PDA

View Full Version : Honest Q: Who spells Smith on running downs?

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 05:35 PM
My question is, who spells Smith on running downs?
Somebody has to tote the rock.

If not KW, then who?

And who gets the totes if Smith gets injured?

And does it even matter? Our rushing production was abysmal with LJ running it. Running downs are basically a charade designed to keep defenses biting on play action. Our rushing attack has produced: More 3-and-outs than any team in the NFL; More plays for no gain or lost yardage than any team in the NFL; Fewer rushing YPG than nearly any team in the NFL.Smith's 8 carries for 17 yards (or whatever it was) Sunday doesn't exactly fill my heart with hope...

:sulk:

CupidStunt
11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
This fatazz practice squad guy, apparently.

Cochise
11-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Boone

Bump
11-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't think it even matters at this point who carries the rock. Our running game is that bad, especially when the defense knows you are going to do it every time.

Rain Man
11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
There was one play last week after Holmes went out where Kolby lost his helmet and was feeling for blood on his nose. I was wondering who would be the running back if he had been injured, and I didn't think we had one.

If he goes down, I guess we go with five wides and put a smile on Kevin Gilbride's face.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
This fatazz practice squad guy, apparently.

With a play-not-to-lose mentality, do you really think this staff puts in a guy who may whiff on blitz pick ups or miss assignments because he's ice cold and not really fluent in the playbook (yes, we all know there are only 6 plays in the playbook - got it)?

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 05:40 PM
There was one play last week after Holmes went out where Kolby lost his helmet and was feeling for blood on his nose. I was wondering who would be the running back if he had been injured, and I didn't think we had one.

If he goes down, I guess we go with five wides and put a smile on Kevin Gilbride's face.

We're all joking, but honestly, I am looking for Wilson and Grigsby to be the emergency plan. Its that bad.

Mr. Plow
11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
It's called a pass. If you don't have a viable option at running, you throw. It's logic.

RJ
11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
I say if Smith gets hurt we take our ball and go home.

NUMBER7
11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
It's called a pass. If you don't have a viable option at running, your throw. It's logic.

That is correct Mr. Plow...set to TEs back for QB protection...line up and pass...we have no running game...ultimately we are doomed.
:banghead:

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
It's called a pass. If you don't have a viable option at running, your throw. It's logic.

That's liable to lead to arena league scoring. Nice try.

Mr. Plow
11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
That's liable to lead to arena league scoring. Nice try.

Oh no. Your missing the point. We only get down to the opponents 40 yard line. At which point, we immediately punt. Crossing the 40 is like scoring for this offense anyway.

CupidStunt
11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
With a play-not-to-lose mentality, do you really think this staff puts in a guy who may whiff on blitz pick ups or miss assignments because he's ice cold and not really fluent in the playbook (yes, we all know there are only 6 plays in the playbook - got it)?

Who else can Croyle PHYSICALLY hand the football off to?

Because you know Herm is too scared to compensate for the weakness at RB with more passes. Someone, no matter how much of a scrub they are, is getting the rock (when Kolby takes a breather).

All signs point to it being the only other RB on the roster.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Who else can Croyle PHYSICALLY hand the football off to?

Because you know Herm is too scared to compensate for the weakness at RB with more passes. Someone, no matter how much of a scrub they are, is getting the rock (when Kolby takes a breather).

All signs point to it being the only other RB on the roster.

Thank you. That's i was trying to say. Now, what if the 2nd RB is better than the 1st RB, even by dumb luck? Then what?

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh no. Your missing the point. We only get down to the opponents 40 yard line. At which point, we immediately punt. Crossing the 40 is like scoring for this offense anyway.

ROFL

Skip Towne
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
That is correct Mr. Plow...set to TEs back for QB protection...line up and pass...we have no running game...ultimately we are doomed.
:banghead:
When you pass 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.

L.A. Chieffan
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
We have PASSING downs?

Mr. Plow
11-21-2007, 05:52 PM
We have PASSING downs?

They are called "drop off to the RB".

Demonpenz
11-21-2007, 05:53 PM
isn't kennison our 4th string qb?

NUMBER7
11-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Absolutely.

L.A. Chieffan
11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
That quote is outdated. Technically 4 things can happen including PI calls. That's 2 good things and 2 bad things.
But 50% still sucks compared to running draws on third and 10! RIGHT HERM!

