PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone do Black Friday?

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:15 PM
The rest of my family was going to walmart at 4:30 so I asked them to wake me up the night before, and they forgot.

Woke up at 7, rushed to Circuit City to try and buy a wii game (I didnt own a wii yet, but was planning on getting one), they didn't have it.

Went over to gamestop, stood in line for about an hour and a half, got the last of the 21 Wii's they had on hand today. Also bought a couple games.

This was a lot better than last year when I spent the night at Best Buy and they ran out of the item I wanted the person right before me.

L.A. Chieffan
11-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Is this a....what day is this?

Guru
11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
If you were looking for Super Mario Galaxy at CC, you can get it online at that price too.

Scorp
11-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I went out at 9 a.m. this morning. I was back home at 9:11 a.m. Those people are nuts!

BWillie
11-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I went out at 9 a.m. this morning. I was back home at 9:11 a.m. Those people are nuts!

There was a Kohls by my parents house that opened at 4 AM. My buddy that works at Best Buy had to be at work at 2:30 AM. This is getting ridiculous. People are retarded.

I do my shopping on December 23rd. I go to Victoria Secrets, Cabelas, Outback,..whatever. Just get gift cards. BAM. Christmas shopping completed in 1 hour.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:20 PM
If you were looking for Super Mario Galaxy at CC, you can get it online at that price too.

When I went on CC.com, it said this item not available online, only in stores. I bought it at Gamestop anyways. I also bought Zelda, I hope its good.

L.A. Chieffan
11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
When I went on CC.com, it said this item not available online, only in stores. I bought it at Gamestop anyways. I also bought Zelda, I hope its good.
What was the price? I got it, it's pretty cool I can't pry my kids away long enough so I can play

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
I was gonna, but that stupid LCD at Circuit City had a rebate.

Then I look at the Fry's ad this morning and they had the same monitor without a rebate, but they were all gone when I called the store.

Guess I'll wait for my 24" LCD.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:24 PM
What was the price? I got it, it's pretty cool I can't pry my kids away long enough so I can play

$49...Bummer it wasnt on sale. However, it is the sole reason why I bought a Wii today.

Plus I never had my own video game system, I always had to play my brother's.

L.A. Chieffan
11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
$49...Bummer it wasnt on sale. However, it is the sole reason why I bought a Wii today.

Zeldas cool too it took me a while to beat it. Get Resident Evil 4. Best 29.99 you'll spend on a game.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Zeldas cool too it took me a while to beat it. Get Resident Evil 4. Best 29.99 you'll spend on a game.

Alright cool, any other suggestions for games would be good too.

Only game I ever played on wii before I bought it was Sports, and its meh.

Actually I played Mario Soccer once with my friends and it was pretty fun, but it seemed like a game in which you need more than one player to have fun.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
This Black Friday thing is getting out of hand. Its official. We are the most superficial society of all time.

No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:30 PM
This Black Friday thing is getting out of hand. Its official. We are the most superficial society of all time.

Yeah all the people getting in my way when I want to go shopping, they are d-bags.

Guru
11-23-2007, 02:31 PM

I was able to get it online on Thursday for $34.99

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I was able to get it online on Thursday for $34.99
Thats f'd up. I went on there last night around 11 pm, and it said not available for online purchase.

Oh well. At least I am playing it now and dont have to wait 5 days.

BWillie
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
You can get 99% of these advertised deals over the internet if you look, instead of standing in a line in the cold at 4 AM in the morning. I rarely buy anything from retail stores anymore.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:35 PM
You can get 99% of these advertised deals over the internet if you look, instead of standing in a line in the cold at 4 AM in the morning. I rarely buy anything from retail stores anymore.

I worked at a company called RedEnvelope, where people could order stuff online, or over the phone...

www.redenvelope.com if you want to check it out.

Anyway, I had access to every single person's Credit Card that ever ordered anything from the company. If I wasn't such a trustworthy guy, I would have copied down all the Numbers, Exp. Dates, Security Codes, Billing Addresses, etc.

