PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Chiefs Offensive Coordinator next season...

runnercyclist
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
no poll to follow.

Who will be: _________
Who would you like it to be: __________

Ari Chi3fs
11-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Bob Dole. He can do anything.

Jilly
11-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure what an Offensice Cooordinator is?

runnercyclist
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM

Really? Or are you just making fun of me because I am mentally challenged?

Mecca
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Some schmoe that does exactly what Herm tells him to do.

Jilly
11-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Really? Or are you just making fun of me because I am mentally challenged?

:sulk: I'm making fun of you because you are mentally challenged.

milkman
11-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Herman ****ing Edwards doesn't know what an offensive coordinator is.

Spicy McHaggis
11-22-2007, 11:37 AM
In an effort to shake the conservative label Solari will run 27 straight flea-flickers against the Raiders.

RedThat
11-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Who should the Chiefs next head coach be?

Better yet, who should the Chiefs next GM be?

Bowser
11-22-2007, 11:41 AM
It won't matter who we have next year if we don't fix that piss poor offensive line.

RedThat
11-22-2007, 11:43 AM
It won't matter who we have next year if we don't fix that piss poor offensive line.

It doesn't matter who we have on offense as long as we have Herm Edwards.

HypnotizedMonkey
11-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Does this coaching staff call for an OC? I was beginning to question whether or not we had one.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 11:45 AM
i expect solari to be unless the public freaks out and pressures a change. I don't think Herm is all that disappointed with the offense.

if not solari then it will be Dick Curl

cam cameron would be my initial choice .... without doing any research.

RedThat
11-22-2007, 11:47 AM
i expect solari to be unless the public freaks out and pressures a change. I don't think Herm is all that disappointed with the offense.

Laz do you really think Cam Cameron would make a difference?

Even with Herm here?

Mecca
Who should the Chiefs next head coach be?

Better yet, who should the Chiefs next GM be?

You and me could probably do a better job...

Bowser

Herm knows this isn't on Solari.

And if Dick Curl gets promoted to ANYTHING, I will stop rooting for this team.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
We'll have the same offensive coordinator as this year: Dick Curl

OnTheWarpath58
11-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Who will be: Solari

Who I'd like to be: Not sure without doing some research, and knowing who might be available.

RedThat
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
When Chris Berman and Shannon Sharpe are cracking jokes about the offense....lol..."Hey look at this? It's 3-3 top of the 2nd inning?" Well what do you know?"

Yeah I think we could do a better job.

Jilly
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
fire herm; hire Bob Stoops; I realize that doesn't answer the offensive coordinator stuff, but.... as long as Herm is coach, there won't be any changes to anything else

Lonewolf Ed
11-22-2007, 11:53 AM
In an effort to shake the conservative label Solari will run 27 straight flea-flickers against the Raiders.

Every fifth or sixth flea-flicker ought to fool them! I say, go for it.

milkman
11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
This question is worthless.

The question should be "With Herman ****ing Edwards as the HC, does it it matter one little iota who the OC is?".

chiefforlife
Watching the Lions/Packers game and they said Marinelli hired Martz because he wanted someone completely opposite of himself. He would call QB sneaks all day. lol.
Herm are you watching?? Great idea. Hire someone completely opposite of yourself, someone who understands offense.

Mr. Laz
Laz do you really think Cam Cameron would make a difference?

Even with Herm here?
i absolutely think that cam cameron could make a difference IF herman edwards let him do his thing.

our offense isn't nearly as talent deprived as some people insist.

1. attitude
2. coaching the system
3. predictability

improve these 3 things and this offense instantly goes from 30th to 20th in the league without any personnel changes.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Watching the Lions/Packers game and they said Marinelli hired Martz because he wanted someone completely opposite of himself. He would call QB sneaks all day. lol.
Herm are you watching?? Great idea. Hire someone completely opposite of yourself, someone who understands offense.
you are correct, sir.

OnTheWarpath58
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Cam Cameron would be great provided:

a) He was available.

b) He was told to take a vacation during draft weekend.

I'm with Laz.....I think the O could be 10 spots better with better coaching schemes alone.

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
i absolutely think that cam cameron could make a difference IF herman edwards let him do his thing.

1. attitude
2. coaching the system
3. predictability

improve these 3 things and this offense instantly goes from 30th to 20th in the league without any personnel changes.

