PDA

View Full Version : Time for me to rant

Raiderhader
07-03-2001, 10:57 PM
OK, I am really pi$$ed off! I have to work tomorrow, a day which means a great deal to me. And it isn't the fact that I am stuck working it, it is the fact that the d@mned place is even open! What the he!!? Our nations birthday, a major national holiday, and businesses are going to be open. What the he!!? Sure we are closing shop about 2 hrs early (by the way, if any of you in the KC area are ever in the Best Buy across from Oak Park mall, look for the studley young man with Jamie on his name tag at the register and come through and say hi. But not tomorrow, or I might strangle you), but big friggin' deal! I live in the big city now and can't shoot off fire works in town, and since practicaly my whole day is going to be spent at work I can't get out of town to go shoot some (this will be the first year I have missed that tradition, and as you can tell I am none to pleased with the fact). But the whole mind set behind this is ridiculous. It is all about the dollar. And I don't blame people for wanting to make money, but when you force someone to give up a major holiday for you to do so is just plain wrong. If you want to spend that day working, knock yourself out! But don't make other people do the same.

A while back on Pigskin Park we got into a disscusion about the commercialization of holidays, and I and someone else (I think it was Mark Kilgore) made the point that those days only become commercialized if you allow them to. I would like to ammend that point a little, the commercialization can be forced on you if you are forced to work that holiday, a day that most people have off. Anyway, I had better quit now before the vessle in my fore explodes and gets blood all over the computer.

Since I can't do what I had originally planned to do on the board for the Fourth (work has kinda gotten in the way), I'll just end this post by saying happy Birthday America! May God's blessings pour out upon our great nation, and may liberty continue to flourish!

KS Smitty
07-03-2001, 11:15 PM
Jamie,
What a bummer!!! I agree with you that this is one of the best holidays ever! We still can shoot off pretty much what we want so it'll be a good 4th for us. We have a nephew that will be 7 tomorrow and lives in Shawnee and can't even shoot off anything for his birthday, boy what a drag!!!!
We will be working the consession stand for our parks dep't tomorrow but we also get first and last choice on any fireworks. Then we'll spend 2-3 hours puttin on a show for ourselves. I will drink many Bud Lights for ya and maybe cry in one too.

GOD (or whoever or no one) BLESS AMERICA!!!

Smitty

Frazod
07-03-2001, 11:21 PM
That sucks, Jamie. I know how you feel - I've worked every Veterans Day since I've f#cking been one.

I'm assuming they're paying you double time. They damn well should.

Will proudly fly my flag tomorrow. God Bless America!

Raiderhader
07-03-2001, 11:22 PM
I will drink many Bud Lights for ya and maybe cry in one too.

I'd appreciate it Smitty. I will most assuredly have to have some kind of adult beverage once I get home, a brew to go with my brooding. Ah well, such as life. Guess I had better just get used to it. Like my Dad told me the other night, work will dictate my life untill I am in a position to dictate it, and that will take a minimum of 15 - 20 years. Oh joy, oh rapture! :(

Raiderhader
07-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Fraz,
the one bright spot is the double overtime pay, but that won't look too bright until I have the check in my hand. But even at that, I will still be pi$$ed (granted a little less so once the check arrives, but pi$$ed none the less), because of the principle behind it. Unlike these corp. execs, money isn't every thing to me. I no what to prize and cherish most in life. The really angering thing is the though that while I am making money for those execs, they are taking a holiday off and enjoying themselves. If they want that extra dollar so bad, they should come work the stores and earn it themselves.

Hader,
needs to pull back, the vein is popping out again

keg in kc
07-03-2001, 11:58 PM
Jamie, just to play devil's advocate for a second - if people didn't shop on holidays there wouldn't be any reason to have the stores open in the first place. In other words, if you're going to blame the execs, then you've got to lay some blame on the shoulders of the consumer too...