Let me just say that if you think its not worth getting up early 1 day a year, you are wrong.

stumppy
11-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Got up at 1:00 AM. Drove the 37 miles to Best Buy. Waited in line with about 300 people in front of me freezing my ass off. 2 1/2 hours later they are out of all 3 of the different items I went for. I made it home about 5:00 AM. Empty handed.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Got up at 1:00 AM. Drove the 37 miles to Best Buy. Waited in line with about 300 people in front of me freezing my ass off. 2 1/2 hours later they are out of all 3 of the different items I went for. I made it home about 5:00 AM. Empty handed.

Man that sucks...I bet you that all 3 items are on eBay today in mass quantities.

Buck
I guess thats what virtual credit card #s are for.

Virtual Credit Cards?

Bwana
Yeah, no doubt. I went over to the local mall to try to get a "Birthday" gift for my brother about 10:30. It took me 30 minutes to get over the mall, normally about a 5 minute drive. Once I got in the Mall parking lot, there was no place to park. Some old hide came rolling around the corner at a pace that would of make Jeff Gordon blush and just about took out my car and has the balls to flip me the bird. :hmmm: Umm? Sweet cheeks, I'm the one sitting here at the stop sign, you're the one doing 35 around a blind corner. At that point in time, I decided If I had to pay an extra $30 or $35 for the item in a week, it was worth it, all I wanted was to get the hell out of there. That took another 40 minutes just to get the hell out of the lot. I will NOT be leaving the house again today unless it catches on fire.
:shake:

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, no doubt. I went over to the local mall to try to get a "Birthday" gift for my brother about 10:30. It took me 30 minutes to get over the mall, normally about a 5 minute drive. Once I got in the Mall parking lot, there was no place to park. "Some old hide" came rolling like around the corner at a pace that would of make Jeff Gordon blush and just about took out my car and has the balls to flip me the bird. :hmmm: Umm? Sweet cheeks, I'm the one sitting here at the stop sign, you're the one doing 35 around a blind corner. At that point in time, I decided If I had to pay an extra $30 or $35 for the item in a week, it was worth it, all I wanted was to get the hell out of there. That took another 40 minutes just to get the hell out of the lot. I will NOT be leaving the house again today unless it catches on fire.

"Some old hide"
ROFL ROFL classic stuff

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree, the black friday deals are not as good this year.

I always check out fat wallet or slickdeals.net for online stuff or bfads.net

cdcox
11-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, no doubt. I went over to the local mall to try to get a "Birthday" gift for my brother about 10:30. It took me 30 minutes to get over the mall, normally about a 5 minute drive. Once I got in the Mall parking lot, there was no place to park. Some old hide came rolling like around the corner at a pace that would of make Jeff Gordon blush and just about took out my car and has the balls to flip me the bird. :hmmm: Umm? Sweet cheeks, I'm the one sitting here at the stop sign, you're the one doing 35 around a blind corner. At that point in time, I decided If I had to pay an extra $30 or $35 for the item in a week, it was worth it, all I wanted was to get the hell out of there. That took another 40 minutes just to get the hell out of the lot. I will NOT be leaving the house again today unless it catches on fire.

Yeah, I spent 45 minutes getting out the mall parking lot on a Saturday near Christmas several years ago. Never again. A weeknight around 6:00 works fine.

Deberg_1990
At that point in time, I decided If I had to pay an extra $30 or $35 for the item in a week, it was worth it

Agreed. I decided this a few years ago. Its just not worth it to me anymore to deal with the Black Friday madness.

Bwana

Last nights low was 6 degrees with a wind chill of -15. One of the local news stations did a live story on the 10 PM news last night about all the people waiting in line at Best Buy. I don't know how it is around there, but this local store only had FOUR of each of the items at the lost leader price. There were already about 150 in line. My only thought was, math is not the strong suit of most of these poor clowns.

NUMBER7
Official Black Friday website link:

http://bfads.net/

Bwana
11-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I spent 45 minutes getting out the mall parking lot on a Saturday near Christmas several years ago. Never again. A weeknight around 6:00 works fine.

Truer words have never been spoken!

stumppy
11-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Man that sucks...I bet you that all 3 items are on eBay today in mass quantities.

They are, and most of them have the "Buy it now" price listed at about double what BB sold them for.
Eh...WTH, I took a shot.

Guru
11-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I worked at a company called RedEnvelope, where people could order stuff online, or over the phone...

www.redenvelope.com if you want to check it out.

