PDA

View Full Version : Tony Who?

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/704316.html

It’s obvious now: some players at One Arrowhead Drive are pretty upset with the way things are going on offense, and it’s not hard to see why.

The Chiefs rank 30th in yards, 30th in scoring and 28th in third-down conversion percentage. These sorts of numbers do not lend themselves to peace and quiet during the week.

Tuesday, Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards attempted to quash any such complaining, saying that while players may be frustrated, sometimes they don’t see the big picture.

“I always found out this about players: they play the positions, they’re not really orchestrating the game plan,” said Edwards. “They don’t look at the whole game and how it’s being played out. They look at their position and go, ‘I wish we could have done this or that.”

Today we won’t attempt to pass judgment. It’s not our place to say the players are right or the coaches are wrong or who should be fired or hired or any of that. All we will attempt to do is offer an explanation for the “grumbling,” as Nick Athan put it Wednesday.

One such “grumbler” was tight end Tony Gonzalez, who has never shied away from voicing his opinion when things aren’t going well in Kansas City. It happened earlier this season, when the Chiefs struggled in Chicago.

It happened again Sunday after the loss in Indianapolis, in which Gonzalez had just 46 receiving yards. Understand this came in a game where he dwarfed every linebacker (save one) and defensive back on the field by at least five inches. Tony Gonzalez is not used to such sub-par games against diminutive opponents.

So you can understand why he wasn’t particularly happy with the outcome. But if you fire up your Tivo and take another look at the game – and watch Gonzalez closely – you might begin to realize even more why he was upset. Here’s the reason inside the reason – Gonzalez was not going down the field.

The first pattern Gonzalez ran Sunday came on a third-and-six play with about six minutes left in the first quarter. He muscled his way off the line of scrimmage against Colts’ cornerback Marlin Jackson, stopped and turned around to face his quarterback, about seven yards down the field.

This would become a prevalent theme throughout the afternoon. All day long, Tony Gonzalez came off the line of scrimmage – sometimes fighting off a defender, sometimes with a free release – ran five, six, maybe seven yards, and turned around, waiting for a pass.

It was almost like he was stuck in some sort of NFL Groundhog Day. Sure, there were a few 10-yard crossing patterns thrown in – Gonzalez’s first catch of the day came on one off play action – but the Chiefs kept calling those short ones.

Then the Chiefs fell behind by a touchdown.

But Gonzalez kept running short. It was like he was trapped in this five to 10-yard area just north of the line of scrimmage, almost as if the colts had strategically placed invisible barriers all around the field. No corner routes, no posts, no out-and-up patterns, nothing. Despite that, the Chiefs started moving the football, arrived at the Indianapolis 40, and then things changed.

Gonzalez exploded off the line and raced 15 yards down the middle of the RCA Dome. The Colts were so shocked by this turn of events, Gonzalez was wide open, and caught a bullet from Brodie Croyle for an 18-yard gain. He was dinged on the play and headed to the sideline, but as soon as he came back, it was more of the same. On second down Gonzalez flew out of his stance, faked an out pattern and headed down the hash mark for the end zone. Croyle’s pass was overthrown, but it didn’t matter.

Again, one play later, Gonzalez raced down the field and beat his defender toward the end zone, only to see Dwayne Bowe haul in a big touchdown pass. The key here? Gonzalez’s presence held a safety in the middle of the field, leaving Bowe one-on-one on the outside.

So the Chiefs had tied the game. Their defense stopped Peyton Manning on the ensuing possession. What happened next?

You guessed it – Tony Gonzalez went back to living as close to the line of scrimmage as possible. The Chiefs ran the ball a few times, unsuccessfully, Gonzalez blocked, and he ran a few more short routes that scared absolutely no one. The Chiefs punted, the Colts scored with a few seconds left on the clock, and eventually won.

The other part of this equation is Indy’s defense – the Cover 2. Everyone knows there’s a weakness down the middle of that defense. It would seem a great way to exploit that might be with a Hall of Fame tight end.

And hey, we’re not saying it would have worked Sunday in Indianapolis. If the Chiefs had run Gonzalez deep down the field all day, maybe Croyle would have been hit all day waiting for him to get open, perhaps Gonzalez would have taken a massive shot from Colts’ safety Bob Sanders, and the Chiefs might have been shut out.

But if you wanted to know the reason why Tony Gonzalez was so upset after the Colts beat the Chiefs last Sunday, it’s conceivable that we’ve discovered it. Hopefully, he won’t be too upset next week.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 11:21 PM
It never fails to amaze me that a team with TG on its roster takes so little advantage of such superior talent. There are almost no LBs and few DBs who can cover #88. Give Huard credit for that - his 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads were all #88.

Anyone who plays Madden football knows that TG is golden.

chiefbowe82
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
yeah running a draw everytime on 2 and 18 or 16 or whatever is a great plan, everyone knows it's coming. Throw a cotton picken 8 yard pass and set your TEAM UP WITH A MANAGABLE THIRD DOWN. I will NOT tolerate NOT trying. I'm not the smartest guy but even I can figure out, your doing a draw on 2nd and long. You've got to improvise a little bit. GET A CLUE!

petegz28
11-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Correction GOATSE: Everyone knows a Cover 2 is weak down the middle except Mike Solari

greg63
11-22-2007, 12:46 AM
It never fails to amaze me that a team with TG on its roster takes so little advantage of such superior talent. There are almost no LBs and few DBs who can cover #88. Give Huard credit for that - his 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads were all #88.

Anyone who plays Madden football knows that TG is golden.

At the risk of continually repeating myself: Herm Edwards and Solari are idiots.

That is all.

