PDA

View Full Version : WHITLOCK - Peterson canít admit he made a mistake with Holmes

Douche Baggins
11-21-2007, 10:52 PM
YES!!! TWIST THAT KNIFE BIG SEXY! ROFL

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/372196.html

Peterson canít admit he made a mistake with Holmes

Carl Peterson gave it a great effort, and Iím sure many of my media brothers fell for the snow job Peterson and Priest Holmes executed Wednesday afternoon.

But it took all of my power not to laugh out loud as Peterson tried to paint the picture that he didnít make a mistake giving Holmes a contract extension in 2003.

That was the purpose of Holmesí hastily called retirement news conference Wednesday. After bluffing and bullying his way to a renegotiated contract and $10 million guaranteed dollars before the 2003 season, Holmes played in 35 games, rushed for an additional 3,000 yards and spent more time in San Antonio than Kansas City over the next four years.

For the record, I was in favor of giving Holmes a new deal.

But Iím a sportswriter, not an NFL owner. Itís not my money. I donít pay a general manager millions of dollars to make sure I spend my money wisely. Clark Hunt does. Wednesdayís news conference was for the benefit of the Hunt family. The Hunts gave Holmes all that retro pay, and Iím sure when they gave it, they expected more return.

So Peterson had to sell them a story. He had to make them believe that bad luck and a fluke injury are the only reasons Holmes didnít justify his new deal with three or four additional seasons of Pro Bowl-caliber play.

And maybe thereís a grain of truth in that scenario.

But this is also true: Peterson should have never paid Priest Holmes once he drafted Larry Johnson. Well-run sports franchises ó the Colts and the Patriots ó cut bait with aging stars when theyíve identified a younger, cheaper successor.

When foolish decisions blow up in a team presidentís face, he tends to get a little embarrassed. When a team president doubles his embarrassment by giving a second, overused running back a record contract extension and that running back goes down eight games into a $47 million contract, the team president gets extremely defensive.

Thatís what we saw Wednesday. Peterson canít admit he made a mistake, so he sat in front of the media and gushed about what Holmes accomplished in 2001, 2002, 2003 and half of 2004.

Well, itís 2007, and the Chiefs donít have an experienced, reliable running back. Petersonís inability to move on from the mistake of giving Holmes a new contract made coach Herm Edwards deal with the forced/contrived Priest Holmes miracle comeback.

Edwards is trying to push the team forward and inject the roster with youth. Donít you ever believe he wanted anything to do with the comeback of a 34-year-old running back who long ago justifiably decided being a father was far more important than playing football again.

Rather than admit that he was wrong, Peterson traded away Kansas Cityís backup running back, Michael Bennett, to make room for Priest. Now Kansas Cityís inexperienced quarterback will take the field against the Raiders with Kolby Smith and Gilbert Harris at running back.

Rather than admit that he was wrong in giving 416-carry, malcontent running back Larry Johnson a new deal, Peterson refuses to divulge the nature and extent of Johnsonís injury and keeps selling the dream that Johnson will play again this season.

For the record, I never endorsed giving Johnson a new contract. I interviewed Johnson and gave him a chance to explain why he felt he deserved a new contract. I admit that the Johnson decision was an extremely difficult one for Peterson, and I canít blame him for giving Johnson the deal.

Again, Iím a sportswriter. Iím not Clark Hunt, an owner, a check-signer.

Clark Hunt should be asking Peterson some very difficult questions today. Clark Hunt should see right through the news-conference sideshow and all the celebrating of what Holmes did three years ago. NFL owners donít give back pay. They pay for future performance.

Peterson gave Holmes money when he was too old and had lost much of his passion for the game. Peterson gave Johnson money over the objections of Johnsonís teammates and when every bit of history predicted Johnson would get injured.

Petersonís inability to admit a mistake and refusal to commit full speed to rebuilding have long hamstrung this organization.

I respect what Priest Holmes did on Wednesday. He acknowledged he could no longer get it done and turned things over to Kolby Smith. Why is King Carl the lone man at Arrowhead unwilling to do this?

Douche Baggins
11-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't know who to believe.

Extra Point
"Let's watch a few hours worth of $20 Million film, Kolby. I'd hire Pat Sajak to award me some parting gifts, but I'd rather pocket the diff."

KCJohnny
I do think it was a mistake to give LJ an expensive long-term contract.

Extra Point
Hindsight's 20-20, but letting Bennett go was insane.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2007, 11:00 PM
That article is in really poor taste, IMO. The best back in our history just retired, a guy who set a single season NFL record for TD's, and Whitlock turns in another hitpiece on Peterson.

Jesus, the Chiefs should be flying their banners at half staff this week and the sports writers should be remembering one of the greatest players in the history of the franchise.

Donger
11-21-2007, 11:01 PM
That article is in really poor taste, IMO. The best back in our history just retired, a guy who set a single season NFL record for TD's, and Whitlock turns in another hitpiece on Peterson.

Jesus, the Chiefs should be flying their banners at half staff this week and the sports writers should be remembering one of the greatest players in the history of the franchise.

Agreed. Very poor taste and it smacks of juvenile behavior.

Douche Baggins
11-21-2007, 11:02 PM

ROFL

Aw, who cares? Peterson and Holmes can dry their tears with their benjamins.

I love Whitlock. He's so entertaining!

Clark Hunt should be FURIOUS with Carl Peterson.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 11:03 PM

True dat.

Mecca
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
He's right about the fact that 2 times in a row Carl paid guys that shouldn't have been paid.

'Hamas' Jenkins
ROFL

Sometimes Whitlock is an Internet Troll with an audience of a million. :shake:

Douche Baggins
Look at the smug look on Carl's face!