Anyway, I had access to every single person's Credit Card that ever ordered anything from the company. If I wasn't such a trustworthy guy, I would have copied down all the Numbers, Exp. Dates, Security Codes, Billing Addresses, etc.

Let me just say that if you think its not worth getting up early 1 day a year, you are wrong.

Nope, you are wrong. If I can't get a good deal online, I will NOT deal with the crowds. That is just asinine..

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Nope, you are wrong. If I can't get a good deal online, I will NOT deal with the crowds. That is just asinine..

Well I am wrong. If you buy something from a huge site like Amazon, or use Paypal, I'm pretty sure you are good.

Just an FYI though, a lot of people may have access to your CC# if you have ordered online.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 02:49 PM
They are, and most of them have the "Buy it now" price listed at about double what BB sold them for.
Eh...WTH, I took a shot.

Sometimes I really hate that effin" place
:banghead: :banghead:

unless I can win the auction for a decent price.

jjchieffan
11-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Best Buy is the biggest joke on the planet as far as black friday sales go. They run out of the best deals within 5 minutes of opening every year. F that place. I tried them a couple of times. Never again. I wont buy anything from them any time of year because of that. If a place has a 5-11 sale, then they should have enough stock to last until 11. If they run out, they should offer rainchecks. If they want to do business like Best Buy, them I will be d*mned if they will get my business.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Well I am wrong. If you buy something from a huge site like Amazon, or use Paypal, I'm pretty sure you are good.

Just an FYI though, a lot of people may have access to your CC# if you have ordered online.
What people, all the sites I get on are SSL secured unless there is something i dont know about? I have access to a ton of info here, doesn't mean im going to be an ass and use it.

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes. Woke up at 4:45am to go to Office Depot. Was #8 in line and they gave out all the papers for the product I wanted before they go to me. I left and drove to another office depot and got there right where they opened and got my tv no problem. :)

http://www.olevia.com/products/images/242T%20FHD_large.jpg

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 02:57 PM
If a place has a 5-11 sale, then they should have enough stock to last until 11. If they run out, they should offer rainchecks.

Im fairly sure almost every retailer is like that. They also use these 5-11am deals just to lure people into the door, because they know most people will end up buying more than just the stuff on sale.
Accessories, storage devices, DVD's, CD's, books, etc....

The retailer always wins.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:58 PM
What people, all the sites I get on are SSL secured unless there is something i dont know about? I have access to a ton of info here, doesn't mean im going to be an ass and use it.

Most people aren't asses, but all it takes is one jerkoff to work at a certain place that stores CC#s in a database, and you get your identity ripped off.

Buck
11-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Offered to holders of Citi, Discover and MBNA cards, these "virtual credit cards," or single-use card numbers, are designed to give some peace of mind to consumers concerned about credit card fraud. Although the system slightly differs on each card, the principle is the same: For no extra charge, consumers sign up at the credit card's Web site, often downloading software on their computers. Then, when they're ready to shop, they receive a randomly generated substitute 16-digit number that they can use at the online store. The number can be used once or, in some cases, repeatedly at the same store. "The only people who know the real number are you and us," said Jim Donahue, spokesman for MBNA. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/30/AR2005093001679.html

That is freaking Genius!!!

88TG88
11-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I stopped by CC and it smelled like dirty armpits.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I worked in retail for 3 years in college. I'm fully convinced that the people who wait outside in those lines are the scum of the earth.

The worst are the doorbuster computers that barely have enough horsepower to run the OS and people expect to be able to play Crysis or Bioshock on them. Dipf*cks. :shake:

