PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks the afc west...

Joe Seahawk
07-06-2001, 06:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/2001/0705/1222708.html

DaWolf
07-06-2001, 06:21 PM
No surprises from Salisbury Steak.

Actually I don't blame any of these people for ranking us at the bottom. We've got so many players that need to prove themselves that for people who don't follow us closely, they are going to look at us and say "yawn." Holmes, TRich, Green, the DB's, whatever WR we pick up, they all need to prove themselves. IMO we have the talent that if these guys understand the system and have team chemistry, we will surprise these pundits. But until we do, there's no respect coming this way until we make a bunch of sexy FA signings (maybe next year)...

morphius
07-06-2001, 06:32 PM
Without reading it or any comments, can I guess that maybe it might look something like, ohh Chiefs in last place?

hawaiianboy
07-06-2001, 06:40 PM
I have yet to see any writer question the effect of the Donx turning over almost a 3rd of their roster (assumming most of the FA's stick)... They all assume it will be a positive thing... Despite the obvious chemistry angle... I don't foresee some of the players they've picked up to be happy as reserves for a long period of time...

For example both Henri Crockett and Romo have been starters their whole career, neither seems the sit on the sideline and be happy type to me...

And how will Gary and Anderson feel sitting on the pine knowing that no stats means no big dollar contract in a few years?

I hope their whole Portland Trailblazer approach this season blows up in their mugs.....

DaWolf
07-06-2001, 06:50 PM
These guys don't usually think in those terms. They think "how did you do last year, who did you add that I've heard of and seen play, and here's my column, where's my paycheck, off to the golf course."

Perfect example was the 1996 Chiefs. 13-3 the year before, there they were on the cover of SI. Never mind that the previous year they had barely won a lot of close games and the Qb had struggled through the 2nd half of the year, they got picked to go to the Bowl. They didn't capture the same chemistry or get the same bounces, some players' play dropped off, and no playoffs. Or 1998 Chiefs, who added such players like McGlockton and Derrick Alexander, but again chemistry, injuries, and Minnie Mouse drove Marty out of the game.

Washington last year also comes to mind. And Tampa has been a Super Bowl favorite for how long?

We'll see...

keg in kc
07-06-2001, 07:38 PM
The ranking is pretty representative of the consensus, I think.

I'm more prone, however, to be worried about the rankings during and after the season than I am preseason prognostication, regardless of where my particular team is ranked. ;)

I see it as quite possible, if not likely, that all 5 teams will be battling all season long, with the winner not decided until the final week of the season, because I honestly don't see any single team as dominant enough to lead from wire-to-wire.. Injuries will be the key word for our division, I think; the healthiest team will win, in my humble estimation:

Denver 10-6
Oakland 9-7
Kansas City 8-8
Seattle 8-8
San Diego 7-9

Warrior5
07-06-2001, 07:39 PM
I agree with Hawaiianboy's take concerning the Donkeys.

As far as the Chiefs; yeah, whatever. Same thing every "expert" is saying. Yes, I'm a homer (a defensive homer at that!), but I'm pragmatic. No, I don't think we'll contend for the AFC Championship <B>this</B> year, but I'll be laughing my butt off come December when these same "experts" backpedal on their prognostications of the Chiefs being cellar dwellers.

If they turn out correct, then I'll just have crow for Christmas dinner.

splatbass
07-06-2001, 07:59 PM
If I remember correctly, both years we went 13-3 we were picked by the "experts" as being 4th or 5th in the division. I kinda like it when they underestimate us.

KCJohnny
07-06-2001, 08:50 PM
Gee, what's wrong with the rest of the sports world???
Don't they know how much better a ringed staff (DV/AS/GR) is than Gunther and the '3 stooges'?

They MUST be wrong.

Gotta be.

KCJ
:mad:

Cannibal
07-06-2001, 10:48 PM
I for one am not surprised they picked us last and I really don't blame them.

This is a mediocre football team that has been horribly mismanaged for a long time.

Until the Chiefs prove that they are going to build the team the right way they will never have the leagues respect. The Chiefs have 0 chance at a Superbowl and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Build through the draft.

Tough it out for a couple of years.

Manage the cap soundly.

And then bring in a couple of top tier free agents to put you over the top.

Stop giving guys like Chester McGlockton, Elvis Grbac, Carlton Gray, Lew Bush, Ray Crockett [mediocre/sh!tty players] such a large chunk of the fuggin cap. That is what is killing this team.

We're still paying some of those schmucks that aren't even on the team any longer.