WE GOT PAID

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4930/644holmescarl290x156embou2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KcMizzou
11-21-2007, 11:06 PM

Jesus, the Chiefs should be flying their banners at half staff this week and the sports writers should be remembering one of the greatest players in the history of the franchise.I honestly expected better.

I figured jwhit would send Preist off with a column about how great he was for KC.

siberian khatru
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM

That's why the Star has JoPo.

Whitlock exists to stir the pot and sell papers. He's good at what he does.

KcMizzou
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Sometimes Whitlock is an Internet Troll with an audience of a million. :shake:Exactly.

:clap:

Sure-Oz
11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I honestly expected better.

I figured jwhit would send Preist off with a column about how great he was for KC.
He was probably pissed that his local Mcd's was out Mcrib's.

Douche Baggins
11-21-2007, 11:09 PM

Carl, Vermeil, Priest and even Joe Posnanski have sold Chiefs fans on the notion that Priest was somehow awesome for Kansas City.

What did he bring us? Some touchdowns? How many playoff wins? I seem to remember he fumbled in the only playoff game he played as a Chief.

Entertaining player for sure. But that's it. He's not our John Elway.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2007, 11:09 PM
He's right about the fact that 2 times in a row Carl paid guys that shouldn't have been paid.

Yeah, he's right, but it's still a ridiculous piece. At the very least, the fans of the Chiefs deserved a retrospective on his career and accomplishments, the good, bad, and ugly; It's just really petty of him to insert his dislike for Carl (which I personally share) into *this* discussion.

This is an article for the offseason, not the day of the retirement of a guy like Priest.

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM
entertaining and a great player. Did he fumble sure, but i think he had fumbled once or twice that entire year, Thats pretty damn good.

Whitlock could have waited a ****ing few days before he goes off on CP. It is in poor taste, but we really cant be suprised by this column. He seen a window open and he fit his fat ass through it.

Sure-Oz
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Carl, Vermeil, Priest and even Joe Posnanski have sold Chiefs fans on the notion that Priest was somehow awesome for Kansas City.

What did he bring us? Some touchdowns? How many playoff wins? I seem to remember he fumbled in the only playoff game he played as a Chief.

will you say the same gonzo and LJ when the same possibly doesn't happen for them too? Priest was a stud here, not his fault we had no defense.

BigRock
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Why? Clark Hunt has more money than he can spend in 5 lifetimes. You really think he's going to be bent out of shape about Priest's signing bonus, which Clark can probably find in the cushions of his couch? And the team is in fine cap shape. Paying LJ didn't prevent the team from re-signing Tony and it shouldn't prevent them from re-signing Allen.

So who exactly is being harmed here? You'd think the money came out of Whitlock's own pocket or something.

Otter
11-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Peterson should call it a night.

Valiant
11-22-2007, 01:20 AM

What are they going to do about JA then??

Redcoats58
11-22-2007, 01:27 AM

It takes a team. Have some respect for past players that were great for this franchise.

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:28 AM
holy shit seriously. A highlight film with 38 special

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:29 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KKRPz15wA7M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KKRPz15wA7M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Redcoats58
11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KKRPz15wA7M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KKRPz15wA7M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I think that is GoChiefs videos that someone stole and slapped that music on it.

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:35 AM
I think that is GoChiefs videos that someone stole and slapped that music on it.

yeah I know that. A couple things stand out. Yeah priest was a good running back but holy ****ing shit did that O line fire out and blow people off the ball and hold their blocks, and the guards get through the hole and have their head on a swivel and **** everyone in the second level. Then i think of someone in 238 land having 56.k modem and slapping this music to gc stuff

Douche Baggins
11-22-2007, 01:39 AM
That really pisses me off.

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:41 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xwl8yafutHY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xwl8yafutHY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Guru
11-22-2007, 01:43 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xwl8yafutHY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xwl8yafutHY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Ummm, OK?

KcMizzou
11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
That really pisses me off.That someone swiped your stolen work?

I hear ya though... only because you do it so much better.

No honor among thieves.

I'd bet you'd be happier with someone claiming the vid as their own, and not ****ing it all up with the changes.

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:47 AM
holy shit. Sometimes there are hits that are legendary. I heart mizzou. I remember this game and Man it doesn't look bad but it was one corby jones will remember forever. Jones a guy who ususally is more atheltic gets cut off!

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:51 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfkWuDTsicg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfkWuDTsicg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
11-22-2007, 01:57 AM
freaking DJ and Priest are texas legends

Mecca
11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
What are they going to do about JA then??

Not the same situation, I'd pay him. DE is a much more valuable and harder to fill position than RB is, not to mention they have greater longevity.

EPodolak
11-22-2007, 03:30 AM

Jesus. He did about all an RB can do for a team. I seem to recall defenses in the Holmes' era that were the laugh of the league though.

Micjones
11-22-2007, 04:11 AM

Kill yourself.

He was the best Runningback this franchise has ever known.
I'd hate to hear what you have to say about players like Neil Smith or Derrick Thomas.

jAZ
11-22-2007, 04:38 AM
F*ck Whitlock.

Priest earned that money the years before he signed the contract.

F*ck Whitlock.

Cochise
11-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Why was it wrong to give Priest an extension, but it was not wrong to give Larry Johnson one? Both went down shortly thereafter. It's not exactly money in the bank that Johnson is going to become the first guy ever to be successful after having so many carries. He could, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

jAZ
11-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Why was it wrong to give Priest an extension, but it was not wrong to give Larry Johnson one? Both went down shortly thereafter. It's not exactly money in the bank that Johnson is going to become the first guy ever to be successful after having so many carries. He could, but it's definitely not a sure thing.
Preist did more to earn his money before his extension than LJ did his.