Relax, though, my friend. I've been there a number of times too (working Christmas sucks, trust me), and the best thing you can do is just concentrate really, really hard on that paycheck, and try to forget what day it is until you get off...

Phobia
07-04-2001, 12:02 AM
I worked from 8 AM yesterday until 3:00 AM this morning. Back at work at 10:00 AM - still here and don't anticipate being through until at least 10:00 AM tomorrow.

The life of a Network Consultant when a server is **** up.....

Raiderhader
07-04-2001, 12:06 AM
Phobia,
you have my sympathy. That really sucks.

Keg,
to continue your little game - the consumer wouldn't be buying anything if the store wasn't open. They are merely taking advantage of greedy business owners. Besides, who on earth goes shopping on a major national holiday? In that aspect I agree, the consumer not only is the problem, but has some problems as well.:rolleyes:

Brock
07-04-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by raiderhader
Besides, who on earth goes shopping on a major national holiday?

You're about to find out. I am betting you'll be swamped.

Frazod
07-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Well, I won't be shopping tomorrow. I plan on sleeping till noon then going over to a friend's house for lots of beer and BBQ. Fireworks are illegal here (what fascist crap), but we'll probably take in the city display tomorrow night.

Not to rub it in, Jamie, but rather to let you know I'm not part of the problem...

The Bad Guy
07-04-2001, 12:26 AM
Jamie,

I feel for you. Last year I was in the same boat as you were when I worked for Blockbuster Video.

However, there is something worse than working on the 4th, it's working on XMas day.

You would be amazed at the amount of people that were lined up at 10:00 on that morning to rent tapes, it was ridiculous.

I wanted to strangle every one of them and ask if they had families to spend the day with.

Keg is right, blame the consumer as to why your open. If companies weren't turning over a profit on holidays, you would never be open on those days.

CASHMAN
07-04-2001, 12:35 AM
raiderhater= i hear you i am the boss and i am working on the 4th but like you and everyone else knows we will be busy as he$$ and i will like that as for working x-mas not yet and if they ever say we have to i will NOTT!!!! the 4th is the biggest day we are up against this week. and if i make it by the BEST-BUY i will say hello i allways go to the one on 119th which is closer to my house sorry. :( :o

Raiderhader
07-04-2001, 12:54 AM
Not to rub it in, Jamie, but rather to let you know I'm not part of the problem...

Oh, how nice of you! !%$@#**&%^###! J/K (kinda)

Brock,
I was talking to one of the other empolyees and he said the GM was expecting a big day, and I am sitting here thinking what the f***!? Big day? What about all the picnics and adult beverages, and fireworks, and going out the lake, and all the other good stuff? Why the he!! would you want to go be hassled by a bunch of sales personnel when you could be enjoying all those other things? You know, some times I am tempted to agree with the liberal notion that we humans are stupid and need help (yes I know shame on me. Trust me, the thought doesn't last long).

Frank,
BLOCKBUSTER IS OPEN ON CHRISTMAS DAY!?!?!? WHAT THE HE!! IS HAPPENING TO OUR SOCIETY? And I still blame the companies, if they weren't open, then the consumer wouldn't be buying.

Cash,
pay no attention to my earlier statement about strangling any of you who come in (since it appears it had no weight anyway), It would be nice to actually meet someone from the board. And a friendly face might help, if ever so little, with my day. Cause I assure you I won't be a happy camper (of course the customer won't see that, or won't most of the time). So if you are in the neighborhood, do stop in. I won't bite, too hard.:D

splatbass
07-04-2001, 12:56 AM
It's not just commercial places that work on the 4th. Some of us that work for the military (contractor) also have to work. And we work so you have the freedom to complain!!

