PDA

View Full Version : Nasa outlines manned Mars vision

keg in kc
11-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Good stuff...

Nasa outlines manned Mars vision (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7116834.stm)

By Paul Rincon
Science reporter, BBC News

Nasa has released details of its strategy for sending a human crew to Mars within the next few decades.

The US space agency envisages despatching a "minimal" crew on a 30-month round trip to the Red Planet in a 400,000kg (880,000lb) spacecraft.

Details of the concept were outlined at a meeting in Houston, Texas.

In January 2004, President George W Bush launched a programme for returning humans to the Moon by 2020 and - at an undetermined date - to Mars.

The "Mars ship" would be assembled in low-Earth orbit using three to four Ares V rockets - the new heavy-lift launch vehicle that Nasa has been developing.

Notionally despatched in February 2031, the mission's journey from Earth to Mars would take six to seven months in a spacecraft powered by an advanced cryogenic fuel propulsion system.

Estimates of the cost of mounting a manned Mars mission vary enormously, from $20bn to $450bn.

The details are highly subject to change, and may not represent the way Nasa eventually chooses to go to the Red Planet.

However, the document says this is the agency's current "best strategy" for landing humans on the Martian surface.

Grow your own

The cargo lander and surface habitat would be sent to Mars separately, launched before the crew in December 2028 and January 2029.

According to the Nasa presentation seen by BBC News, astronauts could grow their own fruit and vegetables on the way.

Once there, astronauts could spend up to 16 months on the Martian surface, and would use nuclear energy to power their habitat.

But the document points out that options for aborting the mission or furnishing the crew with new supplies would be extremely limited.

The difficulties of re-supply mean the astronauts would have to be remarkably self-sufficient.

They would need to be well-versed in the maintenance and repair of equipment and perhaps even able to manufacture new parts.

Recycled water

The spacecraft itself would be equipped with so-called "closed-loop" life support systems, in which air and water would be recycled.

Plants would be grown onboard to feed the crew and contribute to the "psychological health" of the astronauts.

But the report, authored by Nasa official Bret Drake, who sits on the agency's Robotic and Human Lunar Expeditions Strategic Roadmap Committee, says that many challenges remain for ensuring safe passage for the crew.

Nasa needs to come up with solutions for effectively protecting the astronauts from the high levels of cosmic radiation they will be exposed to in deep space and on the surface of Mars.

They will also need medical equipment for the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses or injuries.

Nasa proposes using the Moon as a testing ground for many of these new systems.

Details of the plan, which comes under Nasa's new Constellation programme, were presented at a meeting of Nasa's Lunar Exploration and Analysis Group.

Donger
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Most excellent.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Ultimately, ventures like this will determine the survival of the human race.

KCFalcon59
11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
2031? I'll be 66. I'll probably miss it all. damn.

Skip Towne
11-28-2007, 10:39 PM
At my age I don't think I need to worry about it. Considering all of the technological advances in my lifetime (born in 1945) I'll bet really fantastic shit happens in the next 50 years. My mother was born 12 years after the airplane was invented. Prepare to be amazed at what happens.

cdcox
11-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Do you live in 1955 Russia? I plan to live way past 66.

Donger
11-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Ultimately, ventures like this will determine the survival of the human race.

Really? I'm surprised that you feel that way. Good for you!

Valiant
11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Maybe we can force the Japanese, Chinese or Russians into a Space race and jump start this faster then a couple of decades.. Lets say 2015...

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
The aliens will destroy our craft as soon as it enters orbit. NASA will cover it up by blaming a rogue asteroid or something.

bowener
11-28-2007, 11:09 PM
With China getting heavily involved in space travel, I can see programs like this suddenly getting some big attention with lots of money. As for additional supplies, or replacement parts for "just in case" situations, why dont they just send some to Mars a few years ahead of time... but that wouldnt make for a future fantastic-nailbiting-tragic space flick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Really? I'm surprised that you feel that way. Good for you!

There are few things I'm more passionate about than space research. Perhaps that's because I caught the astronomy bug as a kid. A lot of it could be Carl Sagan. I'm probably one of 10 people on earth who have the entire set of Cosmos on DVD.

People think too short term in many regards. Space holds the keys for our future. Even someone like BEP should get behind it. Several asteroids have trillions of dollars of metals in them.

FAX
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
The aliens will destroy our craft as soon as it enters orbit. NASA will cover it up by blaming a rogue asteroid or something.

Here's the way I see it going down, Mr. GoChiefs. We land smack dab on the left cheek of the Mars Face. Suddenly, the ground begins to tremble violently. To the right, an enormous rock formation emerges from the dusty, red soil. Then, another identical formation to the left breaks the surface, the Face heaves upward, moans, and a giant stone hand smashes the lander into grit. On Earth, contact with the lander is lost as the giant Mars man stretches, yawns, and stands after being awakened from a sleep that lasted 4000 centuries.

FAX

Donger
11-28-2007, 11:14 PM
There are few things I'm more passionate about than space research. Perhaps that's because I caught the astronomy bug as a kid. A lot of it could be Carl Sagan. I'm probably one of 10 people on earth who have the entire set of Cosmos on DVD.

People think too short term in many regards. Space holds the keys for our future. Even someone like BEP should get behind it. Several asteroids have trillions of dollars of metals in them.

Indeed. It is the future, whether we like it or not.

I'm glad to see that you are correct about something... :-)

FAX
11-28-2007, 11:16 PM

It is exciting, you have to admit, Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins. NASA is better than anybody at coming up with innovative ways to blow really expensive sh*t to smithereens.

FAX

Donger
11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
It is exciting, you have to admit, Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins. NASA is better than anybody at coming up with innovative ways to blow really expensive sh*t to smithereens.

FAX

I'm actually optimistic about the new program. The shuttles were a clusterf*ck from day one.

Discuss Thrower
11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Beh. Coming from a kid who has loved space and sci-fi nerdy things since being able to walk.

This won't happen. Popular opinion doesn't give a shit about the conquest of space. Only the conquest of Britney Spears' vagina.

FAX
11-28-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm actually optimistic about the new program. The shuttles were a clusterf*ck from day one.

I feel the same way, Mr. Donger. I just wish they weren't in the pockets of the Illuminati and sitting on the zero-point energy technology. Nevertheless, they need to do something worthwhile. China will have lasers pointing at us from the moon in less than a decade. Maybe if we claim Mars, we can build a super laser that can shoot their moon laser from there?

FAX

Donger
11-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I feel the same way, Mr. Donger. I just wish they weren't in the pockets of the Illuminati and sitting on the zero-point energy technology. Nevertheless, they need to do something worthwhile. China will have lasers pointing at us from the moon in less than a decade. Maybe if we claim Mars, we can build a super laser that can shoot their moon laser from there?

FAX

That would be one, bitchin laser, FAX.

Guru
11-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Old fart!!!!

I will be excited and my grandkids will not understand the significance of it at all.

KCFalcon59
11-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Do you live in 1955 Russia? I plan to live way past 66.

Based on my fathers side of the family, that is above average life span.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Old fart!!!!

I will be excited and my grandkids will not understand the significance of it at all.

They will be too busy interfacing with their neural jacks.

FAX
11-28-2007, 11:38 PM
That would be one, bitchin laser, FAX.

All the better to smoke some devilish Chinese A-nauts.

FAX

Donger
11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
All the better to smoke some devilish Chinese A-nauts.

FAX

Taikonauts. They are called taikonauts.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2007, 11:41 PM
In fact, I bet when we begin to assemble the vehicle that will take us to mars, the orbital drydock will have some kind of "malfunction" and everything will get blown to hell. They will blame it on human error or faulty equipment...but the truth is, the aliens are quarantining this planet.

FAX
11-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Taikonauts. They are called taikonauts.

I shall call them Chang Highs.

FAX

Jenson71
11-29-2007, 01:01 AM
That's awesome, I'll only be in my early 40s. Based on the numbers, I should be alive til about 2064 or so. Add in advancements in health and medicine, maybe almost 2070 is more like it. If I reach to be a century, I will have lived til the year 2087. Hopefully I have a plasma TV by then.

Man this is like Christmas Eve!!

Alton deFlat
11-29-2007, 09:03 AM
That's awesome! I'll be 73, and plan on being around for this.

Ultra Peanut
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
This is ****ing awesome.

Pushead2
11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
7 months is a long time with no sex or beating the meat.

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 12:03 PM

If I was NASA I'd pay a whore 50,000 to go along on the ride. Can't hurt.

MahiMike
11-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Biggest waste of money since the Iraq war. Why in the galaxy do we need this?

FAX
11-29-2007, 01:02 PM

No problem, Mr. Pushead2. NASA developed a pill induce a form of apathy that makes you just want to sit around and look at the lights on your computer and pick wax out of your ears for days at a time. It was invented for the engineers after they blew up the Deep Space 2 probes.

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM

The planet will not last forever.

FAX
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Because we can terraform Mars and turn it into a resort hotel with gambling and showgirls. Duh.

FAX

Gonzo
11-29-2007, 01:21 PM
My views of this may be a little different...

While I am all for the human race to strive for the next frontier, nay to boldly go where no douchebag has gone before, perhaps we should explore inward first.

The race will find a way to continue out of necessity.
It is an eventuallity. However, this is a smoke and mirror act by the current administration to try and distract the middle to upper class populous from current issues.
Why must the public invest billions of dollars to explore a planet that will be unable to support life? Is the earth going to be destroyed in the next 100 years? I doubt it. I am in no way bashing our commander in chief or trying to push politics whatsoever. I want to know why can't we invest that money into the following:

1. Debt: Is there not still a trillion dollar deficit?

2. Poverty: Either develop more assistance programs or get to the soylent green.

3. Education: I see stupid people daily.

4. Healthcare: Canada knows it's shit.

Therefore, before the comic-con population begins pinching their nipples in anticipation, perhaps we should look to old Mr. Jenkins and his granddaughter on the street, illiterate and dying from pnumonia.

Then again, it would be kinda cool to see a planet that looks like Oklahoma without the Semi-Trucks and lot lizards.

Ultra Peanut
11-29-2007, 02:04 PM
**** old Mr. Jenkins.

chiefsfan987
11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Sounds pretty cool, but I'll be suprised if it doesn't end in tragedy or disappointment.

Rausch
11-29-2007, 02:43 PM

For starters, there's no plan B. I'd like to have a choice which rock I spin on.

Second, we still don't know if there's life there or not. If there isn't we very well can make it possible. It won't happen overnight, and odds are it will take well over a century at best.

Did Europe need to find the new world?...

Ultra Peanut
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
That's the thing. If you don't start somewhere, you aren't going to get anywhere.

Fixing things at home and discovering new things out there aren't mutually exclusive.

FAX
11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Excellent point, Ms. Ultra Peanut.

They has this expert on coasttocoastam who said that we could grow algae on Mars that would create an atmosphere. He said it would only take a few billion years and should be ready about the time the sun blows up.

FAX

Donger
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM

While I am all for the human race to strive for the next frontier, nay to boldly go where no douchebag has gone before, perhaps we should explore inward first.

It is an eventuallity. However, this is a smoke and mirror act by the current administration to try and distract the middle to upper class populous from current issues.
Why must the public invest billions of dollars to explore a planet that will be unable to support life? Is the earth going to be destroyed in the next 100 years? I doubt it. I am in no way bashing our commander in chief or trying to push politics whatsoever. I want to know why can't we invest that money into the following:

2. Poverty: Either develop more assistance programs or get to the soylent green.

Therefore, before the comic-con population begins pinching their nipples in anticipation, perhaps we should look to old Mr. Jenkins and his granddaughter on the street, illiterate and dying from pnumonia.

Then again, it would be kinda cool to see a planet that looks like Oklahoma without the Semi-Trucks and lot lizards.

So, we have to create Utopia here first? Sorry, but I disagree. But, I do agree that we only send people who know when to "its" and when to use "it's"

Donger
11-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Excellent point, Ms. Ultra Peanut.

They has this expert on coasttocoastam who said that we could grow algae on Mars that would create an atmosphere. He said it would only take a few billion years and should be ready about the time the sun blows up.

FAX

Mars already has an atmosphere.

Gonzo
11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
So, we have to create Utopia here first? Sorry, but I disagree.

No, not a utopia per say but perhaps we turn some of the ingenuity and intelligence (and money) towards the current state of affairs. I'm a realist, there will always be problems and concerns but I doubt now is the time to be playing Star Trek.

FAX
11-29-2007, 04:07 PM

He meant a big one. You know, one that you can breathe and pollute and stuff.

FAX

Discuss Thrower
11-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Yes, but a really fragile, carbon dioxide laden and cold one. Not to mention the fact the planet doesn't have protective belt like we have here. We are damned lucky to have that.

Donger
11-29-2007, 04:36 PM
No, not a utopia per say but perhaps we turn some of the ingenuity and intelligence (and money) towards the current state of affairs. I'm a realist, there will always be problems and concerns but I doubt now is the time to be playing Star Trek.

So, when is the right time?

Donger
11-29-2007, 04:37 PM
He meant a big one. You know, one that you can breathe and pollute and stuff.

FAX

;)

Delano
11-29-2007, 04:38 PM
It is an eventuallity.

I am under the impression that the point of the trip to Mars is "finding a way to continue."

Relying on nature to reach an equilibrium or man to find new technology at the last second is not ideal.

FAX
11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Why can't we bypass Mars and go to that constellation where all the Greys are from and abduct a few of those little bastards? I'll bet that would surprise the heck out of them.

FAX

Easy 6
11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
I dunno know, i'm afraid that Gary Sinise, Val Kilmer & Tim Robbins may be too old to pull this off...

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Why can't we bypass Mars and go to that constellation where all the Greys are from and abduct a few of those little bastards? I'll bet that would surprise the heck out of them.

FAX

The greys would atomize our starship if we tried anything aggressive. Or, more than likely, laugh at us as we tried to do something and then did the "intergalactic space war" version of grabbing our head and giving us a noogie.

Donger
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
The greys would atomize our starship if we tried anything aggressive.

They actually aren't bad fellas.

FAX
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
The greys would atomize our starship if we tried anything aggressive. ...

Let's send Mr. Zouk and find out.

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Yeah I know, my bad. I added the true scenario to my post. It's the reptilian ones you gotta watch out for. But the ones that are made of pure energy control the greys and the reptilians, so it's all good.

Donger
11-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah I know, my bad. I added the true scenario to my post. It's the reptilian ones you gotta watch out for. But the ones that are made of pure energy control the greys and the reptilians, so it's all good.

Just don't call refer to them as "Grays." That really pisses them off.

mikey23545
11-29-2007, 05:17 PM

You tell 'em.

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Just don't call refer to them as "Grays." That really pisses them off.

Not at all. In fact that is part of the reason they are so curious about us terrans. The greys are almost devoid of emotion. Their "interbreeding" efforts, i.e. why they abduct people, are reaching towards the ultimate goal of creating a human/grey hybrid with the massive intellectual capacity that they possess combined with the emotional awareness that we do. That is also why they cannot understand why humans react with such terror toward abductions. They have no concept of terror. That is also why they work with human governments to hide their presence, because a full-scale revelation would pitch the planet into chaos.

Meanwhile the reptilians just want to rape our planet and destroy all life. But thankfully the pure energy ETs are in control.

Donger
11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Not at all. In fact that is part of the reason they are so curious about us terrans. The greys are almost devoid of emotion. Their "interbreeding" efforts, i.e. why they abduct people, are reaching towards the ultimate goal of creating a human/grey hybrid with the massive intellectual capacity that they possess combined with the emotional awareness that we do. That is also why they cannot understand why humans react with such terror toward abductions. They have no concept of terror. That is also why they work with human governments to hide their presence, because a full-scale revelation would pitch the planet into chaos.

Meanwhile the reptilians just want to rape our planet and destroy all life. But thankfully the pure energy ETs are in control.

Om my God. I think I just figured it out...

Herm is a reptilian/human hybrid.

mikey23545
11-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Yeah, you're probably right....After all, we spend a hundred dollar bill on social programs and we'll still have stupid, illiterate old Mr. Jenkins never planning for the future and passing his worthless life away seeking sympathy in the gutters of our streets.

But by God, if we could just get our hands on the one dollar bill they spend on space exploration, we could solve the earth's problems.

We need space travel just so I can get away from ignorant, steaming piles of dog feces like yourself.

JBucc
11-29-2007, 06:25 PM
So, we have to create Utopia here first? Sorry, but I disagree. But, I do agree that we only send people who know when to "its" and when to use "it's"He used it right. Canada knows it's shit. Canada knows it is shit. Seems right to me.

Gonzo
11-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah, you're probably right....After all, we spend a hundred dollar bill on social programs and we'll still have stupid, illiterate old Mr. Jenkins never planning for the future and passing his worthless life away seeking sympathy in the gutters of our streets.

But by God, if we could just get our hands on the one dollar bill they spend on space exploration, we could solve the earth's problems.

We need space travel just so I can get away from ignorant, steaming piles of dog feces like yourself.
Wow, you take space travel a little personally don't you? Well, if you think jetting off to an uninhabitable planet will solve all of your problems like bacne, lonely Friday nights and dick chaffing from excessive masturbation then go right ahead.
It's individuals like you who cannot participate in logical conversations without getting heated and personal.
Enjoy pleasing "uranus" with your limited edition Han Solo figurine.

FAX
11-29-2007, 06:41 PM

If they would leave the probes at home, you might have an argument.

FAX

Lzen
11-29-2007, 07:33 PM
With China getting heavily involved in space travel, I can see programs like this suddenly getting some big attention with lots of money. As for additional supplies, or replacement parts for "just in case" situations, why dont they just send some to Mars a few years ahead of time... but that wouldnt make for a future fantastic-nailbiting-tragic space flick.

They are planning to send a HAB unit (habitat) as well as other things ahead of time. If anyone is interested in this kind of thing, the Science channel is currently running a series called Mars Rising. It touches on all the challenges involved in a Mars mission. Very interesting stuff. Also, for a sci-fi novel on going to Mars for the purpose of exploring and eventually terra forming the planet, try reading the book Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Lzen
11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

There will be male and female astronauts. And NASA does not exactly discourage sex.

Lzen
11-29-2007, 07:38 PM

This kind of attitude is why it takes so long for new discoveries to happen. Hell, why even go outside of your house? There can only be danger lurking. There are multitudes of reasons for why we would want to do this. Do you have any clue as to how the moon landing affected the morale of the people in the US? Do you have any clue as to how many things have been invented/discovered due to the works of the space program?

Lzen
11-29-2007, 07:39 PM

Unfortunately, it is poisonous carbon dioxide.

Lzen
11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
So, when is the right time?

For people who follow that line of thought, never.

Ultra Peanut
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
No no no no no. We'll just wait and wait and wait and then everything will magically come together.

Mars' future is as a quiet backwater. And that is awesome.

FAX
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm all for going to Mars. In fact, I'd volunteer to take the ride. But, let's think this thing through.

Maybe there's bacterial life on Mars, the discovery of which would be very cool. Maybe there's evidence of an ancient, long-dead civilization which would explain people like Mr. Zouk. Maybe in the process of preparing for and actually making the trip and establishing a settlement, we invent lots of stuff we can use on Earth like the flowbee and ziplock bags.

Other than that, what benefits does traveling to Mars provide? Are there precious elements there we can use?

FAX

keg in kc
11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow, you take space travel a little personally don't you? Well, if you think jetting off to an uninhabitable planet will solve all of your problems like bacne, lonely Friday nights and dick chaffing from excessive masturbation then go right ahead.

It's individuals like you who cannot participate in logical conversations without getting heated and personal.

Enjoy pleasing "uranus" with your limited edition Han Solo figurine.Irony strikes again.

stumppy
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
They are planning to send a HAB unit (habitat) as well as other things ahead of time. If anyone is interested in this kind of thing, the Science channel is currently running a series called Mars Rising. It touches on all the challenges involved in a Mars mission. Very interesting stuff. Also, for a sci-fi novel on going to Mars for the purpose of exploring and eventually terra forming the planet, try reading the book Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I've been watching it. Pretty good show. One thing I thought extra interesting was the atmosphere on mars is so thin they're going to need a parachute the size of the Rose Bowl in order to slow the module down enough to land.

MrNightly
11-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok, so i'm new here.... quick question:

Are the comments of the Grey's and Reptilians for real? or just making fun of those that believe they exist?

Thanks!

And i think that the Mar's trip is Brilliant. Won't ever happen the way they are planning, but once some of the other Countries in the world get involved, watch out. I feel like we are on the edge of technology no one can imagine! Very exciting times!

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Are the comments of the Grey's and Reptilians for real? or just making fun of those that believe they exist?

The truth is out there.

FAX
11-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, so i'm new here.... quick question:

Thanks!

And i think that the Mar's trip is Brilliant. Won't ever happen the way they are planning, but once some of the other Countries in the world get involved, watch out. I feel like we are on the edge of technology no one can imagine! Very exciting times!

The Greys are real, Mr. MrNightly. They're running around probing people like there's no tomorrow (which may well explain Mr. Donger's feelings toward them, by the way).

The Reptillians, however, are the figment of overactive imaginations. It's just silly. They are more like moose with their giant fuzzy heads, radio helmets, and big teeth.

FAX

Third Eye
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Does it really matter? It's all going to end in 2012 anyway, right?

Donger
11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
The Greys are real, Mr. MrNightly. They're running around probing people like there's no tomorrow (which may well explain Mr. Donger's feelings toward them, by the way).

They are surprisingly gentle and have some asstrolube that is to die for.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-29-2007, 11:19 PM

So my Mayan calendar says.

Third Eye
11-29-2007, 11:29 PM
So my Mayan calendar says.
Don't forget Terrence Mckenna's Timewave Zero. Also, the latest Nostradamus rage says 2012 too, although I think they kind of hopped on the bandwagon.

FAX
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
They are surprisingly gentle and have some asstrolube that is to die for.

That reminds me, Mr. Donger. There was this psychiatrist from Harvard named Dr. John Mack, I think, who began investigating the alien abduction phenomenon because he thought it might be related to childhood sexual abuse. You know, where people who suffered as a child were re-living the experience in extremely vivid dreams. He interviewed a whole bunch of abductees and eventually came to the conclusion that the abductions were actually real.

Anyhow, he wrote a book about it (I don't recall the name) and became a regular speaker at UFO conferences. I was thinking that, because these same people were being abducted time and time again during the night, he could figure out ways for them to protect themselves from the aliens. Like, for example, keep tasers under the pillow to shoot them with or put high frequency radio transmitters in the bedroom to freak out their alien ears or something, but he didn't do any of that. He didn't even suggest that they lube up before going to bed at night to help with the embarrassing and nagging anal irritation caused by the probes.

Given all that, I don't think he really believed it at all and was just after fame and fortune.

FAX

FAX
11-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Don't forget Terrence Mckenna's Timewave Zero. Also, the latest Nostradamus rage says 2012 too, although I think they kind of hopped on the bandwagon.

The Hopi Indians too, Mr. Third Eye. They also maintained that 2012 (in their method of calculating time) marked the end of the age.

Apparently, our sun lines up with the center of the galaxy and God is going to smush us big time. Bring it, I say. I have invested heavily in canned food, bottled water, and sled dog semen, so I'm ready.

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
11-29-2007, 11:35 PM
FAX, there is an interesting theory, which I put some stock in, that alien abductions are completely hallucinated by sleep-deprived people. This dude went on a sleep-dep bike race (each biker had a support group), and at the 40-hour mark he collapsed. His group put him down for an hour's nap. When he woke up he got on the bike, and then immediately started hallucinating that his group's trailer was a UFO. He went nuts, they took him down again, and he hallucinated that they were aliens ****ing with him. He woke up six hours later with no memory of the event or the "lost time," i.e. what abductees often report experiencing.

Very interesting theory. I better get to bed.

FAX
11-29-2007, 11:46 PM
FAX, there is an interesting theory, which I put some stock in, that alien abductions are completely hallucinated by sleep-deprived people. This dude went on a sleep-dep bike race (each biker had a support group), and at the 40-hour mark he collapsed. His group put him down for an hour's nap. When he woke up he got on the bike, and then immediately started hallucinating that his group's trailer was a UFO. He went nuts, they took him down again, and he hallucinated that they were aliens ****ing with him. He woke up six hours later with no memory of the event or the "lost time," i.e. what abductees often report experiencing.

Very interesting theory. I better get to bed.

Maybe. It works for me. Up to a point. I saw a documentary about alien abductions some time ago, Mr. GoChiefs and, in this film, they interviewed a chick who was first abducted as a small child. During that abduction, she met a young boy who was also abducted. Well, it so happened that she had a toy with her which was given to the boy while on the alien ship and during the actual abduction.

Later in life, she developed this "feeling" that the boy was Irish (or whatever) based on her interaction with him on the spaceship. I suppose he had a tiny, little brogue. Anyway, now in her twenties, she was interviewed for the documentary and related her story.

After the film was released, a man contacted the producer via email who passed the communication on to the girl. The man had her toy. He was Irish. He had never been regressed, but had terrible dreams that indicated a repressed abduction memory.

No cows were mentioned.

FAX

bowener
11-30-2007, 01:03 AM
There are some cool abduction stories out there, like the true story that "fire in the sky" is based upon. Have any of you read about Aurora, Texas in 1897? Preflight era some kind of UFO crashed... supposedly.

dr00d
11-30-2007, 01:22 AM
At my age I don't think I need to worry about it. Considering all of the technological advances in my lifetime (born in 1945) I'll bet really fantastic shit happens in the next 50 years. My mother was born 12 years after the airplane was invented. Prepare to be amazed at what happens.

That explains why you are such a grumpy prick.

Old man.

Lzen
11-30-2007, 06:55 AM
I've been watching it. Pretty good show. One thing I thought extra interesting was the atmosphere on mars is so thin they're going to need a parachute the size of the Rose Bowl in order to slow the module down enough to land.

Yeah, that surprised me. I mean, I knew the Martian atmosphere was thin, but I didn't realize that would require a Rose Bowl sized parachute. Of course, the other way is to use the rocket engines to slow them down. Obviously, the parachute idea is not the greatest. The testing isn't going well, either.

Lzen
11-30-2007, 07:02 AM
That explains why you are such a grumpy prick.

Old man.

Well it's good to know what made Skip a grumpy old prick. Now to figure out why dr00d is a grumpy prick. :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
11-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Maybe there's evidence of an ancient, long-dead civilization which would explain people like Mr. Zouk. There is.

It will lead us to Charon.

mikey23545
11-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Enjoy pleasing "uranus" with your limited edition Han Solo figurine.

Pay attention, moron. I never said space travel will solve the world's problems. I said your idiotic assumption that we must wait for all world problems to be solved before we can have any other undertakings is absurd, especially given that dumping hundreds of billions of dollars on poverty has had absolutely zero effect on the number of worthless people in the world, and always will.

Get a job.

stevieray
11-30-2007, 07:37 AM

We're definitely in the 70th week told about in the Book of Daniel.

FAX
11-30-2007, 07:44 AM
We're definitely in the 70th week told about in the Book of Daniel.

Is that the one where the Jews lose all their football games and the Messiah gets injured?

FAX

ROYC75
11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
If I was NASA I'd pay a whore 50,000 to go along on the ride. Can't hurt.

You planning on offering your services to them ? :hmmm:

Gonzo
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Pay attention, moron. I never said space travel will solve the world's problems. I said your idiotic assumption that we must wait for all world problems to be solved before we can have any other undertakings is absurd, especially given that dumping hundreds of billions of dollars on poverty has had absolutely zero effect on the number of worthless people in the world, and always will.

Get a job.

That's fine, I understand your point now that you have re-stated it in a more logical manner. Your still wrong, as usual. Tell me something, does the crap you spew from your pie hole come naturally or is it a product of ancestral incest?
The initial post I wrote had a small blurb about poverty and you have focused on that throughout. Perhaps you should learn to read the entire post. What about the deficit, which will cause recession? What about the healthcare issues? Do you have good insurance? If so, I hope it pays for the large amounts therapy you require.
I am all for the "Thinning of the herd" way of life. We should get started, you go first.

Easy 6
11-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Have any of you read about Aurora, Texas in 1897? Preflight era some kind of UFO crashed... supposedly.

A strange tale indeed, its hard to imagine people in those days making up stories about flying craft with little green men in them.

FAX
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
There are some cool abduction stories out there, like the true story that "fire in the sky" is based upon. Have any of you read about Aurora, Texas in 1897? Preflight era some kind of UFO crashed... supposedly.

I remember that one (from articles), Mr. bowener. Those crazy people actually found an alien and buried him in their cemetery. If they had the sense God gave Herm, they would have built a museum and charged people a buck and a half just to see him. An even better story is the Rendlesham deal. That one scared the crap out of the military personnel who went out to look for the alien craft. In that case, the aliens used their ray guns.

Have you ever seen the film of The Disclosure Project's presentation to the National Press Club? It's, frankly, amazing. Dozens of ex-military with previous top secret clearance detailing their experiences with aliens and crashed ships. There are so many, it's clear that the aliens learned to drive in LA.

Which reminds me. NASA already has access to reverse-engineered alien spacecraft which use zero-point energy fields and gravitational manipulation to move about at super high speeds. But, will they use that technology to go to Mars? Nooooo. We have to build our own rockets that cost billions because the Illuminati doesn't want people to know that we don't need fossil fuels any longer. Bastards of the first order, those Illuminati.

FAX

JohninGpt
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
...Bastards of the first order, those Illuminati.

FAX
Shhhhhhh, they're probably listening...and they are very sensitive about the bastard thing.

MrNightly
11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
How many posts to be able to PM?

:D I've got some questions I need answered... I love this thread! :D

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Shhhhhhh, they're probably listening...and they are very sensitive about the bastard thing.

Yes, we are.

FAX
12-01-2007, 12:17 AM
This is the final insult. The little bastards are now building their spaceships in the form of snack food.

-------------------

A UFO, described by witnesses as looking like a huge “Dorito” crisp has been filmed over the skies of the Black Country, according to a paranormal group. A flurry of calls has been made to Stourbridge-based UFO Research Midlands (UFORM) from those claiming to have witnessed the flying object in the sky. Witnesses say they spotted it in Halesowen heading towards Stourbridge on Wednesday at around 7pm.

UFORM is now appealing for anyone else who saw it to get in touch to help it compile its X-files.Steve Poole, UFORM chairman, said one man filmed more than 30 seconds of footage of the craft travelling in a westerly direction from Halesowen to Stourbridge. He said: “The object has been described as looking like a huge Dorito and had distinctive red lights on its underside, which moved position while the craft was flying.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/11/30/dorito-ufo-seen-in-skies/

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
12-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Probably just a ****ing stealth fighter.

FAX
12-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Probably just a ****ing stealth fighter.

Stealth fighters do not look like Doritos, Mr. GoChiefs. More like regular Tostitos.

According to the article, one of the witnesses shot some video of the bizarre, alien space chip. He said it flew overhead and then dipped.

FAX