Both had unfortunate results, and LJ might work out in the end. But Priest earned his money before getting it. LJ was on promise.

KC Tattoo
11-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Preist did more to earn his money before his extension than LJ did his.

Both had unfortunate results, and LJ might work out in the end. But Priest earned his money before getting it. LJ was on promise.

Imo LJ earned his paycheck last year. 416 times. We all expected LJ to be a beast again, we didn't think that the O line was going to be this bad, but it is. LJ is going to come back next year at full force. I'm not even worried about him. This wasn't going to be our year we new that going into this season. It sucks that we have an unimaginative coach that just runs one play. Up the buttox Wiegmann. It sucks that they waisted half a season on an old 11year career back up QB instead of going with the young golden arm QBOTF.

Chiefnj2
11-22-2007, 06:10 AM
F*ck Whitlock.

F*ck Whitlock.

I agree. Priest was supposed to be a third down back when he was signed and he exceeded all expectations and had the offense designed around him. He earned that big contract.

Whitlock has no credibility on this topic. He admits he thought PH should be paid, admits it was a tough decision on giving LJ a big contract, etc., but then says CP screwed up.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Imo LJ earned his paycheck last year. 416 times. We all expected LJ to be a beast again, we didn't think that the O line was going to be this bad, but it is. LJ is going to come back next year at full force. I'm not even worried about him. This wasn't going to be our year we new that going into this season. It sucks that we have an unimaginative coach that just runs one play. Up the buttox Wiegmann. It sucks that they waisted half a season on an old 11year career back up QB instead of going with the young golden arm QBOTF.

416 carries is a damn good reason you don't keep a RB, not a "this guy earned his money" thing.

Tribal Warfare
11-22-2007, 07:45 AM
This is no diffrent from when LJ came in relief of Holmes. These games will give Kolby invaluable game experience, and our RB situation will be that much better when we have an Oline next yr and LJ is back.

LJ will make a full recovery, and shall put fear into the opposition with out losing his quicks and power

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 07:46 AM

Yep. For hiring Herm and giving LJ an extension.

HypnotizedMonkey
11-22-2007, 08:04 AM
People would rather see Carl burned at the stake and look like a fool than to honor the best RB in KC history at the announcement of his retirement. That's pretty shallow. Whether Carl admits he made a mistake or not, he KNOWS he did NOW... surely he's not going to admit it at a retirement press conference. Come on.

Bugeater
11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm all for a good ol' Carl dogpile, but IMO this isn't the place for one. I can only imagine what the reaction would've been if he hadn't given Priest that extension in 2003.

BigRedChief
11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm all for a good ol' Carl dogpile, but IMO this isn't the place for one. I can only imagine what the reaction would've been if he hadn't given Priest that extension in 2003.
If LJ comes in and performs nothing. If LJ doesn't the fan base goes nuts. gain, King Carl does the safe, average move.

milkman
11-22-2007, 08:33 AM
F*ck Whitlock.

F*ck Whitlock.

Actually, Whitlock is right.

You don't sign aging stars to big money contracts.

The article is dead on.

Just badly timed.

Bugeater
11-22-2007, 08:43 AM
If LJ comes in and performs nothing. If LJ doesn't the fan base goes nuts. gain, King Carl does the safe, average move.
I'm not so sure, all you have to do is read some of the posts in this thread to see in what regard many fans hold Priest. I'd rather not go out on a limb and defend Carl, but he does just enough to keep most of the fans happy. Like it or not, that's how he's kept his job for so long.

scott free
11-22-2007, 08:46 AM
This is not the time to grind the axe of your personal vendetta Jason.

Terrible form.

Garcia Bronco
11-22-2007, 08:54 AM
YES!!! TWIST THAT KNIFE BIG SEXY! ROFL

You are the biggest POS fan I have ever come upon. You are below human and I am surprised they allow you to post here because you aren't a Chiefs fan

Boyceofsummer
11-22-2007, 08:59 AM
many here on this board said that these two moves by King Carl would backfire. Let's just move the discussion to the other forum. This I'm right and the world is wrong attitude has blown up in our faces and has become sickeningly predictable. Now back to great Chiefs coaching brought to you by Herm Edwards & Carl Peterson. Keep hands inside the ride at all times.

jjchieffan
11-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Screw that moron Whitlock. When Priest was re-signed he was a key component of the best offense of the NFL We all thought the Chiefs were a legitimate SB contender. Priest was still among the elite backs in the NFL when he got hurt. Just because he got hurt does not mean Peterson screwed it up. I dislike Peterson, but I gotta side with him on this. I mean, lets say Peterson signs JA to a huge contract his year, then he suffers a career ending injury the following season. Would carl be to blame then? Whitlock really shows his ignorance here. He has absolutely no talent as a writer. He has to write this controversial bullsh*t to stay employed. This is for you Fatlock. nlm nlm F off and die f***head.

jjchieffan
11-22-2007, 09:14 AM
And you agree with him Goatsex? Time for CPIggy. Good riddance dumbsh*t.

dj56dt58
11-22-2007, 09:17 AM
had he not given Priest the extension..or LJ for that matter, everybody would be bitching about that. He made the right decision on both. It would have been stupid not to give him the extension

Adept Havelock
11-22-2007, 09:20 AM

Very true. Sadly, our resident clown (Goatse) was distracted by the shiny object dangled by JW. Just proves he's far more concerned with sports/press celebrity circus antics than actual Football, IMO. Just pathetic.

jettio
11-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Whitlock picked Thanksgiving Day to show a lack of dignity and class.

