PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Don't eff this up, fans....

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Right on, Jason.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/373049.html

Let the players, not the fans, settle this score

Donít do it. Donít make us national laughingstocks. Donít ruin our holiday treat.

Donít embarrass Gary Pinkel, Mark Mangino, Todd Reesing, Chase Daniel, Tony Temple, Aqib Talib, Lew Perkins, Mike Alden and Carl Peterson.

Weíre one day away from Armageddon at Arrowhead, and weíre all excited, we all want to be a part of it. We want the Kansas and Missouri football programs to entertain us, make us proud and settle a feud that has been marinating, bubbling and erupting for more than 100 years, since Quantrill and Brown disagreed about basic human rights.

Only one thing can ruin Saturday nightís historic clash:

You.

You can turn a college football game into a European soccer match. Donít do it.

Let Martin Rucker and Brandon McAnderson settle this. They put the work in. They chose Missouri and Kansas long before the Tigers and Jayhawks were national powerhouses. They sweated and sacrificed and believed in Manginoís and Pinkelís visions before any of us.

This is their night, an evening for the spotlight to shine solely on Chase Coffman and Anthony Collins.

Itís not a night for Missouri and Kansas fans to prove how manly or womanly they are by engaging in parking-lot or in-stadium brawls. Itís not a night for Kansas or Missouri fans to demonstrate how much hate and disrespect they have toward each other.

I promise you, the Tigers and the Jayhawks will be violent enough for all of us.

This game is a blessing. Itís an opportunity for Missouri and Kansas to showcase their programs and what they have to offer potential recruits. Itís an opportunity for Kansas City to showcase its ability to host a major sporting event and have Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit tell the world about our barbecue, our downtown redevelopment, our renovation plans at Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums, and the lights at the Country Club Plaza.

Even though we havenít been here before ó playing host to a college game of this magnitude and emotion ó we need to act like it.

If someone sitting close to you or passing you in the parking lot wants to start trouble, kill them with kindness. Thereís nothing wrong with some good-natured ribbing back and forth. Thatís the whole point and fun of this rivalry. But if someone is drunk and obviously looking for trouble, donít go there with them. Smile, be polite and go on enjoying the game.

You also need to practice a little tolerance. Many people in the stands Saturday night are going to be so full of nervous energy that theyíre going to want to stand up and be loud for the entire game. If your view is obstructed by someone standing, you need to get on your feet, too.

If you want to sit comfortably and enjoy an unobstructed view of the game, stay home and watch it on your big screen. You may have paid a fortune for your seat, but you need to recognize you paid that money to get into the building, to witness the most compelling event at Arrowhead Stadium since Michael, Jermaine, Tito, Randy and Marlon opened the Victory Tour in 1984.

Thatís right. Think of Saturday night as a concert. People are going to want to shake their booties, scream and maybe pass out.

But no one does anything to distract from the performance. No one has a hey-look-at-me moment.

Sports fans love to whine and blast modern athletes for over-the-top showboating, for doing individual acts that take attention away from the teams.

Donít you do it. Donít be the person who instigates an altercation, the person who gives Herbstreit, Corso and Fowler something to talk about other than Jeremy Maclin, Marcus Henry, James McClinton and Brock Christopher.

We donít need to prove how heated this rivalry is. The history books are filled with pages and pages of documentation of this particular border dispute. Let us prove Saturday night that we can dislike each, despise each otherís school, celebrate the holiday season and enjoy a magnificent football contest without embarrassing ourselves by acting like soccer hooligans.

BigVE
11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
You can tell just by the higher level of flaming going on between KU/MU fans on THIS board that this is taking the rivalry up to a whole other level. Add in several hours of "tailgating" before the game and you have recipe for utter embarrassment for both teams/fans alike.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 11:19 AM
No shit, hopefully there wont be too much trouble and people getting pissed off and fighting.

DaFace
11-23-2007, 11:19 AM
They just about ought to hand this article out to people as they enter the parking lot.

CoMoChief
11-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Bullshit. I'm bringing my shotgun.

BigVE
11-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Bullshit. I'm bringing my shotgun.