Yep. Guys like you and me aren't saying the Chiefs could have the #1 offense in the league with these guys at O-line, but the reason we are putrid instead of mediocre to bad is Herm Edwards. You could give Herm the best o-line in the NFL, and he'd still only have a mediocre offense.

Psyko Tek
11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I want Gun
Gun would have an attacking offense

Hokay i just want a batshit crazy guy who will try anything to win

RedThat
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM

1. attitude
2. coaching the system
3. predictability

Oh you're right, I think we do have talent on offense. Aside from OT, maybe either a G or C. We're pretty talented overall as a unit.

But that's the problem, I don't think Herm lets his coaches coach...I just don't see any improvement whoever the OC is?

Herm changed OC I think 2 or 3 times in NY. He threw them under the bus, yet the offense stayed the same.

He's not intellegent enough to know that what he's doing is wrong. Nor do I think he can place trust in his coaches? He'll blame other people for his problems but fail to step up and take responsibility himself, or hold himself accountable.

That how you lose credibility with your coaches, players. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he loses his team soon. We should fire Herm, hire Marty back, and then hire Cameron. Then I think Cameron would improve the offense.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh you're right, I think we do have talent on offense. Aside from OT, maybe either a G or C. We're pretty talented overall as a unit.

But that's the problem, I don't think Herm lets his coaches coach...I just don't see any improvement whoever the OC is?

Herm changed OC I think 2 or 3 times in NY. He threw them under the bus, yet the offense stayed the same.

He's not intellegent enough to know that what he's doing is wrong. Nor do I think he can place trust in his coaches? He'll blame other people for his problems but fail to step up and take responsibility himself, or hold himself accountable.

That how you lose credibility with your coaches, players. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he loses his team soon. We should fire Herm, hire Marty back, and then hire Cameron. Then I think Cameron would improve the offense.
sadly i can't really disagree with anything you posted :sulk:

Herm seems like a young marty right now ..... shottenheimer played the same blame game with his offensive coordinators back in the day.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:19 PM

Just say "No" to Marty.

I don't think the Dolphins will give up Cameron after only one season.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Just say "No" to Marty.

man, i don't know if the Dolphins can go 0-16 and not fire the head coach. :shrug:

and Marty might be ok since Cam Cameron has already proven himself to marty in san diego.

marty always coached scared ... Cameron broke him of that a little bit.

i'm no fan of "going back" but we could do worse than a shottenhiemer/Cameron combo.

but only if Cameron comes with him

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:24 PM
man, i don't know if the Dolphins can go 0-16 and not fire the head coach. :shrug:

Given the fact that their O-Line is about equal to the Chiefs, they don't have a WR that fits the system, no QB, and an aging defense, I think the Dolphins give him a chance build a team.

RedThat
11-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Just say "No" to Marty.

Why? He's 20x better then Herm.

The difference between Marty and Herm is, Marty lets his coaches coach.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM

and Marty might be ok since Cam Cameron has already proven himself to marty in san diego.

marty always coached scared ... Cameron broke him of that a little bit.

i'm no fan of "going back" but we could do worse than a shottenhiemer/Cameron combo.

but only if Cameron comes with him

I want no part of Marty.

I'm tired of always bringing in retreads.

I want to move forward.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Yeah, let's see.

Joe Pendry.
Paul Hackett.
Jimmy Raye.

I'm betting the only reason he had Cameron on his staff is because he was given no choice.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Marty didn't USED TO .....

he handcuffed the offense all the time when he was in KC

then he went to san diego who already had a QB and RB established ... that saved Marty, all he had to do was 'stay out'

KCChiefsFan88
11-22-2007, 12:30 PM
My dream choice was and still is Mike Martz

But since that isn't happening my more realistic choice would be Scott Linehan after the Lambs fire him.

Of course Curled Dick Face will most likely end up replacing Slowlari

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I want no part of Marty.

I'm tired of always bringing in retreads.

I want to move forward.
understand completely, it wouldn't be my first choice too.

i just don't know that herm will ever let a new coordinator come in and do his thing ..... marty didn't.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
My dream choice was and still is Mike Martz

But since that isn't happening my more realistic choice would be Scott Linehan after the Lambs fire him.

Of course Curled Dick Face will most likely end up replacing Slowlari
Martz is bizarro Herm

the same thing only from the offensive side

if you get Martz you MUST get a dominate defensive coordinator would would command the respect of Martz and gets autonomy.

milkman
11-22-2007, 12:34 PM
understand completely, it would be my first choice too.

i just don't know that herm will ever let a new coordinator come in and do his thing ..... marty didn't.