He needs to quit puttin' down other black folks for "bojangling" as he likes to put it.

Undignified behavior is undignified behavior and what the hell possessed him to write such a stupid and untimely article.

milkman
11-22-2007, 09:30 AM
had he not given Priest the extension..or LJ for that matter, everybody would be bitching about that. He made the right decision on both. It would have been stupid not to give him the extension

Everyone in Indy was upset when the Colts didn't re-sign Edge.

The GM has to make some unpopular decisions at times, and not re-signing Priest (and LJ) might have been unpopular in KC, but they would have been the right decision.

Priest was aging.
LJ was overused.

Signing them to long term, big money contracts was not in the best interest of this team.

To give perspective, I also think that signing TG to a big money contract this last offseason was a long term mistake.

Douche Baggins
11-22-2007, 09:32 AM
And you agree with him Goatsex? Time for CPIggy. Good riddance dumbsh*t.

What a puss you are.

Bugeater
11-22-2007, 09:36 AM

The GM has to make some unpopular decisions at times, and not re-signing Priest (and LJ) might have been unpopular in KC, but they would have been the right decision.

Priest was aging.
LJ was overused.

Signing them to long term, big money contracts was not in the best interest of this team.

To give perspective, I also think that signing TG to a big money contract this last offseason was a long term mistake.
And you can blame the casual fan for that. I would guess that at least 90% of the fan base is uninformed, and they are the ones that keep Carl employed. What can you do?

stumppy
11-22-2007, 09:37 AM
What a puss I am.

FYP

milkman
11-22-2007, 09:41 AM
And you can blame the casual fan for that. I would guess that at least 90% of the fan base is uninformed, and they are the ones that keep Carl employed. What can you do?

Pound away at the computer keyboard.

It's really effective you know.

Carl is retiring in a couple of years, and I know that my keyboard pounding for 10 years is responsible.

Messier
11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not upset we signed Gonzo to a long term contract, I guess partly for selfish reasons, in that I really wouldn't like seeing him go to another team. At the same time I think Tony can play for a good part of that contract, I think four more years.

mdstu
11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Blame the defense not the offense. Same can be said now...its not the defenses fault we are losing. Replace the word "priest" in your statement and you could say the same thing about "jared",and "Donnie." that wouldnt make it anymore valid.

You are talking to yourself. Don't you notice how all of his thoughts and arguments come full circle. It's not because he changes his mind or finds error in his ways. It's because he is going to say what ever is going get the biggest reaction at the moment. You would be just as well off arguing with a magic 8-ball.

kcfanXIII
11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
if we don't give our stars money, the chiefs will be like the royals. we'd all be bitching that our big name players go else where.

milkman
11-22-2007, 10:00 AM
if we don't give our stars money, the chiefs will be like the royals. we'd all be bitching that our big name players go else where.

Bad analogy.

Two entirely different sports.

Baseball players are in their prime years in the 27-34 year old range.

Football players, especially RBs, are starting their decline at 27-28.

MahiMike
11-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing for the Chiefs. On one hand, Carl and Herm can blame the season on injuries. On the other hand, they sure as hell mismanaged it.

I never believed they'd even win 4 games this year.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Priest was aging.
LJ was overused.

You and I, we are in 100% agreement.

Just like you said it probably wasn't popular in indy to shelve James for Addai but they did it and it was the right move. Indy shelved Lawyer Milloy and numerous other guys. You can't sign old or heavy worked players to big contracts because they are popular, it isn't how you win.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Didn't read the piece, have no interest in doing so, won't read it. Fatlock writes nothing but crap and I have better things to do with my valuable time than reading his drivel.

Like taking a dump for example.

Stinger
11-22-2007, 10:26 AM
entertaining and a great player. Did he fumble sure, but i think he had fumbled once or twice that entire year, Thats pretty damn good.

Yes but one of those was against the Colts in the playoff game. :banghead:

Priest was great on the field and his off the field persona was good as well. I believe the big difference here is that Priest was deemed a team player and LJ was always deemed in it for himself. I guess the question on long term contracts is what you want out of them your goal is to get a productive team player. We got that for 3 1/2 years with priest with LJ we shall see. It all goes back to the offensive line I guess. You put the line Holmes ran behind with LJ and we are not having this conversation about long term contracts IMO.

StcChief
11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
ROFL

hopefully enough to fire him this off season.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 11:28 AM
GoChiefs, you really need to pop in a tape of the Chiefs-Seattle game from 2002 when Priest had 190 on the ground and over 100 yards receiving. That was the most dominant performance I've ever seen by any Chiefs back, ever.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Priest was aging.
LJ was overused.

I don't think they should have resigned LJ, but I do think they should have resigned Priest. Some of it was due to workload, but a lot of it had to do with character. They shouldn't have signed Priest just because he was more of a team guy, but LJ has always seemed to be a me-first guy, and once he's satisfied, who's to say he'd ever have that fire.

Priest Holmes is a really different person, but no one could ever question his heart on the football field. There have been several times when I've questioned LJ's heart.

Fruit Ninja
11-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Priest was aging.
LJ was overused.

Its only a mistake when you are hurting in the cap area. All reports are they were are still 10 million under. Again, its only a mistake when your hurtign in the cap. We are not

milkman
11-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Its only a mistake when you are hurting in the cap area. All reports are they were are still 10 million under. Again, its only a mistake when your hurtign in the cap. We are not

I disagree.

Cap notwithstanding, Priest was 31?

