PDA

View Full Version : First round draft picks & the sophomore slump

Wile_E_Coyote
11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
The Chiefs have done an excellent job in the first round, 4 out the last 5 drafts. When compared to prior 1st round disappointments
2003 - LJ
2004 - traded out of the first round, Savii top of second
2005 - DJ
2006 - Hali
2007 - Bowe

LJ didn't have a sophomore slump because he didn't play for 2 years
Savii never had anything
DJ was not as effective in his 2nd season, this year he has been a beast
Hali is slowed down in his second year with injuries

Bowe has been nothing but great. So the wear & tear of a 16 game season could slow him down a bit for next season. But then again most don't see WRs as being effective for a couple of years.

Is this normal across the board for draft picks?

Mecca
11-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Depends on numerous things really, position, team, upside of a player. Or if a guy happened to have his best year his rookie year..

I don't like the term "Sophomore slump" to be honest.

Demonpenz
11-24-2007, 11:46 AM
It will be interesting to see if dewayne jarrett's production falls off next year

Wile_E_Coyote
11-24-2007, 11:47 AM
DJ & Hali are examples that the sophomore slump could exist. I think it refers to players having to play 16+ games against superior competition & their bodies needing to adjust

Mecca
11-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll use 2 Chiefs as an example........Hali isn't having as good of a year.....I don't expect Bowe to really drop off unless the Chiefs pass even less next year.

Difference in the 2.....Bowe does have a much higher ceiling than Hali does.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Bowe shouldn't take the pounding that Hali does & Bowe is a big WR

Mecca
11-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Bowe shouldn't take the pounding that Hali does & Bowe is a big WR

That plays in some, I do think some people were expecting to much from Hali as to what he'd develop into. If you believe scouts and reports he probably even at his best won't be a whole lot better than he was last year.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I wasn't expecting DJ like third year results. Injuries have left Hali ghost like

Mecca
11-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I wasn't expecting DJ like third year results. Injuries have left Hali ghost like

Ah ok, I was saying don't think he'll end up as Jared Allen. I think Hali can be a 10 sack guy which is a little better than his first year, which makes him a good above average guy.

If people thought he had that sorta upside he'd have gone much earlier.

FAX
My belief is that the sophomore slump may well exist, Mr. Wile_E_Coyote. But, a lot surely depends on changes in scheme, coaching, the team's commitment to player development, and enemy planning.

Assuming we're talking about a potential impact player, in his first year, the player is a relative unknown. Both to the team that aquired him and the bastard enemy. The second year, the player may be asked to do more by his team and the bastard enemies are doing more to nullify his effectiveness.

Perhaps those are factors.

FAX

Demonpenz
hali is a smaller eric hicks

Mecca
11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
hali is a smaller eric hicks

Oh cmon now......even I'm not that negative, that's pretty insulting man.