At the end of the day, let's not get this thing twisted.

This team won't move forward anyway until the Cheifs clean house in the FO and on the sidelines.

Herman ****ing Edwards will bring in some young talent while he's here, but until we make major changes, we'll continue to be mediocre.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 12:36 PM
At the end of the day, let's not get this thing twisted.

This team won't move forward anyway until the Chiefs clean house in the FO and on the sidelines.

Herman ****ing Edwards will bring in some young talent while he's here, but until we make major changes, we'll continue to be mediocre.
best thing going right now is that Herm is going young

at least defensively we should be young and hungry when he leaves.

our salary cap should be clean too

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 12:49 PM
It will probably be Solari.
I want Norv Turner after AJ Smith fires him.

KC Jones
11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I would have no problem with Herm as head coach IF:

1) He had a good offensive coordinator to whom he gave complete control over play calling and game planning.

2) He had a game day assistant that could keep him from making those 'risk aversion' decisions.

Seeing as these two things are highly unlikely to ever happen, I'm content to let Herm have another year or even two to get us the players we need for a real coach to take this team to the next level.

Easy 6
11-22-2007, 01:14 PM
IMO, Carl & Herms stubborness will result in Solari coming back.

Personally, i'd like to see someone familiar with Coryell style brought in...theres nothing wrong with our playbook, we just need it to be used correctly.

I'd hate to see a new system implemented & have to endure the long learning curve it would bring, ESPECIALLY for Brodie.

Continuity is the keyword for 08.

jjchieffan
11-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I would be happy with Cameron, Turner, or Saunders again. I doubt seriously that Solari will be fired, and if he does, I doubt even more that any of those candidates would be brought in. Number one reason? They have head coaching experience and would want too much control over the offense. Despite the fact that is exactly what we need.

bowener
11-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I dont want marty as a head coach but I like to dream he becomes our GM after CP is embarassingly fired in front of a televised audience, then out of spite for A.J Smith, Marty hires the soon to be fired Cam Cameron as the Chiefs OC... and continues to stick it to Smith twice a year every year... oh yeah and Herm wouldnt really matter at that point I dont think.

Chocolate Hog
11-22-2007, 03:17 PM
It'll be Mike Shula

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I dont want marty as a head coach but I like to dream he becomes our GM after CP is embarassingly fired in front of a televised audience, then out of spite for A.J Smith, Marty hires the soon to be fired Cam Cameron as the Chiefs OC... and continues to stick it to Smith twice a year every year... oh yeah and Herm wouldnt really matter at that point I dont think.
i like how you think, n00b.

POND_OF_RED
11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Mike Leach

Bob Dole
11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Tony Romo!

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I would be happy with Cameron, Turner, or Saunders again. I doubt seriously that Solari will be fired, and if he does, I doubt even more that any of those candidates would be brought in. Number one reason? They have head coaching experience and would want too much control over the offense. Despite the fact that is exactly what we need.

:toast:

:bravo:

Sure-Oz
11-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I think solari is on those diet pepsi max commercials as the former dallas OC

Mr. Laz
11-22-2007, 04:04 PM
:toast:

:bravo:
you keep this up and we're gonna take away your homer card

Skip Towne
11-22-2007, 04:29 PM
How about jettisoning Herm for MoHilbilly's uncle?

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 04:46 PM
you keep this up and we're gonna take away your homer card

Never!
Homers never die...
:arrow:
Donnell Bennett 4-ever!!!!!

HonestChieffan
11-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Someone who knows the 5 running plays used in the NFL

HonestChieffan
11-22-2007, 05:53 PM

Positive reps to the noob.

KCChiefsFan88
11-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Marty's one offseason as the Chiefs de-facto GM= see the 1998 disaster

StcChief
11-22-2007, 06:26 PM

a welcome change :thumb:

Count Alex's Losses
11-22-2007, 06:27 PM
It'll be Mike Shula

Nope.

NCarlsCorner2
11-22-2007, 06:32 PM
How about the Missouri Tigers OC, once they take care of the Jayhawks he will be a hot item.

Tribal Warfare
11-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Nope.

why not? He's Brodie's former coach and he knows Herm from Tampa

FringeNC
11-22-2007, 07:32 PM
As bad as the Chiefs' offense has been, I'd be perfectly fine with Solari as offensive coordinator next year-- as long as Herm and Dick Curl are gone.