You don't re-sign aging RBs to long term deals.

You don't re-sign guys that run the ball 416 times in a season to long term deals.

History tells us these are the guys who's bodies begin to break down, who's productivity will never match their contracts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I disagree.

Cap notwithstanding, Priest was 31?

You don't re-sign aging RBs to long term deals.

You don't re-sign guys that run the ball 416 times in a season to long term deals.

History tells us these are the guys who's bodies begin to break down, who's productivity will never match their contracts.

In all fairness, Priest was 29, had very few miles on him, and was the best back in the league. The hip was the biggest question.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
You can't sign old or heavy worked players to big contracts because they are popular, it isn't how you win.

Yes, but it is how u keep butts in the seats, maintains a core group of veterans and helps to win 8-10 games every year.

Love Carl.

jjchieffan
11-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Didn't read the piece, have no interest in doing so, won't read it. Fatlock writes nothing but crap and I have better things to do with my valuable time than reading his drivel.

Like taking a dump for example.

I agree. I havent read one of his articles in the star in ages. His garbage is good for wiping your *ss with. Thats about it. I only read it today because Goatsex posted it here. Now I wont have to see it here either. Thanks Simplex.

milkman
11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
In all fairness, Priest was 29, had very few miles on him, and was the best back in the league. The hip was the biggest question.

Point remains the same.

You don't sign aging stars, especially ones coming off a bad injury.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Question: Do Chiefs fans demand a competitive team every year forcing Carls hand?

In in way, Chiefs fans are enablers. They dont have the stomach to deal with a full rebuild mode.

Just my opinion...Flame away if you wish....

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:09 PM

It'll still bite you.....why do you think the Pats are going to have a bunch of cap room after this year if they want to keep that team together......oh yea because they know when to dump guys.

headsnap
11-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Question: Do Chiefs fans demand a competitive team every year forcing Carls hand?

In in way, Chiefs fans are enablers. They dont have the stomach to deal with a full rebuild mode.

are you saying that Herm lost that game on purpose... for draft position?

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:12 PM

We talked about it before, there are numerous people that post here that don't want to rebuild because they are so afraid of what the 80's were.

People that would rather be 7-9 than try something different and possibly have a 4-12 year.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:13 PM
are you saying that Herm lost that game on purpose... for draft position?

He's saying that Carl doesn't have the nads to make tough decisions that fans might not like.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
He's saying that Carl doesn't have the nads to make tough decisions that fans might not like.

Well it's true......if Carl had done what I wanted about 90% of this board would have exploded let alone the casual fan.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Or Vice Versa. Chiefs fans dont have the nads to deal with a couple of crap seasons.

Which hand feeds which??

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Well it's true......if Carl had done what I wanted about 90% of this board would have exploded let alone the casual fan.

Yep.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Or Vice Versa. Chiefs fans dont have the nads to deal with a couple of crap seasons.

Which hand feeds which??

Doesn't matter.

The fact remains, regardless, that Carl is unwilling to make the tough decisions, take the risks, to field a championship caliber team.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Yep.

When a few of us talked about not bringing LJ back, possibly trading him. It wasn't even met well here by people who generally know what they are talking about...

People thinking he was worth 2 first rounders..sometimes I think even smarter fans get to caught up in what the values of players really are and when to cut bait and know what a fair deal is.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Doesn't matter.

The fact remains, regardless, that Carl is unwilling to make the tough decisions, take the risks, to field a championship caliber team.

Well I know this.....if it was me and you...LJ wouldn't be here..Priest wouldn't have been here 4 years ago...and Tony wouldn't be here either...

And this board would be talking about what morons we are.

headsnap
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Bullshit!!! He hired Herm... :)

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 12:24 PM
When a few of us talked about not bringing LJ back, possibly trading him. It wasn't even met well here by people who generally know what they are talking about...

People thinking he was worth 2 first rounders..sometimes I think even smarter fans get to caught up in what the values of players really are and when to cut bait and know what a fair deal is.

Just for the record, i wanted LJ resigned.

But in the overall big picture, its probably wasnt a wise decision at the expense of other parts of the team.

Carl is really great at creating the perception that the team is only a "player or two away" every year.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:25 PM
And this board would be talking about what morons we are.

Yeah, like that ain't happening already.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Even if they were 1 player away I'd have seen if he had trade value.....if they could have gotten a 1st rounder or really a first day pick plus maybe something else I'd have pulled it.

It's just far to risky to tie up money in a back with that number of carries that runs at that style, history is totally against you.

headsnap
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Which hand feeds which??
in the above post, the term 'Chiefs Fans' refers to the corporate box owners and their guests... ;)

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, like that ain't happening already.

People just see the here in now, like we when talk about how we wouldn't have brought Gonzalez back, they see what he is today. They don't realize what is going to happen in 3 years....Which is the time the Chiefs should really be playing for.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Even if they were 1 player away I'd have seen if he had trade value.....if they could have gotten a 1st rounder or really a first day pick plus maybe something else I'd have pulled it.

It's just far to risky to tie up money in a back with that number of carries that runs at that style, history is totally against you.

To be fair, I believe that Carl did try and trade LJ. I believe there were some reports out there. At least he put out the feelers to see if anyone would bite.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Point remains the same.

You don't sign aging stars, especially ones coming off a bad injury.

No, it doesn't. 29 is not 31 in football. There is a huge difference. Moreover, he had very, very few miles on him.

And I think that a lot of people overrated his injury history because of the type of tackle and the Kansas City-Bo Jackson connection.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Hell I'd have traded him for a 2nd rounder...then people would have gone apeshit but I'd have used my 16 million dollar bonus on a more valuable position...