KCPHILLY
07-07-2001, 01:49 AM
Until the Chiefs prove that they are going to build the team the right way they will never have the leagues respect. The Chiefs have 0 chance at a Superbowl and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Build through the draft. Tough it out for a couple years.

Just curious, How many of you are ready to lose, GONZO, EDWARDS, TAIT, RILEY and maybe MAZ to FA? There are a number of key players who have contracts to renew in the next few years. Why would they re-sign with a team that is going through a major rebuilding period?

Let's face the facts. We're in the midwest. We don't have the major city media and glamor or the sandy beaches, crashing waves and year 'round sunshine to offer to these guys or their families. Do you think they enjoy the harsh winters?

In today's FA crazy NFL there is very little loyalty especially to a team and city with little to offer outside of the organization.

Rausch
07-07-2001, 02:50 AM
Injuries will be the key word for our division, I think; the healthiest team will win,

I couldn't have said it better myself.....;)

kcred
07-07-2001, 07:19 AM
Regardless of how the Chiefs do, we have an infinitely better coaching staff. As for injuries, the healthiest QB may be the key. Gannon, Griese, Green, Hass and Flutie, not a whole lot behind any of them.

NaptownChief
07-07-2001, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by KCJohnny
Gee, what's wrong with the rest of the sports world???
Don't they know how much better a ringed staff (DV/AS/GR) is than Gunther and the '3 stooges'?

They MUST be wrong.

Gotta be.

KCJ
:mad:

They will know soon enough...

BTW, the opinion of Salisbury holds little water after you read the following comment: "The Chiefs are no longer explosive enough to scare people. "

If he knew anything about our offense he would know that it has never been explosive...

Cannibal
07-07-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by KCPHILLY

Just curious, How many of you are ready to lose, GONZO, EDWARDS, TAIT, RILEY and maybe MAZ to FA? There are a number of key players who have contracts to renew in the next few years. Why would they re-sign with a team that is going through a major rebuilding period?

Let's face the facts. We're in the midwest. We don't have the major city media and glamor or the sandy beaches, crashing waves and year 'round sunshine to offer to these guys or their families. Do you think they enjoy the harsh winters?

In today's FA crazy NFL there is very little loyalty especially to a team and city with little to offer outside of the organization.

It's all about the Benjamin's KCPHILLY. If Carl Peterson would stop using damn near half of our cap on these sh!tty players we'd have enough cash to sign some big time players and retain our own free agents. Those players will resign if the pay day is large enough.

Besides Maz isn't going anywhere. As long as we give him an opportunity to start and a fair contract I think Maz will be happy to stay. He's the type of guy that just wants to play some ball. The only guy you mention that might leave is Gonzo IMO. And that is because Peterson is so stupid that he's going to try and franchise him because he doesn't have the cap space to sign him to an extension. Franchising Gonzo is an insult and Gonzo will play for one year and then leave. He is far and away the best TE in the game and should not have to settle for the average of the top 5 salaries at his position. Peterson should have thought about this a couple of years ago.

milkman
07-07-2001, 11:00 AM
I'm not a fan of CP by any strerch of the imagination, and really don't care to defend him in any way, but the roster cuts made this offseason, while detrimental to the Chiefs this season, gives the Chiefs the cap space to give Gonzo a big payday next season.

TEX
07-07-2001, 11:13 AM
I don't have a problem with the way that ESPN ranked the West. However, if I were ranking them, It would be as follows:

1. Donx - (Deep,well coached, improved defensive personnell, favorable schedule, best QB 3-some in football)

2. Bolts - (Don't laugh...they always had a defense, now they have help on offense. They can surprise especially if they get off to a fast start.

3. Raidas - ( NO TEAM HAS REPEATED as West champs in over a decade, Gannon can only get them so far, Old at key positions, Shot their wad last year)

4. Hawks - (Well coached, no more Kitna, many changes this off season, IF Hassleback goes down, so do they. If he stays healthey, they pass the Raidas.

5. Chiefs - (Many changes, Still no "legit answer at RB, Too many ??? on both sides of the ball, lack of quality depth scares me especially at QB.

For those who take the stand that the media "always picks the Chiefs to finish poorly"... and in spite of that the Chiefs do well - don't look now but they have been correct 3 of the past 4 years. I also think they'll be on target this year. :confused:

KCPHILLY
07-07-2001, 04:39 PM
It's all about the Benjamin's KCPHILLY. If Carl Peterson would stop using damn near half of our cap on these sh!tty players we'd have enough cash to sign some big time players and retain our own free agents. Those players will resign if the pay day is large enough.