There are many on the planet who are in denial -- the problem is not Mike Solari. The problem is Herm f'n Edwards.

milkman
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Marty's one offseason as the Chiefs de-facto GM= see the 1998 disaster

I absolutely hate agreeing with you, but Marty is a terrible talent evaluator.

I'd rather bring Jack Steadman back than freakin' Marty in any capacity.

Count Alex's Losses
11-22-2007, 08:19 PM
There are many on the planet who are in denial -- the problem is not Mike Solari. The problem is Herm f'n Edwards.

I think Solari has more control than you think. He's Herm's Greg Robinson.

blueballs
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
no need to break in some one new
someone who has done this before
we can only hope

ILChief
11-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Nope.

Mark it down, Shula is the next OC in KC

FringeNC
11-23-2007, 07:49 AM
I think Solari has more control than you think. He's Herm's Greg Robinson.

Yeah, right. "Circus" offense comments, publicly calling out Solari after one preseason game last year for a turnover, firing Shea and replacing him with his snitch Dick Curl, etc.

Guru
11-23-2007, 08:06 AM
no poll to follow.

Who will be: _________Solari
Who would you like it to be: __________Turner

philfree
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Our OC in 2008 will be Mike Solari. Me i'd like Al Saunders back.

PhilFree:arrow:

Easy 6
11-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Mark it down, Shula is the next OC in KC

God i hope not, what has he ever done at the pro level to inspire any kind of confidence???

He ran a TERRIBLE Bucs O under Dungy, we all know how that looked.

TEX
11-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, right. "Circus" offense comments, publicly calling out Solari after one preseason game last year for a turnover, firing Shea and replacing him with his snitch Dick Curl, etc.

And that's only what we know about. I'm sure there's more. The offense hasn't been the same since that fateful preseason game and subsequent "calling out" 2 off seasons ago. I know we lost alot of talent, but hardly any attempt was made to replace lost talent with players who had similar talent to keep the "system" going. I'm pretty sure that Herm didn't want the offense he has now, but I'm equally sure that he didn't want what we already had in place when he arrived. I never understood that because the fact is that offense not only scored points, it also controlled the clock. I wonder if Solari was forced on Herm by Carl and this is Herm's way of showing Carl that it just won't work now? Anyway, I have ZERO confidence that Herm will hire a good OC, especially since he's only done it once before, in Mike Heimerdinger, and that he was in New York for Herm's last season, the one in which the Jets finished 4-12 & he quit on his team during the season.

alanm
11-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Bill Callahan will be looking for work tomorrow. I'm fairly certain he'll be a candidate if the job comes open.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I absolutely hate agreeing with you, but Marty is a terrible talent evaluator.

Oh come on..

So your saying Marty had ZERO hand in evaulating Bernie Kosar, Derrick Thomas, Dale Carter, Tony G, Phillip Rivers and many, many more??

His problem in 98 was over-relying on problem free agent pickups.

Frankie
11-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I would be happy with Cameron, Turner, or Saunders again. I doubt seriously that Solari will be fired, and if he does, I doubt even more that any of those candidates would be brought in.
I wonder if Solari can be talked into stepping down into the OL coaching where he belongs. I hate to lose him outright. But if Cameron or Turner become available I'd be soooo tempted. For Solari to accept this "demotion" he has to be bribed with a face-saving scenario and perhaps an additional title.

Frankie
11-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I ask again, what has Marty done personnelwise to make so many of you covet him as our next GM?!... I just don't get it!!

Frankie
11-23-2007, 11:38 AM
i like how you think, n00b.
Positive reps to the noob.
a welcome change, :thumb:

SEE ABOVE!

Frankie
11-23-2007, 11:41 AM
As bad as the Chiefs' offense has been, I'd be perfectly fine with Solari as offensive coordinator next year-- as long as Herm and Dick Curl are gone.
Why is everyone so quick to discard Herm?! His contributions to our drafts have been invaluable. He needs to loosen up his tight fist over the 'O.' Other than that I'm quite happy with him. And I was not a happy camper when he was hired.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Why is everyone so quick to discard Herm?! His contributions to our drafts have been invaluable. He needs to loosen up his tight fist over the 'O.' Other than that I'm quite happy with him. And I was not a happy camper when he was hired.

hangover from Marty imo

some of us waited 10 years for marty to "loosen his tight fist over the 'O'" and it never happened.

herm looks like a marty clone to many of us

RedThat
11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
hangover from Marty imo

some of us waited 10 years for marty to "loosen his tight fist over the 'O'" and it never happened.

herm looks like a marty clone to many of us

If not, worse. At least Marty did a better job getting his teams prepared? Herm on the other hand, we all know how he does in that category.

chagrin
11-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Just to throw a name out there, because I don't claim to know what it will take, other than fine tuning the personnel a litle first, to make a huge dif:

Mike Mularkey might be a good idea, he's crafty and always did a good job with Pittsburgh before he prematurely left to be a head coach.