Pablo
11-22-2007, 12:48 AM
When I play Madden, Tony gets 50% of my passes. If you play a really good defense, he can be held back a bit..but he is golden.

And yes..in real life he's even better.

Tell 'em Tony..you still got the goods to put up some major numbers..let em know you want Brodie to rocket balls your way and get this thing going.

Dylan
11-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Wow. ... He wrote a good article.

I really fell bad for Gonzalez -- while Herm went home and slept like a baby.

Gonzalez needs more than message to blow off steam, he needs to have a unified front and more of a voice. The only thing he has right now is his All-Pro skills.

Shame

Dylan
11-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Correction GOATSE: Everyone knows a Cover 2 is weak down the middle except Herm Edwards

Sorry, I had to fix it. The article made me mad.

MadMax
11-22-2007, 02:47 AM
yeah running a draw everytime on 2 and 18 or 16 or whatever is a great plan, everyone knows it's coming. Throw a cotton picken 8 yard pass and set your TEAM UP WITH A MANAGABLE THIRD DOWN. I will NOT tolerate NOT trying. I'm not the smartest guy but even I can figure out, your doing a draw on 2nd and long. You've got to improvise a little bit. GET A CLUE!

You can't cotton pick anything with this squad " according to Squirm " otherwise your looking down the corn field for a corn shucker...I hear ya, my 9 year old son can call the plays beforehand :/

Guru
11-22-2007, 03:26 AM
You can't cotton pick anything with this squad " according to Squirm " otherwise your looking down the corn field for a corn shucker...I hear ya, my 9 year old son can call the plays beforehand :/
Herm - I felt we were safe with a 6 point lead.

VS FAVRE!!!!!!!! WHAT?

this is what I want the media to ask at his next presser....

Herm, are you STUPID!!!!???

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Herm - I felt we were safe with a 6 point lead.

VS FAVRE!!!!!!!! WHAT?

this is what I want the media to ask at his next presser....

Herm, are you STUPID!!!!???

"Well at the end of the day"

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Herm, who got his first coaching gig without ever having been a coordinator, chastizes a HOF player because he doesn't understand how to gameplan.

That's f*cking rich.

Guru
11-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Herm, who got his first coaching gig without ever having been a coordinator, chastizes a HOF player because he doesn't understand how to gameplan.

That's f*cking rich.
We have a game plan?

Fruit Ninja
11-22-2007, 04:09 AM
How about we put the ball in the hands of Payton Manning. Lets see if he can beat us at home. Yeah, really freaking smart Herm.

I still do not get that shit WHY do you put the ball in Payton Mannings hand at the end of the game???? 9 out of 10 coaches would have tried to go for the score. Not Herm, he's that 1 ****ed up coach that does the wrong thing.

Guru
11-22-2007, 04:15 AM
How about we put the ball in the hands of Payton Manning. Lets see if he can beat us at home. Yeah, really freaking smart Herm.

I still do not get that shit WHY do you put the ball in Payton Mannings hand at the end of the game???? 9 out of 10 coaches would have tried to go for the score. Not Herm, he's that 1 ****ed up coach that does the wrong thing.
And truly believes that he does the right thing every time.

Chiefnj2
11-22-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm sick of Tony G's passive aggressive post game comments. The old "I don't agree with the playcalling, but I'm part of the team so I'll go along with it." Your the franchise player. If you are so upset with it walk to the sidelines and ****ing yell at the coach.

jjjayb
11-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm sick of Tony G's passive aggressive post game comments. The old "I don't agree with the playcalling, but I'm part of the team so I'll go along with it." Your the franchise player. If you are so upset with it walk to the sidelines and ****ing yell at the coach.

I would frigging love to see that. If it happened at home I bet the stadium would erupt in cheers.

Delano
11-22-2007, 08:09 AM

WTF

I've never seen someone pissed that the face of their favorite franchise is a classy individual.

Tribal Warfare
11-22-2007, 08:25 AM

That's f*cking rich.

I don't believe Herm will mend fences. Both have vastly different philosophies how they should run the offense. In this case Tony will win spat. Tony is the face of the franchise, and big money contract player too.

morphius
11-22-2007, 09:22 AM
And when you don't have to worry about a team throwing the ball more then 7 yards in the air the D can keep an eye on the running game. There is a reason that some of the only good running games now are teams that spread it out. But no, we bring in everyone but 1 WR so that there are 10 men in the box, or keep the Defense close to the LoS with short passes. Yup, the players don't make the game plan, they are just asked to try to run an inept one with a coach who doesn't understand why it doesn't work with the players on D getting faster all the time. Odd that the only guy in the league that would give Hackett a job can't get an offense running somewhere else.

Bwana
11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
We have a game plan?

Why sure.....keep it as close as you can and play to lose the game. I will be glad when Herm AND "Mr. 5 year plan Carl" pack their bags and hit the road. Until they are down the road, we can expect a lot more seasons like this one. :shake:

milkman
11-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Give Huard credit for what?

He didn't read.

He locked on, and if his first "read" wasn't open, he threw a checkdown.

beach tribe
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
It's painful being a Chiefs fan.

Easy 6
11-22-2007, 10:36 AM
If Herm doesnt change his tune soon, i'll be more than happy to join the crowd in calling for his head.

I think he will, he's STONE dumb about O...but he must know that he will lose the team if this continues. O leaders like TG need to keep the pressure up, Herm is Coughlin-like in his stubborness, but even 'ol Tom finally relented & started listening to his players...what happened after that???...the Giants started playing better.

Despite your D & drafts, you ARE on your last leg here Herm...DONT listen to the fans...but DO listen to your players & stop being so Goddamned smug about players needing to shut up & just execute your flawed plans.