Demonpenz
11-23-2007, 03:15 PM
this will probably be my last year shopping this day. I sat through my annoying realatives all day yesterday but the good thing is my grandma gave me a giftcard. So i set sail today to get 2 mp3 players. One for work and one for the gym (i just want to keep it in my locker there) So I am driving out there everyone is driving slow as molasas in wintertime. I had to drive on the wrong side of the road just to pass some of these dumb ****s. They probably got the middle finger. So i get there and i am waiting in line to get a cart and this old lady (who shouldn't be out on a day like today) Is having trouble seperating the carts. So i tell her to move and i seperate the carts for her. She says thank you and asks me where the produce is. So pissed off from her taking her sweet time seperating the carts I point her to the wrong direction and if I wasn't so hungover from lasts nights kegger I would have laughed as she shuffled slowly away (Why do those ****s have tennis balls on their walkers?) oh well. So then I get the mp3 players sprint back to line yay There are a bunch of crying baby's Now i know baby's sometimes get grouchy but i figured you atleast should move out of the line and take them outside or shake them or something from bothering other people in line. After what seems like forever I jump on my cell phone to see whats going on with my friends and do some txts. I get up in line talking to one of my friends and i notice i think the mp3 players wrang up to much. The cashier said no it was right. So asked to see a manager and he points out that I am wrong. I told him I don't like his tone and will never shop here again. they hand me my sack and tell me happy holidays. I told the **** off under my breath loud enough to hear it and threw my receipt on the ground and couldn't get out of that parking lot fast enough. People drive me insane what idiots

Guru
11-23-2007, 03:29 PM
this will probably be my last year shopping this day. I sat through my annoying realatives all day yesterday but the good thing is my grandma gave me a giftcard. So i set sail today to get 2 mp3 players. One for work and one for the gym (i just want to keep it in my locker there) So I am driving out there everyone is driving slow as molasas in wintertime. I had to drive on the wrong side of the road just to pass some of these dumb ****s. They probably got the middle finger. So i get there and i am waiting in line to get a cart and this old lady (who shouldn't be out on a day like today) Is having trouble seperating the carts. So i tell her to move and i seperate the carts for her. She says thank you and asks me where the produce is. So pissed off from her taking her sweet time seperating the carts I point her to the wrong direction and if I wasn't so hungover from lasts nights kegger I would have laughed as she shuffled slowly away (Why do those ****s have tennis balls on their walkers?) oh well. So then I get the mp3 players sprint back to line yay There are a bunch of crying baby's Now i know baby's sometimes get grouchy but i figured you atleast should move out of the line and take them outside or shake them or something from bothering other people in line. After what seems like forever I jump on my cell phone to see whats going on with my friends and do some txts. I get up in line talking to one of my friends and i notice i think the mp3 players wrang up to much. The cashier said no it was right. So asked to see a manager and he points out that I am wrong. I told him I don't like his tone and will never shop here again. they hand me my sack and tell me happy holidays. I told the **** off under my breath loud enough to hear it and threw my receipt on the ground and couldn't get out of that parking lot fast enough. People drive me insane what idiots

Man, if they screwed up the price I would have fought them tooth and nail until it was right or until they could give a valid explanation for the discrepancy.

when it comes to money, I don't give up.

eazyb81
11-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Exactly why I don't participate in this shit.

My time is more valuable than the few bucks you may or may not save.

Demonpenz
11-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Man, if they screwed up the price I would have fought them tooth and nail until it was right or until they could give a valid explanation for the discrepancy.

when it comes to money, I don't give up.

oh well it gave me a reason not to give any those rat bell ringers :evil:

Deberg_1990
11-23-2007, 03:56 PM
People drive me insane what idiots

If you hate dealing with other members of society so much, why are you out on a day like today??

RJ
11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
No way in hell I'm going shopping at 5 AM on any day. WTF could be that enticing? When I see the news clips of these people lined up at the retailer's doors I am reminded of lab rats.

"Oh boy, some crap I don't need is heavily discounted for a brief time! I'll do anything for heavily discounted crap!!" They remind me of game show contestants.

stumppy
11-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I worked in retail for 3 years in college. I'm fully convinced that the people who wait outside in those lines are the scum of the earth.

The worst are the doorbuster computers that barely have enough horsepower to run the OS and people expect to be able to play Crysis or Bioshock on them. Dipf*cks. :shake:

Didn't realize trying to save some money put me in the catergory of scum of the earth.

How about instead of blessing all of us with your learned opinion you just suck my c@ck instead. Twunt

Skip Towne
11-23-2007, 04:33 PM

Even I hate us.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I bought a 46" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD television today. Regular price was $2699 - Black Friday price was $1299.99.

I didn't wait in a line, I just took the online CC ad to Sears, who price matched it. It took about 10 minutes and I didn't do it until 11am.

