of victory was 24.5 for Hawaii and 34.6 for Kansas.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I didn't even post on that thread. :harumph:

:)
if KU fans were whining a fraction of the amount that your brethren are doing this week you would be having a freakin' seizure.

Sure-Oz
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Are you MU people feeling scared? Bringing up every little thing that "proves" your team is better. Last time I checked KSU ran the ball all over your asses and they don't have anything close to McAnderson or Sharp.
Oh nooo's better forfeit

Stewie
11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh nooo's better forfeit

I'm just saying I've seen chinks in the armor. Your D is still REALLY suspect.

Skip Towne
11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm just saying I've seen chinks in the armor. Your D is still REALLY suspect.
I think so too. MU scored with 12 seconds left to make the OU game look closer than it was. Previous to that garbage time score, OU had scored 4 unanswered TD's. Kansas will move the ball on them.

Reerun_KC
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh nooo's better forfeit

Not saying that, but geesh! come on, we all know KU schedule wasnt that good, but they played what they were dealt...

I am sure it is all the players fault for the schedule, they just went out and took care of business.. Whining about KU's schedule when they have been the doormat of the big 12 in football for so long is retarded... Sounds to me like MU fan is jealous of KU sucess... I applaud MU for their season, the same way i applaud KU's... But when it comes to bashing schedules, you are belittling you own teams success and embarrassing your school... so Just stop.

give it up already and stop looking so petty and scared... I could careless what team wins or loses, As a Jayhawk fan, this is a dream season regardless of saturdays outcome..

Act like you have been here before, well since you havent, just grow up alittle.

Ari Chi3fs
11-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Frazod is likely to kill someone after MU loses. He better take valium... he is going to be aggro.

DJay23
11-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Frazod is likely to kill someone after MU loses.
I'm calling on all KU fans to reverse this JuJu. I don't feel 100% strongly that either team will win this game. It's a toss up as the rankings might suggest. So please, for the sake of good karma, assume nothing and hope for the best.

HolmeZz
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM
They both haven't beaten anybody.

HolyHandgernade
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Its not even really in Mizzou's best interest to try and trash KU as a team that hasn't beat anyone for two reasons:

1. If you win, they'll just say you beat an overrated KU team and you may loose out on your shot at the national title.

2. If you lose, how overrated does that now make Mizzou look?

If I were a Mizzou fan (I just threw up a little in mouth), after the Colorado game I wouldn't be highlighting this weak schedule stuff. I would be saying they are a tough opponent who were going to do our best to beat. As a Jayhawk fan, I have no interest in people doubting Mizzou as a good team. I want the perception that we beat a good team. Heck, I didn't really want OU to lose for the same reason.

Of course, maybe the hatred just keeps the Tiggers from seeing this logic.

-HH

DJay23
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
They both haven't beaten anybody.
Mizzou's win versus Illinois is decent. I think they were a young team trying to gain some confidence in that game, so are they the team that beat Ohio State? I don't feel confident saying that. It is a better opponent than we've beaten, but the only one I can see.

Que Card QB
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Interesting comparison between Hawaii and Kansas. I actually have some newfound respect for the Warriors.

At least they tried to schedule some real competition.

I have no problem with the criticism of KU's schedule but hopefully you don't suggest Missouri TRIED (as in intentionally) to schedule a difficult one of their own.

The only teams MU and KU have control over is the non-con. MU has a deal with Ill. Granted, that is one tougher team than KU in their non-con., and is a result (if I remember correctly) of a previous arrangement a few years ago to satisfy, and bring a rivalry out of the St. Louis "split" population. And I think that's great, Kansas doesn't border another state out of it's conference or that might be a possibility with them. But the bottom line is, aside from that one game with Ill. MU themselves TRIED to play 3 cupcakes. Neither team TRIED to draw their Big 12 South competition the way they got it.

I'm just sayin'.

DJay23
11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
There was a lot of talk in preseason of Mangino's scheduling tactics this year, basically borrowing the strategy Bill Snyder used for years at KSU. I think Mangino (make all the jokes you want about his weight) is a smart guy and realized we wouldn't draw a tough conference schedule this year in that no Texas or Oklahoma. This would be the year to strike if any there was one and he decided to go heavy on the cupcakes to help his inexperienced players get confidence going into the conference schedule. I'm sure he realized we'd take a hit and some criticism for the lack of strong opponents, however I think he was forfeiting strength of schedule for the chance to work on some things. Kind of like how a mama lion will injure a rabbit so it's slow enough for her cubs to hunt down and capture. Plus it's pretty fun for the players to run roughshod over someone else.