...says the MU fan.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 11:26 AM
...says the MU fan.
Kalen Grimes logged into his account

CoMoChief
11-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Kalen Grimes logged into his account
ROFL. I'm going JR Giddens on some ass tomorrow.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Good article ... hopefully a bunch of stupid shit doesn't happen but I have a bad feeling something stupid will happen

Bob Dole
11-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Bob Dole agrees with Jason.

Mizzou fans need to just ignore the KUnts who insist on starting crap.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Nice article...I pray others heed his advice...and remember this is only a game.

jjchieffan
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
This seems out of character for Jdumbwhit. He is a pot stirrer. Leave the civil articles to JoPo.

Demonpenz
11-23-2007, 11:34 AM
don't start no shit there won't be no shit!

cdcox
11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I think several small scale altercations are inevitable. There will be too many drunk people, too close together, too evenly divided, with too much on the line. Hopefully they'll have enough security to remove the offenders before things get out of hand.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I think several small scale altercations are inevitable. There will be too many drunk people, too close together, too evenly divided, with too much on the line. Hopefully they'll have enough security to remove the offenders before things get out of hand.

Do not worry you will see plenty of security both uniformed and under cover...many high profile VIPS will be in attendance.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2007, 11:54 AM

Hell, there are fights every weekend at Arrowhead between CHIEFS fans who have had too much to drink.

Can only imagine how out of control it will be tomorrow night.

Brock
11-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Don't embarrass your school.

gblowfish
11-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I hope both sides track down Fatlock in the parking lot and beat his ass.

Lzen
11-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Yeah, because I'm sure MU fans are all class. They would never start anything. :rolleyes:

Lzen
11-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Good article by jwhit, btw.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 12:38 PM
to witness the most compelling event at Arrowhead Stadium since Michael, Jermaine, Tito, Randy and Marlon opened the Victory Tour in 1984.

Best line of the whole column.....hahah

I remember the mania surrounding that concert.

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Apparently they put the two student sections next to each other.

Recipe for disaster...

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah, because I'm sure MU fans are all class. They would never start anything. :rolleyes:
Hopefully both fan bases will have the majority but who knows there is always a few assholes from each side.

Braincase
11-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I fully expect to see a miniature Lawrence model set ablaze by MU fans.

WilliamTheIrish
11-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Do not worry you will see plenty of security both uniformed and under cover...many high profile VIPS will be in attendance.

High profile VIP's will be sitting comfortably in the suite section.

Demonpenz
11-23-2007, 02:13 PM
saturday's alright for fighting

Bowser
11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I fully expect to see a miniature Lawrence model set ablaze by MU fans.

You would have to admit that that would be funny.

Has there ever been a fight during College Gameday?

Fishpicker
11-23-2007, 02:22 PM

the least Bob Dole could do is to stay in character.

dtebbe
11-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I actually had a Jaychoke giving me shit at the Falcons game last night... (you don't think I wore falcons gear do you?).

He and a few guys with him kept talking smack while we were going up the escillator, and I just yelled back "You'll choke like you always do".

The laughter from all the non-concerned folks was priceless at that point. Even fans disconnected from the rivalry know the Jayhawks usually choke.

DT

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 03:07 PM
High profile VIP's will be sitting comfortably in the suite section.

Before the game and after the game...not during the game.

WilliamTheIrish
11-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Before the game and after the game...not during the game.

What high profile VIP's are you talking about? The Governor(s)? They'll arrive by private vehicle, with security, and go right in the VIP entrance. They'll leave the same way.They aren't going to be out in the crowd.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-23-2007, 03:19 PM
The Student sections NEXT to each other?? That's just asking for carnage.

You have to know going into a place like this that some motherf*ckers always try to ice skate uphill. You just have to deal with it. It's probably going to be like a Chiefs fan being in Oakland, except it will be that way for 80,000 people.

Good piece of responsible journalism, but given the age of the students, some people are going to get stomped out.

Spott
11-23-2007, 03:34 PM
...says the MU fan.

Actually, I think he's a KU fan that lives in Columbia.

Messier
11-23-2007, 03:43 PM

But Senator Dole, you are a KU alumni.

irishjayhawk
11-23-2007, 03:55 PM
The Student sections NEXT to each other?? That's just asking for carnage.

You have to know going into a place like this that some motherf*ckers always try to ice skate uphill. You just have to deal with it. It's probably going to be like a Chiefs fan being in Oakland, except it will be that way for 80,000 people.

