PDA

View Full Version : Nfbt...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2001, 09:17 PM
As a college student, I have ate my fair share of pizza. I like all pizza, but the one that I would chose first, would be Breadeaux Pizza. That pizza kicks a$$!!!! It don't matter what the toppings are, I like all pizza that comes from that joint (not all, but most er you know what I mean).

What is everyones favorite pizza joint, and what toppings does everyone like, etc....

CG

sorry, I'm taking a study break and I'm hungry, just thought I'd bring up food since nuttin else is goin on:D

Logical
07-08-2001, 09:23 PM
Cody,

It is interesting because since I moved to CA I know longer enjoy Pizza, Mexican food is much better but Pizza just does not interest me any longer. Any other transplanted Midwesterners who have experienced this phenomena?

KCWolfman
07-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Cody, That's easy. I just left the joint.

The Dish in Liberty.... first the dough, then the toppings (Pepperoni, Sausage, Bermuda Onions, Black Olives, and Green Peppers), then a healthy garnishment of provolone and mozarrela, then the sauce on top. It is a deep dish from Heaven itself.

Then out of the oven and grate fresh parmesan on top.

Magnifique.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Why Jim? Have you gone mad!!!!!:eek:

CG

but seriously, why?:D

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2001, 09:27 PM
Damn you KCWolfman!!!!!! You are making me salivate!!!!

CG

can you hear my stomach...

milkman
07-08-2001, 10:16 PM
Jim,
I find I don't enjoy pizza nearly as much in Ca. as I did back in Kansas.

They just don't make good pizzas out here.
The best pizza I've had since coming to Ca. is Shakey's in Ventura, and that pizza pales in comparison to most of the pizza joints in Ks.

I don't get it.

Ah, but the mexican food. Ummmm!

Bob Dole
07-08-2001, 10:19 PM
Bob Dole ate at a California Pizza Kitchen once. It was enough to convince Bob Dole that Californians don't have a clue.

Sun dried tomato and some other rabbit food. Blech.

Bob Dole hasn't tried one of those "god pizzas" though. (Which really doesn't matter since you edited your d@mned post already...)

Rick Stephens
07-08-2001, 10:56 PM
I have got to agree with the others. In California it is very hard to find a good pizza place. We have Dominos, Pizza Hut and Papa John's, and Little Ceasers where I live but those pizza's taste like doctored up cardboard. About a two miles from my house is a good family owned Mexican restaurant. They have the best food and it is much cheaper than pizza. I eat there sometimes twice a week.

California Injun
07-08-2001, 11:54 PM
Another innocent topic took a horrible anti-Cali turn. This native must load up the mortars again in its defense.

#1 - California Pizza Kitchen is a fag-type restaurant that is not representative of what pizza is out here of the coast. One look at the menu tells you those dopes ran out of ideas on what to name their place.

#2 - Papa Murphy's is a killer place to grab a cheap pizza. You cook them in your own oven after buying it freshly prepared in their joint. You save about 40-50% on the price and it is piping hot on your plate.

Finally, when did pizza move up the food chain anyways? Pizza is freaking dough and condiments.

To get a good variety of pizza hit the Italian joints as they sometimes have killer dough. Another hot tip to save some cash and make your own?

Order pizza dough from your favorite Italian place. THEN you can add whatever you want to it!!!!

A great pizza can be had ANYWHERE if you open up your mind.

(Last mortar fired from this West Coast foxhole)

:p

DanT
07-09-2001, 12:26 AM
There's lots of great pizza in Chicago. My favorite of the larger local chains is Edwardo's. Giordano's is good, too. Both are famous for stuffed pizzas. The spinach pizza is great at both places. I live in Little Italy and get lots of pizza slices at local favorite Pompeii. There I'm most likely to get thin slices topped with anchovies or pizza strudels filled with sweet and sour chicken.

Other favorite toppings include my sweetheart's Chinese eggplant recipe; potatoes and asparagus; the BBQ chicken at Geppetto's in Oak Park; canadian bacon and pineapple, and all the standard combinations like sausage, mushroom, onion and green peppers or pepperoni and mushroom.

DaWolf
07-09-2001, 12:50 AM
There are many great pizza places around Berkeley, I am partial to Zach's. Deep disk kicks ***.

BTW, 11 years ago when I was in KC, I was partial to the BBQ pizza at Pizza Hut. Haven't missed any food as much as I missed that. Well, that and Captain D's hush puppies...

47mack
07-09-2001, 04:14 AM
Romanos

It is far beyond a pizza joint, but they have the best B-B-Q chicken pizza

Rain Man
07-09-2001, 11:11 PM
When I lived in St. Louis, I used to salivate over Imo's pizza. Anyone out there go to Imo's? And the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago is top-notch, too.

Frazod
07-09-2001, 11:27 PM
Dan, I'm surprised you didn't mention Gino's East when talking about Chicago pizza. Best friggin pizza on the planet, IMHO (love that charred pepperoni). The first time I went there was a 45 minute wait, which I thought was ridiculous. But after I ate it, I realized it was well worth the wait.

Giordanos and Edwardos are pretty good, though.

Easily the best thing about Chicago is the food. Can't think of much else, though.... :D

DanT
07-09-2001, 11:39 PM
Yeah, Gino's East is pretty good, if you can handle the long wait to be seated! I like their cornmeal crust a lot. You better have an insane love of sausage though if you order it on your pizza there. They put a dense layer on, and I mean layer--it covers every square inch of the crust!

Logical
07-09-2001, 11:40 PM
DaWolf,

Do you have Oscar's there, while I really do not consider it pizza, there BBQ chicken pizza is to die for.