Definitely a great deal!

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh hell no.

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Definitely a great deal!Wow, that is good.

Days like this I hate being dirt poor.

Cntrygal
11-23-2007, 06:38 PM
hell no.

Spott
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Hell no. Some of us actually had to work today. :cuss:

Skip Towne
11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
They just showed a bunch of 4 AM shoppers. The look like Wal-Martians retarts. Where do those people come from anyhow?

Cochise
I don't know what Best Buy was selling, but I saw people who had tents set up outside there yesterday at 3:00 PM. :shake:

Cochise
They just showed a bunch of 4 AM shoppers. The look like Wal-Martians retarts. Where do those people come from anyhow?

You have to get up early in the morning to get your antiquated chinese DVD player for $30

kcchiefsus
11-23-2007, 07:09 PM
there really werent that many good deals this yr.

The best deal I saw was online at Staples
22'' LCd monitor for around $120 AR, AD.
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&splCatType=1&catalogId=10051&productId=200418&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG4

I saw a Compaq Presario laptop on sale at circuit city for $299.00 and at Nebraska Furniture Mart for $249.99. I waited in line at Circuit City for 2 hours but I still wasn't early enough. Oh well. I guess freezing my ass off out there just prepared me to freeze my ass off on Sunday at Arrowhead.

RJ
11-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I suppose if there was an item that I really, really wanted or needed but simply could not afford and the price of that item was reduced to an amount I could afford for a small window of time I would put up with the sorts of abuse described here. But just to save a few bucks on something I don't really need? I don't get it.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2007, 07:18 PM
you lucked/smarted out.

Most of the "deals" at any store have unique serial#s and thus cant be pricematched to other stores because they will say its a "diffrent" item.

Thats why its really hard to PM BF deals.

I've done enough business with Sears over the years to understand their policies, though I did verify their price match policy online before heading over to the the store. Once I'd done that, I knew that it would be an easily done deal.

I'd been waiting for the right deal on a 46" Aquos and fortunately, I found it.

mdstu
11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
With no family in Chicago to celebrate with, we decided to sleep in yesterday then went out to eat around 3 o'clock. On our way home at 5pm we drove by a Best Buy. Five people in line already at 5PM! That was the moment I realized I will never shop on Black Friday. These twits sat in the freezing cold for 12 hours so they could save a $100 dollars on a crappy computer.

I buy all my clothes on clearance and wait for sales on all important purchases, but you have got to draw the line somewhere.

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2007, 07:51 PM
But just to save a few bucks on something I don't really need? I don't get it.

I saved $500 on a TV by waking up at 4:45am for a 6am opening. Well worth it, IMO!

Mr_Raider
11-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Naw, I just stay at home and chill the F out. I aint goin to stress out over this silliness. Like the dude said, people are nuts.

phisherman
11-23-2007, 08:38 PM
got the orange box at best buy for $25 at around 1:00 PM

took me about a half hour to get from the indep amc 20 to the target on the other side of 291

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
11-23-2007, 08:44 PM
The people at the Target in Chandler, Arizona that decided to line jump at 6am when the doors opened are asswholes.

Finding Guitar Hero III for the Wii proved to be a challenge but I got one...

Pitt Gorilla
11-23-2007, 08:47 PM
No. I like sleep.

Guru
11-23-2007, 08:48 PM
You are all nuts.

Raiderz_00
11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I was up at 3:30 this morning because my 2 year old had to have this princess table and chair set.... I went to toys-r-us and got pushed by a 350 lbs fat man, kicked in the shin (on purpose) by a 6 year old and last but, not least I got my shooping cart stolen after I looked away for two minutes lol Man, people are a trip. Anyway got the Table and chairs for my daughter and even some other things. Oh yeah I found my shopping cart gutted about 10 minutes later (I only had two items in there but, it was the principal ya know?)

blueballs
11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Strangers in the night exchanging glances
Wond'ring in the night what were the chances
We'd be sharing love before the night was through

Something in your eyes was so inviting
Something in you smile was so exciting
Something in my heart told me I must have you

Strangers in the night
Two lonely people, we were strangers in the night
Up to the moment when we said our first hello little did we know
Love was just a glance away, a warm embracing dance away

and

Ever since that night we've been together
Lovers at first sight, in love forever
It turned out so right for strangers in the night

Love was just a glance away, a warm embracing dance away

Ever since that night we've been together
Lovers at first sight, in love forever
It turned out so right for strangers in the night

Easy 6
11-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I would rather eat a dookie sammich with rotten mayo, than go out amidst all of that ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS MADNESS.