Good piece of responsible journalism, but given the age of the students, some people are going to get stomped out.

They aren't next to each other. I don't know what tard thought that. They're at opposite ends of the endzone. KU on one end, MU on the other.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 03:59 PM
They aren't next to each other. I don't know what tard thought that. They're at opposite ends of the endzone. KU on one end, MU on the other.

Here is the seating chart for the game.

Anyong Bluth
11-23-2007, 04:02 PM
the student sections aren't together, there's a map floating around showing the sections reserved for KU and MU. they are divided. The rest are general admission and will be a mix of fans.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 04:03 PM
the student sections aren't together, there's a map floating around showing the sections reserved for KU and MU. they are divided. The rest are general admission and will be a mix of fans.

Post #36

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I smell a "cars on fire" type of night.

Similiar to Detroit and Cleveland fans.

Bowser
11-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Here is the seating chart for the game.

Ugh. I'm going to have to pour bleach on my seat before the Chiefs take on the Raiders to get the KU taint off of it.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Ugh. I'm going to have to pour bleach on my seat before the Chiefs take on the Raiders to get the KU taint off of it.

Dude, even a KU fan like me finds that funny.
ROFL ROFL

Nzoner
11-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm going to do like I normally do at broncos and raider games and just look and smile and hope the hell Jose Cuervo knows when to STFU

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2007, 05:12 PM

I didn't think that seemed right. That was a rumor that was floating around.

Skip Towne
11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I'll be lookin' for some Slavers to whup.

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2007, 05:25 PM
I'll be lookin' for some Slavers to whup.

I knew you were old, but I never thought John Brown was posting on this board.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm going to do like I normally do at broncos and raider games and just look and smile and hope the hell Jose Cuervo knows when to STFU

Nzoner...Jose or Mr. Crown...always know best.

DenverChief
11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I sure hope that the powers that be have hired enough Missouri State Police, Jackson County Sheriff's and KCMO Police for the game.....seriously

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I sure hope that the powers that be have hired enough Missouri State Police, Jackson County Sheriff's and KCMO Police for the game.....seriously

30% more than a standard Chiefs game...let's hope that will be enough.

thurman merman
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=OnTheWarpath58]

You also need to practice a little tolerance. Many people in the stands Saturday night are going to be so full of nervous energy that theyíre going to want to stand up and be loud for the entire game. If your view is obstructed by someone standing, you need to get on your feet, too.

If you want to sit comfortably and enjoy an unobstructed view of the game, stay home and watch it on your big screen.

[QUOTE]

i wish people that go to chiefs games would read this.

Baconeater
11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
If your view is obstructed by someone standing, you need to get on your feet, too.

If you want to sit comfortably and enjoy an unobstructed view of the game, stay home and watch it on your big screen.
This should be the rule for ALL football games, college or pro.

Jayhawkerman2001
11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
ive said this for a while now since we've known the importance of this game. I'm going to be tailgating before the game with a shit ton of people and im just really nervous people are going to be stupid... Ive told myself that im not going to drink anything while tailgating because i tend to become stupid in heated situations when i drink. I know a lot of fights are going to be happening, some ill probably have to break up so people stop looking like fools... god i hope either of our sides don't embarrass the hell out of ourselves... we've come this fookin far, we need to all act like we deserve to be there

Cochise
11-23-2007, 06:58 PM
This all makes sense, but you know a bunch of drunken 20 year olds are going to show up looking for trouble no matter what.

Bowser
11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
There will be fights. Hoefully the Gameday set doesn't get destroyed.

Bob Dole
11-23-2007, 07:55 PM
This all makes sense, but you know a bunch of drunken 20 year olds are going to show up looking for trouble no matter what.

Maybe the Kansas Highway Patrol can arrest them all for DUI before they get to the state line.

Simplex3
11-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I would like to reiterate that if any of you assholes or your friends reinforce the "Camarowhead" stereotype I hope you spend the night in a cell block with Bubba.

Ari Chi3fs
11-23-2007, 09:36 PM
yes. We can dislike with disrespect. A few of my very best friends are mizzou fans. I don't hold it against them too often.

Whitlock could have spun this a bit differently. He actually added to the negative energy by mentioning what we don't want.

Hopefully, KC will act with class.