PDA

View Full Version : RAND: An almost remarkable comeback

C-Mac
11-22-2007, 09:11 PM
RAND: An almost remarkable comeback
Nov 22, 2007, 4:47:46 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

Just about all professional athletes want to retire on their own terms. Even when it might seem smart to walk away, they dread spending the rest of their lives wondering whether a career might have ended differently had they given it one last shot.

It was not surprising that Priest Holmes wanted to put a happier ending on his career after suffering a head injury at San Diego on October 30, 2005. The ending, as it turned out, was not much happier when Holmes announced his retirement Wednesday.

His said that during last week’s game at Indianapolis, he experienced “symptoms” similar to those he felt when neck and head injuries forced him to the sidelines for two years. Because of Larry Johnson’s foot injury, Holmes for the last two weeks received a full-time workload.

At least he can retire without second thoughts about what might have been. And he was fortunate to receive a warning signal before he risked more serious damage to his head and neck.

Holmes’ comeback lasted only four games, not long enough for him to give the Chiefs the extra spark they hoped he might bring, even in a limited role. Yet that was long enough for him to prove himself much more than a shadow of the running back who was the NFL’s best from 2001-2005. He remains the best runner in Chiefs franchise history.

Holmes, 34, showed he could still hit the hole quickly and battle for yardage. He looked anything but vulnerable in his final game when he used his forearm to knock back a tackler in a sideline collision. It appeared that a remarkable comeback was taking shape.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, Holmes had stayed in better shape than the rest of their running game. When running behind a line that included future Hall of Fame players Willie Roaf and Will Shields, Holmes could burst into the secondary and constantly pose a home run threat.

But in his two starts this year, holes were as scarce for Holmes as they’ve been for all Chiefs backs. He put in at least 100 yards of effort against the Colts last week but came away with just 55 yards on 19 carries in a 13-10 loss. He was shaken up in the third quarter and left the game. He came back for two more carries, which, as it turned out, were the last of his career.

Holmes, 5 feet, 9 and 213, was powerfully built but on the small side for a back who averaged 389 touches – runs and catches – from 2001-2003. And while he’s best remembered as an outside threat, he did much of his best work between the tackles, especially near the goal line.

Holmes made the Pro Bowl each of his three peak seasons while averaging 1,530 yards on the ground. In 2003, he rushed for 27 touchdowns, which broke the NFL record for total touchdowns in a season.

Had he been able to sustain his peak production for another few seasons, Holmes might be a Hall of Fame candidate. But a knee injury ended his 2004 season after eight games and the neck injury ended his 2005 season after seven games.

If anyone thinks him fragile, consider that Holmes lasted for 1,780 NFL carries. Darn few backs have the talent and durability to last so long.

Because of his quirky and hard-to-read personality, it was hard to gauge the seriousness of Holmes’s comeback. He said he made his decision based on a dream shortly before he asked to report to training camp. He had not kept himself close to tip-top condition.

But when Holmes was activated against the Raiders last month, his physique was a tipoff to how hard he’d been working. Then we all saw how hard he still ran.

Holmes’ spirit was still willing, but his body let him down. And there’s no better signal that it’s time to retire.

Rand: An almost remarkable comeback (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/22/rand_an_almost_remarkable_comeback/)

KC Tattoo
11-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Better than Twhitlocks

Easy 6
11-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Love ya Priest, you were always dignified & NEVER gave anything less than your best.

I'm very proud to call you a CHIEF.

MIAdragon
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Love ya Priest, you were always dignified & NEVER gave anything less than your best.

I'm very proud to call you a CHIEF.

I put his jersey away after he decided not to play again and pound the nachos instead but now I have NO problem wearing it again and still will.

Doob02
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
it is sad to see THE PRIEST
GO.....

I respect him all the more because of his comeback but you can't play games with your health

wish we could get him to come back as a couch hell maybe our OC next year

Easy 6
11-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I put his jersey away after he decided not to play again and pound the nachos instead but now I have NO problem wearing it again and still will.

It really makes it tough for me to respect LJ sometimes, the way he always seemed to be so dismissive of Priest, with the basic attitude of "i dont need to learn anything from him".

He could learn ALL KINDS of stuff from him & its to his shame that he never did seem to try to.

Its like he blamed Priest for him having to sit on the bench.

kcfanintitanhell
11-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I wonder how LJ would respond to Priest becoming the RB coach.

MIAdragon
11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I wonder how LJ would respond to Priest becoming the RB coach.

Has Priest said he would like to coach? I can see him just wanting to relax and have nothing to do with football.

Mecca
11-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Better than Twhitlocks

In fairness all the writers shouldn't write the same article.

Count Alex's Losses
11-22-2007, 10:23 PM

At least Whitlock's wasn't a captain obvious slurpfest.

Easy 6
11-22-2007, 10:40 PM
At least Whitlock's wasn't a captain obvious slurpfest.

Priests gutty attempt to return DESERVED a "slurpfest".

Not to mention all of the other things he did for this team, is it wrong to praise the guy at the end of his career???

KC Tattoo
11-22-2007, 10:59 PM

He could have should have waited a couple of days. PH deserves some respect for what he has done for this team.

Count Alex's Losses
11-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Priests gutty attempt to return DESERVED a "slurpfest".

Not to mention all of the other things he did for this team, is it wrong to praise the guy at the end of his career???

I don't mind a good slurpfest, but a captain obvious one isn't worth reading. At least JoPo's was interesting to read.

blueballs
11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Is Bennett on Tampa's IR list yet
he was a MASH unit before he came here

Ari Chi3fs
11-23-2007, 01:23 AM
That forearm blast was bad-ass. Id like to have that as a gif.

Skip Towne
11-23-2007, 06:53 AM
This article is a much more appropriate send off for one of the Chiefs greats.

old_geezer
11-23-2007, 07:36 AM
it is sad to see THE PRIEST
GO.....

I respect him all the more because of his comeback but you can't play games with your health

wish we could get him to come back as a couch hell maybe our OC next year

Wouldn't it look strange to see the other players sitting on him? :)