I think it's obviously paid off in that a lot of guys got a lot of PT in those first four games since they were all big blowouts. That helps you set a pretty good rotation of guys who have seen time on the field and when injuries inevitably crop up, you can more easily plug someone in who knows his job and how to execute at game speed. You also build confidence however it manifests itself, whether it's a swagger or a quiet resolve that you'll get the job done in the end. I think KU has that.

Short Leash Hootie
11-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I'll be at the game and I'm officially rooting for the Jayhawks now because I want to see a Frazod meltdown on the Planet!

HolmeZz
11-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Mizzou's win versus Illinois is decent. I think they were a young team trying to gain some confidence in that game, so are they the team that beat Ohio State? I don't feel confident saying that. It is a better opponent than we've beaten, but the only one I can see.

I was talking about Kansas and Hawaii.

Pitt Gorilla
11-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Are you MU people feeling scared? Bringing up every little thing that "proves" your team is better. Last time I checked KSU ran the ball all over your asses and they don't have anything close to McAnderson or Sharp.This article has NOTHING to do with MU. Why do you feel the need to make it about us?

Bearcat
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
I can't believe ESPN would write something like this. The reason KU is ranked higher than Hawaii is because the SoS of Kansas' opponents is better than the SoS of Hawaii's opponents; because 6-6 in the Big 12 is better than 6-6 in the WAC. It's accounted for in the computer polls, which is Hawaii's "penalty".

Our chumps are better than your chumps.

San Jose State is 4-7 with losses to Stanford (37-0), Fresno State (30-0), and La Tech (27-23). It took OT for Hawaii to beat them. SJS's most impressive win is New Mexico State, which is 4-8 and 1-6 in conference.

Fresno State, the 3rd best team in the conference, has lost to all 3 ranked teams it has played, and their most impressive win is La Tech, 17-6. Hawaii beat them 37-30 (but was up 24-7 after a quarter).

Kansas State is 5-6 with losses to Iowa State (31-10), Nebraska (137-31), and Oklahoma State (41-39). Their most impressive win against Texas, and they beat San Jose State 34-14.

Colorado, the 3rd best team in the North, beat Oklahoma.

Zeke Ziggle
11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Just to bring some history to the argument last year best non BCS school was Boise st. A team that that beat San Jose by 3 and Wyoming and Hawaii by 7. Not saying that this year Hawaii can win a major bowl game, but if they go undefeated then they should at least have the chance to play in one.

Skip Towne
11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Iowa beat Illinois. IOWA!!!!!!!

Bearcat
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Just to bring some history to the argument last year best non BCS school was Boise st. A team that that beat San Jose by 3 and Wyoming and Hawaii by 7. Not saying that this year Hawaii can win a major bowl game, but if they go undefeated then they should at least have the chance to play in one.

BSU started at #15, moved 4 spots while not really playing anyone, and then moved up 3 spots after beating Nevada.

This year, Hawaii has moved up 3 spots since the first BCS poll... it obviously depends on everyone else, but they should move up to the top 10 if they beat BSU.

The most any team can do in a non-playoff system is prove you belong with the elite... an undefeated season, while beating BSU, should get them into a BCS bowl..... and I think they'll do as they did with BSU, and give them an invite to one.

Mr. Plow
11-20-2007, 08:23 PM

You are starting to give the name Tim a bad name....I don't take kindly to that...... ;)

Skip Towne
11-20-2007, 08:25 PM
You are starting to give the name Tim a bad name....I don't take kindly to that...... ;)
Starting?

Mr. Plow
11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Starting?

I've agreed with him on a lot of other things......just not this whole KU/MU thing.

Ari Chi3fs
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
http://www.columbia.edu/~sf2220/TT2007/web-content/images/douche1.jpg

Its an invention called the Frazodouche Bag.

Daryle Lamonica
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img2

KCFalcon59
11-20-2007, 09:29 PM
what a douchebag. Why do we get so many of these raider scum over here?