SBK
11-22-2007, 12:36 PM
On the bright side when King Carl is finally gone he's gonna take Whitlock with him. The douche will have nothing else to write about.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2007, 12:40 PM
On the bright side when King Carl is finally gone he's gonna take Whitlock with him. The douche will have nothing else to write about.

I actually, like JW alot. Sure, he writes some boneheaded stuff from time to time, but its his job to be a muckraker.

What do you want? Two boring JoPo's in the same newspaper?

Douche Baggins
11-22-2007, 01:32 PM
On the bright side when King Carl is finally gone he's gonna take Whitlock with him.

Not a chance.

BigRock
11-22-2007, 02:22 PM
A lot of these analogies that keep getting tossed around don't apply to our situation. The Colts, for example, could let Edge walk because they had a solid enough team that they could immediately use their 1st round pick on an RB to replace him. They didn't have numerous other holes that needed filling.

Can we say anything close to that? With the holes we have, would anyone here want to use our 1st rounder this next draft on a running back? The only way RB would be an area of need would be if we made it one by not keeping LJ.

That's just creating more problems for yourself. It's running in circles. You get your ducks in a row before purposely creating needs for the team, and after years of crappy drafts it'll be quite a while before our ducks are lined up.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 02:54 PM
If they could have moved LJ for a 1st or 2nd round pick...

You can draft a starting RB in the 3rd round these days...you don't have to use a 1st rounder on one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 03:17 PM
If they could have moved LJ for a 1st or 2nd round pick...

You can draft a starting RB in the 3rd round these days...you don't have to use a 1st rounder on one.

Are you really saying that LJ, even coming off a huge workload, is as valuable as Javon Walker?

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Are you really saying that LJ, even coming off a huge workload, is as valuable as Javon Walker?

In the league as it stands now it's pretty close....most teams have RB's. Several have the let them go thought toward it now, especially big workload backs.

You have to consider the value of his position, right away most teams in the league already have a good RB.

The best possible deal before the draft, could have possibly been something like Brandon Jacobs and a 1 or a 2 with him....right now that would have looked really smart.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-22-2007, 03:24 PM
In the league as it stands now it's pretty close....most teams have RB's. Several have the let them go thought toward it now, especially big workload backs.

You have to consider the value of his position, right away most teams in the league already have a good RB.

The best possible deal before the draft, could have possibly been something like Brandon Jacobs and a 1 or a 2 with him....right now that would have looked really smart.

Which is far more than just a second rounder.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I was just saying I would have considered moving him for a 2nd rounder, not that it was all we could get..

I'd have released him for nothing before I gave him that contract to show where I'm coming from.

Short Leash Hootie
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I was just saying I would have considered moving him for a 2nd rounder, not that it was all we could get..

I'd have released him for nothing before I gave him that contract to show where I'm coming from.
Clark Hunt is taking applications...

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 03:33 PM

And you would have kept your job for all of 30 seconds after that.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
You are exactly one of the fans I was talking about earlier when I said this is why the Chiefs don't take any risks.....

You'd be going ballistic about getting rid of LJ despite history saying it's a good idea.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 03:44 PM

I agree. It's not so much that I thought LJ was done so much as winning is all about having an elite QB. Paying for an elite RB is not the smart way to allocate your resources. It's even more stupid when the supposed elite RB can't pass-block his way out of a paper bag.

Scoring points in this league requires having an effective downfield passing attack. It's hard to do that with LJ in there, especially given the state of the Oline.

Peterson is a not-to-lose dinosaur in this league.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree. It's not so much that I thought LJ was done so much as winning is all about having an elite QB. Paying for an elite RB is not the smart way to allocate your resources. It's even more stupid when the supposed elite RB can't pass-block his way out of a paper bag.

Scoring points in this league requires having an effective downfield passing attack. It's hard to do that with LJ in there, especially given the state of the Oline.

Peterson is a not-to-lose dinosaur in this league.

Pretty much, I believe there are certain positions you pay or even overpay for, RB isn't one of them.

Skip Towne
11-22-2007, 03:46 PM
How is Denver able to keep a running game with just any old running back? If it is just by cheating then let's start cheating.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 03:47 PM
You are exactly one of the fans I was talking about earlier when I said this is why the Chiefs don't take any risks.....

You'd be going ballistic about getting rid of LJ despite history saying it's a good idea.

Getting LJ to begin with was a risk. Much of this board went friggin BALLISTIC when he got drafted and he turned out to be a steal at the position we drafted him at. I was one of the few who liked the move because we got the best available player rather than drafting for need whether the player was worth it or not. Playing as many rookies as we are now is a risk and it is beginning to pay off. A breath of fresh air after DV.

Oh, and f**k your so called history. Each player is different and responds differently to heavy workloads. Neither you nor I know what LJ will do until he does it. I certainly wouldn't trade a young franchise RB for a couple of crap shoot draft picks based on assumption.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Other teams do it too....Joe Addai missed a game and no namer Kenton Keith put up 100 yards...

It's proven time and time again you do no need to pay a RB 50 million dollars or even need an elite back to move the ball on the ground.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Getting LJ to begin with was a risk. Much of this board went friggin BALLISTIC when he got drafted and he turned out to be a steal at the position we drafted him at. I was one of the few who liked the move because we got the best available player rather than drafting for need whether the player was worth it or not. Playing as many rookies as we are now is a risk and it is beginning to pay off. A breath of fresh air after DV.

Oh, and f**k your so called history. Each player is different and responds differently to heavy workloads. Neither you nor I know what LJ will do until he does it. I certainly wouldn't trade a young franchise RB for a couple of crap shoot draft picks based on assumption.

