PDA

View Full Version : Kerkhoff: This is only the beginning for Kansas, Missouri

KcMizzou
11-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Kerkhoff: This is only the beginning for Kansas, Missouri

Hype for Saturday’s Border War started with January’s announcement of the game moving to Arrowhead, picked up inertia as Kansas and Missouri steamrolled through their season and is now a runaway train of exhilaration.

So much so that extra security will be on hand at Arrowhead to keep the peace. We wish them luck.

But buildup for next year’s game at Arrowhead, the second in the two-year contract, will grow even bigger. Mushroom cloud proportion. Count on it.

How can it not? For all the talk of Saturday’s game, chatter really didn’t start until about two months ago when the Jayhawks and Tigers got off to fast starts. Many purchased tickets in the spring and summer but kept plans for this November weekend open just in case the football thing didn’t get interesting.

Let’s see how easy it will be to get a ticket to next year’s game. The 2008 ticket hunt and showdown smack commences when the clock hits zero Saturday, and both sides will have plenty to discuss.

These programs, newcomers to the world of division championships, conference title and BCS national championship contender roles, will join another unfamiliar group the moment they unlace cleats this season.

They’re about to become favorites.

Check out the Tigers’ and Jayhawks’ rosters. Missouri will start seven seniors Saturday, and one, running back Tony Temple, is hopeful for another year of eligibility.

The others are wide receiver Will Franklin, left tackle Tyler Luellen, center Adam Spieker, tight end Martin Rucker, nose guard Lorenzo Williams and cornerback Darnell Terrell.

Kansas will start five seniors: offensive tackle Cesar Rodriguez, tight end Derek Fine, wide receiver Marcus Henry, running back Brandon McAnderson and defensive tackle James McClinton.

Major contributors on both sides, and no doubt a few juniors like Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib, will cast more than a passing glance at their NFL draft prospects. But in both cases, Missouri and Kansas will return a load of talent, enough to be considered the North’s targets and perhaps preseason top 10 for 2008.

No sneaking up on the competition when quarterbacks Chase Daniel and Todd Reesing are back. They’re Heisman contenders now and the guess here is that next year they’ll join Florida quarterback Tim Tebow as the top three returning vote-getters for the game’s most prestigious award.

Just think about that. Next year, two of the top three preseason Heisman favorites will be from MU and KU.

At first glance, the only point of replacement concern among units is the Tigers’ offensive line, where three new starters must be found. The line has been exceptional, providing muscle for what I consider the nation’s best offense.

Schedules also come into play. Kansas’ gets considerably tougher with a trip to South Florida in September. The other nonconference opponents are Florida International, Louisiana Tech and Sam Houston State. In the Big 12, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech shove off Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

But never have the Jayhawks been better prepared to face the South’s big boys.

Missouri’s nonleague slate includes Illinois at St. Louis, Nevada, Buffalo and Southeast Missouri State, with Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma State replacing Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Texas A&M.

Add it up and it appears Saturday’s game, as greatly anticipated as any of the previous 115 meetings, will be no one-year wonder but the start of something special.

Mr. Plow
11-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I'd love to see the Jayhawks continue on the path they are on. Rather than be a 1 hit wonder, it is looking like they are on a path to be a contender.

As much as I dislike Missouri, seeing good teams in the North - not only football but basketball - makes the Big 12 a better conference overall. I'm tired of seeing the Big 12 being a weak conference.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Missouri will start seven seniors Saturday, and one, running back Tony Temple, is hopeful for another year of eligibility. Wide receiver Will Franklin, left tackle Tyler Luellen, center Adam Spieker, tight end Martin Rucker, nose guard Lorenzo Williams and cornerback Darnell Terrell.

Kansas will start five seniors: offensive tackle Cesar Rodriguez, tight end Derek Fine, wide receiver Marcus Henry, running back Brandon McAnderson and defensive tackle James McClinton.

where's that chiefsos puke?

ROYC75
11-23-2007, 03:19 PM
where's that chiefsos puke?

Somewhere still trying to convince himself that KU is not built for the long run, after all, he thinks we are just a 1 hit wonder........

jjchieffan
11-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I'd love to see the Jayhawks continue on the path they are on. Rather than be a 1 hit wonder, it is looking like they are on a path to be a contender.

As much as I dislike Missouri, seeing good teams in the North - not only football but basketball - makes the Big 12 a better conference overall. I'm tired of seeing the Big 12 being a weak conference.

Well, the teams KU and MU play next year are listed above. What do you expect their respective win loss records to be?

CupidStunt
11-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Not really. UT and OU are going to dominate the Big XII until MU and KU can start consistently pulling in decent recruiting classes.

The likes of Maclin is a good start for MU but they need a lot more players like him year after year.