PDA

View Full Version : Big day for Tamba Hali?

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/510285.html

Raiders place tackle Green on injured reserve
Associated Press

Published 5:23 pm PST Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Print | E-Mail | Comments (1) | Digg it | del.icio.us

ALAMEDA -- Right tackle Cornell Green was placed on injured reserve Wednesday with an ankle injury, yet another blow to the Raiders' struggling offense.

Green, who was slowed by a knee injury earlier this season, was injured with 1:54 left in the second quarter of Oakland's 29-22 loss to Minnesota last Sunday. The veteran offensive lineman, who started all 10 games for the Raiders this season, was replaced by second-year offensive lineman Paul McQuistan and didn't return.

With Green out for the remainder of the season, the Raiders are exploring the possibility of moving Robert Gallery to the right tackle spot. Gallery, the second overall draft pick in 2004, played both tackle positions during his first three NFL seasons but was moved to left guard in the offseason.

"We're going to look at a couple things," Oakland coach Lane Kiffin said. "Paul could be out there. Robert could be out there. As far as the plan for Sunday, it could be either of those."

Gallery and McQuistan -- who picked up two penalties against Minnesota in relief of Green -- split time at right tackle during practice Wednesday. If Gallery were to be moved, the Raiders would then use either McQuistan or Chris Morris at left guard.

"Cornell's down and they're going to have to make a change," Gallery said. "I haven't done it in a year or so, but they're going to do what's best for this football team."

The Raiders signed offensive lineman Seth Wand to take Green's spot on the roster. Wand, a third-round pick of Houston in 2003, started 16 games in 2004 but was released by the Texans two years later. He signed with Tennessee late in 2006 and played exclusively on special teams.

Oakland's line has allowed 31 sacks this season, tied for sixth-most in the NFL. The Raiders are also the fourth-most penalized team in the league with 76. Before getting hurt against Minnesota, Green was second in the league with eight false start penalties.

The pain doesn't end there.

Backup center Jake Grove has been inactive for the past three weeks with a knee injury and did not practice Wednesday. Starter Jeremy Newberry was also given the day off to rest his knees, leaving Morris -- a seventh-round pick in 2006 -- as the only healthy center.

"People get hurt in this league and changes have to be made," Gallery said. "Somebody's got to be able to play."

John_Wayne
11-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Or, it could be a big day for Allen. The Raiders my overcompensate and roll their blocking to Hali's side to help out their rookie RT, therefore leaving Jarad Allen with an easier path to the QB. Either way, one of them, or both of them should feast. Just a thought.

unothadeal
11-23-2007, 01:54 PM
If I were Gunther, I would blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz.

Nzoner
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I've been holding onto to KC's D in one of my money leagues especially for this game,here's to eleventy billion sacks and 2-3 td's by Jared and Co.

BigRock
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Tamba seemed more into the action against the Colts than he's been the past several weeks. Maybe the knee is finally better.

CupidStunt
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Hopefully. But he's disappointing me a lot and I expect him to DOMINATE these scrubs... and he isn't.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Has Hali ever had a huge day? Hes a decent player, but im convinced hes never going to be a player who can just take over a game. (hes solid though)

Easy 6
11-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Even with a dinged knee, i think Tamba is in a proverbial "Sophmore Slump". Teams have had plenty of time to study & scheme him & he still has a lot to learn at the position...combine that with a balky knee & you get a down year.

He may never be a superstar, but his motor, work ethic & heart will never let him just average...i'm still glad to have him, he's a true "character" guy IMO.

He can be our Rob Burnett to Jareds Michael McCrary.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Hali has also missed 2-3 sacks this year because he's been trying to strip the ball. Sacks come in bunches. I bet he's close to 10 by season's end. Just a hunch. I think we could see 3 Sunday.

JBucc
11-23-2007, 09:52 PM
BUST. Cut his ass.

Mecca
11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
A big game for him at this point is just getting his name called......don't tell that to the guy who said he'd rather have Hali than Aaron Kampman in the Packer game thread though.

unothadeal
11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
The bootleg killed him multiple times in the Denver game. It was like watching Eric Hicks, only darker.

