PDA

View Full Version : Most steroid users are not athletes: study

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2007, 10:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071121/hl_nm/steroid_users_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Contrary to the popular image of the typical steroid user -- a teenage athlete trying to get an edge or a professional competitor who wants to win -- many users are in their 20s and 30s, well-educated and don't even play sports, a study suggests.

In a survey of nearly 2,000 U.S. men who used anabolic steroids, researchers found that the majority began using the hormones as adults, and most were not motivated by sports.

Instead, the typical user was a white male around the age of 30 who was educated, earned an above-average income and was not particularly athletic. In fact, most men abused steroids to look better, the researchers report in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.

"In total, our findings belie the images of (steroid) users as mostly risk-taking teenagers, cheating athletes, and a group akin to traditional drug abusers," according to Jack Darkes of the University of South Florida, Tampa, and co-investigators.

For the study, the researchers recruited 1,955 male steroid users from Web sites dedicated to strength training and muscle-enhancing substances, mass emails and print media. The men completed surveys on their background, lifestyle habits and the history of their steroid use.

On average, the study found, steroid users were 31 years old, and three quarters were college graduates. Most had "white-collar" jobs and relatively high incomes.

When asked about their motivation for using steroids, most said they wanted to boost their muscle mass, strength and physical attractiveness.

Only 6 percent said their steroid use was driven by bodybuilding or sports. In fact, most said they had never been in organized sports, even in high school.

The results suggest that most efforts to prevent steroid abuse, by focusing on young athletes, have misses the mark, according to the researchers. "The targeting of athletes through drug testing and other interventions does little to address use among non-competitive users," they write.

Steroid abuse, the researchers point out, has held steady, if not increased, in the U.S. This, they add, may be related to the fact that the largest segment of steroid abusers -- adult non-athletes -- has been "virtually invisible."

SOURCE: Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, online October 11, 2007

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/323/400104d96532b483sko2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mecca
11-21-2007, 11:10 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all......

The real question that should be asked is, why is this country one of the very few where steroids are illegal?

Pablo
11-21-2007, 11:13 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all......

The real question that should be asked is, why is this country one of the very few where steroids are illegal?Because we're the sexiest group of mothaf*ckas on this planet, and we just want to look better.

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2007, 11:13 PM
why is this country one of the very few where steroids are illegal?

lol

Mecca wants hard abs.

Mecca
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
LOL...I think it is an honest question. There are things that are illegal in this country that nearly every other so called "1st world nation" haven't made illegal...marijuana and steroids are good examples.

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
LOL...I think it is an honest question. There are things that are illegal in this country that nearly every other so called "1st world nation" haven't made illegal...marijuana and steroids are good examples.

Steroids destroy your body. Do you need another reason?

Tribal Warfare
11-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Yep, in the gym we call those guys supplement babies

Mecca
11-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Steroids destroy your body. Do you need another reason?

You do realize most of the info out on steroids isn't exactly correct right? Much like the whole refer madness crap that was out years ago when they wanted to make everyone think that was bad right?

There's tons upon tons of steroid misinformation out there, steroids destroy your body if you abuse them much like anything else. If you abuse alcohol it will destroy your body.

There's use and abuse just like anything else.

penguinz
11-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Steroids destroy your body. Do you need another reason?If taken properly they do not destroy your body.

Silock
11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
If taken properly they do not destroy your body.

Most people on steroids don't take them properly, nor do they cycle correctly. Hell, most people don't even understand what they do.

It's just another symptom of the instant gratification society we are. Amateur lifters that don't even give diet and exercise a fair shake jump right into steroids thinking that they're going to get huge quick. The reality is that you can get pretty huge and ripped with the right diet and exercise, and if you're an amateur, it's easy to see results doing most anything. They also don't realize that it still takes work to see results while you're on steroids.

People are just retarded.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2007, 11:40 PM
God, I remember this guy who used to sell 'roids at the Rec Center. I knew him pretty well. About a year before he started pushing gas, he was doing a set of 135 without a spotter. Lo' and behold, he tried to do too many and had to beg for a spotter to help him out. I went over and spotted him, but probably shouldn't have done it.

There was another 'roid boy at the Rec who you really couldn't consider an athlete, all he did was play marginal D II football. That guy looked more roided up than Lex Luger. Stupid f*ck would scream like he cleaved his taint every time he did a squat--like everyone was there to watch him try and lift too much weight.

Ehh, meatheads, what are you gonna do :shrug:

Valiant
11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
****ing guidos...

BWillie
11-22-2007, 12:46 AM
This really isn't news to me. When you pick up bodybuilding mags, they are all geared to roid taking meatheads. These work outs are designed to take advantage of your body virtually never needing recovery time. This is why so many novice lifters don't get the results they should, and 90% of those not juicing overtrain because of these regimes. I would say about 1/4 of the "serious" lifters at 24 hour fitness juice regularly or occasionally.

Many guys that use roids have a sort of OCD, just a huge desire to look jacked. What is sad is most people with hard work, dedication, and knowledge can achieve great physiques. I have just about the worst genetics known to man and I've been able to have formidable results. Some of my friends don't do anything, have horrible nutrition, and slack off at the gym and still achieve good results. I don't think steroids are as bad as most people make them out to be, but they definitely aren't good for you either. Too many people use them because they are just lazy. That alone is why I'm happy they are illegal.

mcan
11-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Probably not the best way to get a true sample. They got their data from a website that caters to 30 somethings who want to look good naked... Most of the jocks who do steroids get them from trainers and never go to those sites.

As for steroids being bad for you... It REALLY depends on what and how much you are taking. But keep in mind that you can take a whole lot more of any type of anabolic steroid than you can aspirin.