FringeNC
11-23-2007, 12:51 PM

Have our drafts been all that great?

Brock
11-23-2007, 12:53 PM

Compared to the previous 8-10 years, yes.

jAZ
11-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Will be: Paul Hackett
Should be: Trent Green/Al Saunders

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Will be: Paul Hackett
Should be: Trent Green/Al Saunders

Won't be: Any of those guys, and never had a chance of being.

RedThat
11-23-2007, 01:51 PM
People get it through your skulls, it don't matter who we have as OC, as long as Herm is here our offense is always gonna suck!!

That's the bottomline. Please, don't set yourself up for disappointment.

And the blame on Solari needs to stop. I honestly feel bad for the guy. I think he could be a good OC if he had a coach that is capable of helping him and guiding him well. Because we all know that happened to Saunders when vermeil was here. Solari is no different than a goat? He is just following what the guys in front of him want him to do.

Solari is a good coach. I truly believe that. He may not be suited to be an OC? But if he has good coaches around him, he excels. I honestly thought he was one of the best OL coach in the league when we had DV here.

The offense is going to suck cause of Herm. You guys all know that? C'mon man? Look at the talent he had in NY? Coles, Moss, Pennington, Martin, L. Jordan, Chrebet...He even had a talented line..McKenzie, Mawae, Fabini...Changed co-ordinators 3 times...But offense always ranked at the bottom of the league.

It's Herm, it's all him. He handcuffs offenses. And then when you hear, "whoa, 21 points! That's a lot of points! arena ball!" well, it goes to show, he doesn't want to score 30 points a game...He wants to win games 13-10.

Mindset, attitude of the coach is the MAIN reason why this offense will suck as long as he is here. It doesn't matter who we have. Save yourself the worry, and disappointment.

TEX
11-23-2007, 04:38 PM
People get it through your skulls, it don't matter who we have as OC, as long as Herm is here our offense is always gonna suck!!

That's the bottomline. Please, don't set yourself up for disappointment.

And the blame on Solari needs to stop. I honestly feel bad for the guy. I think he could be a good OC if he had a coach that is capable of helping him and guiding him well. Because we all know that happened to Saunders when vermeil was here. Solari is no different than a goat? He is just following what the guys in front of him want him to do.

Solari is a good coach. I truly believe that. He may not be suited to be an OC? But if he has good coaches around him, he excels. I honestly thought he was one of the best OL coach in the league when we had DV here.

The offense is going to suck cause of Herm. You guys all know that? C'mon man? Look at the talent he had in NY? Coles, Moss, Pennington, Martin, L. Jordan, Chrebet...He even had a talented line..McKenzie, Mawae, Fabini...Changed co-ordinators 3 times...But offense always ranked at the bottom of the league.

It's Herm, it's all him. He handcuffs offenses. And then when you hear, "whoa, 21 points! That's a lot of points! arena ball!" well, it goes to show, he doesn't want to score 30 points a game...He wants to win games 13-10.

Mindset, attitude of the coach is the MAIN reason why this offense will suck as long as he is here. It doesn't matter who we have. Save yourself the worry, and disappointment.

Pretty much nailed it.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 04:41 PM
But offense always ranked at the bottom of the league.

Incorrect.

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
My nightmare since Herm was hired has been...

Jimmy "three and out" Raye.

Bowser
11-23-2007, 05:10 PM
My nightmare since Herm was hired has been...

Jimmy "three and out" Raye.

But....but....he coached Grbac to a 500 yard passing day against the Raiders!

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 05:11 PM
But....but....he coached Grbac to a 500 yard passing day against the Raiders!Someone once said something about sunshine and dog's asses.

Gary
11-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I can't help but wonder what the condition of the team would be today had CP promoted Al Saunders. I'm not saying Al would be a better head coach, but what would be the team's weak points with him at the helm? Would there have been the same offensive departures? Would the defense have been able to climb out of the cellar?