Easy 6
11-23-2007, 09:58 PM
The bootleg killed him multiple times in the Denver game. It was like watching Eric Hicks, only darker.

That could have just been the call, asking him to crash inside.

Mecca
11-23-2007, 10:01 PM
We'll see how it all plays out, biggest problem with Tamba is he basically doesn't have much upside, he is what he is.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 10:02 PM
We'll see how it all plays out, biggest problem with Tamba is he basically doesn't have much upside, he is what he is.

Yeah that Jared Allen guy didn't have much upside... :rolleyes:

Mecca
11-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah that Jared Allen guy didn't have much upside... :rolleyes:

Um it doesn't mean he sucks, most scouts considered Hali polished without much upside, a is what he is player. That was a reason he wasn't that highly regarded on draft day is that he was a pretty maxed out player that likely wouldn't get much better.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Um it doesn't mean he sucks, most scouts considered Hali polished without much upside, a is what he is player. That was a reason he wasn't that highly regarded on draft day is that he was a pretty maxed out player that likely wouldn't get much better.

You were the guy before the season telling us Allen would never lead the league in sacks. For all you know Hali has untapped potential and will be a 15-sack defensive end in a couple years.

Mecca
11-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Think what you want, Allen was all upside coming from a small school and being unpolished....Hali is exactly the opposite of him.

He was far from being a project and pretty polished, it's why I wasn't all that high on him.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Think what you want, Allen was all upside coming from a small school and being unpolished....Hali is exactly the opposite of him.

He was far from being a project and pretty polished, it's why I wasn't all that high on him.

Allen was actually rated pretty highly. The reason he went to a small college, was his immaturity and drinking problems.

His talent has never been in question. His character, yes.

StcChief
11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Hali still has a ways to go. A good game here would be a nice start. Somebody else steppin' up on D.

Ugly Duck
11-23-2007, 11:46 PM
I think we could see 3 (sacks) Sunday.

The Oakland o-line is giving up an average of 3 sacks per game, and you are predicting that we'll give up 3 sacks on Sunday. Thats a very astute prediction. You should like write articles and stuff.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
The Oakland o-line is giving up an average of 3 sacks per game, and you are predicting that we'll give up 3 sacks on Sunday. Thats a very astute prediction.

I'm talking about 3 for Hali alone. He had a very good game last week against a very good offensive tackle in Ryan Diem. He's going to beat Paul McQuistan like the red-headed stepchild he is tomorrow.

Mecca
11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Um the Colts RG was playing RT for at least half of that game.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Um the Colts RG was playing RT for at least half of that game.

Diem started. I don't see that he got hurt. Are you sure?

Mecca
11-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Yea he went out, I know he was out for at least the 2nd half. They had their 5th Tackle playing LT because of all of it going on.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Yea he went out, I know he was out for at least the 2nd half. They had their 5th Tackle playing LT because of all of it going on.

It appears you are correct. Anyway, McQuistan is still utter crap. I'll be very disappointed if Hali is invisible tomorrow.

Ugly Duck
11-23-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm talking about 3 for Hali alone. He's going to beat Paul McQuistan like the red-headed stepchild he is tomorrow.

McQuistan had to sub for Green against Tennessee and Minnesota... and he looked pretty dang weak. He's gonna be a weak spot on Sunday for sure.

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 12:14 AM
McQuistan had to sub for Green against Tennessee and Minnesota... and he looked pretty dang weak. He's gonna be a weak spot on Sunday for sure.

Sweet!

http://i4.tinypic.com/85vh15d.gif

I wasn't able to locate a recording of the Minnesota game. You wouldn't have a link perchance. The fine folks at raiderfans.net frown on that sorta thing.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Look it's Tamba Hali's one good play of the last month.

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 12:18 AM

Shut the **** up. Hali got extreme pressure on Cutler a few times against Denver.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 12:21 AM
LOL....he hasn't been good this year, there's no nice way to spin it, not nearly as good as last year.