I just explained it has nothing to do with LJ the person as his position and the history of it....you either learn from it or you repeat it. We've now given stupid contracts to RB's back to back.

This is a brilliant franchise.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 03:49 PM
especially given the state of the Oline.

And THAT is the real problem. Behind something other than a joke of an o line LJ is worth every penny we payed for him.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I can't wait till a few years when everyone is bitching that when the Chiefs have a chance to do something they can't sign anyone because LJ is making 10 million dollars and looks like Eddie George back there....We'll see if you still think it was a good idea to sign him then and if he was worth it.

If you still think LJ will be even remotely productive in 09 I feel for you.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 03:53 PM

There is no such thing as a franchise RB. The are franchise QBs, franchise LTs, perhaps Moss is even a franchise WR ...but RB? Nope. The most overrated position on the field.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 03:55 PM
There is no such thing as a franchise RB. The are franchise QBs, franchise LTs, perhaps Moss is even a franchise WR ...but RB? Nope. The most overrated position on the field.

Positions you pay generally.....QB, LT, DE, DT, CB depending on the scheme....WR sometimes, safety if you have a rare player..

RB is the last position to pay, it is by far the easiest one to replace.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Ummmm..yea. :rolleyes:

I'll be sure and pass that along to Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, etc..... LMAO

You know, the guys who their teams leaned on to win the Super Bowl.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Ummmm..yea. :rolleyes:

I'll be sure and pass that along to Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, etc..... LMAO

You know, the guys who their teams leaned on to win the Super Bowl.

List is pretty small, isn't it? Now go to the QB position.

KC Tattoo
11-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I remember a little bit of the Hershal Walker trade from the Cowboys to the Vikings. I don't think it was at the time popular to the fans. But it reaped 3 Super Bowls after a 1-15 season.

Running backs are replaceable. QBs are more valuable and you have to have a O line to protect the QB and for the runningbacks to run.

I was glad that we resigned LJ. I would have been just as happy if we traded him during the 07 draft and get some top notch lineman for the better of the team and future.

I was ready to start this season with Brodie Croyle and call it a rebuilding season and it didn't matter to me what the W/L record was. Just as long as the team was improveing for the year. They started Huard and it was an ugly first half of the season with no signs of the team getting better. Now we are behind the 8 ball trying to play catch up in our devision and "rebuilding" at the same time.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:04 PM
And after that bowl Faulk became an injury prone player that never played 16 games.....and he never had huge workloads.

The NFL is different now, the dominant teams in this league are based around QB's. Do you think Laurence Maroney is some dominant franchise back?

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 04:07 PM
List is pretty small, isn't it? Now go to the QB position.

We aren't talking about QB's. We are talking about franchise RB's which you said didn't exist and which I just proved DO.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Also if you wanna run the ball in today's league, you don't do it with 1 franchise back anymore....

You do it like Dallas does with 2 good backs, I think Barber has the skills to be a top notch back but they run with both of them, that's how it's done now.

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Positions you pay generally.....QB, LT, DE, DT, CB depending on the scheme....WR sometimes, safety if you have a rare player..

RB is the last position to pay, it is by far the easiest one to replace.

Look at the long list of no-names who became household names running behind the Donkey cheatin' OL. They could put one of us back there and get 4 yards a carry.

Let's remember the psychology here. Many Planeteers suffered unspeakable emotional trauma screaming for a "feature back" during the Marty/Gun years. Priest Holmes obliterated all the painful memories of watching RBbC (Shehee, Cloud, Bam, Donnell Bennett, Anders, Richardson, et al). Therefore, emotionally, these traumatized Planeteers need the virtual garauntee of a featured RB. They will pay any amount of $ to feel "safe".

We have to deal very tenderly with these people. They are victims. Please, be gentle and consider their plight.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
And after that bowl Faulk became an injury prone player that never played 16 games.....and he never had huge workloads.

The NFL is different now, the dominant teams in this league are based around QB's. Do you think Laurence Maroney is some dominant franchise back?

It's always been about the QB. Who cares if you have a Pro Bowl RB? It's all about having a Pro Bowl QB. And regarding Faulk, Faulk was more than a RB. He was a good pass-blocker, and an extra WR. If you were going to pay big bucks for a back at all, you'd go for the all-around guy like Faulk, not the one-dimensional player like LJ. LJ is a pure runner -- nothing more -- he adds nothing to a passing attack, and actually is a liability.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:11 PM
It's always been about the QB. Who cares if you have a Pro Bowl RB? It's all about having a Pro Bowl QB. And regarding Faulk, Faulk was more than a RB. He was a good pass-blocker, and an extra WR. If you were going to pay big bucks for a back at all, you'd go for the all-around guy like Faulk, not the one-dimensional player like LJ. LJ is a pure runner -- nothing more -- he adds nothing to a passing attack, and actually is a liability.

That's another point too, it's one thing to pay a versatile guy like Faulk or LT who does everything, and is also elusive and avoids contact..

We paid a big back that gets blasted all the time and doesn't avoid contact.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 04:12 PM
We aren't talking about QB's. We are talking about franchise RB's which you said didn't exist and which I just proved DO.

Three sample points don't constitute proof. Sorry.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Look at the long list of no-names who became household names running behind the Donkey cheatin' OL. They could put one of us back there and get 4 yards a carry.

Let's remember the psychology here. Many Planeteers suffered unspeakable emotional trauma screaming for a "feature back" during the Marty/Gun years. Priest Holmes obliterated all the painful memories of watching RBbC (Shehee, Cloud, Bam, Donnell Bennett, Anders, Richardson, et al). Therefore, emotionally, these traumatized Planeteers need the virtual garauntee of a featured RB. They will pay any amount of $ to feel "safe".