Raiderhader
07-04-2001, 01:05 AM
Bass,
I understand that there are certain jobs that just can't be dropped, i.e. police work, medical work, and military work. And I assure I have the utmost respect for those of you in those positions. But those positions are ones of importance to our society, selling electronics, while increasingly important, is not so demanding as to throw away a day that should be spent reflecting, remebering, and just plain livin' it up and enjoying our freedom. I believe I have a viable complaint, if thoust whishes to make a little extra dough by being open on a holiday, thoust should do it thine self, and let evryone else who doesn't wish to, go about enjoying their day.

You know this country is in it bad when we lose respect and reverence for ourselves.

mcan
07-04-2001, 01:09 AM
I have also worked at blockbuster, and AMC theatres. I had to work ALL of the hlidays at those places and was severely pissed off. However, now that I don't work at these places, I go every Christmas to see a movie. I also have worked every Christmas eve since I was 16. Except one. Now, I work midnight to 8:00 as a security guard. So I am getting paid time and 1/2 right now for sitting at a desk and talking to you guys while it's (technically) July 4th. yeppie!

California Injun
07-04-2001, 01:18 AM
Jaime,

Call in sick if this day means that much to you. What are they going to do, fire you?

If so, then move on. It's just a J-O-B.

After all, this holiday is to celebrate our INDEPENDENCE!!!!!

Raiderhader
07-04-2001, 01:25 AM
Injun,
I have thought about it, and i probably would get fired as I have already let it be known that I have a problem with the whole thing. I call in sick, they would be on to me for sure. And the job is important (although I am currently unhappy with it, and not just because if the issue being discussed), I need the money to go to school next year, I need it on my resume, and this particular job has opportunities for me to make decent money. And while the day is that important to me, it isn't just about the day, but the principle behind all of it. And besides, I have a responsibilty to show up and work, and It would take a much greater moral issue than this for me to shirk that responsibilty. I am better than that, and if I am so worried about principles, then I need to make sure i am following them as well.

Raiderhader
07-04-2001, 01:39 AM
D@mn, it is almost two in the morning, and from the sounds of things I have a busy day:rolleyes:, so I guess I had better catch a few z's because the last thing I need going in there tomorrow is a lack of sleep added to my already pi$$ed off attitude (that could make for some interesting exchanges with customers and bosses). So good night all, enjoy your day off those of you who are blessed to have it, and don't get too drunk:D

Hader,
needs his temperment sleep

hawaiianboy
07-04-2001, 02:20 AM
A very important day in history!

Not only is it INDEPENDENCE DAY.... it is

... AL DAVIS'S Birthday!!!

raiderhater, just tell your boss you need to go to the Church of Al to pay your respects.... you'll get the day off guaranteed!

California Injun
07-04-2001, 02:35 AM
It's Grandpa Al's birthday?

Hmmm... I'll grab a few stink bombs tomorrow to light off in his memory.:D

hawaiianboy
07-04-2001, 02:46 AM
It's also George Steinbrenner's.... All you need is Mark Cuban to make the ring complete...

47mack
07-04-2001, 04:53 AM
Jaime

It is 0448 and I am at work. Don't feel like you are alone. I can't remember the last time I didn't work on a holiday.

Please don't take California_Injun's advice to call in sick. It isn't fair to the other poeple that will have to work that much harder.

Raiderhader
07-04-2001, 09:01 AM
JQ,
Yeah I might get the day off if paying my respects to that old bird meant putting him (and the rest of us) out of misery. If my cause were that, I just might be able to pull it off. And what better way to observe the Fourth, than to do so with such a BIG bang.:D

Mack,
don't worry, I wouldn't leave my co-workers hangin' like that. I am not that selfish (it is just too bad that the company is).

old_geezer
07-04-2001, 09:33 AM
Hader

Sorry to hear you have to work this 4th. I would say I don't have to, but I've already done a load of laundry, washed and buffed the car, and replaced all the gravel that last night's downpour washed out of my drive. Love those days off. :confused:

Keep cool bro. Thanks for the info on where you work. I don't get to KC too much, but next time I'll try to stop in and sat hello. God bless,
Old_Geezer :cool:

alanm
07-04-2001, 10:00 AM
I too have to work today(Still working on a investigation) Hopefully we get to pop the bad guys next week. And the rest of you take it easy on my brothers in uniform. Use a designated driver if you plan to imbibe in the barley. Nothing ruins your day more then getting busted for DUI. Especially on a holiday.
Peace Alan :cool:

Zebedee DuBois
07-04-2001, 11:16 AM
Ahhh.... Capitalism at work! We wouldn't want to miss an oppurtunity to catch a dollar!