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I can't help but wonder what the condition of the team would be today had CP promoted Al Saunders. I'm not saying Al would be a better head coach, but what would be the team's weak points with him at the helm? Would there have been the same offensive departures? Would the defense have been able to climb out of the cellar?The offensive departures that mattered most, in my opinion, were Roaf and Shields, and I think they were probably both done either way.

I think it's entirely possible we'd have been in worse shape, long-term, because there's nothing that would make me think Saunders was any good at talent evaluation around draft time (were there any good offensive picks between '01 and '05 not named "larry johnson"?) Whether he succeeds or fails in terms of wins and losses, I think it's safe to say that Edwards is well on his way to a much-needed roster overhaul, with what look like two of the better drafts of the last 15 years.

I just wish the games were easier to watch.

Frankie
11-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Can you recall any better 2 year draft for us in the last 20 years?

Frankie
11-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Incorrect.
That's what I thought too. Though I don't have stats available to me.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I can't help but wonder what the condition of the team would be today had CP promoted Al Saunders.

Considering that NO OTHER NFL FRANCHISE wanted to make Saunders a head coach, I'd bet we would suck.

And the guy is like 60. No thanks.

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I want to know how much credit for drafting goes to coaches, GMs, and the head of personell.

The drafts have gotten better since Herm has been the coach, but it has also gotten better since Kuriach replaced Lynn Stiles. Who gets the credit for success?I obviously don't work in Arrowhead, but my understanding is that Peterson has always given his coaching staffs almost free reign in the draft room. And there's no question that it was that way with Vermeil and company, Larry Johnson aside. Kris Wilson was widely publicized as an Al Saunders pet project, so we know he was involved.

Maybe it's Stiles, but my personal theory is that the previous staff was too hands-on for Day 1, which is why most of our picks in the first 3 rounds were busts. They didn't listen to the scouting staff (Chuck Cook and the rest), they picked their guys themselves, based on personal contact through the coaching network, what they saw at pro days and the combine and the Senior Bowl. That's how we ended up with the likes of Ryan Sims and Eddie Freeman and Junior Siavii. And then when the scouting staff was allowed to do their job and direct day two of the draft, the team did better.

Herm listens to his scouts, has a better relationship and degree of trust with them, and that's why I think the drafts are better now...Another thing to keep in mind is that Trent Green and Terry Shea would likely still be with this team if Saunders was head coach, and Huard probably would be with another team. Ty Law probably would not have signed with us.I don't think Green would make much of a difference at this point. I think our issue is the line, and we'd see play out of him exactly like we got in 2001. That's assuming he hadn't been knocked out with concussions. I think that may have happened, because I think the line would have been just as bad.Doubt our defense would be as good as it is now, or if we would have won as many games (or gone into the playoffs last yr), but I think we would have a better offense based on playcalling alone.I don't entirely agree with that. I believe Saunders benefitted from the presence of Roaf as much as anyone, and while I believe the offense might be better with him calling plays, I don't believe the difference would be all that significant. I don't think the guys we have on the right side of the line can block, and there's not really any way to scheme around that.

I'd also note that Saunders has been mediocre at best in Washington, and I think that's a more talented offensive unit than we have, at least in terms of line play.

For me, 2002-2005 was sort of a perfect storm. A lot of things went perfectly. But the team was showing signs of decline in '05, and I don't think Saunders would have stemmed that tide in '06 and this year. Because to me, the issue of the offense is personnel even more than coaching, and we're suffering due to the fruits of our '01-'05 drafts. Which gave us no depth, no offensive personnel to take the reigns from retiring players, left us with virtually nothing for the future of the Chiefs offense.

booger
11-26-2007, 04:44 AM
I think Solari's main problem is as a playcaller. He isn't good at it. We don't seem to be able to game plan either. We didn't do him any favors by letting go of Terry Shea with no one left with knowledge of the passing game. Solari is still lost trying to keep up with Air Coryell instead of adapting to what he has.

I can't stand Curl either. Hopefully his old ass will be forced to retire or fired. This guy was supposedly brought in to assist with the qb's as well. http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/kevin_patullo/ Definatly not OC but maybe a future qb coach. Seems like a big jump from College Grad asst to know O assistant/quality control. Hopefully he was a young riser who we got lucky and hired comparred to just an unknown. Just a thought. I really hadn't heard of him before we got him.

As far as OC: Turner would be great if he gets canned. Maybe Jim Fassel.

Brodie needs a QB tutor and the offense needs a good gameplanner and play caller.