PDA

View Full Version : Why the double standards?

aturnis
07-03-2001, 02:13 PM
NFL fans and analysts are flying over the deepend with the player/criminal problem. Granted that the players who rape, kill and assault and other such crimes are bad people, people are acting like Tamarick Vanover, and Bam Morris are cold-blooded criminals, and for what....weed! Now HONESTLY....how many of you here have at least tried weed?!?! I'm guessing a good majority, hell, some of you pry smoked some pretty recently! Does this make you a bad person though, not neccesarily. So why do we rip on players who get caught with it so badly.....just cuz they got caught?!

~aturnis
Not promoting the usage of marijuana in any way....

morphius
07-03-2001, 02:15 PM
Never had the stuff...

Iowanian
07-03-2001, 02:50 PM
1. I've never smoked dope in my life and won't.

2. Morris and Vanover were both doing more than puffing on a pipe for personal satisfaction. They financed and opperated a drug ring and were involved somehow with autotheft.

3. Kids look up to NFL/professional athletes as role models. Many kids are very impressionable and seeing that crap rewarded with million dollar contracts just can't happen.

4. My best friend in HS used to just "jones a hit" when we were 16 and at parties where it came out....then to having his own..while I was at college, he was smoking....which led him to Meth......last weekend he was arrested for the second time for manufacturing....As much As I like the guy for the things he did for me growing up...He is no more than a common drug dealer...did it himself....I tried to help the first time and he declined....Some folks just have to learn the hard way.....

~drugs are bad.....Umkay.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
07-03-2001, 02:56 PM
Alcohol has destroyed more lives and families than marijauna ever has.

Phobia
07-03-2001, 02:58 PM
It's hardly a double standard. I admit to partaking of a little herb in the past, but I didn't run a drug ring.....

Not that the people that run STRICTLY MJ drug rings are bad folks, but some businesses just don't mix.

If you are doctor at the local hospital, you do NOT run a funeral home in that town.

If you are a professional football player making MILLIONS of dollars, you do NOT run a drug ring in the offseason and steal cars for thrills. How stupid is that? Vanover probably would have hooked up with another team and but it's not too likely now. Enjoy the CFL, Tamarick - IF you probation terms allow you to cross the border....

aturnis
07-03-2001, 03:07 PM
Nice take on things Kphobia....just gotta tell ya, your are probably one of my favorite board members, you always have something intelligent to say, or something funny to lighten things up. I agree with most all of your opinions also.....just thought I'd tell ya.

MrBlond
07-03-2001, 03:07 PM
I don't have a double standard. I have a single standard. If I were busted numerous times, Possesion, Intent to Distribute, Parol Violation, etc. I would be prosecuted. I expect Bam, Vanover, Irvin, etc. to be treated the same. Until it is legalized, accept responsiblity for your actions.

I to have partaken, but if busted who can I blame? I know the laws.

morphius
07-03-2001, 03:15 PM
Ozark - Yes, but that is because it is legal while MJ is not. If MJ was legal it would probably cause many issues itself, because an addictive personality is an addictive personality.

Lzen
07-03-2001, 03:40 PM
Morphius,
I disagree with your assessment. It's not hard for people to get pot. I have smoked a few j's in my time and even though I don't do it anymore, I have a lot of friends who still do. If marijuana were legal, a lot of people wouldn't be in jail. That's part of the reason I quit doing it. I have two young children and I wouldn't be able to care for them if I were jailed for posession. Still, I think it should be legalized. Heck, if alcohol and gambling can be legal, why can't pot. IMO, drinking liquor is not really any different than smokin' dope. Anyway, that's beside the point. As somebody already mentioned, Vanover and Bam Morris were involved in more than smokin' dope.

morphius
07-03-2001, 03:54 PM
Izen - Well, honestly I probably drink about less then you did pot, so I come from a completely diff angle. I'm also not big on cigs, and only had one puff when I was really young. I might add some more later, but gotta run.

PunkinDrublic
07-03-2001, 04:02 PM
The fact is that a large number of NFL players off the field are just straight up criminals. They live in a different world then you and I because they're above the law. A lot of players do stupid things because they know they can get away with it. It's not just with Sports though, unfortunately our justice system discriminates along the lines of class. As far as drugs go I do think that mandatory drug sentences are too harsh and make worse criminals out of people who were only minor drug offenders.

Phobia
07-03-2001, 04:11 PM
Are you hitting on me, aturnis? :rolleyes:

LOL - thanks for the compliment.

I think you're just biased 'cuz we both grew up in rural Iowa.

Clint in Wichita
07-03-2001, 04:17 PM
I don't know about the double standard, but I believe that Marijuana being a "gateway drug" is a load of BS. I've known many, many people who smoke or have smoked weed more than just occaisionally, and not a single one of them turned to more powerful drugs. As a matter of fact, the cokeheads that I've known wouldn't waste their time with marijuana.

If there is any such thing as a gateway drug, it's alcohol.

Vindicator
07-03-2001, 04:22 PM
Welp, sounds like we need more prisons for all you folks that belive it's your body and you can put into it whatever you wish.
BTW, if it suits me, I'll put a pipe up my ***......Better get my cell ready all you taxpayers.

NaptownChief
07-03-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Clint in Wichita
but I believe that Marijuana being a "gateway drug" is a load of BS.