RJ
11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I was up at 3:30 this morning because my 2 year old had to have this princess table and chair set.... I went to toys-r-us and got pushed by a 350 lbs fat man, kicked in the shin (on purpose) by a 6 year old and last but, not least I got my shooping cart stolen after I looked away for two minutes lol Man, people are a trip. Anyway got the Table and chairs for my daughter and even some other things. Oh yeah I found my shopping cart gutted about 10 minutes later (I only had two items in there but, it was the principal ya know?)

Dude, I bought my daughter a princess table and chair set. I got it one day back in in April at about 3:00 in the afternoon. I just walked in and picked it out and paid for it.

But hey, I gotta admit your story is more interesting. :)

gblowfish
11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
NO FREAKIN WAY....

I stayed in the man cave and watched football...ALL DAY!

Deleware Blue Hens
LSU-Ark
Texas-Texas A&M
even Missouri HS football championships.

What a fun day.

And I bought NADA!!!!

barry_smilez20
11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
i did the same stayed in my man cave and played with myself alot

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Didn't realize trying to save some money put me in the catergory of scum of the earth.

How about instead of blessing all of us with your learned opinion you just suck my c@ck instead. Twunt

How's this. Had a roomie who worked at a BB. People lined up outside for FOUR DAYS for the Wii last year. They had 2500 people in line outside the store looking for 250-400 dollar laptops that will shit out in about six months.

Plus, you regularly have fistfights over shitty items like monitors, stereos, or dumbass cabbage patch kids.

I stand by my prior statement, and laugh at your worthless ass as you freeze your balls off for 12 hours to get something you'll find on eBay for 100 extra bucks in 2 days.

The Rick
11-24-2007, 12:33 AM
I was standing outside of Sam's Club at 4:30 this morning with about 20 people in front of me. I'm OK with it though because I scored a 42" Sharp AQUOS 720p for $866.

Deberg_1990
11-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Our economy runs on consumer spending, and the retail industry has consumers now trained and conditioned to eagerly throw their money away on depreciable assets.

For many, waiting in line in the cold, pushing and shoving for luke-warm deals is as great a stimulus as the flashing lights and sounds at a casino. And retailers dont even have to get you drunk to do that...unlike in Vegas.

You just hit the nail on the head.

It makes you wonder, what did people do with their disposable income before XBox's, Cellphones, IPOD's, Internet and 300 channels of HDTV??

Jenson71
11-24-2007, 02:10 AM
I went to Best Buy today at noon. Bought the first three seasons of The Wire and the first five seasons of The Sopranos. I didn't have to wait in any line. I guess the crowd beat me.

Quiet Storm
11-24-2007, 02:17 AM
It isnt even the biggest shopping day of the year. It just has the most traffic. There are plenty of "deals" to be had in Dec.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/shopping.asp

Valiant
11-24-2007, 03:18 AM
It isnt even the biggest shopping day of the year. It just has the most traffic. There are plenty of "deals" to be had in Dec.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/shopping.asp

I guess if you count all types of shops that would be true.. This was the first black friday I did not have to work in almost ten years, and I know from our budgets BF is the biggest shopping day for electronic retailers..

Old Dog
11-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I was in line at 10pm on Thursday for a 1201 Friday at the PX (no state taxes there either)and got the 42" Aquos for $720. It's normally around $1500, so I'm happy with losing an hour or two of sleep (was out of the store by 1230 and home by 0130) for it.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
11-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Strippers, blow, scotch and safe investments.

Ah....the good ol days.

It makes you wonder, what did people do with their disposable income before XBox's, Cellphones, IPOD's, Internet and 300 channels of HDTV??

Lzen
11-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Depends? Does she look anything like Halle Barry? :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-24-2007, 10:36 AM

Read "American Psycho".