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 12:23 AM
LOL....he hasn't been good this year, there's no nice way to spin it, not nearly as good as last year.

Tamba has missed about three sacks by attempting to strip the ball. Would you be more supportive if he had connected on those sacks and had 7 right now?

Sacks come in bunches. I think he will be close to 10 by the end of the year. Just a hunch.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Tamba has missed about three sacks by attempting to strip the ball. Would you be more supportive if he had connected on those sacks and had 7 right now?

Sacks come in bunches. I think he will be close to 10 by the end of the year. Just a hunch.

I think Tamba is what he is....he'll be a 6-10 sack guy every year, he'll never be a star or a pro bowler he'll be a solid player. That was basically what I said earlier when I said he didn't have a lot of upside.

And you and several other people gave me shit for wanting the athlete in Cromartie instead of him.....the team didn't have that choice to make but it does appear I was correct going into that draft on who was a better pick.

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 12:28 AM
it does appear I was correct going into that draft on who was a better pick.

LOL...Cromartie made a few highlight reels plays but outside of that he isn't even a starter.

2bikemike
11-24-2007, 01:32 AM
I wonder what the record is for most sacks in a game? And I mean Total sacks. With 2 crappy O-lines it will be a long day for both QB's.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 01:46 AM
LOL...Cromartie made a few highlight reels plays but outside of that he isn't even a starter.

Who'd you rather have.......if you say Hali I will crack up.

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Who'd you rather have.......if you say Hali I will crack up.

DE > CB

Mecca
11-24-2007, 01:51 AM
DE > CB

Yes average DE>good corner with star potential...it's fine if you don't wanna admit I was right about it but this is funny...it's like the guy yesterday that said he'd rather have Hali than Aaron Kampman.

6 ints 12 passes defensed longest return in nfl history which can never be broken....who wants that :rolleyes:

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Yes average DE>good corner with star potential...it's fine if you don't wanna admit I was right about it but this is funny...it's like the guy yesterday that said he'd rather have Hali than Aaron Kampman.

6 ints 12 passes defensed longest return in nfl history which can never be broken....who wants that :rolleyes:

Hali is not Eric Hicks.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Yes he is not total suck.....he's an above average player......

I think it's cool to support players and all but I still think that saying you'd rather have Hali than Cromartie is pure homerism.

Also for what you said earlier about the upside thing, Hali doesn't have much, he's about as polished as one can be...he has all the techniques down. That's what you teach guys who are raw...

The difference in a guy like Allen and Hali is, Allen had closing speed and good speed in general Hali doesn't, he had the techniques down....you can teach technique you can't teach speed. That's why I don't think he'll ever get much better than he is now.

He's had an off year but what he was last year is about what I expect of him.

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 02:04 AM
The difference in a guy like Allen and Hali is, Allen had closing speed and good speed in general Hali doesn't, he had the techniques down....you can teach technique you can't teach speed.

That's bullcrap.

2. Jared Allen, Idaho State (6-6, 265)
Allen ran the 40 in 4.75 seconds. He played defensive end at Idaho State and was voted the I-AA defensive player of the year. He is also a very good deep snapper and has coverage ability for special teams.

Name: Tamba Hali (Picture from Garden State Sports)
Hometown: Teaneck, NJ
Position: Defensive Lineman
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 245 lbs.
40 Time: 4.75 seconds

In fact watching them play I think Hali might be the faster one.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Closing speed....big difference in how fast a guy is in a 5-10 yard area than he is in 40...also Allen's first step is much quicker and it's something Hali had as a knock coming out...he's not quick off the line.

Of course you'd probably rather have Hali than Kampman too right....OMG he's on the Chiefs he is the best!

Count Alex's Losses
11-24-2007, 02:16 AM
Of course you'd probably rather have Hali than Kampman too right....OMG he's on the Chiefs he is the best!

No, Mecca. Kampman > Hali.

Mecca
11-24-2007, 02:19 AM
At least you will admit that.....there was a guy yesterday who thinks Hali is better than Kampman.