CalInjun

I agree that no one should consider California Pizza Kitchen representative. Unfortunately the other two places mentioned are not an option here in San Diego. The ordering Pizza dough idea is a good one, I may try that.

I am not a lover of deep thick crust pizza but if I was I would admit that Stuft Pizza is probably pretty good to most peoples palates. But the rest is cardboard pizza like Rick said from Pizza Slut, Dominoes, and Papa Johns.

Actually Dominoes in the midwest was several times better than anything out here for real pizza.

Hey, Rick you live near those little pieces of Mexican debauchery that go by the name of Albertos or Aibertos or half a dozen variations. They are cheezy looking but oh the Carne Asada Burritos.

I agree the mom and pop local Mexican restaraunts are the best.

Frazod
07-09-2001, 11:42 PM
The sausage thing is easy - I don't like sausage on pizza (unless I'm in New York, where what they consider sausage is actually sliced meatballs).

Gino's pepperoni pizza is the sh!t!!!!

BTW, did you move yet?

DanT
07-10-2001, 12:12 AM
Not yet, Frazod. In two weeks the movers will take almost all of my stuff out to Davis, but I won't be out there for good until the beginning of November. In the mean time, I'm going to crash at my old college roommate's apartment and live out of a couple of suitcases. He lives on the eastern edge of Pilsen, not too far from Chinatown. Kind of a rough neighborhood, but the Mexican and Chinese food around there is great!

Rausch
07-10-2001, 12:23 AM
I work at a pizza place so my appetite for it is greatly deminished....:rolleyes:

But if ever in Jeff City, Arris's is the best....by far....

morphius
07-10-2001, 12:37 AM
In Omaha everyone seems to like Zio's, a friend of mine had his friends deliver him a pizza when the visited him out in Denver. They felt pretty stupid carrying a pizza box on the flight though.

For some reason I'm currently on a Godfathers trip, Wed a large Pep for under $7.

Morphius
Could eat pizza for every meal, mmm pizza

Pitt Gorilla
07-10-2001, 12:39 AM
Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia, MO. Famous and with good reason.

Rausch
07-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Never been there....hmmmmmmm....

Thick or thin crust?....What's da' cost fer' a large single topping, if ya' remember?

:D

philfree
07-10-2001, 12:44 AM
If your ever in Springfield, MO. go to McSalty's, it's the best pizza I've ever had. Whole wheat crust and the freshest ingredients. I prefer Pork Sausage, Pepperoni and Jalapeno or Canadian Bacon (the real stuff) Pinnapple and Jalapeno. Awsome!

PhilFree :cool:

Baby Lee
07-10-2001, 08:28 AM
St. Louis -
1. Talayna's - Chicago style. Its practically a casserole.
2. Racanelli's - New York style. As a bonus, they usually give you New York attitude too,
3. Imo's - the 'White Castles' of Pizza, cheap but prone to cravings.

Jeff City - ditto on Arris'

Columbia - ditto on Shakespeare's

overall - 1. Talayna's, then 2. Shakespeares

Bob Dole
07-10-2001, 08:38 AM
McSalty's is still around?

Ahhh...the memories.

There used to be a place in the old firehouse down on National(?) that cut their square pies in square slices. (Seems like it was King's Pizza.) They had a most excellent crust that had a little sweetness to it that offset the spices in their sauce nicely.

KC Jones
07-10-2001, 09:35 AM
I LOVE Minsky's pizza here in KC. I've enver had a better white pizza, and their Papa Minsky is another solid choice. The Minsky's at 51st and Main is better than the satellites though. The owner has a green house and grows his own herbs. It's all made with fresh high quality stuff. I've never had a better pizza. They offer a lot of exotic pizzas too - buffalo wing pizza, barbecue pizza, thai peanut pizza, etc.

Phobia
07-10-2001, 09:52 AM
Happy Joes - although they aren't around much any longer..... I LOVE their sour kraut & canadian bacon.

I, too enjoy the original Uno's in Chitown - deep dish doesn't get any better than in Chicago.

California Pizza Kitchen is much better if you don't really think of it as pizza. I like their tai pizzas. They have a tandoori chicken and a peanut sauce spicy chicken varieties that I enjoy.

Phobia
07-10-2001, 09:53 AM
also, Godfathers was a staple growing up but the two we have in Houston don't quite measure up to midwest Godfathers....

Mark M
07-10-2001, 10:10 AM
McSalty's brings back some memories, as well as a little heart burn! Great stuff!

Best pie I ever had was from the old Big Cheese Pizza off of 350 Highway and Gregory. Had a friend who worked there and one day he made a masterpiece.

Other than that, the only place that delivers to my house is Pizza Hut. Thier super supreme is tolerable, but not great. :( I miss Papa John's.

Anyone else here ever go to Fun House pizza? Scary stuff ...

MM
~~Getting hungry.

BIG_DADDY
07-10-2001, 10:12 AM
Contrary to most people think, pizza came from America and not Italy. When I was in Italy though I fell in love with the Pizza that I had there. Super thin crust and crispy with no more than 4 toppings. THe red sauce was out of this world. The closest I have been able to find is Adolfo's in San Mateo although I think I preffer Cappolini's in the same town.

KCPHILLY
07-10-2001, 09:04 PM
It's been years, but am I the only one who used to eat Torrie's slices from the truck at 2:00 am in Westport? I used to love that stuff...

... Of course I never tried it sober. :rolleyes:

KS Smitty
07-10-2001, 09:07 PM
Mrs. Smitty got a pizza rock for Christmas 2 years ago and there aint been nothin better since. Especially when she doctors up the sauce with fresh herbs, garlic etc. Haven't found "storebought" or restaurant made that compares.