We have to deal very tenderly with these people. They are victims. Please, be gentle and consider their plight.

There are so many more good backs in the league now than there were in the Marty days, even if you just have an "average" back that's pretty good.

All but 4-5 teams have good RB's.

KC Tattoo
11-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Also if you wanna run the ball in today's league, you don't do it with 1 franchise back anymore....

You do it like Dallas does with 2 good backs, I think Barber has the skills to be a top notch back but they run with both of them, that's how it's done now.

And you save the longevity of the players career. I think you get more out of the players too. If you have that left jab and then strike with a hard right KO. Two backs are better than one and Herm is killing our running backs.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:16 PM
And guess what, neither of the Dallas backs were 1st rounders.

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 04:16 PM
There are so many more good backs in the league now than there were in the Marty days, even if you just have an "average" back that's pretty good.

All but 4-5 teams have good RB's.

We started the year with 3 PB RBs.
Injury, trade and retirement claimed them.

I maintain that it really didn't matter. Something is clearly wrong with a team that has LJ in the backfield and gains a total of 10 rushing yards in a game.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 04:19 PM
We started the year with 3 PB RBs.
Injury, trade and retirement claimed them.

I maintain that it really didn't matter. Something is clearly wrong with a team that has LJ in the backfield and gains a total of 10 rushing yards in a game.

It's called an offensive line comprised mostly of muppets.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Even Derrick Blaylock was a stud in the Vermeil offense. When he filled in for Priest, he put up BIG numbers. Much bigger numbers than LJ did this season, and probably last season as well (YPC).

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 04:21 PM
It's called an offensive line comprised mostly of muppets.

ROFL

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:22 PM
That line was shitty as hell last year too...LJ still ran behind it, notice after his big carry year he couldn't do it again.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2007, 04:23 PM
That line was shitty as hell last year too...LJ still ran behind it, notice after his big carry year he couldn't do it again.

Ummm, no it wasn't. It wasn't the line of 2 years ago but not even close to being shitty.

scott free
11-22-2007, 04:25 PM
That line was shitty as hell last year too.

On the contrary, it wasnt NEARLY as bad in the run game as this crew. Black was a cut above McIntosh in the run game & we still had Shields.

KCJohnny

Some of it appeared to be the tentative way he shuffled to the LOS and went down on first contact.

Some has to do with the declining vertical threat.

Some has to do with Sesame Street-level play selection.

Some has to do with going almost completely to dives and plunges between the tackles and forsaking the perimeter game.

But most has to do with NO HOLES.

Mecca
It's basically the same line....Everyone was convinced that McIntosh was better than Black....and Shields while being better than Welbourne was pretty average...

The line isn't that much worse.....it's not good but it wasn't good before.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:26 PM
On the contrary, it wasnt NEARLY as bad in the run game as this crew. Black was a cut above McIntosh in the run game & we still had Shields.

People want Jordan Black back now........I thought he was the worst player EVAR!

That was what I read here anyway.

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 04:27 PM
It's basically the same line....Everyone was convinced that McIntosh was better than Black....and Shields while being better than Welbourne was pretty average...

The line isn't that much worse.....it's not good but it wasn't good before.

Shields average?

:hmmm:

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Shields average?

:hmmm:

Last year yea.....you could tell he was getting old.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 04:28 PM

Herm has attempted to convert us to a smash-mouth run team from a much more finesse/speed run team, and the results have been disastrous.

scott free
11-22-2007, 04:29 PM
People want Jordan Black back now........I thought he was the worst player EVAR!

That was what I read here anyway.

McIntosh is a MUCH better pass blocker, but Black had the edge in running.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 04:30 PM
No one ever brings it up they talk about the other 4, but Brian Waters has sucked balls this year too, no one has been good.

KC Tattoo
11-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Herm thinks he can win games with defense. He could care less about the offense. He just wants the offense not to screw up. He wants a "game manager QB" he wants to run the ball and punt. Herm wants to prove that his way works, we are wrong and he is right. Herm says that players don't know as much as the coach for game planning. Tony G. is smarter than Herm Edwards and knows what it takes that sometimes you have to take chances to be successfull (against the world champs even).

dj56dt58
11-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Priest was aging.
LJ was overused.

too bad we don't have the Colts offensive line, or for that matter the front office to be able to replace an LJ or Priest. And I'm sure that if Edge had just rushed for 27 tds he would have been re-signed

milkman
11-22-2007, 07:33 PM
too bad we don't have the Colts offensive line, or for that matter the front office to be able to replace an LJ or Priest. And I'm sure that if Edge had just rushed for 27 tds he would have been re-signed

The Colts O-Line isn't all that special.

They are made to look better than they are by scheme and a future HoF QB.

Edge was considered a "franchise" RB, and before that they had Marshall Faulk.

Bill Polian isn't afraid to make the tough decision to let RBs go in order to build his team.

And he has built a SB team.

With a second round RB.

scott free
11-22-2007, 07:57 PM
No one ever brings it up they talk about the other 4, but Brian Waters has sucked balls this year too, no one has been good.

Its hard to soar like an Eagle when your surrounded by turkeys.

ClevelandBronco
11-22-2007, 09:06 PM
That article is in really poor taste, IMO...

Tap dancing monkey Christ

Hamas doesn't like it when people write something that shows poor taste.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175137

KcMizzou
11-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Its hard to soar like an Eagle when your surrounded by turkeys.Words of wisdom.