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 06:06 PM
According to the Hermanator (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/21/qa_with_herm_edwards__1121/), its Gilbert (who?) Harris...

Q: What can this kid do? How many carries for him?

EDWARDS: Well find out. I dont know if its 20 right away. Gilbert Harris is going to have to carry the ball some too. Well mix it up with both of them. You have to be able to run the football. Theres no doubt about it. You cant play one-handed. Itll kind of be interesting.

Q: Give me something interesting about Gilbert Harris? I dont know anything about him?

EDWARDS: Hes a tweener, big and strong. Little bit of a tailback/fullback type. Good hands, big strong running back. I liked him when he came out of Arizona. He was out for a year and then we brought him in. Hes another kind whos paid his dues, during training camp, been a practice squad guy. I walked up to him today and he looked at me and said, Im not scared. Kolby followed him and I said, Ok, its you two guys turn. Lets go.

Thats how weve done things here. Ive said publicly that this is a transition year for us. We knew that. There are a lot of young players all of a sudden playing. You think about the draft choices and free agents who are playing for us right now. There are a lot of them playing and a lot of them are starting for us. Its good for this football team.
I dont think any veteran player is going to worry about Kolby Smith or Gilbert Harris going in the game.

L.A. Chieffan
11-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I remember watching this guy in the Pac-10.

Ummm he sucks.

Rain Man
11-21-2007, 06:11 PM
We're all joking, but honestly, I am looking for Wilson and Grigsby to be the emergency plan. Its that bad.

Do you remember Rod Berstine of the Chargers? That's the only time I've ever seen a tight end even attempt to convert to a running back. It worked well for Bernstine, but I've got to think that the odds are stacked against it.

That said, Wilson almost looks more like a running back than a tight end, so maybe he is indeed our Plan Z.

NUMBER7
11-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Carl is pretty nervous about the no-shows Sunday...and chance that this game will not be blacked out? I am going, I just want to record the game in HD.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Do you remember Rod Berstine of the Chargers? That's the only time I've ever seen a tight end even attempt to convert to a running back. It worked well for Bernstine, but I've got to think that the odds are stacked against it.

That said, Wilson almost looks more like a running back than a tight end, so maybe he is indeed our Plan Z.

I forgot all about Berstine. I remember him running over us more than once.

I agree, KW is worth a shot, but Herm just brought in Gilbert Harris...

Easy 6
11-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Boone

As messed up as it sounds, i COULD see putting him in in goal line once in awhile, ala the Fridge.

Mr. Laz
11-21-2007, 06:29 PM
doesn't matter...

according to many around here the only thing that matters is the OLINE.

coaching desn't
QB doesn't
RB doesn't
playcalling sure as hell doesn't

so unless kris wilson play tackle :shrug:

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Apparently its RB Gilbert Harris (thread here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175092))...

StcChief
11-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Boomer leading Harris

buickboy71
11-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Well, if we run out of running backs, I bet Herm will have Brodie kneel it. We cant take a chance throwing the ball on third down! That way we have no chance of a turnover. LOL! ROFL

thurman merman
11-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Boone

ROFL

MadMax
11-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Well, if we run out of running backs, I bet Herm will have Brodie kneel it. We cant take a chance throwing the ball on third down! That way we have no chance of a turnover. LOL! ROFL

Play number 7 in the playbook... Huard did it well, except the turnover part :)

stumppy
11-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Play number 7 in the playbook... Huard did it well, except the turnover part :)

That's play 7-H
Any play that has "assume the fetal position" as an option is always followed by an H for Huard.

MadMax
11-22-2007, 02:14 AM
That's play 7-H
Any play that has "assume the fetal position" as an option is always followed by an H for Huard.

ROFL!!! nice :) actually sad for us :(

L.A. Chieffan
11-22-2007, 09:18 AM
where have you been all yr...thats 3rd down.

I know the formula gets confusing (at least for Solari) but its:
run, run, pass, punt.

RRPP for short hand or R2P2.
http://www.chilehardware.com/foro/customavatars/avatar27077_1.gif
We run draw plays on 3rd down. Where have you been all year?

milkman
11-22-2007, 09:54 AM
It's called a pass. If you don't have a viable option at running, you throw. It's logic.

Logic requires intelligence.