I've worked many a holiday, and it does suck. But, I have this one off. I bought a new gas grill yesterday, and I was thankful that someplace was open to fill the propane tank (I did have to call a few places to find an open store) so I can fix some burgers later to go with the beer.

Have a great 4th when you can everybody, and don't blow off anything you might want to use later! (fingers, ect.)

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2001, 12:00 PM
Well, not to rub it in or anything, but I was off Tuesday and I`m off today. Just to add icing on the cake, I don`t go back to work until Monday - all paid! Except for Sat. & Sun.:D

CASHMAN
07-04-2001, 07:22 PM
just got back from work and going to enjoy watching some fireworks and some good movies good that i am off tomorow and then 2 more days and i am on vacation. and today was a great day made alot of $$$$$$$ so i am happy day went very well no complaints here.:D :D

Raiderhader
07-05-2001, 12:03 AM
Well I can say with ease that this is the worse Fourth I have ever had. Work dragged on and on and just wouldn't end. Then tonight we went to see the display out in Olathe, and it was really pretty good, all sixty seconds of it (if that long). Something went wrong and they all went off at about the same time, and we could see a fire after it was done. A fire truck and everything showed up. So a day spent working instead of celebrating, and a bum evening.:(

Hader,
needs to quit wallowing in self pity, but just doesn't feel like it right now

California Injun
07-05-2001, 12:13 AM
I told you to call in sick yesterday evening.

As for those co-workers who would have busted tail in your absence? Who cares? They may have cursed you publicly but secretly they probably wished they had your juevos.

Unless this position is your final goal in life, then suck it up and toe the company line. Methinks you have bigger and better fish to fry so next time feign excitement at work and then drop the "sick bomb" the following day.

Screw those Commie's that have no historical backbone on what made this country so great!!!!!

Raiderhader
07-05-2001, 12:24 AM
Injun,
last night I kept talking about the principle of having the day off in the first place, am I then going to turn around and ignore the principle of fulfilling my oblagations? Or the principle of helping out my co-workers? If I did I would be a hypocrite.

Hader,
firmly believes that two wrongs do not a right make

California Injun
07-05-2001, 12:35 AM
Maybe. But a hypocrite that would have enjoyed his 4th, no?

You're a relatively new guy in the employment industry so I can admire your committment to your present job. But after a few more jobs you are going to realize that these corporations don't give a rats rectum about you as an individual. You're just a number and your co-workers are pseudo friends at this moment.

Change jobs and you never see these clown again. The only thing you have in common with your co-workers is you have to punch the clock with them. Now you may share a brew together every odd Friday and/or put your name in the office pool during the Super Bowl or NCAA tournament but that is it.

Whatever line of work you hope to attain in your future it had better come with some independence!! Throw in some flexibility as an added bonus and you're on your way.

Raiderhader
07-05-2001, 12:42 AM
Actually had I called in sick I wouldn't have enjoyed my Fourth any more than I did, my conscience would be knawing at me like crazy.

As for my co-workers, we may not be "friends", but that is besides the point, I would have wanted to kill one of them if they did that and left me holding the bag, so I am not about to do it to them.

I understand that corps don't care about me or other employees (that was painfully obvious today), but should I sink to their level, or be the honorable person I was brought up to be?

Hader,
still doesn't think two wrongs make a right