Never smoked it but a lot of my buddies burnt far more than their share...From what I have seen I would agree with Clint that the drug is not a gateway drug...However, I think the personality trait that allows people to have the willingness to try something illegal is what ultimately pushes them into other illegal products...Doing something illegal and getting away with it is a rebellious high for many people. Once they are bored with MJ they will go looking for something in order to find that rebellious thrill. IMO, If MJ were legal it would have no more effect on people trying harder drugs than Marlboro and Advil...

DaWolf
07-03-2001, 05:06 PM
Walking around Berkeley for 4 years, I suppose I've inhaled my share of second hand weed, but no, I wouldn't touch the stuff...

stevieray
07-03-2001, 06:10 PM
hmmmmpht...here...

Loves how most parts start with, well, not me...

And you think Kphobia is funny straight....

tommykat
07-03-2001, 06:12 PM
Just my opions for what they are worth but....

1. You have to remember that a lot of the players come from the streets and/or are just street smart. Most don't even get an agent and if they do, it's usually not a good one in the since that they will help them put their money in things that will continue to draw them money for the rest of their lives. I guess you could look at Derrick Thomas and what happened to all he had made. And nothing was left there. Unfortunetly most of them make a lot of money so fast that they simply are not ready to handle it and are to young and niave about it.

2. Actually, people that are in prision for drugs will be there longer than about 99% of people that do murder. Something really is wrong with our judicial system in this area. However, pot may not be additive to some, it depends on whether they have the additive personalities. If they do, more times than not they will move on to something more exciting to them.

3. I'm 42 and in the 70's when I was in high school pot was prevalint everywhere you turned. As for myself? I tried it and ended up in the hospital with my heart going over 240 times a minute. Fun?? NOT AT ALL!!! But I went to Jamacia a few years back and did try it agian. I thought it was legal there. Everyone was smoking pot around the pools, beaches, in the hotels..you name it. So being the blonde and alot niave I tried it again. This time I did like it....made me laugh and limber like rubber. But after a couple of tokes, I was gone...So after that stayed with the diet coke and water. I'd say most at my age tried or were around it, but I don't see that I am a bad person for trying it. I learned a valuable lesson in the hospital and the cost of trying something that was suspose to be fun..:rolleyes:

4. So Morris, Vanover etc....those guys got what they deserved because it wasn't just pot as some have said. Again, to stress my opion, people in prision for drugs can kiss their lives away and commit murder and be out in 10 years or less. <<I'd say something is wrong with that picture!:confused:

47mack
07-04-2001, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by tommykat
Just my opions for what they are worth but....

1. You have to remember that a lot of the players come from the streets and/or are just street smart. Most don't even get an agent and if they do, it's usually not a good one in the since that they will help them put their money in things that will continue to draw them money for the rest of their lives.

2. Actually, people that are in prision for drugs will be there longer than about 99% of people that do murder.

1. Then get a second job...a legal one. I am tired of people feeling sorry for these individuals. Pro athletes have it made, but that isn't good enough. I don't have an agent to offer me investment advice, but I know what to do with my money.

2. Prove it.

Are we really going to start the MJ debate again???

htismaqe
07-05-2001, 08:05 AM
47mack,

I don't really have the time, but if it is necessary to prove it, I can. I would rather, in this case, you take my word for it. I think you know I'm not the kind to make **** up.

On average, a person caught with 1 pound of marijuana does 13 years in prison. The average person found guilty of 2nd degree murder does 7.5 years.

BIG_DADDY
07-05-2001, 01:07 PM
However, I think the personality trait that allows people to have the willingness to try something illegal is what ultimately pushes them into other illegal products...Doing something illegal and getting away with it is a rebellious high for many people. Once they are bored with MJ they will go looking for something in order to find that rebellious thrill.

You act like this is a BAD trait. :D Believe me, you can do almost anything anymore and it will be against the law. You used to have to do something pretty heinus to pick up a felony. Now most crimes are felonies.

htismaqe,

GREAT points and a prime example of what I was trying to say.

Clint,

Can't believe I agree with you again. :eek:

tommykat
07-05-2001, 01:33 PM
47mack
Hey.....I wasn't standing up for any of them in prision! I was stating facts as tactfully as I could. They are thrown into making money so fast and fame that most of them do not know how to handle it. They just don't have the common sense that the average person does.
THAT IS WHY I CALLED IT STREET SMART...AKA...DRUGS, whatever.
That is usually the enviroment a lot of them come from and why they tend to end up in trouble.:rolleyes:

BIG_DADDY
07-05-2001, 02:07 PM
BTW, I do agree that it is just freakin brainless to get paid what these guys do and risk it over some stupid sh!t.

Skip Towne
07-05-2001, 02:18 PM
You are right, Big Daddy, about everything being felonies these days. In the 1950's you had to rob or kill to get a felony. If you have a drug related felony in Kansas and are later caught with ANY amount of MJ, another felony. Who makes these laws?????

bkkcoh
07-05-2001, 02:23 PM
There isn't very legislation that is worth while anymore because if it is too tough, the liberals cry foul and if it is too lax, the conservatives don't like it.

That law was probably passed because a neighbor's son was killed or something because of a guy with a prior. on the sruface the law looks ok at best, but it is because they tried to do something about a problem that should be looked at instead of the outcome of the fix to the problem.

BIG_DADDY
07-05-2001, 02:27 PM
It is certainly NOT the voters. Whenever we vote for something (medical MJ) they just overrule us anyway. Whatever happened to BY the people and FOR the people. :confused:

BIG DADDY

Thinks the taxation rate in this country is the REAL crime that effects most of us.

47mack
07-06-2001, 03:17 PM
htismaqe

I find those numbers hard to believe, but I will take your word for it.