CupidStunt
11-24-2007, 06:38 AM

You're a f**king moron.

Why don't you piss off for 48 hours and come back to celebrate when the Chiefs make a few bad plays on Sunday?

BigMeatballDave
11-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Look it's Tamba Hali's one good play of the last month.Jesus. I don't have a problem with hating on a Chief, but at least hate on someone who sucks. Hali is a banged-up 2nd year player. He's OK.

KC Tattoo
11-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Hali has been playing good. JA just gets to the QB first but Hali is right there most of the time.

Count Alex's Losses
11-25-2007, 04:08 PM
So much for this idea. Hali didn't have a very good game at all.

CupidStunt
11-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Had a good first quarter with plenty of burst and a decent showing against the run.

Terrible following three quarters.

KCJohnny
11-25-2007, 04:09 PM

Hali had a sack but didn't play much contain on the wing. That's probably the scheme more than Hali.

Count Alex's Losses
11-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Hali had a sack but didn't play much contain on the wing. That's probably the scheme more than Hali.

He wasn't beating McQuistan in passing situations. Very disappointing.

Rain Man
11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

I wouldn't say that. He discovered invisibility today!

I like Hali in concept. He's a hyperactive, never-give-up guy. He just needs to learn a few new moves or something, and not crash inside so often.

thehead
11-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Was I the only one who thought J Allen & Hali held all fu#king day long , just watching the Denver game two holding calls in a row , one negated a Bears TD & if thats holding ,we got mugged , not say it would matter two shits to the out come today STFU

Rain Man
11-25-2007, 04:26 PM
The funny/sad non-holding call was the one on Pollard on the first touchdown run. Number 80 of the Raiders held him from the back so bad that I think he ripped both sleeves off of Pollard's jersey. After the play, Pollard was walking around with his shoulder pads exposed on both arms.

Ugly Duck
11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Football Acumen: Ugly Duck vs GoatCheese pregame predictions

GoatCheese - "I think it will be a blowout. 24-3 Chiefs"
Ugly Duck - "I think it will be a blowout.... 23-19 Oakland"
Truth: 20-17 Oakland

GoatCheese - "I'm talking about 3 sacks for Hali alone. He's going to beat Paul McQuistan like the red-headed stepchild he is tomorrow"
Truth: Entire Chiefs team didn't total 3 sacks

Ugly Duck: "Betcha Kolby'll end up with a buck fifty"
Truth: Kolby runs for 150

GoatCheese: "Our defense is going to dominate tomorrow."
Truth: Not

the Talking Can
11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I didn't see the game, but I tuned in for the last few minutes.

Lenny said (I'm paraphrasing): "Whenever they need yards, who do they run at? (pause, then answers own question) Tamba Hali"

the Talking Can
11-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Football Acumen: Ugly Duck vs GoatCheese pregame predictions

GoatCheese - "I think it will be a blowout. 24-3 Chiefs"
Ugly Duck - "I think it will be a blowout.... 23-19 Oakland"
Truth: 20-17 Oakland

GoatCheese - "I'm talking about 3 sacks for Hali alone. He's going to beat Paul McQuistan like the red-headed stepchild he is tomorrow"
Truth: Entire Chiefs team didn't total 3 sacks

Ugly Duck: "Betcha Kolby'll end up with a buck fifty"
Truth: Kolby runs for 150

GoatCheese: "Our defense is going to dominate tomorrow."
Truth: Not

goatse is a fanboy, no one listens to him...

R8RFAN
11-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I think they are waiting for you at www.raiderskickass.com gocheeze

Ugly Duck
11-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I think they are waiting for you at www.raiderskickass.com gocheeze

Also waiting at RaiderFans.net:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/118166-we-will-not-lose-chiefs-week.html

Ugly Duck
11-25-2007, 04:47 PM
goatse is a fanboy, no one listens to him...

Well then how come he's so well represented here on the Planet?

the Talking Can
11-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Well then how come he's so well represented here on the Planet?

because anyone is free to post as much as they want...if we blocked everyone who was as dumb as him there wouldn't be a board....