Stewie
11-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I did Black Friday once about five years ago. I went to Best Buy and the line was clear around the building (500 people, at least). I'm not sure what the people at the end of the line thought they were going to get. I just left.

Yesterday I did make a trek for a small Black Friday deal. Ink Stop had 2 GB SD cards for $9.99. I knew they'd have a bunch since it's a new store and the ad said a minimum of 80 per store. No line, no problem.

stumppy
11-24-2007, 10:51 AM
How's this. Had a roomie who worked at a BB. People lined up outside for FOUR DAYS for the Wii last year. They had 2500 people in line outside the store looking for 250-400 dollar laptops that will shit out in about six months.

Plus, you regularly have fistfights over shitty items like monitors, stereos, or dumbass cabbage patch kids.

I stand by my prior statement, and laugh at your worthless ass as you freeze your balls off for 12 hours to get something you'll find on eBay for 100 extra bucks in 2 days.

Keep running your mouth dipsquat. It just shows how little you know.

I stand by my prior statement, suck my c@ck. Twunt.

Bump
11-24-2007, 02:04 PM
unless it's some amazing deal I don't see the point of saving a few $$$$ by going through that hassle.

ChiefaRoo
11-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Don't blame me. I wouldn't participate in that moron fools gold rush if I got paid.

a1na2
11-24-2007, 02:24 PM
No. I hate crowds.

stumppy
11-24-2007, 04:49 PM
unless it's some amazing deal I don't see the point of saving a few $$$$ by going through that hassle.

Actually, I normally wouldn't bother either. I got up early becuase I would have saved a little over $1500.00 on the two things I went for.
For that much money I'll get up early and spend a few hours in line.

Buehler445
11-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Actually, I normally wouldn't bother either. I got up early becuase I would have saved a little over $1500.00 on the two things I went for.
For that much money I'll get up early and spend a few hours in line.

What did you get if you don't mind me asking?

ChiefsLV
11-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I bought a 46" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD television today. Regular price was $2699 - Black Friday price was $1299.99.

I didn't wait in a line, I just took the online CC ad to Sears, who price matched it. It took about 10 minutes and I didn't do it until 11am.

Definitely a great deal!

How much did you save on that 46" Sharp TV again? Still a deal for a local purchase but the regular price listed was waaaaaaaaaay inflated.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2604784&SRCCODE=WEBGPROD

DaneMcCloud
11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
How much did you save on that 46" Sharp TV again? Still a deal for a local purchase but the regular price listed was waaaaaaaaaay inflated.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2604784&SRCCODE=WEBGPROD

That's not the same model. I bought the Sharp Aquos LC46D64U 46" 1080p LCD HDTV which retails for $2500-$2600 (depending on the retailer).

stumppy
11-24-2007, 08:21 PM
What did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Nothing. They were sold out before it was my turn.
Can't say what I was going to get because one of them was for lil stumppy. And if I know him he's been checking out the planet to see if I make mention of his x-mas presents.:D

Valiant
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
That's not the same model. I bought the Sharp Aquos LC46D64U 46" 1080p LCD HDTV which retails for $2500-$2600 (depending on the retailer).

Amazon has a ton of different places that sell it for 1500-1800 new..

Baby Lee
11-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Look what you've gone and done (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/11/28/notes112807.DTL)

Delano
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I got the laptop I am currently typing on and a duplicate for my cousin who will be enrolling in college next fall.

I purchased a portable GPS and digital photo frame for my mom.

I stood in line at Staples with my wife for about four hours, but I got two of twenty laptops that were sorely needed. The GPS and frame were a bonus.

I also went to Lowe's and picked up a Shop Vac/electric leaf blower and a 4' werner fiberglass ladder for dirt cheap. 3D LED Mag Lites were 9.95 at Lowes so I grabbed a few of those for my father and grandfather.

All in all, the Staples deal was five hours of waiting, but we got out of the store in ten minutes. Not too bad.

L.A. Chieffan
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
That guy thinks he's Hunter S. or something

Fruit Ninja
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
My Laptop from Dell has not came yet :( I would imagine its going to be a little bit before i get it.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Amazon has a ton of different places that sell it for 1500-1800 new..

Not that week, plus they charge shipping and sales tax to California.

I'm very happy that I paid $1299 ($1407 with tax). :)