In most cases I'd say that's true, but IMO GONZO wants to play for a team that has a shot at the trophy more than anything. There will be plenty of teams willing to throw Fort Knox at him to get him to move. I don't see him signing long term with us if he sees us in a major rebuilding mode.

No way does CP franchise GONZO. He knows he will recieve top WR money and we do have the cap space to do it. I think we would see a good old fashioned linchin' if he tried... Even CARL's not that stupid.

I agree on MAZ. He knows the starting spot at MLB is his next year when PATTON retires and probably wouldn't be guaranteed that anywhere else.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-07-2001, 06:17 PM
Wuch yall wanna do...wanna be ballas, shotcallers, brawlers...be dippin in the Benz with the sprawlers...:D

CG

sorry...awww, the good ol days;)

Cannibal
07-08-2001, 11:50 AM
Gonzo is the type of player [future Hall of Famer] that should stay with the same team his entire career. IMO Gonzo knows this and would probably prefer to stay a Chief. However, he will not let that get in the way of what is fair market value for a contract. Peterson will franchise Gonzo, you just watch. And if he doen't, he'll come short with the money it will take to resign him and then he'll blame it Gonzo. "Sorry Chiefs fans, we just couldn't pay that high a contract. Our cap situation wouldn't allow it."

[Even though he's known how great a player Gonzo is for the last two years, and known that he would have to resign him after this season]

FloridaChief
07-08-2001, 11:58 AM
Cannibal:

"And Peterson will franchise Gonzo you just watch. And if he doen't he'll come short with the money it will take to resign him and then he'll blame it Gonzo."

I disagree with you on this one.

CP will show Gonzo the money...probably the average salary of the top 10 WRs in the League come contract-signing time. He knows what he has in Tony...

I think that the cap-clearing actions of this off-season show he is serious about having room to re-signing Gonzo to a big-time payday when the time comes.

Otherwise, he would be the biggest idiot on the planet...and I mean planet Earth...

Cannibal
07-08-2001, 11:59 AM
We'll see.

I'll be surprised if it happens though.

KCTitus
07-09-2001, 08:36 AM
just an fyi in all this Gonzo hand wringing, he's under contract through the 02-03 season. No need to panic.

It will be nice to get him a new contract before the end of that season and it's possible. With the cuts made this year, KC has saved 7M against next years cap.

Cormac
07-09-2001, 08:41 AM
Titus,

I wonder though if the last year of his contract is voidable??? I am pretty sure I've heard he'll be up for re-negotiation next offseason. If there were any incentives to be reached to bring about a voidable final year, I am sure he has made them.......anybody know this?? I am in favor of Carl just tearing up that last year anyway, and offering him a new deal if it tips the balance in our favor.

kcred
07-09-2001, 08:50 AM
I believe the last year is voidable, only in the fact, he may become a RFA. If we do not resign him, we make him the maximum allowable offer, something over a mil, and then would receive two first rounders for him. I think the goal would be to resign him after this season to a 5 or 6 yr deal, and forget about playing around. CP could franchise him after 02, but having an unhappy Gonzo might not be the best thing to do. Though Shields still went to the Pro Bowl last year and he was the franchise player.

KCTitus
07-09-2001, 08:56 AM
Ok, lets go ahead and assume that the last year is voidable and he becomes a UFA next off season. Franchising him does NOT protect him in any way.

I can think of a few teams that would be willing to sacrifice a couple of 1's for his services.

With the money that has been saved by making the cuts this year that were made, one has to think that CP has Gonzo in mind next year.

Clint in Wichita
07-09-2001, 08:56 AM
After THIS season, his contract is up. If he were under contract through the '03 season, his original deal would've been 7 years, and that's not the case.

Carl will either show him the money after this season, or he won't be back for the '02 season.

KCTitus
07-09-2001, 08:57 AM
Try this link, Clint:

http://www.nflpa.org/members/playerProfile.asp?ID=25050

Clint in Wichita
07-09-2001, 09:31 AM
I guess he'll be a RFA, but some team will gladly give up 2 firsts for him, and KC would still get screwed.

I just hope CP does the right thing in this situation.

Cormac
07-09-2001, 10:11 AM
I agree that CP is looking ahead to Gonzo's contract when making these cuts this season. He should be run out of KC if he can't re-sign him. Gonzo is worth more than 2 1st rounders to us IMO assuming he wants to be here.

TEX
07-09-2001, 10:26 AM
IMHO, Carl WILL show Gonzo the money. Carl traded up to get him in the first place. He represents a "brilliant" draft day move. Look, Carl took care of D.T., giving him a huge contract and let Neil go. He'll do the same for Gonzo and he's already made some room by cutting players this year. :cool: